Your Thoughts on a 2016 Tow Vehicle? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-06-2016, 04:01 PM   #29
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
I have heard it said that although the 4X4 costs more it returns higher value and sells quicker when sold used.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
The further north you go from JD, the more accurate his comment is. The only folks that will buy a 2wd pick up here are folks moving to his neighborhood. . Raz

Old 07-06-2016, 04:26 PM   #30

Name: Steven
Trailer: Casita SD 2013
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
The further north you go from JD, the more accurate his comment is. The only folks that will buy a 2wd pick up here are folks moving to his neighborhood. . Raz
When I was looking for a new truck ,the dealers in my area did not have one 2WD truck in their inventory .If I wanted a 2 WD truck , I had to order one from the factory. It was cheaper to buy a 4WD off the lot. There is little to no demand for 2WD trucks in the snow belt.
I don't use my 4 WD that often but there are times that I would be stuck at home without it. If my choices are snow & 4 WD or moving to the ungodly heat of the southern USA & 2WD , I'll take the snow everytime !!.

Old 07-06-2016, 04:30 PM   #31

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4
SW Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
If my choices are snow & 4 WD or moving to the ungodly heat of the southern USA & 2WD , I'll take the snow everytime !!.
Everybody say that. Until they move to SUSA
Old 07-06-2016, 05:14 PM   #32

Name: Steven
Trailer: Casita SD 2013
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
Everybody say that. Until they move to SUSA
We made trips to the SUSA for three years after we retired , the last couple of winters we stayed home. The heat and humidity did not appeal to us , just like snow and cold have no appeal to others.
We have checked the SUSA off our bucket list .. We are going to spend our time traveling in Canada and the New England states . The climate is more moderate and they speak a language that we understand. We had 39 Deg F the other morning which is my kind of weather. Traveling 2000 miles so one can stay cooped up in a trailer all day with the A/C on is not my idea of a vacation but to each their own.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:29 PM   #33

Name: Bob N Judy
Trailer: Scamp 19 Delux 2016
Texas
What we towed 17' Casita Liberty DL

2014 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 3.5 6cyl.
Marvelous!
Old 07-06-2016, 09:47 PM   #34

Name: Rick
Trailer: TBA
Wisconsin
I'll throw this out there because no one has mentioned it. The Ford Transit van has a towing capacity of 4700 lbs and MSRP of around $31,000.00. I'll bet you can find a deal that will put it within your target price. Not everyone's idea of a daily driver but it's just a thought.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:02 AM   #35
CPW

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Flori-duh!
Registry
F150 2.7L EcoBoost. I get between 15 and 16 mpg pulling a 4,400 5th wheel. Heavier and more wind resistance than the Casita.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 07-11-2016, 03:44 PM   #36

Name: David
Trailer: Researching
North Carolina
Nissan truck is solid

I had a Nissan 1990 truck, extended cab. Solid truck, no problems.

This many years later, I am looking at a Nissan Frontier extended cab, 4 cyl. to pull a Scamp 13 Standard. The receiver hitch is rated for the tongue weight the OP would need, and the brakes are the same as 6 cyl models.

So could a 4 cyl Frontier handle a Casita 17? Just thinking of how well my old '90 Nissan did with payloads and towing.
Old 07-11-2016, 04:09 PM   #37

Name: K C
Trailer: 1980 18' Sunrader Motorhome and 1971 Trails West CampMite Campster
Washington
You should be able to get a new 2016 Chevy Express van with that tow rating at that price.
Old 07-12-2016, 01:17 AM   #38

Name: Brenda
Trailer: Past Boler owner, looking at Escape
Alberta
I currently tow an Aliner (under 2000 lbs) but have an Escape 17B on order for next April. My 2004 Xterra was getting long in the tooth, so I was looking at the Honda Pilot, 4Runner, Highlander, etc. I also wanted something with a 5000lb tow/500 lb tongue weight. I also needed something that was AWD for winter driving. I researched the above extensively, and had pretty much decided on the Pilot ($$$). Then someone on the Escape website mentioned the Kia Sorento, which had slipped under my radar... I went in for a brochure...and it came home with me. So far...extremely comfortable and solid-feeling, high-end finishes, and $10000 less than the vehicles is been looking st. Tows my little Aliner better than the Xterra. Really decent mileage. I love it!! Check it out!! (Fairly similar to the Hyundai Santa Fe mentioned above)
Old 07-12-2016, 04:22 AM   #39
Raz

Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQdave View Post
I had a Nissan 1990 truck, extended cab. Solid truck, no problems.

This many years later, I am looking at a Nissan Frontier extended cab, 4 cyl. to pull a Scamp 13 Standard. The receiver hitch is rated for the tongue weight the OP would need, and the brakes are the same as 6 cyl models.

So could a 4 cyl Frontier handle a Casita 17? Just thinking of how well my old '90 Nissan did with payloads and towing.
I have a Frontier with the V6 which I think is the better choice for towing anything. I believe the tow ratings drop to 3500 lbs with the 4 cylinder making a Casita 17 close if not over the limit. At 152 HP and 171 ft-lbs of torque, the 4 cylinder has less capability than most small SUVs. And having to work harder, the mileage numbers will be disappointing The only advantage is that if you are looking for an inexpensive bare bones truck( ie. the S model) most have the I 4.
Old 07-12-2016, 06:42 AM   #40

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Rather than looking at the number of cylinders or the horsepower of a potential tow vehicle,
I would suggest looking at the torque of the engine at towing RPMs.
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-p...sus-torque.htm

Then maybe look at tow weight ratings, brand reliability, and cost.

Diesels and turbocharged engines deliver high torque at low RPMs.

As always, YMMV. 😉

Ray

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 07-12-2016, 09:19 AM   #41

Name: David
Trailer: Researching
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
...At 152 HP and 171 ft-lbs of torque, the 4 cylinder has less capability than most small SUVs. And having to work harder, the mileage numbers will be disappointing The only advantage is that if you are looking for an inexpensive bare bones truck( ie. the S model) most have the I 4.
Thanks Raz for the information on the Nissan 6 cylinder. I go back and forth, between the benefits of the I4 and 6 cyl Frontier. And you are right on with gas mileage. My experience with a YJ wrangler I4, pulled the same amount as a 6 cyl - also worked harder and got the same fuel mileage.

For me (looking at the Scamp 13) the Frontier extended cab S (I4) has a great low price. With my first Nissan truck and Jeep Wrangler, towing was not continual. So though my experience with I4's and towing is a good one - wondering how extended trips (or full time rving) would be.
Old 07-12-2016, 09:24 AM   #42
Raz

Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdickens View Post
Rather than looking at the number of cylinders or the horsepower of a potential tow vehicle,
I would suggest looking at the torque of the engine at towing RPMs.
For towing, what's more important, horsepower or torque? | HowStuffWorks

Then maybe look at tow weight ratings, brand reliability, and cost.

Diesels and turbocharged engines deliver high torque at low RPMs.

As always, YMMV. 😉

Ray

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV

Do you have a source for vehicle torque curves. There was s time when manufacturers would publish such information. The best I find today is one point on the curve, typically the maximum. For example my old Subaru lists 174 ft-lbs @4100 rpm while the 4 cylinder Frontier lists 171 ft-lbs @ 4400 rpm. Raz