MB 2014, Aug.15-17: Manitoba Fiberglass & Vintage Camper Rally, - Page 9 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2014, 06:47 PM   #161

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Registry
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2494.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	312.2 KB
ID:	75076Even Santa and Mrs. Claus brought out their summer home.

Name:	IMG_2497.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	406.8 KB
ID:	75077Put on your sun glasses to check out this 1960 Scotty

Name:	IMG_2509.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	362.6 KB
ID:	75078106 people sitting under Lyndon's tent for a potluck supper.

Name:	IMG_2518.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	294.2 KB
ID:	75079Thanks Pete you put on one hell of a show. And a big thank you to Nancy, I know you don't like the heat.
Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 08:33 PM   #162

Name: Glenn
Trailer: Boler
Manitoba
Here is a link to the web extra item fro the weekend

Extended: Vintage trailers on display | CTV Winnipeg News

Ill try to link to one of the newscast to show the piece with a proper intro/extro later
Humpty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:44 AM   #163

Registry
Thanks for posting the link Glenn, I am trying to find all the links of the 5 or so interviews I did on the weekend at the Rally and will post them all once I find them. I went into a customers office yesterday and was told that he never met a celebrity before. LOL. I guess I am Famous now. And so are all the other great people that got interviewed. Thanks to all that did get involved in the interviews. I did notice a number of Fiberglass campers pop up on Kijiji since and the asking prices are going up. That can be a bad thing or a good thing depending on who you are. The word is out there. It is time to get them all out of storage and start using them. No matter what shape they are in, use it in the summer and see what works and what needs repair or changing in the fall and next spring. Make them your own.

Get them ready for the 6th Annual Fiberglass and Vintage Camper Rally the 3rd weekend of August 2015
Old 08-19-2014, 03:46 PM   #164

Name: T&K
Manitoba
More media

Steinbach Online and Steinbach 1250 AM radio have posted a nice article with a video interview and a longer radio interview (just look to the right column to play the audio interview with Jack Klick), taken during the St. Malo get-together last weekend.

5th Annual Manitoba Fibreglass and Vintage Camper Rally
rova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 04:22 PM   #165

Manitoba
more media

a few more media bits about the get-together at St. Malo last week-end (apologies for any duplications):

Crazy for camping? Do it in vintage style this weekend - Manitoba - CBC News

Extended: Vintage trailers on display | CTV Winnipeg News

https://twitter.com/KatieNicholson/s...91441098981376

CBC Radio "The World this Weekend" (starts at the 14:15 mark): The World This Weekend Sat Aug 16 - CBC News - Latest Canada, World, Entertainment and Business News

Keri Latimer song about her lost Boler: Keri Latimer sings a happy tune on recovering her missing Boler - CBC Manitoba

Interview with Rick Mooyman:
Old 08-19-2014, 05:08 PM   #166

Manitoba
The same story and interviews that appeared today on Steinbachonline are also on PembinaValleyOnline.com - Local news, Weather, Sports, Free Classifieds and Business Listings for PembinaValley, Manitoba

There was an item on the CBC national news on Saturday, which played across the country. I can no longer find the video for it. If you find the full video for the August 16, 2014 The National newscast, the item is at the 18 minute mark of the newscast.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:22 PM   #167

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft
Registry
Thanks

Thank you Rova for all the Media links....great to have them all in one location!
Old 08-20-2014, 04:29 PM   #168

Manitoba
Thanks Roland. Here is one that I missed adding earlier: Popularity of 'upside down septic tanks' trailers increasing | Doug Lunney | Col
Old 08-20-2014, 08:47 PM   #169

Name: Morgyn
Nova Scotia
I just did a double take when scrolling through Pinterest. You made one of the trailer boards!
Pin by EQUIPnTRIP on Unusual RVs, caravans & motorhomes | Pinterest
morgynm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:49 AM   #170

Name: Anita & Ken
Trailer: 1975 Boler, tow vehicle is 2007 Silverado
Manitoba
Absolutely FANTASTIC weekend - many thanks to all who helped in any way. Can't wait for next year
A Storgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 06:51 AM   #171

Registry
Great to see some interest on Pinterest.....thanks for all the comments, next year should be another good one, hope to see everyone back again!
Old 09-25-2014, 12:56 PM   #172

Registry
Not sure if anyone is reading this thread anymore, but i will put my questions out there. How did everyone like how the trailer tour went? The next part to my question is should we invite the general public again next year? The reason I ask is that there was a Boler stolen in Winnipeg after they were at the Rally and some comments on a few websites were made that it was because of all the media and an open invite to the general public. Yes the media got the word out there as to how popular our campers are getting, but my thinking is when your at home make sure it is safe guarded against theft.

