MB Aug. 19-21, 2011: Fiberglass & Vintage Camper Rally - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Rallies, Get-togethers, Molded Meets (Archive)
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-07-2011, 07:39 AM   #61

Trailer: 1996 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel ('TOGETHERNEST' SLEEPS 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Mooyman View Post
Thanks Lyndon, do you know what sites Dwyane and Jackie and Brad and his wife will be in?

Rick
I know they will be in section A and i think Pete is in 12 ??? There will be pop corn on Friday night and cowboy coffee in the morning.
Lyndon Laney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:02 AM   #62

Trailer: Boler
Geocaching

Just learning Geochaching.....took me 4 times to find my first one; therefore, I am looking forward to learning how to use the GPS. As well, if anyone is willing to share info about GSAK I would really appreciate it as I am trying to learn it myself. I have a prememium membership to Geocaching.com but unsure all the benefits it provides to me. In the mist of figuring out pocket queries, POI, etc. Looking forward to it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayson Wall View Post
I'll bring my GPS as well, although a few of the caches in the park are mine...aka The Boler Expeditions.

I will be camping in St.Malo during the 1st week of August, so I will hide a few more, but outside the park boundaries. Recent Provincial Park regulations (red tape) has made geocaching hiding in the park very cumbersome.
elgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 03:44 PM   #63

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Registry
Wow does not take much to get you excited Grant.

I prefer to boondock and run my LED's from my solar system. Glad the site switch worked out for you.

Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant J. View Post
We got it!! Yay! Electricity!

Thank you so much!

GJ
Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 03:46 PM   #64

Registry
Manitoba Rally

Wow look at the calandar, less then 2 weeks till the rally. Dont believe all your read on the weather channel web site we all need to do the SUN DANCE and it will be a great weekend.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:07 PM   #65

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft
Registry
Rally schedule

Great to see all the new participants signing up, we now have over 30 trailers registered! Also, the rally schedule has been added to the very first post in this thread, which should make it easier to locate when needed.
Vacation is over and now back to the real world for me... thanks again Rick for the many hours of work on this forum and the rally.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:40 AM   #66

Registry
No problem Roland, I would gladly do it again. Wow cant believe how close we are getting now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland H View Post
Great to see all the new participants signing up, we now have over 30 trailers registered! Also, the rally schedule has been added to the very first post in this thread, which should make it easier to locate when needed.
Vacation is over and now back to the real world for me... thanks again Rick for the many hours of work on this forum and the rally.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:48 AM   #67

Registry
Manitoba Rally

One week to go! Is everyone getting excited?
Old 08-12-2011, 09:29 AM   #68

Registry
Quote:
One week to go! Is everyone getting excited?
. I need to clean the trailer!!
Old 08-12-2011, 04:38 PM   #69

Registry
It can't be as dirty as it was at last years rally. At least we had a free trailer wash rain on the way home last year.

Quote:
. I need to clean the trailer!!
Old 08-12-2011, 04:44 PM   #70

Registry
Pot Luck Supper

I have been asked by one our campers that will attend this years rally as to how a Pot Luck Supper works.

Well here it is:

Bring something that will not spoil or something you can make at your site before coming for supper. Basicly we never know whats for supper till everyone gets there with their dish.

Please also bring your own chair, cup and plate and cutlery Paper plates and plastic cutlery works best if you dont want to do dishes.

Rick
Old 08-14-2011, 04:51 PM   #71

Registry
Quote:
I have been asked by one our campers that will attend this years rally as to how a Pot Luck Supper works.

Well here it is:

Bring something that will not spoil or something you can make at your site before coming for supper. Basicly we never know whats for supper till everyone gets there with their dish.

Please also bring your own chair, cup and plate and cutlery Paper plates and plastic cutlery works best if you dont want to do dishes.

Rick
That pretty well sums it up Rick. There was a nice variety at last years rally, here are some examples from year one:

Pasta salad
Crackers and cheese
Baked ham
Meatballs
Buns, bread
Pickles and cheese
Salad
Baked beans
Snacks, chips
Fruit, watermelon

I know I'm missing some food items but that is a general breakdown. For those who have electrical spots I have found a crock pot to be very handy, not only for cooking but also for transporting and serving food.

Hope that helps and please feel free to ask Rick or myself any questions that you may have.
Roland
Old 08-14-2011, 05:13 PM   #72

Registry
Meet & Greet and Potluck location

I spoke with the Resource Officers at St Malo park this weekend and they are organizing a meeting area for our Meet & Greet on Friday and for our Potluck on Saturday.

It is to be located close to site #4 and 5 in Section A. They have moved tables and fire pits into the area for our use. As mentioned earlier just look for the happy group of campers.

Roland
Old 08-15-2011, 04:16 PM   #73

Name: Brad
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Site

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndon Laney View Post
I know they will be in section A and i think Pete is in 12 ??? There will be pop corn on Friday night and cowboy coffee in the morning.
Brad &Jane are in A 07. Rick. Is there any reason we'll need any Canadian money in the park?

