KY 2016, June 10, 11, 12: Eggs A La Bourbon - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-31-2015, 10:37 AM   #15

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 28' Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Oak Park, IL
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
For various tours:
The History of Whiskey Museum is free in Bardstown and you can wander on your own. We spent about 45 minutes there.

The Old Kentucky Home Tour in the park is about $10 per person and you have to buy a ticket for tour times. Tours are guided and last about 40 minutes in the mansion.

The distillery tours vary by company. The Maker's Mark tour is about a 30 minute drive from the campground and takes about an hour. The fee is around $10 per person. These tours are at 10:30, 11:30, 12:30, 1:30, 2:30 and 3:30.

The Heaven Hill Distillery is just on the south end of the park, so it is convenient to visit. There is a Bourbon History Museum there, but I don't know about any fees. The Barton Distillery is on the other side of the park.

The golf course is right next to the campground and fees are very reasonable. We played 9 holes with a cart and the fee was about $19 per person. Tee times start at 7:30 a.m. and should be made in advance (by walking over to the Pro Shop!). It seems to be fairly busy right away in the mornings, but opens up toward noon. We went at 7:35 and weren't rushed by other groups (we did let one group go through since they were much better than we were!).

As noted earlier, some of the electrical and water hookups are a bit of a distance from the parking pads. Our site was about 28 feet to the electric and 34 feet to the water. Some are are up to 40 feet away, but this will vary by how close you park your camper to the edge of the pad. Some sites also have sewer hookups for an extra fee. I think there are 5 with sewer hookups.

And for the really important information: the Walmart is only a couple miles to the east for those things you may have forgotten to bring along!

Old 08-03-2015, 11:05 AM   #16

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp and 1985 13 ft Scamp
Adrian and Suger will arrive fri/10th leaving mon morning.
Were up for what ever the group wants, just let us know the cost and will forward it to you if needed. Great Idea! "Lets go Camping"

Old 08-03-2015, 03:09 PM   #17

Vicki and Fred Evans, from Indianapolis, IN will park their a-frame at site #14- June 9th. Thanks for the notification, friends. Would love a group tour of Talbott's Tavern and Makers Mark, dinner out would be great also. See you there, if not before.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 08-03-2015, 03:29 PM   #18

Oak Park, IL
Cindy and I are looking forward to meeting so many new camping friends!
Old 08-03-2015, 04:01 PM   #19

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Illinois
Registry
I second my hubby's comment. We had a great time there and hope we can all share it.

CindyL
Old 08-07-2015, 05:06 PM   #20

Illinois
Registry
Hubby and I will need to find time on our next trip to tour Jim Beam. I just found out that my ancestor's whiskey still when he moved to Bardstown after the Whiskey Rebellion became part of Jim Beam.

CindyL
Old 08-08-2015, 09:41 PM   #21

Oak Park, IL
OK, 8 campers are registered here for the rally according to postings above but 14 sites are reserved and clustered together. Anybody else reserve a site but didn't say so here?
Old 09-03-2015, 07:24 PM   #22

Name: Corky
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16ft.
Illinois
Darlene & Corky book site 18.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:17 PM   #23

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: CindyL... Sure wish we could join Ya'll. We were there a few years ago. Still sippin' Makers 46.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1020808.jpg   P1020813.jpg  

P1020822.jpg  
Old 09-04-2015, 05:04 AM   #24

Illinois
Registry
Good stuff, isn't it? We became Maker's Mark ambassadors at the end of our tour.

CindyL
Old 09-04-2015, 09:39 PM   #25

Name: Hidalga
Trailer: Modified 13' Scamp
Full-Timer
Awesome rally theme! I'm a finger type away from booking, but my hesitation is the local taxi number. Better yet, is there a shuttle service or "drinker's van" for the rally? I love Makers Mark and this is a great rally concept, however, I just need to know that us drinkers have logistics responsibly scheduled ahead of time to enjoy the area and all it has to offer...
Old 09-04-2015, 10:34 PM   #26

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidalga View Post
Awesome rally theme! I'm a finger type away from booking, but my hesitation is the local taxi number. Better yet, is there a shuttle service or "drinker's van" for the rally? I love Makers Mark and this is a great rally concept, however, I just need to know that us drinkers have logistics responsibly scheduled ahead of time to enjoy the area and all it has to offer...
Very good question
Old 09-05-2015, 06:34 AM   #27

Illinois
Registry
If we tour Maker's Mark, this is the taste test you get. It did not prove to be difficult to try these samples out and drive back home afterwards. Maker's Mark is about 18 miles from the campground. There is no bar there. On the other hand, Heavenhill distillery is right next to the state park and Jim Beam is 18 minutes away. My ancestor's distillery was bought out by Jim Beam. We are both Maker's Mark ambassadors. We are getting fond of Manhattens made from either Jim Beam or Marker's Mark. At the gift shop, you can buy lots of stuff with melted wax on it (I bought a hat.), and you can even wax your own bottle of Maker's Mark.

Since we own a Uhaul, I am going to have to find the carton of Uhaul highball glasses that Kevin (hubby) gave me for Christmas several years ago and bring those along.

The bars in town serve a variety of KY Bourbons and whiskeys. We ate in Talbott's Tavern (circa 1799) and saw their bar and later ate and sampled the local brew at the Rickhaus, a really nice place in the basement of the whiskey museum in Bardstown.

As for taxis, we don't know, but I am sure other people will want to sample the local brews too.

CindyL
Attached Thumbnails
taste testing.jpg  
Old 09-05-2015, 08:31 AM   #28

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: CindyL... We toured Makers Mark. First impression out of the truck was the aroma of pancakes in the air. This got me thinking. Our local winery makes Maple wine... very much the same colour as Bourbon. Why not mix the two? A drink made in heaven couldn't taste so good. Sour mash Bourbon with sweet Maple wine over ice!!! YUMMM
Another one is Red Stag (Black cherry) Bourbon in a cup of black coffee. What a way to start the day!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie