1st Annual spring spiff and "Repair a Rig" rally - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Rallies, Get-togethers, Molded Meets (Archive)
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-25-2007, 08:36 PM   #1

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
When: April 13-15, 2007
Where: Applewhite USFS Campground, Lytle Creek, Ca.

Why?

Because... it's early spring! Time to get the old egg road worthy and spiffy. Time to fix those little annoying things you have been meaning to do, or ask someone to help or do for you. We all know how much easier it is to do things with the trailer set up, and when we have knowledgable help along side us.

We all are getting ready for a big camping season this year, and we have MANY new So. Cal members and old members with new rigs that may need help and education.

This group has such a diversity in skills that all apply to the care and feeding of our rigs. We have skilled plumbers, electronics/electricians, mechanics, carpenters, geeks, decorators, tinkerers and just plain clever folks with great ideas.

Lets take over this pleasant and close in dry campground and help each other out by "trading" our time and skills to fix/add something to anothers trailers, while someone else who has the skills you need works on yours! Spend a day in someone elses trailer, while someone else spends time in yours.

The "Rules" are simple. If you need work done that requires materials, please bring them before hand. There is a Lowes about 10 miles away, but that is the closest you will get to having any items available.

Please post and I will add your name to a "list" of people and skills that they are willing to donate, and a list of what each "donator" needs done that they for one reason or other can't do. If you see a skill thats a "need" contact the person with your repair problem and let them advise you on what materials to buy specific to YOUR project.

This is not a suggest a repair thread, we can determine repair in person. Should be a fun and educational hands on experience. BRING YOUR TOOLS!!!

You don't need to do a direct trade for work. You can fix the watzitz in my trailer while I am fixing the doohicky in someone elses while someone else fixes the kachingus in yours.

Or.. you can sit back and drink beer all day

I'll start, and will update here as others post.

The List:

Gina D (1999 17 foot Burro Wide Body)
~ I can Install The LED domes and cold cathode lighting I have in my trailer, (Many posts on it) wire up your solar panels and controller, or help with audio installs. I NEED: Help with my awning. The self closing part does not self close, and the sliders come out of the tracks when I am stowing. How to keeps them in there? OR.. help with my heater igniter? Heater works, but it clicks and groans several times and does not always ignite.

Josh Henderson (1977 Trillium 13') ~ I can offer alot to others from electrical to metal fabrication being I am a heavy equipment mechanic but the one thing I NEED is woodworking thats not my thing (Im looking for help with my front window wood inside frame behind the iso padding).

Fred and Robert (1978 Fiberstream) Will bring wheel scales to weigh your trailers! If you wish to have your axles weighed, pack as you normally would and plan to drive onto them BEFORE selecting a site and setting up, or if weighing at departure, make sure you leave.. before I do . I NEED low voltage lighting installed.

Lauren (1981 13 foot Burro) ~ I CAN and Will Hand out beer. I NEED Propane line running advice for a heater and awning suggestions.

* note from Gina D. "Pacifico, please!"

Lizbeth and Eric (76 (?) 13 foot Boler) They haven't shared thier secret skills with us yet, but I hinted at my black tank woes to Eric this weekend. I have gloves Eric!!!! OR a fish fry would go good with Laurens beer!

Next?
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 08:43 PM   #2

Registry
ABOUT APPLEWHITE CAMPGROUND

Off of the 15 freeway at Sierra/Lytle Creek road, just south of Devore, north of Fontana.

Take I-15 to Sierra exit, go north on Lytle Creek road through the little berg of Lytle Creek. It's about a mile past town on the right.

Extremely close to the LA area and very easy to get to. At the base of the San Bernardinos and Cajon Pass on the Inland Empire side. It is a non reservable DRY campground. There are water spigots, but you will need a water thief to fill your tanks, There are flush toilets, but no showers.

GENERATORS ARE ALLOWED. Those with portables are encouraged to bring them as some tools may require AC for some repairs.

It used to be VERY scary here, but this is one of the campgrounds the Forest Service has seen fit to put some money and people into, It is clean, well patroled and the host will take no guff from anyone. (He actually has a PA system he embarrasses poorly behaved folks with, it's a hoot!)

You will need to show up Thursday evening to have a spot for sure, Friday is good chances, and Saturday may be iffy for the best sites, but I have never seen it full, even in summer.

There are many double sites at $15 each nite, there are no rules saying a single can't take a double, and frankly, if you do, it will keep the large party groups away. Singles are $10. Most are level, all have some, if not complete shade and the usual ammenities one would expect from a Forest Service site.

Here are a buncha pics:
Attached Thumbnails
applewhite1.jpg   applewhite2.jpg  

applewhite3.jpg  
Old 03-25-2007, 08:55 PM   #3

Registry
One word of warning to avoid frustration.. I-15 on a Friday nite, if going north, is a lesson in patience. Vegas traffic bring almost everything to a stand still through the area. If you can divert to the 15 south, or take Sierra Av north from I-10, you will be happier. Other days of the week are not an issue.

More pics! It's really pleasant there this time of year.. many bunnies to upset the Beagles!
Attached Thumbnails
applewhite4.jpg   applewhite5.jpg  

applewhite6.jpg  
Old 03-25-2007, 08:58 PM   #4

Registry
Across the way is a day use park with much fishing! I have seen big trout come out of there.

Many more campround pics!
Attached Thumbnails
applewhite7.jpg   applewhite8.jpg  

applewhite9.jpg  
Old 03-25-2007, 09:04 PM   #5

Registry
had enuff?

I will explain the big yellow monster in another post. It;s NOT Draco, but it comes close...

There are about 20 sites in the lower loop. I am not sure when the upper loop will open, but it is doubtfull it will be open at the time of the Rally.

There is a HUGE parklike common area we can set up screen rooms and tables, do a potluck etc. Lots of space and shady too!
Attached Thumbnails
applewhite10.jpg   applewhite11.jpg  

applewhite12.jpg  
Old 03-26-2007, 12:07 AM   #6

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Gina,
Great idea! Wish we could join you. Just too much still to do on the cabin. My back went out about a week ago so Ann has been priming and painting by herself. There is over 3000 sq. ft. of drywall to paint and it's about 1/2 done.
Your rally sounds like a fun way to achieve mods.
Enjoy the party and say "Howdy" for us,

Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 10:13 PM   #7

Registry
Dang Kurt! Quit hurtin your bad self... sorry you won't make it.. maybe drive down for a visit? I know being in the Casita has sort of lost it's charm for you.. and I have some goodies for Ann.

OK folks.. no takers? Surely you will ALL have your taxes done well before the dealine and can come dream about how to spend your huge refunds

Fred is threatening to bring his chair and supervise, don't let him get away with it.. put him to work!

Ladies without a tool belt (and boys too!) maybe you can help make curtains or suggest how to do cushion covers on the cheap. I have been in some of the boyzez trailers.. they could use a little "freshening" up LOL!

So could mine, come to think of it....

Pete.. didn't you need a dust ruffle?
Old 03-26-2007, 10:36 PM   #8

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I'd come if I had my trailer.

Maybe next year.

Though I'm not sure I have any skills... maybe by next year I will.

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 10:50 PM   #9

Registry
Bobbie, tents are allowed and encouraged if you have no rig! It's warm there now. If someone takes a double site, I am sure you can share.. just ask!

Come on down anyway and have a look at different trailers and mods so you can get ideas for things to do to yours.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:05 PM   #10

Registry
Hmm, maybe. I'll think about it.

Bobbie
Old 03-28-2007, 12:41 PM   #11

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Gina,
I wish I was could attend, but so far I can't find an airline that will let me have the Trillium as a carry on. I dare not check it as they lost my luggage last time.
I would take on your gas valve if I could attend. It sounds like furnace gas valves I see in seasonal cottages around here. I believe the ignitor is working, the clicking sound is the actual spark. The groaning is usually the gas valve. When not used regularly they become sticky and make that groaning sound. I've dismantled,cleaned, lubed, and reassembled them with good results. You could probably use WD-40 or equivalent as a cleaning and lube agent. If you aren't comfortble with the rebuild process, a new valve is probably your alternative.
If you set up a live video web feed over FGRV, we could all kibitz. ,not that way! I would do it this way.
I wish I could attend, if only to help with wine consumption.
David Schroeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 08:33 PM   #12

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
I'd come if I had my trailer.
Bobbie
Quote:
Bobbie, tents are allowed and encouraged if you have no rig!
[b]Come on down anyway and have a look at different trailers and mods so you can get ideas for things to do to yours.
I'm taking Friday the 13th off and Robert and I will be there.
[b]IF they're available, I'll bring a pair of wheel weigher scales.

Name:   Intercomp_PT300.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  39.3 KB

Hopefully, I'll be there early enough that people can weigh-in before they go to their site and set up. These have to be used while you're still hitched, and I only have a pair, so we are limited to weighing single axle trailers.

Bobbie:
I'll bring our tent, plus there is the extra bedroom in the Odyssey.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:36 PM   #13

Registry
I have a tent, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it. I'm thinking about it, though!
Old 03-30-2007, 08:42 PM   #14

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Gina,
I would take on your gas valve if I could attend.

I wish I could attend, if only to help with wine consumption.
David:
There will be extra capacity available. Trailer not required.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:24 PM   #15

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Dang it I want to come! BUT I doubt the Jeep will have it's new tranny by then. I need to go camping, maybe I'll "rob peter to pay paul" and get the tranny next weekend.

Did I say I want to go camping?
Old 03-30-2007, 11:50 PM   #16

Registry
Liz, I KNOW you know how to set up a tent in Lytle creek.. LOL.

You and hubby can share the Burro if need be, but I think getting the tranny done is a gooder idea!

Just doed it!

OK, will update the "list" to add the scales. My genset is going I guess.. I have a battery powerd soldering iron, but.. just in case, I'll need that 1000 watts for Freds LEDs.

I will tug the Burro down early, Thursday morning and grab a site.

Remember, this is first come first served and even tho I am sure everyone will get a site, there is no guarantee of getting the best ones.

(I'll be there first.. guess who gets the best one? )
Old 03-31-2007, 12:15 AM   #17

Registry
oh, ERIC... did I mention there be fishies to be had across the road?

Don't let that sway any decisions you may make....
Old 03-31-2007, 10:18 AM   #18

Registry
Lauren and her cooler have volunteered bartending services. How WILL Havanna look in an apron?
Old 04-01-2007, 05:21 PM   #19

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Miss Gina....do you realize that that weekend is the last weekend for spring break for lotsa schools?

Eric says he doesn't know if he can get Friday off....boo hoo. We are working on it.
Plus we are thinking of taking the Jeep as is and yelling YAAAHOOOO and chanting. I forgot next weekend is easter and so there won't be time to get the tranny done.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:29 AM   #20

Trailer: 13 ft Burro
I tell Gina my big skill is handing out beer and now I am a bartender and the H is in an apron! Fortunately, she will do just about anything for salami.
Lauren is offline   Reply With Quote