Your ideal towing vehicle for Scamp 13'? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2014, 12:28 PM   #41

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Here's the ideal tow vehicle. Lots of power for going up those hills. Air cushion seats. Can see over many vehicles and can be seen.
Attached Images

Old 07-04-2014, 12:35 PM   #42

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Here's the ideal tow vehicle. Lots of power for going up those hills. Air cushion seats. Can see over many vehicles and can be seen.
Here it is with a matching 8ft trailer, ready for that mile of 1% grade ahead!...
Attached Images

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 12:38 PM   #43

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Here it is with a matching 8ft trailer, ready for that mile of 1% grade ahead!...
During my working days I had a full sized poster of that hanging in the hall outside my office. Great picture, thanks for digging it out.
Old 07-04-2014, 02:08 PM   #44

Name: Larry & Joyce
Trailer: 1974 Trillium 1300
Fergus Ontario
Registry
How about this tow vehicle? Not even sure what it is........ Or what year it is.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...levant_count=1

As you can see, it even has room on the back of the car for a mini bike
Larry Tenhage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 02:27 PM   #45

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Looking Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsoba View Post
Hi, everybody. We're looking for a new tow vehicle for our stripped down (no water, no shower, no a/c, no bunk beds--it does have brakes) 1982 Scamp 13'.

What's your ideal? We'd like to stay away from a truck, if possible. But, please, tell us your favorite option.

History: We've been towing with a '99 Subaru Outback 2.5 litre. On our last trip through WV over to St. Louis, we just got tired of turning off the a/c when climbing mountains, turning off the cruise control almost all the time to prevent jumping up to 4K rpm on even relatively flat land. We also got tired of turning on the heat all the way a mile before coming to a stop to prevent over-heating. And who knows how hot the transmission was getting.

(Secondary considerations: used around 15K? tow package? 4 or 7 pin electrical? transmission cooler? power steering cooler? stiff rear suspension?)

THANK YOU!
Ann and Bruce
Thought I'd take a look at the original post.

4/7 pin? With your Scamps electric brakes 7 pin electrical is required.

Transmission Cooler? An adequate transmission cooler required with any automatic.

Power Steering Cooler? Personally I can't imagine why a power steering cooler would be necessary beyond what's necessary for the tow vehicle under normal conditions. We have a 10 year old CRV and have had power steering issues. if someone knows why it'a needed please post.

Stiff fear suspension? Your trailer as described should be pretty light and not add much burden to the tow vehicle. It could become an issue if the tow vehicle is overloaded.

Overheating on Hills? It may be prudent to turn off your AC on long climbs. There are not too many climbs longer than 15 minutes. Your tow could be cool enough to carry you through a 15 minute climb.

Cruise Control? Cruise control is really not appropriate for mountainous regions. Most people towing with small tow vehicles tend to stay out of 5th gear except maybe on the flat. It takes a big, powerful tow vehicle to be in cruise control in the mountains.

We also got tired of turning on the heat all the way a mile before coming to a stop to prevent over-heating.? If I read this correctly it sounds like you're using the heater as an auxiliary radiator. This should never be necessary. It suggests that the radiator fan or thermostat is not working as designed. In my mind this has nothing to do with your tow vehicle.

We had a problem like this when our engine fan/thermostat failed. When at a stop sign or when rolling to one you are basically idling, your radiator's fan should be able to handle that.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 04:55 PM   #46

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Tenhage View Post
How about this tow vehicle? Not even sure what it is........ Or what year it is.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...levant_count=1

As you can see, it even has room on the back of the car for a mini bike
Chevy for sure! Late 1930's probably '39.
Old 07-04-2014, 05:08 PM   #47

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
But since you are looking for an SUV I will run this vehicle by you. It is an Infiniti FX35.
Can you find an FX35 in good enough shape to be reliable towing long distances for the $15K price the original post mentions? Maybe my impression it's an expensive vehicle is exaggerated. I don't like tall vehicles, trucks, SUVs, etc, but the FX-35 is a very pretty crossover, lovely curves, and I'm sure it rides and handles beautifully for that type vehicle.
dylanear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 07:50 PM   #48

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post

Power Steering Cooler? Personally I can't imagine why a power steering cooler would be necessary beyond what's necessary for the tow vehicle under normal conditions. We have a 10 year old CRV and have had power steering issues. if someone knows why it'a needed please post.

