MI 2018, Aug 7,8,9 UP, Lake Linden - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2018, 09:36 PM   #21

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Vada and Elaine, maybe one of you could bring a jar of local thimbleberry jam for all the campers to sample!

When I was at McLain a few years back, I stopped at a little shop north of Calumet and bought a couple jars from the lady who lived there. I had to google and find it again ... it was Barb's Favorite Jams & Jellies, on Mine St. Pretty good stuff, although maybe some other places have the jam at a lower price?

When the locals like to camp at a place, it has to be a nice place to camp!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 05:37 AM   #22

Name: Vada
Trailer: 1996 16ft Scamp Deluxe
Michigan
Just a little peek into the Keweenaw peninsula

Mike Magee, Yes I will bring Thimbleberry jam to sample. This jam is made from the local wild Thimbleberries that specifically grow in our area. Lucky you if you want to enjoy the beautiful wooded areas and pick along the roadside because the berries usually are in season early August. Just one of many things to experience is breakfast or lunch at Lindells Restuarant in Lake Linden. It is a historic building on the National Register and is almost original inside and out. The Keweenaw National Historic Park is an interesting resource for our local copper mining history. You will see mining ruins along the way when entering the Keweenaw Peninsula. You will need more than just a few days to enjoy what this beautiful area has to offer. I look forward to meeting everyone!
Vada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 06:40 AM   #23
Commercial Member

Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
I hope to put the lake linden rally on the itinerary for the trip to Winnipeg as the dates line up and it looks like a great area to explore. I have tried contacting the campground for info to see if they have a group camping area s but have not had any success as no one answered the phone and so far they have not returned my message but hopefully will hear from them soon . It would be best to be able to have a group reservation at this itime of year we’re as the campground could be full . For anyone interested I am working on a route that starts in Detroit going through lower Michigan with a short stop in Macinaw up through the UP. With Saturday and Sunday at lake linden and then a 1- 2 night trip to Winnipeg possibly with overnight stays at Walmart’s on the way as campgrounds May be hard to come by at that time of year. This is a preliminary route and with help from Nancy who knows the area well and Ian Gilles and Linda organizing the 50th rally I hope to nail down this route soon.
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 03:44 PM   #24

Oklahoma
For those who would like to explore more of Michigan's abundant scenery in conjuction with the rally, this site features 'best of each county' photos of all 83 Michigan counties.
The most beautiful place in each of Michigan's 83 counties | MLive.com
Although I lived the first 33 years of my life in Michigan, I noticed a few nice places I've missed and would like to go see.
Old 04-14-2018, 04:50 PM   #25
Emb

Name: Elaine
Trailer: Scamp 16 ft. F-150
Michigan
seedless Blackberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Vada and Elaine, maybe one of you could bring a jar of local thimbleberry jam for all the campers to sample!

When I was at McLain a few years back, I stopped at a little shop north of Calumet and bought a couple jars from the lady who lived there. I had to google and find it again ... it was Barb's Favorite Jams & Jellies, on Mine St. Pretty good stuff, although maybe some other places have the jam at a lower price?

When the locals like to camp at a place, it has to be a nice place to camp!
My favorite is Seedless Blackberry, not as expensive and there are several places to get the local jams. One place is about a mile from me, I'll put it on my list to bring, another snack favorite is [believe it or not] jalapeno jelly on crackers with cream cheese. I can just hear the groans now.... Don't knock it till you try it.
Emb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 08:44 AM   #26

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
I have not been able to make a reservation. Town is small. I think they must all be in FL, TX, AZ. Have tried calling and leaving a message. Then found an email address. No reply.

If anyone finds a way to contact them please post.

Nancy
I live in Lake Linden and did contact those at the Village Hall responsible for reservations and expressed concern with difficulty to make one. They are working short handed but I expect it to be better. Let me know.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:13 AM   #27
Commercial Member

Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vada View Post
I live in Lake Linden and did contact those at the Village Hall responsible for reservations and expressed concern with difficulty to make one. They are working short handed but I expect it to be better. Let me know.
I’m still waiting for a call back trying to plan my Winnipeg route. Their website states they have a group camping area does anyone know if this is so
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 11:18 AM   #28

Michigan
There is a 2 1/4 mi walking trail and 18. Station disc golf at this campground. Many other things to do within walking distance. If anyone is into geocaching, this area is a great place!
Old 04-19-2018, 05:45 PM   #29

