You should add a TPMS to your shopping list! - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2018, 10:57 PM   #61

Name: Scott
Trailer: Escape
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
I would not buy any auto manufacturers TPMS system due to the change several years ago to a standardized detection scheme that only detects that one tire is lower than the others. None of their systems detect WHICH tire is low any more; monitoring of the ABS sensors is used to differentiate when one axle revolves differently than the rest, which happens when the diameter of one tire decreases due to deflation.

That's why your tire pressure warning dash light no longer indicates which tire.

They also don't monitor temperature at all as there is no longer a sensor inside the tire.

My 2016 Ford F-150 has individual sensors in each tire and displays individual tire pressures in real time on the console. I can watch each tire’s pressure go up 1 psi at a time as the tires warm up when I start driving, and the system promptly alerted me to a low pressure situation when I ran over a screw.
Old 09-28-2018, 07:42 PM   #62

Name: Doug
California
Registry
I have been using a TST TPMS for the last year or so with the valve cap sensors on my Scamp and the monitor on the dash of my Frontier. Sometimes a loss of signal but new batteries seem to help. What I noticed though is a wear spot on the tire rim where presumably the sensor is causing flex of the rubber valve stem and rubbing against the rim. One person on this thread recommended metal stems in a situation like this. Do any others have experience along these lines? Thx
DougOlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 07:54 PM   #63

Name: J
Isle of Wight
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougOlson View Post
I have been using a TST TPMS for the last year or so with the valve cap sensors on my Scamp and the monitor on the dash of my Frontier. Sometimes a loss of signal but new batteries seem to help. What I noticed though is a wear spot on the tire rim where presumably the sensor is causing flex of the rubber valve stem and rubbing against the rim. One person on this thread recommended metal stems in a situation like this. Do any others have experience along these lines? Thx
I thought metal stems were a requirement...
Mine are metal - no extra cost when getting new tires at Discount Tire.
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 07:59 PM   #64

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
I was at least one of the people who strongly suggested using metal valve stems and I stand by that recommendation. In my research I found at least one report echoing the situation that you seem to be experiencing - the valve stem flexing, and leading to eventual failure.

At my tire dealer the cost to dismount the tires and install metal stems was very little.

As for the loss of signal, its worth a call to TST describing the problem to see if they would sell you a repeater at cost. They might even do better than that since it seems to be a standard part of the kits now, but if they sell it at any price below retail then that might be the way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by widgetwizard View Post
I thought metal stems were a requirement...
Mine are metal - no extra cost when getting new tires at Discount Tire.
I was charged a dollar or two for the metal stems at DT.., a trivial expense.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 08:04 PM   #65

Name: David
Trailer: 2014 13' Scamp -standard w/ front bunk
Vermont
Quote:

TST specifies metal stems with the flow through sensors (you can add air without removing the sensor) but suggests that metal is not necessary for the 507 cap version. I have the latter but still use the metal stems as an added precaution. When I recently had my tire repaired at Canadian Tire they charged $2 extra for a metal stem.
WDavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 06:04 PM   #66

North Carolina
Had my first tire failure and the TMPS worked.

When I originally wrote the opening post in this thread it was based on reports that I had heard from a number of other people, rather than my own personal experience. I can now speak from my own first-hand experience and it strongly reinforces my belief that a tire pressure monitor system (TPMS) and metal valve stems should be on the shopping list for every owner of a molded fiberglass “egg” type camper, and it should be higher on that list than many of the fun but inessential items that often seem to make the list instead.

My last planned trip for 2018 was a relatively short one to Kerr Lake in the area of the Virginia – North Carolina state line. While traveling at 65 MPH through Greensboro, NC, I was periodically checking the TMPS display and all was normal until I heard a loud “beep-beep-beep…”. It took a full second or two for my brain to realize what what was beeping and for me to look at the display, which showed 41 PSI on the starboard side tire.

Luckily I was right at an exit ramp when the TPMS alarmed, so I took the exit and limped at slow speed into a parking lot. By the time I got out of the car with a pressure gauge and checked the tire, it registered no pressure at all. As far as I could tell this was not the result of a road hazard. As you can see from the photo, the tire was starting to disintegrate. If I did not have the TPMS I would have just kept driving at 65 MPH and within a few miles the tires would have been thrown apart, no doubt tearing out parts of the wheel well and perhaps the propane line and wiring which runs inside the camper along the floor’s edge at the wheel well.

But with the alarm from the TMPS, I was able to safely stop before any damage was done. I changed the tire and, also while I was in the parking lot, I gave not one, but two tours of the Scamp and had lunch before continuing on my way.

