KY 2016, June 10, 11, 12: Eggs A La Bourbon - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-06-2015, 05:11 AM   #57

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Illinois
Registry
Thanks for trying, Troy. We can all pile into cars. Some might not want to go through 2 distilleries. I know one couple wants to visit the Kentucky Renaissance Faire while they are there, so they may not have time to tour any.

I have considered seeing if folks might want a private tour of Maker's Mark. You get to go farther into the distillery. There is a greater cost though.

There is just so much to do there, that you need to spend a week to do it all.

It looks like the campground is almost full. Just think what that will look like as all these little campers trail in and fill their campground.

CindyL

Old 12-08-2015, 07:53 AM   #58

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
Looks pretty booked up, now.

Old 12-08-2015, 09:15 AM   #59

Illinois
Registry
Looks like one site left, number 36, that Kevin did not recognize as being too steep. We walked around it and noted ones that seemed too difficult to camp in. Our numbers are different from the campground descriptions. They might have been basing their information on bigger rigs.

CindyL
Old 12-08-2015, 10:22 AM   #60

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Hi All,

Laura and Dean. Site #36

Hey, we just bought a new to us 2005 Casita 17' Freedom Deluxe in mid-November. The owner was kind enough to deliver it to us from Harrison, OH (480 mile round trip). We don't have a tug yet, but we are going to southern GA this weekend to, hopefully, buy a '09 Kia Borrego Limited V8 2WD rated to tow 7,500 lbs. w/ WDH. Hey, we have never RVed in our lives, but are looking forward to Empty Nest Adventures. Our youngest will graduate from high school in May, thus we are putting together our plans.

FYI, I had a bad experience with bourbon when I was 16!!! As a result, at age 53, I still have little interest in bourbon/whiskey. However, our pontential Borrego will seat up to 7. We would be more than happy to be a part of a caravan and serve as a designated driver for any touring. We would love to tour the distilleries, but just not taste!

Looking forward to June!

Laura and Dean
Old 12-08-2015, 10:22 AM   #61

Kentucky
Registry
FYI. From my avatar, I am a beer guy!!! No bourbon.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:53 AM   #62

Illinois
Registry
We don't discriminate. I do not remember seeing beer breweries, but I am sure there are some. Or maybe, since bourbon starts out as beer, you can get some before it becomes bourbon (Learned that in the museum there.) .

Welcome aboard!

CindyL
Old 12-08-2015, 07:19 PM   #63

Name: IBOACRES
Trailer: 2013 19' Escape
OHIO
Bourbon is Great....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanCHS1980 View Post
Hi All,

Laura and Dean. Site #36

Hey, we just bought a new to us 2005 Casita 17' Freedom Deluxe in mid-November. The owner was kind enough to deliver it to us from Harrison, OH (480 mile round trip). We don't have a tug yet, but we are going to southern GA this weekend to, hopefully, buy a '09 Kia Borrego Limited V8 2WD rated to tow 7,500 lbs. w/ WDH. Hey, we have never RVed in our lives, but are looking forward to Empty Nest Adventures. Our youngest will graduate from high school in May, thus we are putting together our plans.

FYI, I had a bad experience with bourbon when I was 16!!! As a result, at age 53, I still have little interest in bourbon/whiskey. However, our pontential Borrego will seat up to 7. We would be more than happy to be a part of a caravan and serve as a designated driver for any touring. We would love to tour the distilleries, but just not taste!

Looking forward to June!

Laura and Dean
Laura -- Dean,

Well glad to hear your moving quickly to secure a tow. Hope the Borrego works in your favor. We'll see you there -- Site #26.
Have you guys spent an overnight in the camper yet? Maybe Christmas Eve!!! Crank of the cube heater...and have you come up with a name for the Casita?

John & Laurie -- Cincinnati.
Old 12-08-2015, 07:27 PM   #64

Illinois
Registry
Hey Dean, what do you teach and what college/university? I teach at Roosevelt U. in Chicago. I train SPED teachers.

CindyL
Old 12-08-2015, 10:26 PM   #65

Kentucky
Registry
Hi Cindy! I did not realize that bourbon started out as beer. Hmmm, interesting. I have lived in KY for the last 20 years not including a coupe of years in the very early 90s and a couple of years as a young child, plus I have deep family roots in eastern Kentucky (Pike County). I enjoy living in Kentucky with its history and culture, so I would love to tour a bourbon distillery or two since that is so much of KY's history, but I am perfectly happy not to taste its history!!! But, Laura and I can hang out and enjoy the spirit of the tour! I am the Department Head of Social Work at Western Kentucky University. I have been at WKU for 20 years. Great place! My doctorate is an Ed.D. from the University of Memphis. I worked as a graduate assistant for three years in the College of Education, including one year serving in Teacher Education. I appreciate your hard work in SPED! How long have you been at RU?

Hi John! Laura and I excited to hear that Laurie and you will be at the Rally! Hey now, you can sell me on a Casita, but you can't sell me on bourbon (see above), LOL! We have spent alot of time hanging out in the Casita drinking coffee, beer, etc. Had friends and family over. We hang out in the Casita rather than the living or family rooms of the house! Laura and I are hosting a holiday party tomorrow and will have 25 people tour the Casita. The tentative name of the Casita is "Casita de Mayo" (Little House of May); however, I am not sure if my Spanish translation is correct. We may tweak.

Take care to all!
Old 12-09-2015, 07:42 AM   #66

Illinois
Registry
I have been at RU about 12 years. I was program chair but stepped down last year due to health issues that kept me in Ann Arbor, using their hospital.

I have roots in KY too. Several of my mother's line came through KY, including the one who left PA during the Whiskey Rebellion and set up a distillery in Bardstown that was ultimately purchased by Jim Beam.

We have been in Pikeville several times. We like to camp at Jenny Wiley park.

The KY parks are great.

CindyL
Old 12-09-2015, 07:52 AM   #67

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
Beer is what the distillers call the fermented mash, it will typically contain a lot more ethanol than what you would find in the typical brown bottle as they want to maximize the ethanol yield before distillation. The mash bill(grains they use) is varied similar to real beer along with aging time and barrel location in the aging house to develop the flavor of the product. It is a very interesting process.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 12-09-2015, 09:45 PM   #68

Kentucky
Registry
Cindy, I agree. KY has a great state park system. I have been to several, but now plan to explore most or all of the state parks in order to play with the Casita.

Michael, I am definitely enjoying the beer renaissance in the U.S., including KY. Many great micro & craft breweries in KY.
Old 01-03-2016, 02:12 PM   #69

Name: dawn
Trailer: U haul ct 13
West Virginia
Just reserved today "site 20" ....showed it as the last site available. I know it was listed as one to avoid due to steep grade but since it was all that was left hopefully we can make it work. Its weird but the pic of the site doesnt appear steep? Anyway, we just bought our ct-13 a few days ago and needs work so hoping we have her done in time for the rally
Attached Thumbnails
540x360.jpg  
Old 01-03-2016, 02:16 PM   #70

Illinois
Registry
Some were steep, so you would need to jack the front up a lot. Others were on a slant, so you would need to prop up one side. Kevin thinks it probably can be worked. There were others that are worse.

Welcome aboard!

CindyL