Oklahoma
How popular is this CG in summer? Does it tend to fill up just about every day, like McLain does? Just wondering how much chance any spur of the moment attendees might have.
Old 04-20-2018, 04:33 AM   #30

Michigan
How busy is the Lake Linden campground

Mike
It's hard to say how busy. It depends on our unpredictable weather and what other events are happening. This is a touristy area and two university's are only 10 miles away. .I suggest you make a reservation.
Old 05-20-2018, 12:00 PM   #31

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
Lake Linden Campground, Hiltunen Street. Lake Linden, MI 49945
906-296-9911, lakelinden.net
26 sites, $25 water/electric

This will be an informal meeting. After looking at the rules we are not a “group”. Each person will register as an individual. There will be no formal host for our non-group.

Jim P will be in site 12.
I am a Lake Linden local. On site #10. Beautiful area with a strong copper mining history. Many things to do here.
Old 05-23-2018, 12:39 PM   #32

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Illinois
Lake Linden

Thanks , Vada . You can assist me in giving recommendations on places to visit.
Jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:18 PM   #33

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimp View Post
Thanks , Vada . You can assist me in giving recommendations on places to visit.
You enter the Keweenaw when leaving Houghton via the bridge crossing the canal turn right on M-26. You will see a few of the ruins of our rich copper mining history along the way. Lake Linden is 10 miles from the bridge. The campground, park, walking trail and marina was built on top of just a small portion of these ruins.
Old 06-17-2018, 03:05 PM   #34

Oklahoma
A quick shout out to Vada and all the folks around Lake Linden, are you ok up there? MI relatives on FB posted about the downpours and flash flooding you had last night and this morning. I hope everyone living up there is safe...
Flooding in Houghton County
Old 07-28-2018, 02:32 PM   #35

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Wednesday breakfast 9-10

Fred and Nancy will provide scrambled eggs and sausages.

If we have 2-3 volunteers we will also be doing “donuts”.

Bring your own beverage, eating utensils, paper plates and drink.

At 10:00 we will play a game with prizes. Hopefully game and prizes will be done by 11:00 so we can all go out and explore.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 07:49 AM   #36

Michigan
I will provide the thimbleberry jam and something to spread it on. Made it yesterday.
This is my first Scamp camp. Do you think an open house might be good? I would love to see the inside of the different Scamps.

There is lots to explore here. Would be happy to suggest depending on your interest.
Old 07-30-2018, 11:22 AM   #37

Vada,

We can try the open house. Generally if one does not want to participate they keep their door shut. We have also given out “ribbons” (construction type stuff) that people can put out to let you know one is welcome.

If there are any people who sew they may want to see how I made my curtains. Need to sew lots of buttonholes to thread the rod through.

Weather permitting maybe we could do open house on Wednesday after breakfast and games.

I just called to see if there is electricity to the picnic pavilion for making “donuts”. There is. I forgot to ask how many picnic tables are there.

Hopefully we will have great weather.

I think my Wednesday just got all taken up.

I have no idea how many people are coming. The group will have to decide if they want to do a pot luck. I have planned Wednesday morning. The rest of you have to take care of any other activities.

Nancy
Old 07-31-2018, 11:01 AM   #38

Michigan
Nancy I'm really looking fwd to the Scamp camp. There is so much to explore here that I think a Wednesday plan would be enough. I would like to show my wine glass rack in my Scamp if anyone is interested. Built it myself! Yes I did! Ha! I'm checking with the campground host regarding tables in the pavillion but I'm sure there are plenty. Did you reserve the pavillion for breakfast? I am happy to help you whever I can.
Old 07-31-2018, 02:55 PM   #39

Vada,

I did not reserve the pavilion for Wednesday morning. I am hoping no one is using it and we can use it for free. I don’t remember the cost to reserve, guess I was going to wing it. If it can be reserved for campers (everyone welcome) without charge please do. Thanks.

Nancy
Old 08-01-2018, 12:29 PM   #40

Michigan
Nancy CG host said pavillion will more than likely be open to us on Wed morning. But if we want to gaurantee that there is a $30 charge. I'm sure it will be available to us though. If not..I have a large site for us. There is (1) 8 ft and (4) 6 ft tables in the pavillion. She has no way of knowing how many Scamps will be there as others have reservations. It does sound like maybe 7-10 units though from what she said. I will be there very early Tues. I'm actually setting my Scamp in late Monday afternoon but not staying there that night. Can't wait! See you on the 7th.