Admittedly, if one were to experience a sudden and catastrophic tire failure (perhaps from a road hazard) then the TPMS might not prevent damage to the camper from the tire flying apart. But in many cases (perhaps most), the tire will not self-destruct immediately and the TPMS will save you from unnecessary damage from a bad tire. In this case I am convinced that if I did not have the alarm sounding then I would have kept going until I ended up with damage much more expensive than the cost of the TMPS.

More details on the tire failure:

Tire: Greenball TT13175C ST175/80R13, Max load 1360 (at 50 PSI)
Tire born on date: 52ed week of 2014
Tire pressure adjusted to 50 PSI the morning of the trip.
Air temp at time of failure: 80° F
Speed at time of failure: 65 MPH
Shortly before the failure:
Tire temp as reported by TST sensor: 85
Tire pressure reported by TST sensor: 55

I knew when I picked up my Scamp (almost exactly three years ago) that the tires were marginal at best and already almost nine months old. Even though trailer tires are usually said to be good for 5-7 years, and these tires are not even four years old yet, I was planning on replacing them after this trip with tires of a reputable brand and with a higher load rating. I think that the tires Scamp is now using are rated at 1610 lbs (vs. the 1360 on mine), and have a speed rating of 75 MPH. The Maxxis 185/80R13 I am also considering has load rating of 1480 lbs. This will take some research but rest assured my new tires will not be Greenballs.
Attached Thumbnails
Tire Fail Oct 2018.jpg  
Old 10-10-2018, 08:55 PM   #67

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Thanks for the report! Four years is probably plenty for trailer tires, especially when we have only two.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 01:19 AM   #68

Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Deluxe B19 19 ft / 2007 Nissan Frontier V6 NISMO 4x4
I bought Maxxis - they're really well-rated and Discount Tire matched the best price I found online. I am putting a TPMS on my MUST buy asap list. Thank you for sharing your first-hand experience!
V'sGlassSleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 04:13 AM   #69

Name: Kevin
Trailer: In the market
South Carolina
Previously had a TPMS and then read too many reports of false pressure reading, and never updating the sensor reading. For $200 to $300 device cost this device should update every fifteen seconds from all four sensors. But there are many designs that specifically do not do this. And information is buried inside the obscure literature.

Just check your pressure before every trip. Try to get a TT with four tires. Have a mechanic check tires every six months visual. Replace tires after 36 months. Good to go.
offroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 04:29 AM   #70

Name: Scott
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad View Post
Previously had a TPMS and then read too many reports of false pressure reading, and never updating the sensor reading. For $200 to $300 device cost this device should update every fifteen seconds from all four sensors. But there are many designs that specifically do not do this. And information is buried inside the obscure literature.
Like with any other type of product made, there are well made products and poorly made ones. Problems with the poor ones does not mean there are no good ones. Sometimes you have to wade through all the junk to find the good stuff though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad View Post
Just check your pressure before every trip. Try to get a TT with four tires. Have a mechanic check tires every six months visual. Replace tires after 36 months. Good to go.

None of these things will prevent or save you when you pick up a nail or screw going down the road. TPMS is an early warning system when that happens that can save you from far more extensive damage than you might otherwise experience by continued driving.
Old 10-11-2018, 04:37 AM   #71

Name: Kevin
Trailer: In the market
South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
Like with any other type of product made, there are well made products and poorly made ones. Problems with the poor ones does not mean there are no good ones. Sometimes you have to wade through all the junk to find the good stuff though.

None of these things will prevent or save you when you pick up a nail or screw going down the road. TPMS is an early warning system when that happens that can save you from far more extensive damage than you might otherwise experience by continued driving.

That why you have steel belted radials. And also why you listen to tires and watch how the towed vehicle behaves. TPMS is another complexity. But —- if you have the money, make sure you buy a good one that has been tested and reviewed with lots of feedback.

And don’t do nitrogen air. The sensors have problems with it fir some reason.
offroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:12 AM   #72

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
... I think that the tires Scamp is now using are rated at 1610 lbs (vs. the 1360 on mine), and have a speed rating of 75 MPH. The Maxxis 185/80R13 I am also considering has load rating of 1480 lbs. This will take some research but rest assured my new tires will not be Greenballs.
Looks like I am going to get Carlisle 6H04521 tires:
1570 lbs at 65 PSI (Load range D)
$49.35 from Amazon, $63 at Discount Tire (before negotiations).

I might have to trim the starboard wheel well just a bit but that should be no problem.

Tire width, diameter (inches):
Original tires - 6.8, 24.0
Current Scamp supplied GlobalTrax - 7.01, 23.86
New Carlisle 6H04521 - 7, 24.1

I'll also continue to use my TST TPMS (despite recent advice that appears to be contrary which IMHO does not fairly evaluate the risks and the limitations of the system).
Old 10-30-2018, 08:31 AM   #73

North Carolina
I am quite happy with my Truck Systems Technology (TST) TPMS and their service / support. While there are less expensive systems around, I just purchased another system and I am staying with them.

While shopping I realized that a group buy could be done so that would make the price quite a bit lower. TST’s least expensive kit with two sensors is $219 however you could put together three systems for $143.25 each. The only difference is that two of the three systems would not have the repeater. The repeater is used for reliable operation with larger trailers and my system seems to work fine without it. You could add a repeater for $59 and that would put the total cost for each system at $182.58 which is still less than the 2 sensor kit.

So if three people wanted two sensor TST systems for $143.25 each (only one with the repeater):

1. Kit with six sensors (TST-507-RV-6*): $291.75
2. (2) Additional Display units (TST-507-D) 69.00 x 2 = $138
Total cost: 429.75 or $143.25 for each system (two without a repeater)

3. Add two repeaters (TST-510-R) $59 x 2 = $118 additional
Total cost: $547.75 or $182.58 for each system with repeater.

IMPORTANT: In a prior discussion with TST I confirmed that one could buy the displays separately and use them with the compatible sensors, and that the displays do include the power cord and mount. I believe that the only thing that you might kit in the pre-packaged kits that you might not get my assembling these systems from separate components is a few spare o-rings and screws. Shipping should be free from TST.

However you should confirm what you are getting, that it is a complete and compatible system, and that the prices and my math are correct. I offer this idea for a group-buy but assume no responsibility. I am not interested in arranging a group purchase. I do think that you can call TST to make sure you are getting what you need to assembly working systems. It is also possible that different configurations or larger base systems might result in larger savings.
Old 10-30-2018, 10:14 AM   #74

Name: Ed
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RT
Colorado
Uhttps://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Using this. Works real well.
IMEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 02:53 PM   #75

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
FWIW, I ordered individual components from the website. Two 507 cap sensors and the color display. It was $199.00 plus $6.95 shipping. Included were a couple of mounts for the display, various spare washers and the tool for the cap sensor security gadget. I ordered online but they called me to check on my planned use. They agreed I didn't need a repeater. Really nice folks to deal with and I've enjoyed having the system these last couple of trips.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 06:13 PM   #76

Name: David
Trailer: 2014 13' Scamp -standard w/ front bunk
Vermont
free TPMS components

I just upgraded my TST brand system from the 510 model to the 507 (TST is phasing out the 510 over the next few years). My old 510 components may be of interest to someone wanting to try out a TPMS for a relatively modest investment. I have two sensors that go on the tire, the battery in one appears to be dead, and I suspect the other may not have much life left. They can be sent back to TST for a battery replacement though last time I looked you could replace them with new units for about the same price ($50 each). I also have the monitor that goes in your TV and a booster antenna (which seems to be not necessary on our small trailers but they sent me a free one to try). More info at https://tsttruck.com/

I'm not sure if they are worth much to anyone but I’ll be happy to send all of these items to you for the cost of postage.
WDavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 06:29 PM   #77

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDavidG View Post
I just upgraded my TST brand system from the 510 model to the 507 (TST is phasing out the 510 over the next few years). My old 510 components may be of interest to someone wanting to try out a TPMS for a relatively modest investment. I have two sensors that go on the tire, the battery in one appears to be dead, and I suspect the other may not have much life left. They can be sent back to TST for a battery replacement though last time I looked you could replace them with new units for about the same price ($50 each). I also have the monitor that goes in your TV and a booster antenna (which seems to be not necessary on our small trailers but they sent me a free one to try). More info at https://tsttruck.com/

I'm not sure if they are worth much to anyone but I’ll be happy to send all of these items to you for the cost of postage.
Thats generous of you. I would assume one would need to spend $100 to replace the sensors but that still makes it a good deal. IIRC the sealed sensors are supposed to last about five years. And they are described as water proof (and therefore better for boat trailers) as opposed to the non-sealed sensors that are only "water resistant." I would fully expect TST to support 510 units that are already in the field for a long time, and note that they still list them for sale. So it sounds like a good deal and a good gamble for the longer term.
Old 11-03-2018, 12:58 PM   #78

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
...a group buy could be done ...

1. Kit with six sensors (TST-507-RV-6*): $291.75..
Well never-mind! The kit that I bought last week for $291.75 is now listed at $389 ! I guess I got quite a deal. I listed four of the six sensors on eBay.

I wonder if it was a mistake or a temporary offer. My invoice lists "Discounts: Marketing (1)" with no dollar figure.