UT 2018, May 10-29: Southern Utah Tour - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-06-2017, 10:49 PM   #15

Name: Don
Trailer: 96 Casita Spirit Delux 16 ft
Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by tua View Post
Hi Don! I'm SO excited and thankful to you!
What was the coldest nighttime temperature you have ever experienced on one of these trips?
Tua

We have experienced waking to snow on our trailers in Escalante, UT but the same day we were in shirt sleeves visiting all the places we planned. More of a threat is the rare occasion of persistent rain like what we had in 2015. Even with very rare rain or snow you will be able to see everything the national parks have to offer. If we should have lots of rain we will not be able to take you to some of the places we like to go on our "side trips" because of the danger of getting stuck in bentonite mud - something you really want to avoid.

Here is an excerpt from some of the material we always send participants. It will give you an idea of possibilities. Consider also that we will be going in the later part of the month and that will make a difference. We will sometime be at eight, nine and almost ten thousand feet altitude and that also will make a difference.

Bring a good winter jacket and a pair or two of long jeans (like I do) and you will be prepared for the worst.

AVERAGE TEMPS for May
Capital Reef National Park High 69.0 Low 42.0 Precip 0.77 in.
Escalante High 75.0 Low 40.0 Precip 0.65 in.
Zion National Park High 82.4 Low 51.8 Precip 0.80 in.
Bryce National Park High 61.0 Low 32.0 Precip 1.05 in.
Kanab High 77.0 Low 39.0 Precip 0.89 in.
Grand Canyon National Park High 61.0 Low 33.0 Precip 0.87 in.

Don and Betsy

Doninut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 12:00 PM   #16

Utah
For anyone interested in the tour or if you just like some beautiful photos, I want to suggest you scroll down to the "Similar Posts" section and click on Eric's post.

Eric was on the 2013 tour and made a ton of great photos. He is an excellent photographer, dedicated animal lover and all-round great guy to have along on any trip.

Don

Old 10-07-2017, 10:15 PM   #17
rad

Name: Randal
Trailer: Casita
Arizona
I'm completely new to the RVing, although I've been an outdoor guy all my life by way of backpacking, tent camping etc., but always wondered how restrained I'd be in areas that didn't allow dogs, by bringing her along. My partner thinks she should go every where with us.
rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 10:21 PM   #18

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rad View Post
but always wondered how restrained I'd be in areas that didn't allow dogs, by bringing her along. My partner thinks she should go every where with us.
I guess it depends how long a leash she has you on.
Old 10-07-2017, 10:54 PM   #19

Utah
Rad
Yes, your dog will place some restrictions upon you. Any campground I know demands that you keep your dog on a leash or under control (inside your vehicle or camper) at all times. She will not be permitted on the trams (busses) they use to take visitors up canyon in Zion Canyon NP or Bryce Canyon NP. That would mean that someone would have to watch her while you are gone or take turns on the trams - and I doubt you want to do that. I'm not a big fan of leaving them inside your camper for their comfort and safety. If she suffers from separation anxiety you could return to a REAL mess. If she is easily controlled by someone else, someone might agree to take care of her for a couple of hours. Also they are never permitted on the hiking trails.
Don
Old 10-08-2017, 12:22 AM   #20
rad

Name: Randal
Trailer: Casita
Arizona
Looks like more boarding fees, often wonder about the quality of the pet hostiles around Zions and other parks. I'm very acquainted with Zions, notice as I drive in, pet sitting businesses at the entrance. Think I'll do some checking. Does any one else know of such services?
rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 01:38 AM   #21

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Dogs must be leashed in
National Parks, but there is lots of places around outside the parks for off leash activities.Also, rattlesnakes are around.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 08:49 AM   #22

Name: Al
Trailer: 19D Front bath Scamp
North Carolina
Don,

Cindy and I are interested in a second trip. Thanks for having us along last year.

Al
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 12:01 PM   #23

Name: Larry
Trailer: Escape 19
Arizona
Utah outing

Hi Don and Betsy,

Jackie and I would love to join you and the group on your Utah adventure.

Thanks for organizing it.

Larry Linderman
llinderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 05:41 PM   #24

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Utah!

Don,
My wife Joanne and I would love to go on this trip. What an opportunity for the fortunate few who get to participate! Utah is at the very top of our bucket list, and I can't imagine a better way to see it. Thank you!

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 11:33 AM   #25

Name: Josh & Sonya
Trailer: '97 Casita SD 17; 03 Bigfoot 25RQ
Arizona
Eric's trip photos from 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doninut View Post
For anyone interested in the tour or if you just like some beautiful photos, I want to suggest you scroll down to the "Similar Posts" section and click on Eric's post.

Eric was on the 2013 tour and made a ton of great photos. He is an excellent photographer, dedicated animal lover and all-round great guy to have along on any trip.

Don
Thanks for passing on this tip Don; really great photos. I sent Eric a thanks as well and he quickly acknowledged.
Regards,
Josh
Josh and Sonya W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 11:30 AM   #26

Utah
I don't think I've ever posted this here on FGRV before. It might be of some interest to some of you. It is a video posted on You Tube by one of our participants in 2012. We think it was well made.

At the time we only posted on the Casita sites but invited anyone who responded to come.

Don and Betsy

Old 10-17-2017, 07:31 AM   #27

Name: Rich
Trailer: 1987 Bigfoot Fifth Wheel
Texas
Hi Don!
I'm very interested in this trip. It looks like great fun.
Rich
Rich Ess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 07:50 AM   #28

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Great pictures by Eric, and you are correct. The video was well done and makes us want to go even more! Thanks for posting it.

Tom & Joanne

TomK is offline   Reply With Quote