2nd Annual Spring Spiff and Fix Rally - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2008, 10:13 PM   #1

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
2nd Annual Spring Spiff and Fix Rally

Lytle Creek, California, April 18th ~ 20th, 2008

Applewhite “Dry” Forest Service Campground

It’s that time of year again! Spring is springing, and everyone is itchy to get out with their rigs. But the first trip is usually the “shakedown” trip to see *what has gone wrong now?*… let’s get it fixed before summer!

Got a new rig? Come learn about the systems! Take it on a short trip before trekking across the country and gain some knowledge and confidence on its (And YOUR abilities)

Last year we had a small gathering, and not much work got done, except fixing my awning that blew apart.. So…Let’s try again!

The idea here is for folks to bring their skills, or lack of them, and help each other with a nagging little problem in our rigs that we just don’t have the chops to fix on our own. If you can’t do it, another member can! It's a trading skills kinda thing. "You fix mine, I'll fix yours!"

You don’t have to have a problem OR a skill to come tho. Come to enjoy the weekend close to home in the urban sprawl known as LA.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 10:20 PM   #2

Registry
ABOUT APPLEWHITE CAMPGROUND

Location: Off of the 15 freeway at Sierra/Lytle Creek road, just south of Devore, north of Fontana.

Take I-15 to Sierra exit, go north on Lytle Creek road through the little berg of Lytle Creek. It's about a mile past town on the right.

Extremely close to the LA area and very easy to get to. At the base of the San Bernardinos and Cajon Pass on the Inland Empire side. It is a non reservable DRY campground. There are water spigots, but you will need a water thief or tote to fill your tanks, There are flush toilets, but no showers.

GENERATORS ARE ALLOWED. Those with portables are encouraged to bring them as some tools may require AC for some repairs.

There are new hosts that don't charge for "extra" vehicles (We can tell you about that from last years rally when you come :-P)

Across the road is the Lytle Creek day use area where the stream is full, and I hear the fishing is good. Lots of fire roads to explore as well, Mormon Rocks, a unique area of huge formations pushed up by the earthquake fault and for the more hearty that like to drive, Big Bear and other areas are a long day trip away.

You will need to show up Thursday evening to have a spot for sure, Friday is good chances, and Saturday may be iffy for the best sites, but I have never seen it full, even in summer.

There are many double sites at $20 each nite, there are no rules saying a single can't take a double, and frankly, if you do, it will keep the large party groups away. Singles are $10. Most are level, all have some, if not complete shade and the usual amenities one would expect from a Forest Service site.

Friday traffic can be a drag, but isn't it everywhere down here?
Old 03-13-2008, 10:26 PM   #3

Registry
Some pictures of the campground

Click image for larger version

Name:	applewhite1.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	207.9 KB
ID:	12027

Name:	applewhite3.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	235.0 KB
ID:	12029
Attached Thumbnails
applewhite2.jpg   applewhite4.jpg  

Old 03-13-2008, 10:35 PM   #4

Registry
More

Name:	applewhite5.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	201.7 KB
ID:	12031

Name:	applewhite7.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	191.6 KB
ID:	12033

The map shows, in red, the best routes to take on Friday nite to avoid the Vegas traffic. The black up the 15 is the "short Direct" way, but on Friday, it may be better to detour.

We did a pot luck on Saturday nite last year that turned out nicely. Lets do it again! There is a large common area we can use if we get a big group. Extra tables would be in order if it looks like it, otherwise, it's pretty casual.

Post here if you are considering coming, and if you your rig needs attention, post that too! One of our brilliant experts can speak up with an "I can do that!"
Attached Thumbnails
applewhite6.jpg   applewhitemap_copy.jpg  

Old 03-13-2008, 10:38 PM   #5

Registry
oh, there is a dump station available on your way out of town in a private RV park. I will supply the info if/when you need it. There is a minimal charge.

For those with air cards on Verizon.. 5 bars! (Go figure.. no TV signal tho)

Gina D. ~ 17 ft Burro, Thursday, Friday and Saturday nites.
Liz and Eric ~ 13 ft. Boler, Thurs, Fri, Sat nites
Rosemary ~ Mystery sleeping accommodation, Thurs, Fri, Sat nites
Fred and Robert ~ 16 ft Fiberstream, Friday, Sat Nites
James Harper ~ 16ft Fiberstream, Thurs, Fri, Sat nites
David & Leslie de Beaux ~ 13ft Scamp, Thurs, Fri, Sat nites
Elvin, Sally and Rex ~ 17 ft Casita, Thurs, Fri nites
Kurt and Ann Klingbiel, ~ 17 ft Casita, Fri, Sat nites
Old 03-14-2008, 11:45 AM   #6

Trailer: 2002 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe
Jim and I will have to miss this rally, as we will be returning from Texas. We will be at the Bluebonnet Rally and then afterwards spending a few days in San Antonio.