Rick
Old 09-25-2014, 04:16 PM   #173

Registry
Sad to hear that Rick, never want to see someone just walk/drive away with something I put so much work and care into. I believe you are right, in this day and age we all need security precautions.

I actually appreciated having non owners come through as some were seniors who had a Boler at one time and are reliving memories and others are future owners of a vintage camper.

With the hundreds of rallies going on in North America and the thousands of participants I fortunately have never heard of this case happening before. Its no secret that Kijij or Craigs List have been used for many scams and this would seem easier than through the media.....but who knows the mind of a thief!

There are so many advertised rallies/events for everything from Hotrods and Motorcycles to The Parade of Homes....I don't think any of these events would grow without the media promoting us and without word-of-mouth from the general public.

Having said all that.... there is always a need for caution and we should make sure no one is using there full name and/or address on their camper or in any shape or form during the rally.
Would be great to hear any other suggestions and ideas.
Thanks
Old 09-25-2014, 05:27 PM   #174
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
I too feel bad for anyone who has any property stolen or damaged but I don't think promoting any event or having media coverage or public viewing would increase the chances of theft. I really enjoy showing my trailer, talking to current, past and future fiberglass rv owners, in fact I wonder if the public knowledge and interest in our trailers may play a roll in preventing theft or if anything increasing the recovery rate if one is stolen. I have a friend who has an incredible car collection, weekly he brings a very rare car from his collection to a local car show, these cars are easily worth hundreds of thousands to million dollar cars. But trust me the steps he takes to protect them when he is not beside the car is remarkable. We need the same diligence to protect and secure our trailers.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 08:41 AM   #175

Name: Kimberly
Manitoba
My Mother Ruth and I had wonderful weekend at the rally in St Malo, it was great meeting all the nice people and touring their Bolers. It was terrible that they had their Boler stolen and I'm happy they had it recovered it in short order. With that being said, I agree with Ian regarding safe guarding your property. After this occurred, I personally went out and bought a lock for my hitch, wheel chock and am having a deadbolt installed. Any other suggestions for added security would be appreciated, I think Ian mentioned adding a GPS tracking device, I wonder how much that would run? I do feel the media and social networking played a positive role in recovering this stolen Boler. I personally shared the link on several trailer sites, with many people expressing concern and support and also sharing it off my post as well.
Although, I enjoyed the rally I didn't add my Boler Lola to the tour, but I will be for sure next year. I was inspired and informed from many owners how to upgrade my glamper. I'm currently having her body work done, changing over to LED lights, the bottom of the door is being re molded, windows will be resealed, front window protector was re-fiberglass as there was a million holes in it from the piano hinge, all the exterior broke hardware has been replaced, adding new tires, several other things being fixed up and she's getting all prettied up with a fresh coat of paint. Over the winter I plan on sewing new cushion covers and in the spring I'm going to repaint the interior and add wood plank laminate flooring I picked up from the restore.
On a positive side note my Mother purchased that rare Aer Flow from the rally, she really wanted a Boler, but fell in madly LOVE with the original interior ceiling and pretty blue fiberglass and is currently Glamping her up.
If any one has any info on an Aer Flo's it would be greatly appreciated.
I'm looking forward to next years rally already.
Akimboalogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 12:41 PM   #176

Registry
Thanks for the responses. We will leave the trailer tours as they have been for the last 5 years, I agree that people enjoying seeing these trailers as the ones that did stop by did have genuine interest in them.

The Boler that did get stolen was dragged down the alley 3 blocks away by teenagers and I agree they probably did get a sense of the value from the media.

But it was also due to the Media that it was recovered. I fell the comments made on a few websites on the internet directed at me about the Rally and all the media as to being the cause of it being stolen are not justified.

If you don't properly protect your belongings, then someone will come along and take it. Don't blame me and the media if your stuff gets stolen.

I have spoken to many other Rally organisers and Car Clubs and they all say the same thing. If a thief wants it bad enough they will take it. Safe guard your belongings and you will have a better change of keeping it.

Rick
Old 10-01-2014, 06:02 AM   #177
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akimboalogo View Post
...I personally went out and bought a lock for my hitch, wheel chock and am having a deadbolt installed. Any other suggestions for added security would be appreciated, I think Ian mentioned adding a GPS tracking device, I wonder how much that would run?
For those interested I have 2 additional safeguards on my Boler. I have been criticized for "overdoing it" but this provides me with some piece of mind.

I have welded cargo loops onto the frame, anytime I park the trailer I put a steel cable with padlocks through the wheels and these loops and secure with a pad lock. This prevents both the theft of the wheels and prevents the wheels from turning. You can see the frame loop anchor behind the wheel.

The second security device is a GPS tracker which allerts me if the trailer is moved and shows the position. As you can understand I will not provide specifics on my system but here is a website with a variety of systems.
Buy GPS Tracking, Personal Locator Beacons @ GPS Central
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rally, vin