The idea of a power steering cooler is already obsolete.
Many newer cars (including the Escape) have had electric power steering for several years now. This frees several HP for other purposes (such as towing) while giving a better feel and more responsive control.
I expect all cars will soon have it.
As for those existing cars without EPS, I tend to agree with your conclusion and posit that those which need coolers have them, with or without towing packages.
Old 07-04-2014, 08:27 PM   #49

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
The ideal towing vehicle might just be a heavily modified DeLorean. If you can get the rig up to 88 mph, there's no telling where you can travel.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 09:29 AM   #50

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Your ideal towing vehicle for Scamp 13'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanear View Post
Can you find an FX35 in good enough shape to be reliable towing long distances for the $15K price the original post mentions? .

Wondered that, too. I have always felt like a newer, lower mileage version of a mainstream model with a good reliability record is a better bet, cost-wise, than an older, higher mileage luxury/performance model at the same price point. May require premium gas, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 01:56 PM   #51

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
For those who voted for the Ford Escape, is it a FWD with the new 2.0L Ecoboost engine and could you tell me what your mpg numbers are with and without the trailer?

Our 2011 Honda CRV is only rated at 1500 lbs tow weight, produces 180hp @ 6800rpm, and has 161 ft/lbs of torque @ 4400 rpm.

By comparison, the 2014 Ford Escape is supposed to produce 240hp at 5500 rpm and 270 ft/lbs of torque @ 3000 rpm. The EPA mpg for the Escape FWD is supposed to be 22 city & 30 highway.

I was just wondering what experience folks have had actually towing (@~60 mph) with
that vehicle. On paper, it certainly does look interesting to me.

Ray
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 02:00 PM   #52

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Oh ...
and the 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L Ecoboost is rated at 3500lbs tow weight and 350 lbs hitch weight.

Ray
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:11 PM   #53

Trailer: 82 Scamp 13 ft
Hello, everyone. It is done. I won't take the time to respond to all the posts since my last response, but you all have really helped us clarify what we want/need. So . . . we drove two hours today to check out a craigslist ad, take the vehicle for a pre-buy inspection, and then we bought it.
It's a 2005 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.5 LX with tow package. 82k miles and $6,700. The garage that did the inspection says it needs a partial tune-up (plugs mainly), two rear rotors, and a spare tire (weirdly missing).
Time will tell if we got a deal or a dud, but the CarFax accorded with the history the owner recounted.
THANKS so much for all the great ideas and suggestions! BTW, we bought the "unlimited" CarFax search, so send me a VIN if you're in the market for a vehicle and I'll give you a quick overview.
Bruce and Ann
johnsoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:21 PM   #54
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Nice! The Santa Fe's are very popular in these parts and the 3.5 has lots of power.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 10:55 PM   #55

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Sounds good. Hope you have a great time with it for many years to come!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 03:45 AM   #56

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
So far my tow vehicle has been a 2001 F150 XLT Super cab 4wd 4.6L automatic. Did not have factory tow package, but incredibly simple to add that & a 7 pin rv plug, plus a plug under the dash came with all those models for brake controls.

I looked high & low for a truck I could just pay cash for, & found this one, always garaged, only 94,000 miles for 5 grand. So far I put all new brakes on, lower ball joints, new exhaust manifolds (needed them, old ones were shot, so put shorty ceramic coated headers on), read load adjuster shocks, rear view camera, new iPod ready stereo. Next weekend new front shocks, then a stainless dual exhaust system, & I might have 3 more grand in it, but substantially improved & great for towing. Mileage isn't great, but I don't have a car payment.

Eventually the plan is to tow with the LW's 2013 Escape, 2L Ecoboost with factory tow package. I have some kind of problem with the 7 pun plug I installed (they do NOT make it easy!), but will get at that soon. We bought that car in part to tow an egg!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:13 AM   #57

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Tee hee...my ideal tow vehicle is the one I'm stuck with right now cuz it got me to the beautiful lighthouse campsite on Lake Ontario as I write! 2002 chevy s10 4.3 vortech. Torquey motor runs like a top

When I have to say goodbye to her I'm considering a nissan pathfinder cuz right now I can't bring my kayaks. I'd really like another truck but then again I'd need another cap, roof rack, etc. gets pricey for add ons.

106,000 miles and still goin!

CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 06:00 PM   #58

Trailer: scamp
Wisconsin
Silverado SS. It's what I use

scamp2003wi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 08:30 PM   #59

Registry
I would say to most popular tow here in the west is a RAM truck, or a Dodge truck.
Old 08-08-2014, 01:14 AM   #60

Name: Hilary
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsoba View Post
4) Ford Escape
Ditto. I just purchased a 2010 Escape to pull our '79 Trillium. I previously had a '99 Toyota Rav4 pulling a '76 Boler; no problems, but I'd prefer to pull at the lower end of the range. Escape 3.0 litre can pull max 3500 lbs, so we're nowhere near maxing out.
Piecemaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp