AZ 2019, Feb 4-10: Quartzsite Gathering 2019 - Page 7 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2019, 03:16 PM   #121

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
We must be having Quartzsite North up here in Parker Az this week. Cheri and I got a little chilled and bored sitting around down by Dome Rock so we moved up here for the past week. We have seen/counted 7 fiberglass trailers around town. We are hanging out for another couple days before heading back down. Today is the beginning of time trials for the Parker 425. An off road race they put on. Seems to be a big deal.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 02:46 PM   #122

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
For those interested, I have started a page of photos of the 2019 Quartzsite Gathering. I'll add more images to it as the rally continues.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 06:27 PM   #123

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
For those interested, I have started a page of photos of the 2019 Quartzsite Gathering. I'll add more images to it as the rally continues.
Thanks Jon, I'll be looking forward to seeing them.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:22 PM   #124

Name: Doug
Trailer: Escape
California
Registry
Gee, a bunch of eggs here already.Click image for larger version

Name:	20190205_125930.jpeg
Views:	36
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	127779Click image for larger version

Name:	20190205_125926.jpeg
Views:	36
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	127780Click image for larger version

Name:	20190205_125839.jpeg
Views:	30
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	127781Click image for larger version

Name:	20190205_125830.jpeg
Views:	33
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	127782
DougOlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 11:50 AM   #125

Registry
I had to run down to Yuma for a couple days. Do we have any updates/pictures?
Old 02-08-2019, 12:00 PM   #126

New York
Registry
I've been adding photos every day here. The new ones for today will be a little late - I'm baking blueberry pies!
Old 02-08-2019, 12:08 PM   #127

Registry
Quote:
I've been adding photos every day here. The new ones for today will be a little late - I'm baking blueberry pies!
I looked, great pics. Seems to be a bit chilly. It seems to be a good time to take care of some business in Yuma.

Both of my folks passed last spring/summer (within 2 months of each other). This is the first opportunity I've had to straighten up their place in Yuma for sale.

Should be back this afternoon.
Old 02-08-2019, 02:32 PM   #128
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
I looked, great pics. Seems to be a bit chilly. It seems to be a good time to take care of some business in Yuma.

Both of my folks passed last spring/summer (within 2 months of each other). This is the first opportunity I've had to straighten up their place in Yuma for sale.

Should be back this afternoon.
Hopefully you'll make it in time for pie!
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 04:46 PM   #129

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
Quartzsite: Why we do it

Well, at least it didn’t snow. Despite night-time temperatures in the mid thirties and daytime to the mid to high fifties with some winds, we endured and had our fun. I don’t know how many eggs showed up but it must have been about two hundred, same as last year. Saw lots of Casitas, Scamps, Escapes, Bigfoots, Olivers, a Lil' Snoozy, an Oxygen, a Boler and a Compact and, probably one other I couldn't identify.

After every one of these get-togethers I tell myself, that’s it, I’m done, not going again. Dome Rock BLM? There can’t be a more ugly, un-hospitable trailer camping ground. Rocks, gravel, gullies, plus rude and aggressive Neando-tholic plant life, predominant color being gray-brown, emphasis on the gray. How can you even walk there? No water, no cell phone service, no television, no amenities at all. Just a free and open, un-fettered land where you can park and chill, alone or with your friends, for as long as you like.

That’s what brings me back. Pity them in tents because we seniors have our eggs to keep us, well, quite comfortable. Everyone there is happy and eager to share the things they like about that one giant common denominator, the great outdoors and our blessed fiberglass trailers. It’s a wonderful thing to be a part of that special group of people.

I have eavesdropped on some amazing life stories. So much experience is concentrated in one spot. If you have some problem with your trailer you can’t solve, this is the place where someone will have an answer for you and happy to help.

On Friday at 4 PM the band began to play. Soon after the campfires were all lit and the people began to gather with their camp chairs. We listen to very fine musicians, chat and cook hot dogs over campfires. Greg’s competition for best hot dog holder made me laugh. At least a hundred rally folks gathered around. Weather was cool but reasonably comfortable if you were properly dressed. Fellowship and happy feelings made things exceptionally warm. My hot dogs were fine, ok maybe 20 per cent acid, but good, thanks really to the excellent mustard I brought.

That night it got cold again. A tap on the shoulder signaled a request to turn on the heater. Low 40’s at 4 AM.

We had to leave on Saturday but before that Ron from BC had organized a very fine orientation meeting for those who might be wanting to drive across the Mexican border down to the Baja. And, later that day, held a group meeting for those who would for sure be going to the Baja, if maybe just to pat a whale shark on the nose, once the rally was over. I had wanted to drive to the Mexican border and get a picture of me pushing against the wall but, at the Algodones border crossing near Yuma there was big congestion and no wall so, no picture. Oh well.

In Quartzsite town we found an excellent fenced dog run for Josie to romp around with new friends, we shopped at the Roadrunner market, filled jugs of water at the Burger King, got turned off by the long line into Silly Al’s, had terrible fish and chips at The Grubstake, and toured a great quilt show at the Senior Center. Herb’s Hardware store is the absolute go-to place for everything, especially if you need O-rings.
Attached Thumbnails
swap1.jpg   QrtzBLM10.jpg  

QrtzBLM9.jpg  
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 04:17 PM   #130

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
2019 Quartzsite Gathering Recap

Check out the final numbers of trailers, brands, and locations in the recap report:
https://www.scampowners.com/forums/2...#comment-11885
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 11:03 PM   #131

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Quartzsite: Why we do it

...had terrible fish and chips at The Grubstake...
This has got to be the worst place to eat in the entire Southwest.
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 12:11 PM   #132

New York
Registry
Have to agree. Next time try the Friday fish fry at Sweet Darlene's. All you can eat except for January & February.

Another meal I like at Quartzsite is the Wednesday special (Chicken Fried Chicken) at Mountain Quail.
Old 02-20-2019, 01:51 PM   #133

Name: Paula
Trailer: Oliver Elite 2015 18.5
California
Registry
Greg thanks for the stat's and Jon for all the great photos of this years event! It's always fun to look back at who's been to these rallies and see photos.
Glad you made it to our little campfire Jon.
Paula and the "compound" group!
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 08:02 PM   #134

Name: Dianne
Trailer: Scamp
California
Well, we were there at Dome Rock just further up the road from you guys with all your molded fiberglass trailers. We had 7 people, 6 dogs and 4 "stickies" in total. It was colder that a witches --- like my Dad used to say, but we had a super warm camp fire, lot's of fire wood and good grub to warm our bellies. The flea markets were fun and I'm so happy I finally made it to Quartzsite, been wanting to go there for like 20 years! Maybe next year I'll get brave enough to wander over to your neck of the woods LOL!!!
curlupndi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 07:24 PM   #135

Trailer: 1980 Trillium 4500
Kalifornia High Desert
Registry
Quote:
I usually hit the Main Street Laundromat & Showers for a shower while my clothes are in the dryer. I've never seen them all taken, and as Jim mentioned, they supply a towel, washcloth, soap & shampoo (although I prefer my own soap & shampoo - the stuff they supply is economy motel style). They have a 20 minute limit, although I've never seen anyone chase someone out.

I haven't been to any of the other laundromats to check if they have showers, but there is a Pilot & Loves truck stop in town, both of which usually have showers, although more expensive.
I'm a former truck driver and when my wife and I are traveling in our trillium we use Loves, Pilot, Flying J's and other truck stop to showers and you can both use the shower and just pay for one shower and ask for 2 extra towels and they will give them to you. There are many couples that do this. They are travel centers so the showers are opened to travelers as well as truck drivers. There is no limit to how long you shower. We always wear shower shoes, aka flip flops, in the shower. I will usually go and pay and they give you a number and will page your number or you watch the tv monitor for your number to come up and it will tell you the shower door number and you go and put the computer number in the touch pad at the door and it unlocks. You can enter as many times as you like and they change the number for the next paying customer so it is safe to enter and there is an addition lock on the inside of the door.

We now have a 34 foot Class A and still sometime will use the Flying Pilot showers if our water is low from boondocking. We are frugal, Ok cheap, so we don't stay in many full hookup campground, we like the freedom of boondocking and national forest and national parks. We still have of trillium but haven't used in in a year now but won't get rid of it yet as can get waaaay outback with it and our 4wd TV when needed.

Been to Quartzsite 4 times in the last 2 years once in the trillium and 3 times in the monster, and the trillium is more fun because you can go anywhere but snob hill, lol we look like the homeless from SF compared to them.
ROBERT ONEILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 05:35 PM   #136

Name: John
Trailer: Hymer
California
Registry
Just read this whole thread and now I'm super motivated to go next year. I'm still a little confused about what "stickies" are, but the rest of the info was very helpful. (Flashlights!)

You folks are alright. Loved the drone video, too.
OCJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 05:39 PM   #137

Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
stickies are conventional RV trailers, which use walls hung on framing... originally the framing was wood, but more and more often now its aluminum studs.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 06:26 PM   #138

Trailer: Hymer
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
stickies are conventional RV trailers, which use walls hung on framing... originally the framing was wood, but more and more often now its aluminum studs.
Got it. Thanks.
OCJohn is offline   Reply With Quote