Your Thoughts on a 2016 Tow Vehicle? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2016, 10:14 AM   #21

Name: Pete
Trailer: Casita
Georgia
Registry
An after market backup camera is pretty inexpensive. And if you get a wireless version, you can have a camera on the back of the trailer to see behind you while towing.
pete_britt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 10:33 AM   #22

Trailer: 2008 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
My husband just got a new 2016 Ford F150 XLT Supercab 5.0L 4x4 for $35,500 yesterday and is ecstatic. He also looked at a 2013 Tundra V8 with 45,000 miles on it for $25,000, a good deal, IMO. He went with the Ford because
1. We're old, and this will probably be his last vehicle since we keep ours for 10+ years
2. His old truck was a Tundra, and he wanted something different
3. There was hardly any $$ difference between the 4x4 and 2WD Fords, so he couldn't pass it up.
4. We saw a demo of the Power Trailer Backup Assist, and I was sold. Wow!

We have a CR-V for a daily driver, so MPG isn't a factor we're concerned with.
I keep hearing that Aug and Sept are the best months to get good deals and still have a good selection. "Some people" can't wait.
Ruth C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 10:42 AM   #23

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
For many of the years the Ford F150 has been #1 was Chevy and GMC trucks were counted separately even though they were made on the same production line with only badge differences.
Back in the day GM did not want to be said to have a monopoly and separated them.
Both good trucks though!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 10:48 AM   #24

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Tennessee
You may consider a new Pathfinder. I have a 2013, with the tow package it will handle 5000 lbs / 500 lb on the hitch. It has a v6, and I get a little over 25 MPG not towing.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 11:22 AM   #25

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete_britt View Post
An after market backup camera is pretty inexpensive. And if you get a wireless version, you can have a camera on the back of the trailer to see behind you while towing.
My truck is set up for the backup camera from the factory (Wiring harness is run from the tailgate lock to the truck cab) The factory OE camera is not that expensive . My truck has the large EVIC screen which is designed to act as the camera monitor.
BUT the cost to have my vehicle's computer programmed to accept and display the camera signal is quite expensive.
The reprogramming cost more than the camera option from the factory . Since I will be trading off my truck next Fall , I will just wait and get it on my next vehicle.
I have seen both the Ford F150 & Chevy Silverado camera in action and was greatly impressed with the clarity and detail of the picture
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 11:44 AM   #26

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Go with any pickup with a V8 or V6 with a high torque rating of 275 or above and skip the 4 wheel drive. Just my opinion.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 11:52 AM   #27

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
For many of the years the Ford F150 has been #1 was Chevy and GMC trucks were counted separately even though they were made on the same production line with only badge differences.
Back in the day GM did not want to be said to have a monopoly and separated them.
Both good trucks though!

I remember seeing a new truck at the local Chevy dealer in the early 90's. One side had trim with the GMC logo while the other side had Chevy logo. The dealer had to change the trim to Chevy on one side. One of the people looking at it was singing that Johnny Cash song "One piece at a Time"
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 02:13 PM   #28

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I have heard it said that although the 4X4 costs more it returns higher value and sells quicker when sold used.
I can't say from my own personal information and I don't know if the lower mileage and higher maintenance equal the difference out.

redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 04:01 PM   #29
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
I have heard it said that although the 4X4 costs more it returns higher value and sells quicker when sold used.

The further north you go from JD, the more accurate his comment is. The only folks that will buy a 2wd pick up here are folks moving to his neighborhood. . Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 04:26 PM   #30

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
The further north you go from JD, the more accurate his comment is. The only folks that will buy a 2wd pick up here are folks moving to his neighborhood. . Raz
When I was looking for a new truck ,the dealers in my area did not have one 2WD truck in their inventory .If I wanted a 2 WD truck , I had to order one from the factory. It was cheaper to buy a 4WD off the lot. There is little to no demand for 2WD trucks in the snow belt.
I don't use my 4 WD that often but there are times that I would be stuck at home without it. If my choices are snow & 4 WD or moving to the ungodly heat of the southern USA & 2WD , I'll take the snow everytime !!.
Old 07-06-2016, 04:30 PM   #31

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
If my choices are snow & 4 WD or moving to the ungodly heat of the southern USA & 2WD , I'll take the snow everytime !!.
Everybody say that. Until they move to SUSA
Old 07-06-2016, 05:14 PM   #32

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
Everybody say that. Until they move to SUSA
We made trips to the SUSA for three years after we retired , the last couple of winters we stayed home. The heat and humidity did not appeal to us , just like snow and cold have no appeal to others.
We have checked the SUSA off our bucket list .. We are going to spend our time traveling in Canada and the New England states . The climate is more moderate and they speak a language that we understand. We had 39 Deg F the other morning which is my kind of weather. Traveling 2000 miles so one can stay cooped up in a trailer all day with the A/C on is not my idea of a vacation but to each their own.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:29 PM   #33

Name: Bob N Judy
Trailer: Escape 5.0TA
Texas
What we towed 17' Casita Liberty DL

2014 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 3.5 6cyl.
Marvelous!
bobnjudy78748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 09:47 PM   #34

Name: Rick
Trailer: TBA
Wisconsin
I'll throw this out there because no one has mentioned it. The Ford Transit van has a towing capacity of 4700 lbs and MSRP of around $31,000.00. I'll bet you can find a deal that will put it within your target price. Not everyone's idea of a daily driver but it's just a thought.
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 09:02 AM   #35

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
F150 2.7L EcoBoost. I get between 15 and 16 mpg pulling a 4,400 5th wheel. Heavier and more wind resistance than the Casita.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 07-11-2016, 03:44 PM   #36

Name: David
Trailer: Researching
North Carolina
Nissan truck is solid

I had a Nissan 1990 truck, extended cab. Solid truck, no problems.

This many years later, I am looking at a Nissan Frontier extended cab, 4 cyl. to pull a Scamp 13 Standard. The receiver hitch is rated for the tongue weight the OP would need, and the brakes are the same as 6 cyl models.

So could a 4 cyl Frontier handle a Casita 17? Just thinking of how well my old '90 Nissan did with payloads and towing.
BBQdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 04:09 PM   #37

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
You should be able to get a new 2016 Chevy Express van with that tow rating at that price.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 01:17 AM   #38

Name: Brenda
Trailer: Past Boler owner, looking at Escape
Alberta
I currently tow an Aliner (under 2000 lbs) but have an Escape 17B on order for next April. My 2004 Xterra was getting long in the tooth, so I was looking at the Honda Pilot, 4Runner, Highlander, etc. I also wanted something with a 5000lb tow/500 lb tongue weight. I also needed something that was AWD for winter driving. I researched the above extensively, and had pretty much decided on the Pilot ($$$). Then someone on the Escape website mentioned the Kia Sorento, which had slipped under my radar... I went in for a brochure...and it came home with me. So far...extremely comfortable and solid-feeling, high-end finishes, and $10000 less than the vehicles is been looking st. Tows my little Aliner better than the Xterra. Really decent mileage. I love it!! Check it out!! (Fairly similar to the Hyundai Santa Fe mentioned above)
Brenda in Alberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 04:22 AM   #39
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQdave View Post
I had a Nissan 1990 truck, extended cab. Solid truck, no problems.

This many years later, I am looking at a Nissan Frontier extended cab, 4 cyl. to pull a Scamp 13 Standard. The receiver hitch is rated for the tongue weight the OP would need, and the brakes are the same as 6 cyl models.

So could a 4 cyl Frontier handle a Casita 17? Just thinking of how well my old '90 Nissan did with payloads and towing.
I have a Frontier with the V6 which I think is the better choice for towing anything. I believe the tow ratings drop to 3500 lbs with the 4 cylinder making a Casita 17 close if not over the limit. At 152 HP and 171 ft-lbs of torque, the 4 cylinder has less capability than most small SUVs. And having to work harder, the mileage numbers will be disappointing The only advantage is that if you are looking for an inexpensive bare bones truck( ie. the S model) most have the I 4.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 06:42 AM   #40

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Rather than looking at the number of cylinders or the horsepower of a potential tow vehicle,
I would suggest looking at the torque of the engine at towing RPMs.
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-p...sus-torque.htm

Then maybe look at tow weight ratings, brand reliability, and cost.

Diesels and turbocharged engines deliver high torque at low RPMs.

As always, YMMV. 😉

Ray

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote