Any Coloradoians interested? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-31-2008, 11:41 AM   #15

Trailer: Casita
Yea - I was hesitant to say anything to put a monkey wrench into the party too, but Sept might be better. Also may want to consider south - like La Vita - we have had vintage Airstream rallies there that were good because it easier to get to if you are coming up from Texas, NM or Arizona...

Ken J.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:54 PM   #16

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Ok, you guys are probably right about Oct.......... I am just a fall colors girl! But Sept is probabaly better (just shorter notice for people) So now we have to come up with a campground. Can anyone think of anything around Cuchara? It's beautiful there as well. As far as State or Blm campsites I don't know of any good ones down there. I guess we should pick an area that is easy for others to get to. When I get home, I will pull my books out and see what I can find, unless others come up with a great area. Robin

Old 07-31-2008, 01:29 PM   #17

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft
Lori & I will be in the south-west Colorado area (Pagosa Springs) the last week of August. We are going to a Bluegrass festival with The Legendary Earl Scruggs. http://www.folkwest.com/index2.htm

RATS, we'll miss your Rally.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:03 PM   #18

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Mike, You and Lori should hang around the area for a while ! It's so beautiful there and if you guys hung out long enough you could join us, aaaaaaa where-ever we end up Enjoy the Fesitval, It's suppose to be great! Robin
Old 08-11-2008, 08:07 PM   #19

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp / Silver Ford 150
Grand Mesa might be interesting - it's awfully empty, with a myriad of lakes. No hookps (that I'm aware of) and lots of basic camping, good fishing, moose, elk. Far enough from civilization that many coloradans never get there.
September is less likely to get snowed in anywhere, but we have gotten heavy snow here in early Sept in the past....

Barring
Old 08-11-2008, 08:31 PM   #20

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Illinois
Registry
I am working on getting a getogether for the first or second week of October, most likely the second one, in Galena, IL, if that affects your plan. It will not be until next year, though. Must get tenure papers together this year.

CindyL
Old 08-12-2008, 11:59 AM   #21

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Hi all -

We hope this rally comes together and a good time is had by all. Unhappily, family matters will keep us in California until 9/16, and that will put us in the Rockies too late ... too cold for D.

However it goes, keep posting all the info - thanx, L 'n D
Old 08-15-2008, 05:39 PM   #22

Quote:
Any Colorado Egger's interested in getting a rally started in Colorado or even just a Egg get together? I am thinking of fall or spring, but hey we could do both If interested, speak up............. Robin
I'd attend a west slope destination probably... its "almost" my backyard.
Old 08-15-2008, 05:40 PM   #23

Quote:
Grand Mesa might be interesting - it's awfully empty, with a myriad of lakes. No hookps (that I'm aware of) and lots of basic camping, good fishing, moose, elk. Far enough from civilization that many coloradans never get there.
September is less likely to get snowed in anywhere, but we have gotten heavy snow here in early Sept in the past....

Barring
I second that! especially the trout part.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:29 PM   #24

Name: Orlen
Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
Colorado
Robin

I just returned from three days of camping at Camp Hale. If folks are interested in a Colorado get together at a dispersed camping facility Camp Hale would be great. There is enough room for hundreds (literally) of campers. Camp Hale is located on Hwy 24 between Leadville and Minturn about 5 miles west of the Tennessee Pass summit.

This is where the 10th Mountain Division trained during WWII. All the buildings have been razed so there is a lot of flat area for camping and some big areas that could hold at least 30 rigs.

Best part - no cost for camping in the dispersed camping area. They do have a groomed camping area of about 15 sites that costs $14 a day and requires reservations. The groomed area does not have any utilities so I couldn't see any advantage to it over the dispersed camping area.

There is no electricity, water or sewer and no well water available on site so everyone would have to bring their own supplies.

I'll get some pictures processed (shrunk down to a reasonable size) and post them here tomorrow.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:49 PM   #25

Trailer: 1987 13 ft Casita
Camping. Isn't that what I got my camper for? I've had a terrible time trying to do that though.

Was going to go up to Shrine Pass but the weather forecast was all rain! Stayed home with a cocoa.

I wouldn't be able to join you guys since my work schedule includes Saturdays. When I was up on Grand Mesa it was pretty cool. I was boondocking in my tent at the time. Sat out in the moonless night with my wine and watched an owl "shadow" my dog as she wandered around the meadow. Very nice place to hang.

Not to put a damper on things but hunting season actually starts August 30. Archery first. Muzzleloaders start mid September and rifle in mid October. Bear season is all of September. At least with a bow and arrow they have to see you well before they let loose.

Paula
Old 08-19-2008, 10:23 AM   #26

Trailer: 2006 (25B21RB) 21 ft Bigfoot / Dodge 2500 Diesel
Robin,

We have been hoping for a Colorado gathering. So, count on us making every effort to attend.

A fall get together will be short notice for us and may not be able to attend. A spring get together would be a for sure.

Let us know how we can help.

Dean & Mary
Old 08-29-2008, 05:11 PM   #27

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe / Infiniti SUV
Quote:
I called the Blue Spruce and they said 20/night and free use of the pavillion and dining hall - so its a great deal if it works.
Ken J.
Blue Spruce is a nice campground, easy to get to from Durango. We've not camped there, but some of our local Good Sam chapter members go there frequently and recommend it.

Another nice Four Corners campground is Priest Gulch, beautiful setting right on the Dolores River, north of Dolores, CO. Nearby attractions are Mesa Verde N.P. and the Anasazi Cultural Center at Dolores. (The latter has great interactive displays for kids.) Priest Gulch is high on our "must do" list, but I understand reservations are sometimes hard to get.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:42 PM   #28

I've stayed at Priest Gulch and yes it is a very nice campground - highly recommend it.

I suggested Blue Spruce because I know the owner really well and would give us a reasonable price + free use of the pavillion.

Ken J.