Your Thoughts on a 2016 Tow Vehicle? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-06-2016, 07:27 AM   #15

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 Std
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth EWA View Post
... I actually liked the Frontier but then I found out that the low end trim that I was considering didn't have a backup camera. Trust me on this, you really want a backup camera if you are going to get a new tow vehicle. It makes hitching up so much easier.
We went through that with our last TV purchase. A back-up camera is nice (and not just for hitching up), but in the end I couldn't justify many thousands more for a newer vehicle/higher trim simply for that one feature. There are other ways to skin that cat. But I'm a tightwad, or so I'm told... YMMV

Old 07-06-2016, 07:27 AM   #16

Name: Frederick / Janis
Trailer: Previously Scamp 13 2002,2016. Scamp 16 on order
Michigan
cars.com

Put in your money parameters and a radius of say 100 miles from your house. Price, equipment, or put in little than say Ford 150 or Toyota Tacoma, then click new.

Or click used.

In either case you'll see all the trucks being sold by dealers in your area. We have web based search technology and it saves a boatload of running around.
The dealers are 100% keen on listing their inventory this way as they know that modern folks like to use the technology to find stuff.

Old 07-06-2016, 07:39 AM   #17

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 Std
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
If the OP bought a 16 ft Scamp or Parkliner , or Little Snooze ,her choice of vehicles would be greatly expanded . It may be less expensive to go with a lighter trailer than a Casita 17 SD and the MPG may be better.
Good suggestion. That was my first thought as well. Lots of nice mid-sized SUVs with 3500/350 tow ratings would make better daily drivers.
Old 07-06-2016, 08:19 AM   #18

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17, purchased from original owners May, 2016
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
We went through that with our last TV purchase. The back-up camera is nice (and not just for hitching up), but in the end I couldn't justify many thousands more for a newer vehicle/higher trim simply for that one feature. There are other ways to skin that cat. But I'm a tightwad, or so I'm told... . YMMV
You don't need a camera to line up your hitches. Just get this 'MaxxHaul 70043 Magnetic Trailer Alignment Kit', two telescoping yellow balls on magnetic pads:

https://www.amazon.com/MaxxHaul-7004...J7V59GC73TEDW3

and use your rear-view mirror.

The camera won't be of use, anyway, once the trailer is hitched.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 08:54 AM   #19

Name: Donald
Trailer: Happier Camper HC1 pulled with a 2011 Subaru Outback 4cyl CVT
California
I have had my eye on the Ram 1500 Ecodeisel. A friend just bought the quad cab version in 4 WD for $32,500. I see the 2WD versions around here advertised for under $30,000. Talk about overkill for an HC1. I have not heard what towing mileage would be but with that engine, I would not expect it to be too bad compared to non towing.

Don
Sacramento
Old 07-06-2016, 09:33 AM   #20

Name: Steven
Trailer: Casita SD 2013
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth EWA View Post
I recently went through the decision process on a new tow vehicle. My original budget was $30K but I ended up paying $35K (with tax & license) for a 2016 Chevy Colorado. I agree with those who recommend the Ford F150 (or similar) but I didn't want a full size pickup since this is my daily driver. The 7000 lb tow rating is way overkill for my Campster but who knows, I might get a bigger trailer some day.

In my case 4WD is essential so that bumped up the price a bit.

I also looked at the Nisson Frontier and Toyota Tacoma. The Tacoma is more expensive and the Frontier is less expensive. I actually liked the Frontier but then I found out that the low end trim that I was considering didn't have a backup camera. Trust me on this, you really want a backup camera if you are going to get a new tow vehicle. It makes hitching up so much easier.
I think you will find that your Chevy Colorado is not "Overkill"
Once you start loading your trailer and truck with camping gear that even with a truck ,you can easily reach the payload capacity of your vehicle . I have a full size 1/2 ton truck with a towing capacity of over 10,000 lbs so my Casita is well under that limit but I am right at my payload capacity. I agree with you about the backup camera , that is one feature my 2014 Ram is lacking. Next year when I trade my truck in for a newer model ,it will definitely have a backup camera.
CONGRATULATIONS on your new vehicle , I think you made a smart choice !!
Old 07-06-2016, 10:14 AM   #21

Name: Pete
Trailer: Casita
Georgia
Registry
An after market backup camera is pretty inexpensive. And if you get a wireless version, you can have a camera on the back of the trailer to see behind you while towing.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:33 AM   #22

Name: Ruth
Trailer: 2008 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe/'78 Trillium 1300
Arkansas
Registry
My husband just got a new 2016 Ford F150 XLT Supercab 5.0L 4x4 for $35,500 yesterday and is ecstatic. He also looked at a 2013 Tundra V8 with 45,000 miles on it for $25,000, a good deal, IMO. He went with the Ford because
1. We're old, and this will probably be his last vehicle since we keep ours for 10+ years
2. His old truck was a Tundra, and he wanted something different
3. There was hardly any $$ difference between the 4x4 and 2WD Fords, so he couldn't pass it up.
4. We saw a demo of the Power Trailer Backup Assist, and I was sold. Wow!

We have a CR-V for a daily driver, so MPG isn't a factor we're concerned with.
I keep hearing that Aug and Sept are the best months to get good deals and still have a good selection. "Some people" can't wait.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:42 AM   #23

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
For many of the years the Ford F150 has been #1 was Chevy and GMC trucks were counted separately even though they were made on the same production line with only badge differences.
Back in the day GM did not want to be said to have a monopoly and separated them.
Both good trucks though!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Old 07-06-2016, 10:48 AM   #24

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Tennessee
You may consider a new Pathfinder. I have a 2013, with the tow package it will handle 5000 lbs / 500 lb on the hitch. It has a v6, and I get a little over 25 MPG not towing.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:22 AM   #25

Name: Steven
Trailer: Casita SD 2013
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete_britt View Post
An after market backup camera is pretty inexpensive. And if you get a wireless version, you can have a camera on the back of the trailer to see behind you while towing.
My truck is set up for the backup camera from the factory (Wiring harness is run from the tailgate lock to the truck cab) The factory OE camera is not that expensive . My truck has the large EVIC screen which is designed to act as the camera monitor.
BUT the cost to have my vehicle's computer programmed to accept and display the camera signal is quite expensive.
The reprogramming cost more than the camera option from the factory . Since I will be trading off my truck next Fall , I will just wait and get it on my next vehicle.
I have seen both the Ford F150 & Chevy Silverado camera in action and was greatly impressed with the clarity and detail of the picture
Old 07-06-2016, 11:44 AM   #26

Name: Kevin K
Trailer: 17' Casita
Mpls,Minnesota
Registry
Go with any pickup with a V8 or V6 with a high torque rating of 275 or above and skip the 4 wheel drive. Just my opinion.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:52 AM   #27

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Bigfoot B-17 CB
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
For many of the years the Ford F150 has been #1 was Chevy and GMC trucks were counted separately even though they were made on the same production line with only badge differences.
Back in the day GM did not want to be said to have a monopoly and separated them.
Both good trucks though!

I remember seeing a new truck at the local Chevy dealer in the early 90's. One side had trim with the GMC logo while the other side had Chevy logo. The dealer had to change the trim to Chevy on one side. One of the people looking at it was singing that Johnny Cash song "One piece at a Time"
Old 07-06-2016, 02:13 PM   #28

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I have heard it said that although the 4X4 costs more it returns higher value and sells quicker when sold used.
I can't say from my own personal information and I don't know if the lower mileage and higher maintenance equal the difference out.