UT 2018, May 10-29: Southern Utah Tour - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-05-2017, 09:38 PM   #1
Member
 
Name: Don
Trailer: 96 Casita Spirit Delux 16 ft
Utah
Posts: 60
2018, May 10-29: Southern Utah Tour

I think most followers of this site knows about the annual Southern Utah Tour. Several years ago we created a rally where we would meet and travel together to three of Utah’s beautiful national parks. At first there were only a few that wanted to participate – maybe three or four. However, as these participants went to other rallies and talked about the fun we had it became more and more popular until now when we have to turn away more than those we can accept as a manageable number of 15 rigs. We have now included all five of Utah’s national parks.
There will be no hookups (except for electricity at the last campsite) for the entire trip. Some will be pure boondocking. It is a fun trip where you will meet others and make lasting friendships. If you don’t know, don’t miss this opportunity, to learn how to boondock successfully. We have several folks who want to go again and again.
Everyone has a GPS and atlas and can easily find their way to all these beautiful parks. What we do is not only visit all the parks but we are with 16 other persons or couples of like mind and with whom they already share some preferences. Also we don’t travel from place to place by the most direct way but by the most interesting and scenic roads. Some of our camping places are well “off the beaten path”. We go to places that most Utah visitors never see nor know about. The casual visitor would not chance taking the time to find these places even if they knew about them. They would most likely “go with the crowd”. After participating in a Southern Utah Tour you will have seen a good part of the southern part of the state. Certainly enough to mark it off your bucket list. We go from one campsite to the next via paved roads. However, we do lead participants on side trips to places that can only be reached by dirt / gravel roads where there are points of interest and beauty you would not see otherwise. We’re not talking about four wheeling.
All the places we go can be easily reached by any production two wheel drive pickup or SUV that has not been intentionally lowered. By going to these places you will get some dust on your $50,000, 500 horsepower truck but all is not lost. We have located car washes for you. Sometime we will pass over a section of road that may have significant wash boarding but your vehicle will easily handle it. If it can’t you probably shouldn’t drive it to Utah with a trailer behind you.
We want folks to come on the tour who want to see more than what the beautiful parks offer. This has never been the type of gathering where we park the trailer, roll out the carpet and awning or set up the auxiliary shelters, the imitation flower pots and pink flamingos and sit down. It was designed for the young at heart and curious of mind who wants to see and do more. In the evening we will sit around the campfire and chat or listen to someone entertain by whatever means. In the mornings we will either be visiting the local park(s) or taking a side trip we have planned for you.
I have noted that since we posted the announcement for the 2017 tour, there have been over 4000 views of the announcement. So it is apparent that there is still interest in becoming a part of the tour. Because there are so many folks who are interested in coming along we worked out a method of selecting participants based upon the clock. This is how it works.
At exactly midnight on 31 October 2017 Mountain Time the registration will open. No registration will be accepted before that time. The clock on your computer screen will create a “postmark” on your registration email to me. Last year we had received emails with the requested information (see below) to fill our 15 slots plus 5 alternates by 0001 1 November 2016 so you must be quick. We have alternates to fill in a vacant slot if, and when, someone already selected has to cancel out.
The registration email from those interested must contain the following information in the following order.
1. Your name(s). Don and Betsy Taylor
2. The town (city) where you live. Salt Lake City, UT
3. An email address that you check frequently. dtaylor@sisna.com
4. Your home telephone number. 801-***-4979
5. Your travel (cell phone) number (can be the same). 801-***-4979
6. Year, make and color of your tow vehicle. 4x4? ’98 Toyota Tacoma Sunburst Red 4x4
We don’t need any other information from you until later but we want your initial registration request to contain all that information and in that order. The information we ask for does not determine if you get a slot or not. It is the information I need about those who are within the earliest 20 post marks.
This is the only fair way to conduct the registration that I can think of since I know that there are more people that want to go than we have slots for. All you have to do is create an email addressed to me with the above information in the text. When the clock on your computer reads exactly midnight and the date reads 11/1/ 2017 Mountain Time, click on “send”. You must calculate when would be exactly midnight Mountain Time in your own time zone. For instance if you live in CA, midnight Mountain Time would occur at 11:00 PM your time. It does not matter that you are all the way on the east coast. The instant you hit “send” is the time of the postmark I get on your email to me.
We spend a tremendous amount of time and effort in making this rolling rally enjoyable and memorable for the participants. We have done a pre-run of this tour, made numerous telephone calls and spent hours engaged in research and planning alternate campsites etc. When we go on the tour we will incur pet care costs, campsite fees and gasoline expenses as well. Therefore we are asking for a registration fee of $20 that will be refundable if, for any reason, you don’t go on the tour. This should cover our expenses.
For now I would like you to make a short post just to indicate your interest in coming on the tour. This will let us know about how many are interested.
Don in UT

Look at Al and Cindy K's photo memories of last year's tour.

2017 Southern Utah Tour
__________________

Doninut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 10:15 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Posts: 1,460
Hi Don. I hope to do this trip again in 2018. The 2017 trip was so much fun. Are you planning for a similar time frame and itinerary?
__________________

Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 11:36 PM   #3
tua
Member
 
tua's Avatar
 
Name: MANLEY
Trailer: Happier Camper
Anywhere, USA
Posts: 71
Yes I would like to go and hope I make a slot!
What will the dates be?
tua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 12:42 AM   #4
Member
 
Name: Don
Trailer: 96 Casita Spirit Delux 16 ft
Utah
Posts: 60
Tour start 10 May '18. Tour end Memorial Day - 29 May '18. Betsy and I are likely to depart on 28 May but I would recommend everyone else remain in camp (Zion NP) for the weekend.
Don
Doninut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 09:33 AM   #5
Member
 
Name: Wendy
Trailer: 2011 Casita SD 17’
California
Posts: 30
2018 Utah Trip

I'm very interested.
SactoWendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 09:46 AM   #6
Junior Member
 
Name: Jack
Trailer: Scamp
Iowa
Posts: 27
This is a wonderful experience, we would love to be selected for the 2018 tour.
Thanks Don and Betsy for doing this again
Jack & Linda Johnson
jjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 09:54 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
Posts: 2,739
wow no bathrooms no showers how will people make it? saying that I suppose someone could just follow the crowd and camp on the side of the road. Boonedocking is boonedocking


sounds like great fun


bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 11:26 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Name: Josh & Sonya
Trailer: '97 Casita SD 17; 03 Bigfoot 25RQ
Arizona
Posts: 124
We are interested as well. We passed through parts of Southern UT (Flaming Gorge) after four weeks in Grand Teton for the Eclipse, and "more" Utah time is definitely on our radar.
Josh&Sonya
Josh and Sonya W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 11:28 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Posts: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doninut View Post
I think most followers of this site knows about the annual Southern Utah Tour. Several years ago we created a rally where we would meet and travel together to three of Utah’s beautiful national parks. At first there were only a few that wanted to participate – maybe three or four. However, as these participants went to other rallies and talked about the fun we had it became more and more popular until now when we have to turn away more than those we can accept as a manageable number of 15 rigs. We have now included all five of Utah’s national parks.
There will be no hookups (except for electricity at the last campsite) for the entire trip. Some will be pure boondocking. It is a fun trip where you will meet others and make lasting friendships. If you don’t know, don’t miss this opportunity, to learn how to boondock successfully. We have several folks who want to go again and again.
Everyone has a GPS and atlas and can easily find their way to all these beautiful parks. What we do is not only visit all the parks but we are with 16 other persons or couples of like mind and with whom they already share some preferences. Also we don’t travel from place to place by the most direct way but by the most interesting and scenic roads. Some of our camping places are well “off the beaten path”. We go to places that most Utah visitors never see nor know about. The casual visitor would not chance taking the time to find these places even if they knew about them. They would most likely “go with the crowd”. After participating in a Southern Utah Tour you will have seen a good part of the southern part of the state. Certainly enough to mark it off your bucket list. We go from one campsite to the next via paved roads. However, we do lead participants on side trips to places that can only be reached by dirt / gravel roads where there are points of interest and beauty you would not see otherwise. We’re not talking about four wheeling.
All the places we go can be easily reached by any production two wheel drive pickup or SUV that has not been intentionally lowered. By going to these places you will get some dust on your $50,000, 500 horsepower truck but all is not lost. We have located car washes for you. Sometime we will pass over a section of road that may have significant wash boarding but your vehicle will easily handle it. If it can’t you probably shouldn’t drive it to Utah with a trailer behind you.
We want folks to come on the tour who want to see more than what the beautiful parks offer. This has never been the type of gathering where we park the trailer, roll out the carpet and awning or set up the auxiliary shelters, the imitation flower pots and pink flamingos and sit down. It was designed for the young at heart and curious of mind who wants to see and do more. In the evening we will sit around the campfire and chat or listen to someone entertain by whatever means. In the mornings we will either be visiting the local park(s) or taking a side trip we have planned for you.
I have noted that since we posted the announcement for the 2017 tour, there have been over 4000 views of the announcement. So it is apparent that there is still interest in becoming a part of the tour. Because there are so many folks who are interested in coming along we worked out a method of selecting participants based upon the clock. This is how it works.
At exactly midnight on 31 October 2017 Mountain Time the registration will open. No registration will be accepted before that time. The clock on your computer screen will create a “postmark” on your registration email to me. Last year we had received emails with the requested information (see below) to fill our 15 slots plus 5 alternates by 0001 1 November 2016 so you must be quick. We have alternates to fill in a vacant slot if, and when, someone already selected has to cancel out.
The registration email from those interested must contain the following information in the following order.
1. Your name(s). Don and Betsy Taylor
2. The town (city) where you live. Salt Lake City, UT
3. An email address that you check frequently. dtaylor@sisna.com
4. Your home telephone number. 801-***-4979
5. Your travel (cell phone) number (can be the same). 801-***-4979
6. Year, make and color of your tow vehicle. 4x4? ’98 Toyota Tacoma Sunburst Red 4x4
We don’t need any other information from you until later but we want your initial registration request to contain all that information and in that order. The information we ask for does not determine if you get a slot or not. It is the information I need about those who are within the earliest 20 post marks.
This is the only fair way to conduct the registration that I can think of since I know that there are more people that want to go than we have slots for. All you have to do is create an email addressed to me with the above information in the text. When the clock on your computer reads exactly midnight and the date reads 11/1/ 2017 Mountain Time, click on “send”. You must calculate when would be exactly midnight Mountain Time in your own time zone. For instance if you live in CA, midnight Mountain Time would occur at 11:00 PM your time. It does not matter that you are all the way on the east coast. The instant you hit “send” is the time of the postmark I get on your email to me.
We spend a tremendous amount of time and effort in making this rolling rally enjoyable and memorable for the participants. We have done a pre-run of this tour, made numerous telephone calls and spent hours engaged in research and planning alternate campsites etc. When we go on the tour we will incur pet care costs, campsite fees and gasoline expenses as well. Therefore we are asking for a registration fee of $20 that will be refundable if, for any reason, you don’t go on the tour. This should cover our expenses.
For now I would like you to make a short post just to indicate your interest in coming on the tour. This will let us know about how many are interested.
Don in UT

Look at Al and Cindy K's photo memories of last year's tour.

2017 Southern Utah Tour
What is the total cost? How do you dump, get water and dump?
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 02:32 PM   #10
rad
Member
 
Name: Randal
Trailer: Casita
Arizona
Posts: 50
I'd certainly be interested. Do people do this with pets?
Randal
rad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 04:42 PM   #11
Junior Member
 
Name: Jerry
Trailer: Casita
South Carolina
Posts: 26
We are very interested and look forward this possibility.
Jerrymcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 05:02 PM   #12
Member
 
Name: Don
Trailer: 96 Casita Spirit Delux 16 ft
Utah
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
What is the total cost? How do you dump, get water and dump?
Jann
As mentioned before, we have a refundable registration fee of $20. Your other costs are what you spend on fuel, food, entrance fees and whatever. Obviously I can't compute what you may spend otherwise.

When we have our 15 slots and 5 alternates selected we will send them our itinerary. Where to dump and get water is covered there. For instance we also send them a list of businesses and addresses in Moab where they can dump and get water. (Usually about $5 for both). We have had folks along who didn't have a holding tank but used some other basic means like a port-a-potty or even a well secured 5 gallon bucket. You would be amazed. Our itinerary is pretty comprehensive. Ask someone who has come along.

Long showers are probably out. However you can keep quite clean. I have an excellent (well known and well published) dermatologist here in Salt Lake City who told me that Americans waste money and do damage to their skin because they use too much soap. He said that soap for your armpits and private area daily is fine but unless you are removing specific dirt or other foreign matter from the rest of your body soap should not be used. He said that normally just a daily shower over the rest of your body is all one needs.

Of course, he is an avid camper and loves to hang out in southern Utah as well.

Don
Doninut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 05:13 PM   #13
Member
 
Name: Don
Trailer: 96 Casita Spirit Delux 16 ft
Utah
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by rad View Post
I'd certainly be interested. Do people do this with pets?
Randal
Randal

Yes. I would say that at least 35 or 40 percent bring their critters along. A dear friend has brought as many as 4 dogs in her 13' Casita. So bring your best friend if you can control him / her. A dog that likes to fight or bark a lot might not be welcome. Everybody understands that dogs bark sometime but you need to be able to make it stop.

Don
Doninut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 08:35 PM   #14
tua
Member
 
tua's Avatar
 
Name: MANLEY
Trailer: Happier Camper
Anywhere, USA
Posts: 71
Hi Don! I'm SO excited and thankful to you!
What was the coldest nighttime temperature you have ever experienced on one of these trips?
tua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 10:49 PM   #15
Member
 
Name: Don
Trailer: 96 Casita Spirit Delux 16 ft
Utah
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by tua View Post
Hi Don! I'm SO excited and thankful to you!
What was the coldest nighttime temperature you have ever experienced on one of these trips?
Tua

We have experienced waking to snow on our trailers in Escalante, UT but the same day we were in shirt sleeves visiting all the places we planned. More of a threat is the rare occasion of persistent rain like what we had in 2015. Even with very rare rain or snow you will be able to see everything the national parks have to offer. If we should have lots of rain we will not be able to take you to some of the places we like to go on our "side trips" because of the danger of getting stuck in bentonite mud - something you really want to avoid.

Here is an excerpt from some of the material we always send participants. It will give you an idea of possibilities. Consider also that we will be going in the later part of the month and that will make a difference. We will sometime be at eight, nine and almost ten thousand feet altitude and that also will make a difference.

Bring a good winter jacket and a pair or two of long jeans (like I do) and you will be prepared for the worst.

AVERAGE TEMPS for May
Capital Reef National Park High 69.0 Low 42.0 Precip 0.77 in.
Escalante High 75.0 Low 40.0 Precip 0.65 in.
Zion National Park High 82.4 Low 51.8 Precip 0.80 in.
Bryce National Park High 61.0 Low 32.0 Precip 1.05 in.
Kanab High 77.0 Low 39.0 Precip 0.89 in.
Grand Canyon National Park High 61.0 Low 33.0 Precip 0.87 in.

Don and Betsy
Doninut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 12:00 PM   #16
Member
 
Name: Don
Trailer: 96 Casita Spirit Delux 16 ft
Utah
Posts: 60
For anyone interested in the tour or if you just like some beautiful photos, I want to suggest you scroll down to the "Similar Posts" section and click on Eric's post.

Eric was on the 2013 tour and made a ton of great photos. He is an excellent photographer, dedicated animal lover and all-round great guy to have along on any trip.

Don
Doninut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 10:15 PM   #17
rad
Member
 
Name: Randal
Trailer: Casita
Arizona
Posts: 50
I'm completely new to the RVing, although I've been an outdoor guy all my life by way of backpacking, tent camping etc., but always wondered how restrained I'd be in areas that didn't allow dogs, by bringing her along. My partner thinks she should go every where with us.
rad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 10:21 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Glenn Baglo's Avatar
 
Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Posts: 6,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by rad View Post
but always wondered how restrained I'd be in areas that didn't allow dogs, by bringing her along. My partner thinks she should go every where with us.
I guess it depends how long a leash she has you on.
__________________
What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
Glenn Baglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 10:54 PM   #19
Member
 
Name: Don
Trailer: 96 Casita Spirit Delux 16 ft
Utah
Posts: 60
Rad
Yes, your dog will place some restrictions upon you. Any campground I know demands that you keep your dog on a leash or under control (inside your vehicle or camper) at all times. She will not be permitted on the trams (busses) they use to take visitors up canyon in Zion Canyon NP or Bryce Canyon NP. That would mean that someone would have to watch her while you are gone or take turns on the trams - and I doubt you want to do that. I'm not a big fan of leaving them inside your camper for their comfort and safety. If she suffers from separation anxiety you could return to a REAL mess. If she is easily controlled by someone else, someone might agree to take care of her for a couple of hours. Also they are never permitted on the hiking trails.
Don
Doninut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 12:22 AM   #20
rad
Member
 
Name: Randal
Trailer: Casita
Arizona
Posts: 50
Looks like more boarding fees, often wonder about the quality of the pet hostiles around Zions and other parks. I'm very acquainted with Zions, notice as I drive in, pet sitting businesses at the entrance. Think I'll do some checking. Does any one else know of such services?
__________________

rad is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ON | 2018, May 25-26: EggFestOntario 2018 Vivian L Rallies, Get-togethers, Molded Meets (Archive) 27 06-18-2018 05:24 AM
2017 Southern Utah Tour Al and Cindy K Camping, Campout Reports 11 10-17-2017 12:40 PM
Southern Utah Tour 2013 Ericpa3 Camping, Campout Reports 5 10-09-2017 11:02 AM
UT | 2017, May 11-28: Southern Utah Tour Doninut Rallies, Get-togethers, Molded Meets (Archive) 38 02-05-2017 02:53 PM
Northern Arizona, Southern Utah Tour Jerry Chapman General Chat 0 02-23-2009 08:16 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
×