CA April 12-16th Aqua Caliente County Park Gathering - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2012, 01:13 PM   #21

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
I haven't ever camped there but if wind and sand are going to keep you home it really limits where you can go, in fact I can't think of a place you can go. So Cal is beach and desert and there is usually wind.

Hubby says there are 50-60 mph winds every time you tow and if you are leaving the LA area you are going to hit open desert pretty quick.

So I hope you come!
Old 02-20-2012, 01:30 PM   #22

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denece View Post
I want to come but DH read something about high winds and blowing sand in the area and is concerned about the paint on our new-to-us Compact II. Can someone who has camped there confirm the safety (sanctity really ) of his new paint?
LOL how high is too high of winds???

Having camped there I can tell you that the campground is surrounded by hills on three sides - the only side exposed to the open desert (actually the campground is a bit uphill from the desert floor) is the East. So if the winds are coming from the North, South or West you should be pretty protected from the full force of them. But dont hold me to that!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:18 AM   #23

Trailer: Cardinal (Restoring)
If you are worried about wind you should just put a cover on your Compact and put it in your garage. What would you do if there were no winds when you got there and then the wind came up? You shouldnt limit your camping to what the weather COULD be! Mother Nature isnt concerned with us, she has worse issues to deal with.
RRIZZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:20 AM   #24

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
LOL how high is too high of winds???

Having camped there I can tell you that the campground is surrounded by hills on three sides - the only side exposed to the open desert (actually the campground is a bit uphill from the desert floor) is the East. So if the winds are coming from the North, South or West you should be pretty protected from the full force of them. But dont hold me to that!
Hey Carol,
How come you arent joining us for this gathering?
Old 02-21-2012, 06:20 PM   #25

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
OK I was concerned because posters on another forum reported 65mph winds every night they were there. Not sounding like much fun at the campfire. That's why I asked for information from some of you who have stayed there
Sorry I pushed somebody's hot button. I certainly did not expect the negativism I got. I was asking a reasonable question, I thought
We might be a little gunshy having been in one of those sand storms that required repainting our truck and replacing the windshield
Sheesh
Obviously we got the camper to camp. And we were really looking forward to taking it to a Fiberglass Event i am not so sure now I sure didn't expect the reactions I got from some of you
Denece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:48 PM   #26

Trailer: 2002 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe
Hi Denice

I'm Carol and my husband is Jim. We've been to many rallies with these folks and I'm positive no one meant to push any buttons. Things do come over in writing sometimes reading a little different than if you heard them say it.

We have been in charge of the Lake Casitas rally and celebrated our 10th year of putting it on . Most of these folks have gone to the rally almost every year. You will soon have a whole group of new friends.

But please do come to this rally... It's a fun group.. everyone is very friendly.. and you will be welcomed with open arms ..

Rosemary has worked hard to get this together and Liz her friend, has been working with her too. We don't want you to miss out on a fun activity ...

Jim and I will be in site 7 and we have the "famous" cat Jerry that most people have met. We say "famous" because we are the ones that always bring a cat - and he is friends with most everyone.

We will be watching for you in April and if you want to chat with me on email, just click on my name on the left and send a personal message or an email. I will be happy to answer any questions that you might have ..

Hope we see that you post here and will be joining us. (Don't let a little wind stop you -- our trailer is 10 years old and it still is great.. it's been through many wind storms too).

Carol and Jim (and Jerry)
CarolnJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:56 PM   #27

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Denese, I don't think anyone meant to hurt your feelings. We were saying weather is unpredictable so get out there and camp, don't let the possibility keep you home.

If the weather was so bad at the campground people wouldn't be camping there at all and I know many people who have gone and reported it was nice. According to the online reservations the campground is almost full every weekends. That doesn't mean there are never high winds there, it is the desert after all. We always try to check the weather reports before we go somewhere... but they aren't always right.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:11 PM   #28

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRIZZO View Post
Hey Carol,
How come you arent joining us for this gathering?
I would love to be able to go back there but I am in BC and I just got back from a Arizona/S. Cal on December 23rd in time for ski season here - I also have a couple of big ski races I have to work in April (I'm a volly official with Alpine Canada) will be heading down to the NOG meet at Nehalem, Oregon later in April though. You should come to that! Its another really nice place to camp my fav on the Oregon coast.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:36 PM   #29

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolnJim View Post
Jim and I will be in site 7 and we have the "famous" cat Jerry that most people have met. We say "famous" because we are the ones that always bring a cat - and he is friends with most everyone.
Carol and Jim (and Jerry)
Carol, Jerry is indeed famous - in fact while I was at Aqua Caliente a couple camping near me asked if I had ever attended trailer meets and if I had meet the couple with a Casita who walk their cat on a leash - they had apparently meet you last summer someplace along their travels. Small world.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:43 PM   #30

Thanks Carol.. It's nice to know Jerry has friends in the camping world that remember him... It could have been Jerry, so I will pass the message on to him.

We have met a few others that bring their cats and a few do walk them on a leash. We also have a stroller for Jerry and he loves riding in it. Anything to make our lives easier and have a happy kitty.

Have fun in your travels..
Old 02-22-2012, 06:37 PM   #31

Denece: Sorry if we sounded so negative. We were in Quartzsite AZ a few weeks ago and went thru a verry windy nite. Actually delayed going home a day due to wind. Dont let weather keep you from camping but be prepared for anything. Where were you that caused that much damage to your vehicle?
Old 02-22-2012, 08:32 PM   #32

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
I may have been over sensitive i just didnt expect so much " get out there and dang the consequences or park it and be sissies" And maybe it wasnt meant that way but its hard to tell in print
As for our adventure...were on I-5 going to Disneyland and they closed the grapevine for snow. We'd been thru Bakersfield so decided to take the Western alternate. What a ride! The wind was picking up our 5th wheel and waggling it behind us! Then it started to rain and we couldn't clear the windshield to see ( in LA traffic) due to the pitting. I don't think my hubby enjoyed The Happiest Place on Earth that trip!

We have just come off 8 years living aboard and cruising in a small sailboat so we know a bit about weather. We also know that there are anchorages that for all their attractions are just not tenable in some conditions

We've run into a couple of extra projects in our rehab on this trailer so may not be ready for a 400 mile first trip in April. Well see how it goes
Denece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:38 PM   #33

Name: K
Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
California
We so wanted to joined everyone for this gathering but my son's baseball schedule just came out and we have a game that Saturday. I hope everyone has a great time. Years ago (more than 20 years, wow) we got a Siamese kitten and he loved to ride in the car and also to walk on a leash. He was a "people" cat and would have loved camping!
HappyFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:18 PM   #34

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFamily View Post
We so wanted to joined everyone for this gathering but my son's baseball schedule just came out and we have a game that Saturday. I hope everyone has a great time. Years ago (more than 20 years, wow) we got a Siamese kitten and he loved to ride in the car and also to walk on a leash. He was a "people" cat and would have loved camping!
Darn old baseball, well perhaps you can join us in October @ Lake Casitas. Its a fabulous outting. Keep your eye on the posting as there may be another that you can join us at.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:20 PM   #35

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRIZZO View Post
Darn old baseball, well perhaps you can join us in October @ Lake Casitas. Its a fabulous outting. Keep your eye on the posting as there may be another that you can join us at.
There is a lady that joins us @ Casitas who walks an Abyssian on a leash and his name is RAJ,,,,very regal
Old 02-23-2012, 01:25 PM   #36

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denece View Post
I may have been over sensitive i just didnt expect so much " get out there and dang the consequences or park it and be sissies" And maybe it wasnt meant that way but its hard to tell in print
As for our adventure...were on I-5 going to Disneyland and they closed the grapevine for snow. We'd been thru Bakersfield so decided to take the Western alternate. What a ride! The wind was picking up our 5th wheel and waggling it behind us! Then it started to rain and we couldn't clear the windshield to see ( in LA traffic) due to the pitting. I don't think my hubby enjoyed The Happiest Place on Earth that trip!

We have just come off 8 years living aboard and cruising in a small sailboat so we know a bit about weather. We also know that there are anchorages that for all their attractions are just not tenable in some conditions

We've run into a couple of extra projects in our rehab on this trailer so may not be ready for a 400 mile first trip in April. Well see how it goes
Would love to have you join us if possible, we promise not to bite!!!!
I couldnt quite figure out where you had the wind/rain experience. What is the western route you mentioned? It is quite often that thru the winter the CHP closes the Grapevine for snow. Where are you guys that the trip would be 4 hrs? WE have a couple coming from Lompoc also on a Disneyland/see family excursion.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:13 PM   #37

Name: Austin
Trailer: 2003 13' Scamp Deluxe
California
Registry
We're thinking of making an excursion out to the Arroyo Tapiado Mud Caves (about 40 minute drive from campground) on Saturday. If anyone would like to caravan out there, we'd love to have the company! The caves are naturally formed and pretty incredible...and if this guy can handle a morning of spelunking, anyone can!

(Image resized by moderator; see "speulunk-1.jpg", below)

Here's a few other pics from our last trip to the caves in December:

(1st image resized by moderator; see "dark.jpg", below)

The caves are really very close to the campground but because of the off road route, it takes a little time to get there. (Off-road, meaning your car will get pretty dusty, but not meaning you must have a jeep to get there... my corolla made the trip once and did just fine) You drive right up to the mouth of the cave (s) and then can hike in as far as you dare. I personally have a 'no crawling on hands on knees' rule but we were still able to explore several caves for several hours and had a pretty fun time. If you're interested, pack a flashlight (or better yet a headlamp) and some warm layers- the caves can be much cooler than outside temperature.

Let us know if anyone is interested!
Attached Thumbnails
dark.jpg   speulunk-1.jpg  

ajn81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:11 PM   #38

Name: Brooke
Trailer: U Haul CT13
California
Great idea! I would love to see the Arroyo Tapiado Mud Caves.

Count me in.
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:06 AM   #39

Smile Agua Caliente Saturday night only

Just heard from Bonnie and Tao ... they reserved site 18 for Saturday night.

Carol and Jim
Old 02-25-2012, 01:09 AM   #40

Arroyo Tapiado Mud Caves

We're interested in the caves.. What time do you plan on pulling out of the campground?

Also .... Bonnie and Tao will be arriving Saturday morning, but would like to see the caves.