KY 2016, June 10, 11, 12: Eggs A La Bourbon - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2015, 06:14 PM   #1

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
2016, June 10, 11, 12: Eggs A La Bourbon

“Y’Haul Come: Bardstown, KY: 2016" We decided this is a great place to host a rally next year. Please join our Uhaul and us next summer. The dates will be Friday, Sat, Sun, June 10, 11, 12, 2016 at My Old Kentucky Home State Park Campground in Bardstown, KY, about 40 miles south of Louisville. We vacationed there last week and went to museums, the mansion that was the inspiration for Stephen Foster's song, "My Old Kentucky Home," played golf, went shopping, and toured the "Maker's Mark" bourbon distillery (really neat!) in 2 days. There is more there for us to do that we did not have time to do, so we decided to make it a Bourbon Trail rally for eggs. We have reserved SITE 2 and 34 more sites are still available for that date. This will not be a scripted rally; we hope to plan for a meal together on Saturday night; the rest of the time, you can enjoy yourselves as you wish. Reservations can be made through My Old Kentucky Home State Park website starting now. You might wish to avoid these sites: 15, 20, 25, and 27 for severe back-in slope and 29 for severe sideways slope. The number of sites is limited, so do not wait to register. Please post if you plan to attend.
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 07:52 AM   #2

Name: Anne
Trailer: 2010 scamp 13ft
Tennessee
Anne and Rob Site 7
msawil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 08:12 AM   #3

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft (was 2003 16 ft Scamp)
Registry
We live in Louisville (maybe 25 miles from there). Hope to get by if I remember. Let me know if you need any info. Chris
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 10:09 AM   #4

Name: Troy
Trailer: Burro 13'
Kentucky
I just booked site # 5 June 9 - 12th . I am here in Bardstown for the next hour or two if anybody has any questions PM me.

PS.... If anybody has plug-in extensions probably should bring them some of the electrical boxes are a ways away from the site.
Troy Hawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 12:04 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Trailer: Winnebago
Cindy and Larry will be on Site #3 from 6/9 - 6/13 We are looking forward to a rally that is in Kentucky and on the Bourbon trail. We camped there a few years ago and enjoyed the distillery tour at Makers Mark and a ride on the nearby dinner train. Can't wait!
Larry,C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 01:56 PM   #6

Registry
We loved it too, Larry and anyone considering this rally. We played golf and had our golf cart delivered to our camper! (The course is right next to the campground.) We did not have time for the train or the Stephen Foster musical, but we did tour Maker's Mark. We had lunch at Talbotts Tavern (my relative) and ate some of the best pizza at the restaurant near the golf course. The Civil War museum was really good, but since I was there for genealogy, as my direct ancestor was a distiller who left SW PA during the Whiskey Rebellion, I found the reconstructed town more interesting. The Old KY Home mansion was neat, and so was the shopping. We enjoyed the Whiskey History museum and loved the restaurant in its basement. There is more to do for us in Bardstown, so we thought it was a neat town to share with others, so since we have talked for years about hosting a rally, here we go. Besides, the bourbon is great! We bought a few bottles at Maker's Mark and I got to wax our bottle of Maker's Mark 46 .

CindyL
Attached Thumbnails
Our campsite Bardstown.jpg   Talbotts Tavern.png  

Historic Bardstown.jpg   Bardstown still.jpg  

distillery.jpg   bourbons.jpg  

taste testing.jpg  
Old 07-28-2015, 02:48 PM   #7

Trailer: 1989 Scamp 13 ft
Dennis booked site 10

Dennis & Susie from Nashville, TN will be on site #10. Sounds like it will be a lot of fun.
DENNIS ARCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 03:16 PM   #8
Commercial Member

CindyL
If there is anything we can do to help out just let me know. Cindy and I plan to arrive early and stay late so we will be available to lend a hand.
Old 07-28-2015, 06:21 PM   #9

Registry
Will do. We planned to arrive a day early too. We loved this area. Hubby has been ho-hum about hosting a rally, but when we were eating at the Rickhouse, he commented that if he were hosting, Bardstown is where he wanted to do it. We just totally enjoyed our time there. We even saw an award in the Whiskey Museum from my university in Chicago where I teach, Roosevelt University, to the man who the Whiskey Museum is named for.

Maybe we ought to set up group meals at Talbotts and the Rickhouse and a group Maker's Mark Distillery visit even though I said this would be unscheduled.

CindyL
Old 07-28-2015, 07:01 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Group meals sounds good to me especially if it is the place with the excellent pizza. Both Cindy and I are Makers Mark Ambassadors and love the distillery tour. We have gone a few times and always enjoy it. It is a special place and especially beautiful when they decorate for Christmas.
Old 07-29-2015, 08:28 AM   #11

Name: Kathy
Trailer: Oliver Elite II (had Casita SD, Bigfoot 21FB, & Lil Snoozy)
Kentucky
We have made our reservations for Space 008. Live in Louisville so a nice outing for us. So much to do in that area...thank you for setting this up!
Kentucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:19 AM   #12

Name: Gary
Trailer: Alto by Safari Condo
Illinois
Gary & Marsha McCray will be arriving on site 11 on Wednesday, June 8. We just joined the group, but have attended several events in the past. Thanks for the great times even though our RV is not made of fiberglass. Looking forward to many more rallies.
GaryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 02:44 PM   #13

Registry
Should we schedule a group tour of Maker's Mark? How about a group meal at Talbott's Tavern? We missed a few things while there that we hope to see too, i.e. the musical, other distilleries. And I would love to return to the Rickhouse. They mixed the best Manhatten.

CindyL

PS: We signed up as Maker's Mark Ambassadors too. I got to dip our bottle of Maker's Mark 46 in wax.
Old 07-29-2015, 04:21 PM   #14

Name: Gary
Trailer: Alto by Safari Condo
Illinois
CindyL,

We've never been in the area, so group tours and a meal would be good for us.

Gary
GaryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 09:37 AM   #15

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud -1988
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
For various tours:
The History of Whiskey Museum is free in Bardstown and you can wander on your own. We spent about 45 minutes there.

The Old Kentucky Home Tour in the park is about $10 per person and you have to buy a ticket for tour times. Tours are guided and last about 40 minutes in the mansion.

The distillery tours vary by company. The Maker's Mark tour is about a 30 minute drive from the campground and takes about an hour. The fee is around $10 per person. These tours are at 10:30, 11:30, 12:30, 1:30, 2:30 and 3:30.

The Heaven Hill Distillery is just on the south end of the park, so it is convenient to visit. There is a Bourbon History Museum there, but I don't know about any fees. The Barton Distillery is on the other side of the park.

The golf course is right next to the campground and fees are very reasonable. We played 9 holes with a cart and the fee was about $19 per person. Tee times start at 7:30 a.m. and should be made in advance (by walking over to the Pro Shop!). It seems to be fairly busy right away in the mornings, but opens up toward noon. We went at 7:35 and weren't rushed by other groups (we did let one group go through since they were much better than we were!).

As noted earlier, some of the electrical and water hookups are a bit of a distance from the parking pads. Our site was about 28 feet to the electric and 34 feet to the water. Some are are up to 40 feet away, but this will vary by how close you park your camper to the edge of the pad. Some sites also have sewer hookups for an extra fee. I think there are 5 with sewer hookups.

And for the really important information: the Walmart is only a couple miles to the east for those things you may have forgotten to bring along!
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 10:05 AM   #16

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp and 1985 13 ft Scamp
Adrian and Suger will arrive fri/10th leaving mon morning.
Were up for what ever the group wants, just let us know the cost and will forward it to you if needed. Great Idea! "Lets go Camping"
sugermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 02:09 PM   #17

Vicki and Fred Evans, from Indianapolis, IN will park their a-frame at site #14- June 9th. Thanks for the notification, friends. Would love a group tour of Talbott's Tavern and Makers Mark, dinner out would be great also. See you there, if not before.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
evansfv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 02:29 PM   #18

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud -1988
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Cindy and I are looking forward to meeting so many new camping friends!
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 03:01 PM   #19

Registry
I second my hubby's comment. We had a great time there and hope we can all share it.

CindyL
Old 08-07-2015, 04:06 PM   #20

Registry
Hubby and I will need to find time on our next trip to tour Jim Beam. I just found out that my ancestor's whiskey still when he moved to Bardstown after the Whiskey Rebellion became part of Jim Beam.

CindyL