NH 2018, May 17-20: Spring Fling in New England, in Chocorua NH - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Rallies, Get-togethers, Molded Meets (Archive)
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-22-2018, 05:23 AM   #101

Trailer: 2007 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
With out you all this Rally wouldn't be what it was.

So here is a big thank you to you all.

Thanks to all of you and the rally success, the owner approached me with an offer for another time slot for a Rally in the Fall.

I told him I would put out some "feelers" to see if there is any interest.

It would be in October the weekend after Columbus day.

Think we could call it "FALL FOLIAGE RALLY IN NEW ENGLAND"

Looking for some feed=back on this idea.

Would that be in addition to, or would that replace the spring rally? And thank you Gerry for all your hard work organizing the spring rally! We had a great time![emoji4]
nathanj04011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:37 AM   #102

Name: Anne
Trailer: U-Haul
Maine
Quote:
With out you all this Rally wouldn't be what it was.
So here is a big thank you to you all.

Thanks to all of you and the rally success, the owner approached me with an offer for another time slot for a Rally in the Fall.
I told him I would put out some "feelers" to see if there is any interest.
It would be in October the weekend after Columbus day.
Think we could call it "FALL FOLIAGE RALLY IN NEW ENGLAND"

Looking for some feed=back on this idea.
If someone would guarantee day temps in the 70's and night's in the 50's I'd say sure! But, I don't feel we would go, only because of Octobers temps.
Please tell him we say thank you, and thank you to you too for thinking of hosting another. See you next spring, Lords willing and the Creek don't rise.
Anne
Mawiejic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 08:56 AM   #103

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Fall Rally; we are not able to do it, have other plans for October
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 10:51 AM   #104

Name: Elliot
Trailer: 1998 Lance SquireLite 86
Massachusetts
Thanks to you and Barb for such a great weekend! You both did an excellent job and put in allot of effort. I am glad to have been a participant!
FreeRoader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 11:33 AM   #105

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
second rally

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanj04011 View Post
Would that be in addition to, or would that replace the spring rally? And thank you Gerry for all your hard work organizing the spring rally! We had a great time![emoji4]
This rally would be in addition to not a replacement.
The owner said even if we got 10 this year it may grow and grow.
There is quite a bit of leg work to get all things in a row and I'm wondering if maybe it could be a more subtle type of Rally with not so many gatherings at the pavilion, but just "Hey Ya-All wanna meet at my site for a sit down".
And not a formal Pot-Luck but maybe a big spaghetti dinner with bread.
I know it would be a lot easier on the wife and me.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 11:48 AM   #106

New York
Gerry; we know you and Barb did a lot of work for the Spring Fling. If the fall rally happens, keep it simple. Another rally we attended several times gave up the potluck and instead did a beverage and snack gathering one afternoon where everyone contributed some sort of snack and beverage. Followed by a "Yankee Swap" or Steal-a-gift, or whatever you want to call it.
Old 05-22-2018, 11:54 AM   #107

Looking back I figure I got about 12 hours sleep and had 3 sit down meals for the 3 days the Rally was going on.
I may get a tied down date from the owner and put it on the Rally page.
Going to take a week off for now.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:00 PM   #108

Trailer: 2007 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
This rally would be in addition to not a replacement.

The owner said even if we got 10 this year it may grow and grow.

There is quite a bit of leg work to get all things in a row and I'm wondering if maybe it could be a more subtle type of Rally with not so many gatherings at the pavilion, but just "Hey Ya-All wanna meet at my site for a sit down".

And not a formal Pot-Luck but maybe a big spaghetti dinner with bread.

I know it would be a lot easier on the wife and me.

Thanks! We very well might be interested. Like a previous poster stated, the weather that time of year can be unpredictable but it’s camping, it’s fall and it’s close to home. A trifecta! [emoji16]
nathanj04011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 02:08 PM   #109

Name: Anne
Trailer: U-Haul
Maine
Do there rallies take funds from your pocket?
Instead of a yankee swap, perhaps a raffle of some sort where folks bring in a gift ( camping related) and you take chances?
I've done quite a few of these and they can help with out of pocket expenses.
Mawiejic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 05:19 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mawiejic View Post
Do there rallies take funds from your pocket?
Instead of a yankee swap, perhaps a raffle of some sort where folks bring in a gift ( camping related) and you take chances?
I've done quite a few of these and they can help with out of pocket expenses.
To answer simply about funds, Yes. The campground does give me my site and the propane to cook the pot luck and that's it.
This is why a donation box was put out.
This years event was much more costly then lasts as last year we just did the Pot Luck and raffle that incurred a cost.
A lot of people did donate gifts for the rally this year and that was great.
We love doing it and every year I think it will grow and I may or may not dial it back a bit next year such as...
The Cheese and Cracker will be Bring your own.
I wish there were some way to limit the dishes that were brought to the Pot luck as I imagine a lot of food went to waste.
It worked out great when we had cookies for the morning coffee but then again I want to add De-Caf next year for those of us who drink that.
As said if I give Fall rally it will be a lot different.
Gerry
Old 05-22-2018, 06:09 PM   #111

