April 22-24, 2011: NOG - N. Oregon Gathering - Page 9 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-20-2011, 03:15 PM   #113

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp (Egg Salad Annie)
Registry
Looks to be dry we will leave noonish tommorrow. Looks to be cool at night. Put in the old dependable hot water bootles Low tech warmers, Dogs and Linda love them $15 at Rite Aid

Old 04-20-2011, 05:04 PM   #114

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Escape
Registry
When we went to the fall NOG at this campground, we took #47 south from Clatskanie and dodged the logging trucks. It was enough of an adventure that we took Taylor's alternate route homebound, but I would do it again if I had to.

In truth, I find I-5 worse than Hwy #47 on a weekday. I really don't enjoy towing on busy Interstates.

Tomorrow we plan to overnight at the Lacey, WA Walmart. Then I think we'll try to follow roads that parallel I-5 from Olympia to Longview. We'll cross the river there, take Hwy #30 south (upstream) to St Helens, and head west from there. According to Google Maps, it's Sykes Rd, Brooks Rd, Dowd Rd, Bunker Hill Rd to the Scappoose-Vernonia Highway.

Any local knowledge that says this is a bad idea?

Old 04-20-2011, 06:35 PM   #115

Registry
It would be easier to cross the Longview Bridge, go right then left at top of the grade to Hudson Parcher Park. That is the next intersection. Go right maybe a mile and veer left onto APIARY ROAD.That takes you to hwy 47. go left follow 47 thru Vernonia and to turn off to State Park. Scapoose takes you to 47 but that is a long back track.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:37 PM   #116

Registry
Ron I believe that is a back track of the way I directed you to go home last time I attended. Also Vernonia Golf Course is up and running ..
Old 04-20-2011, 06:42 PM   #117

Registry
Understood, Taylor. That worked well for us the last time, and I would recommend it for people coming down from Seattle. Definitely better than going all the way to Portland, and less white-knuckly than 47 over the pass.

The point of the route I am discussing is just to go somewhere we have never been before. We'd reduce the amount of back-tracking by turning off #30 at St Helens instead of Scappoose, although that puts us on smaller roads.

I have just started packing. The first thing in the TV was the golf bag.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:48 PM   #118

Registry
Good deal enjoy the adventure , Must be Golf season the lawn mowers are all running and the weather will be dryerrrrrrrrr
Old 04-20-2011, 11:29 PM   #119

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
[QUOTE=Jim_B;245408]Coming from Tacoma I can't see why you would go on I205 and back track on I5. That would add about 28 miles and 30 minutes to your drive.

We camp for relaxation. We are both retired, and now are in no hurry to get anywhere. I tow at about 50-55, MAX. It has been many years since I drove I-5 thru Portland. We started taking I-205 as soon as it was finished.

Since we are in no hurry, we take the most relaxing way to get anywhere, regardless of the number of extra miles. Going by I-5/I-205/ then backtracking a little on I-5, is a relatively low-stress no-brainer for us.

Your mileage may very

See yuh there,

Mike
Old 04-20-2011, 11:55 PM   #120

Registry
Mike, the path that Taylor describes will take about the same time, but save 50 miles compared to 205. Pleasant drive through good backcountry roads. Real gas money savings. Entirely unlike 47 from Clatskanie. At least have a look on your iPhone before you decide for certain.
Old 04-21-2011, 01:34 AM   #121

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Stewart View Post
Mike, the path that Taylor describes will take about the same time, but save 50 miles compared to 205. Pleasant drive through good backcountry roads. Real gas money savings. Entirely unlike 47 from Clatskanie. At least have a look on your iPhone before you decide for certain.
Ron,

I appreciate your efforts to convince us that we could get there faster and cheaper, but our philosophy is somewhat different.

Sandy drives a 2003 Toyota, bought new, which only has about 40,000 miles on it. I drive a 2007 Dodge Dakota, also bought new, with only 20,000 miles on it. Having worked for most of my career in the environmental field, we both try to conserve energy and money daily.

But when it comes to our camping, each trip is a mini-vacation. I don't go for the shortest road, but the most enjoyable (or at least the least unpleasant). Low-stress is very high on our priorities. If low-stress camping costs a little more time and/or money, our consciences are clear.

I appreciate your concern for us, but we prefer the "road less traveled" when it comes to vacations.

Mike
Old 04-21-2011, 09:41 AM   #122

Registry
My main point is that Apiary road is very pleasant. It's pretty, not twisty, and lightly travelled. I'll leave it at that.
Old 04-22-2011, 01:14 AM   #123

Name: N/A
Trailer: 1985 AND 1988 Casita Patriot Deluxe 13'ers. 10 eggs shy of a carton!
Oregon
Registry
I arrived this evening....site 54 west...and the skies are clear after a few showers. Coyotes are singing....my dog is snoring. Looking forward to seeing everyone!
Old 04-22-2011, 06:59 PM   #124

Name: Bruce T
Trailer: Compact jr
Indiana
Registry
get those pictures posted people! Please
Old 04-22-2011, 09:21 PM   #125

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette Deluxe / 2006 Toyota Tundra
I promise that I will get together with the NOG group some day.
You have been a big help with my SCAMP
I hope you all are having lots of fun.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:03 PM   #126

Name: Dan
Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft "Siesta"
Oregon
Registry
Just back from NOG and boy, what a great bunch of people at our first meet and first time out. We even won a wonderful wooden bowl from Mike Price. We had two nice days of sunny weather. I hate to say it, but I did want rain for the last day to drive back in. It was a good way to check the window and door seals. Thanks for fantastic time. Now I'm really looking foreword to the Bandon get together.