Just can't fit all these fun rallies in. Have a great time.

CarolnJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 11:53 AM   #7

Registry
ah, and I already told Wilson he would probably get to play with Jerry
Old 03-14-2008, 06:37 PM   #8

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
ah, and I already told Wilson he would probably get to play with Jerry
Boy you are in big trouble!

How would he feel about two chi-wa-was and a poxer?

Rosemary and I and the dawgs will be there. Who knows about the boys?
Old 03-14-2008, 09:40 PM   #9

Registry
He has Sticky wrapped around his little paw.. chiwah wahs and boxers are nuthin!

Bring 'em along! Will Rosemary be in her rig?
Old 03-14-2008, 10:58 PM   #10

Registry
Probably not. You can make her tent a trailer.

Memmmmmoriiies........
Old 03-14-2008, 11:48 PM   #11

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Gina,
As usual, going to have to "play it by ear". Sounds like a good opportunity for a shake down before we take off for a hopefully 2 mo. trip. We had hoped to make Bandon again, but my niece is getting married that week-end in Claremont.
We were just talking about & looking @ pictures of Heartbar, but there's nothing wrong with Lytle Creek. It is definitely getting time to relieve the winter itchy-feet syndrome!

Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 09:33 AM   #12

Registry
I think it is a most EXCELLENT way to make sure systems are tip top before you leave. Bring her down, you are off the hill.. thats the hardest part of your trek!

Heartbar doesn't open until May. Sigh. Or it would be on the "Top" of the list!
Old 03-15-2008, 11:45 AM   #13

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Robert and I have this on our schedule. I need to replace my black tank's leaky dump valve. Am I allowed to do that?
Friday evening traffic! Yay!!!
Old 03-15-2008, 11:52 AM   #14

Registry
You are, but I am not sure there will be a rash of volunteers to help..

I will be, er, serving beer at that time... ya, thats it

Old 03-17-2008, 11:44 PM   #15

Registry
I have come up with a project (Very small) that my arthritic fingers and total lack of skill can't accomplish.

Yes, I will have the worlds first Burro with RIVETS!!!! I want to attach one of my full sized solar panels to my rockguard on hinges. I figured rivets would actually be better for theft deterrent than nuts and bolts, but I don't have the tools and can't squeeze them even if I did.

Anyone that can help?

I have also put in a request with the forest service (This is one of the few campgrounds still directly operated by the FS in this area) to use the normally closed until summer upper loop. It will be gated off and for our exclusive use, but they are checking with the host and seeing if this is possible. I'll keep everyone posted if thats the case.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:44 PM   #16

Registry
Hopefully Thurs, Fri and Sat nights for both of us.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:58 PM   #17

Registry
I am going to drop my trailer on Thursday am and then come there after work in the evening. Just plop where you feel like! There are about 20 spots, pick your poison. I will try to take a central long one.

Anyone for a pot luck brunch on Saturday? If we have fisher peoples, that may not work. Make a suggestion!

Old 03-24-2008, 10:00 PM   #18

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
I am going to drop my trailer on Thursday am and then come there after work in the evening. Just plop where you feel like! There are about 20 spots, pick your poison. I will try to take a central long one.

Anyone for a pot luck brunch on Saturday? If we have fisher peoples, that may not work. Make a suggestion!
If you get the separate campground area, would I be able to show up Friday night and get a spot? I can't come on Thursday but if I have to cancel Lake San Antonio I might try this one.

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 10:00 PM   #19

Registry
and where are all our LA boondockers???? Lots of folks I see on here, but have never met.. come on down! It's close!
Old 03-24-2008, 10:05 PM   #20

Registry
Bobbie, I have not heard back from the FS.. but even if not, as mentioned, you will have no trouble getting a spot. This campground is never full. Unless you fish, or are into just sitting, there are no "attractions" so it isn't a high draw campground. Especially on a non holiday week.

In the unlikely event that it is full, there is a place just down the road a mile or two you can get into so your drive would not be wasted. It's an "RV" park (sort of) that I have also never seen full. It has water and electric in every site