New York
Gerry, a couple ideas we have found at other rallies. Meet & greet was just that, no food, everyone took turns to stand up, introduce themselves, say where they were from and what they had for a camper. We did a beverage and snack gathering one afternoon, with everyone bringing something to share, no potluck. At another rally there was a participant fee that covered a chicken barbecue that the host did, with everyone bringing a pot luck dish. The fee also covered morning coffee and donuts, with a volunteer making a donut shop run every morning. The host did not incur any out of pocket expense. One rally organizer we know will set up to purchase shirts or cups or banners, but insists on pre payment before placing the order. A community campfire in the evening is also nice. You should take donations for the wood. Camper open house is good. I saw a couple owners made "open house" signs and put them on their trailers. We do rallies at two other KOA's, one does a ice cream social and takes donations for the kids camp that KOA sponsors. The other does a spaghetti dinner free of charge. Both of those are provided by the campground. You and Barb did a great job, but you can simplify it to save yourself time and expense and it will be just as good.
Old 05-23-2018, 03:41 AM   #112

Thanks for all the input, and I almost had shirts this year, but I needed the cash and the best price I could get would only do a run of 100 shirts.
As far as getting people to pay extra for everything I hate the idea.
And, as far as getting pre orders for things so I can save money, there were only about 17 who registered with me that said they were coming to the rally.
It was just my keeping in contact with the campground office that I had an estimate of sites sold and that number was between 32 and 44.
A lot of Spring Flingers did not specify they were with the group
It makes it hard so I over-buy to make sure everyone gets something.
I know I have to go over this years Schedule and tweak the times a bit.
I was told by the office I could have bought a truck load of wood for the fire pit and it would have been dropped off at the fire pit. There were other rallies that did that but again it was too much work for me to deal with and the expense again was a factor.

To all who gave me their E-mail address: I will bring the list to my doctor and see if she can read some of them off to me as I can not read them LOL
Gerry
Old 05-23-2018, 06:59 AM   #113

New York
You need to look at participants paying extra in a different way. If we go somewhere and want a shirt, cups, firewood, and someone to cook for us, we have to pay for it. Should be no different at a rally. We can have just as good a time in a group gathering without all that. I understand the problem of people not registering with you so you know how much food to buy. I've found many threads on various sites where people do not read the whole thread, sometimes not more than the last couple posts. I tried doing a head count by reading through the whole thread and found many did not even post that they would attend and what site they reserved. Probably the best you can do is repeat the instructions every few posts. It's your rally, you did a great job with it, but it should not be at your expense. Keep it simple so that you can enjoy it more yourself.
Old 06-05-2018, 08:48 AM   #114

Trailer: Boler 1300 1977 (#2033 L EGGO)
Hi Gerry and Barb,

Thanks for a memorable camping season starter. We enjoyed meeting many new members of the "Fiberglass Family". Here is our take from the pot luck.

Take care,

Des and Diane
Attached Thumbnails
P1070575.jpg   P1070579.jpg  

P1070580.jpg  
Des Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 12:57 PM   #115

Nice Pics from the Cooking Demo we did on Thursday. So glad you had a good time and I wish you could make it next year. Nice to see another Boler at the Rally.
Gerry
Old 06-24-2018, 07:47 AM   #116

Name: Jane and John
Trailer: 2024 Escape 21C
New Hampshire
please put us on your list for next year(2019) we live in NH and have a Scamp and would love to attend next time.

thanks!!!
Jane and John Collins-Charlestown NH scamptrailer@gmail.com
NH-Boomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 05:17 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH-Boomers View Post
please put us on your list for next year(2019) we live in NH and have a Scamp and would love to attend next time.

thanks!!!
Jane and John Collins-Charlestown NH scamptrailer@gmail.com
Hi Jane & John, Next years rally will be at the same campground and I believe the date will be May 16 - 19. It runs from the Thursday after Mothers Day to the following Sunday. I have you on the mailing list but around October I will begin the post on the Rally forum. So Keep a look out.
Gerry