Brad
brsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 04:17 PM   #74

Registry
Good work Roland, do they have a campfire restriction?

Quote:
I spoke with the Resource Officers at St Malo park this weekend and they are organizing a meeting area for our Meet & Greet on Friday and for our Potluck on Saturday.

It is to be located close to site #4 and 5 in Section A. They have moved tables and fire pits into the area for our use. As mentioned earlier just look for the happy group of campers.

Roland
Old 08-15-2011, 04:37 PM   #75

Registry
Eh Brad, credit cards work in most places but I am not sure if the snack bar or the stores in St Malo take US cash. I would suggust you get some of our pretty colored money. But if you dont plan on buying anything them it is entirely up to you.

Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by brsch View Post
Brad &Jane are in A 07. Rick. Is there any reason we'll need any Canadian money in the park?

Brad
Old 08-15-2011, 04:48 PM   #76

Registry
Fire Restrictions - Good News!

Due to the very dry weather in Manitoba there are some parks that have fire restrictions, meaning, no fires at all!

However, St. Malo park is not part of these restrictions so we will be able to have fires in our campsites and at the get togethers.

I called the St Malo Park office today and they stated that due to their different type of vegetation and trees they are not at a very high fire risk.

A note for our American friends crossing the border. It probably will not pay to bring fire wood from your home into Canada...Customs generaly will not allow raw wood through the border due to possible transfer of insects.

Roland
Old 08-15-2011, 10:12 PM   #77

Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300
I usually spend up to 2 weeks each camping season at St.Malo over the past few years. In fact I just did a 2 week stint there and just got back.

For those of you unfamiliar with the area, I will try to fill you in.

The lake at St.Malo does not allow gas powered boats. Only electric/wind or human powered, so it's quite.

The town of St.Malo is just on the other side of the hiway, so a two minute drive from the sites. There are two Grocery/General stores in town, so if you forget a few things, don't worry. There is also a laundry mat and a bar/vendor if anyone wants to pick up some frosty ales. Almost everyone in town takes Credit card and interact/debit.

Firewood can be bought at the campground for $6 a bundle of 4 bundles for $20. It is cash only and is right beside the campground check in office. Firewood can also be bought in town from the local residents selling it from their driveways. Usually $5 a bundle.

The campground has two beaches, The beach by the rally site(east beach) is less desirable. It is rocky and gets deep fast. The other beach (west beach) has better sand is much longer and doesn't get deep as fast. The west beach can be seen from the east beach and is only a short walk.

At the end of the west beach you can rent a few different 2 seater peddle boats for $15 an hour to tour the lake.

By the west beach is an ice Cream parlor called Holy Cow. They serve soft and hard ice cream as well as other cold treats, beverages and burgers n fries. It's a bit pricey, but the Oreo Cookie Sundae is amazing!! 6 oreo cookies, ice creame, whip cream and a few cherries. Best shared with two people!

For those of you with kids, St.Malo is the place for you. Along with the two beaches, there are a lot of bike trails and several newly updated play ground structures located at both beaches.

There are fish in the lake, but fishing is not the greatest. There are a lot of reeds along the shorelines, so shore fishing is not all that good. If you had a canoe or a little boat, then jigging a little bit out is your best bet.

There are a few groomed walking trails through the forest.

On the south west corner of the campground is the dam/spill way. It is very scenic at the bottom as the water runs down the spillway. Photo Op

There is a par 3 golf course just east outside of the park.

There are 3 shower stations in the park, one is located by the rally and the other two are located in the 1-10 bays area.

There are several water running washrooms scattered in the park, including one near the rally as well as a few out houses.

One of the only negative things about the park is the poison ivy. Where the rally is being held is the open area of the campground, so none is around, but right at the bush line, it's everywhere. If you dont go bush crashing in shorts, you'll be fine.

Hope this helps a few out.

See ya there!
Jayson Wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:25 AM   #78

Registry
Thumbs up

Thanks for the update Jayson. Very well put together.

Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayson Wall View Post
I usually spend up to 2 weeks each camping season at St.Malo over the past few years. In fact I just did a 2 week stint there and just got back.

For those of you unfamiliar with the area, I will try to fill you in.

The lake at St.Malo does not allow gas powered boats. Only electric/wind or human powered, so it's quite.

The town of St.Malo is just on the other side of the hiway, so a two minute drive from the sites. There are two Grocery/General stores in town, so if you forget a few things, don't worry. There is also a laundry mat and a bar/vendor if anyone wants to pick up some frosty ales. Almost everyone in town takes Credit card and interact/debit.

Firewood can be bought at the campground for $6 a bundle of 4 bundles for $20. It is cash only and is right beside the campground check in office. Firewood can also be bought in town from the local residents selling it from their driveways. Usually $5 a bundle.

The campground has two beaches, The beach by the rally site(east beach) is less desirable. It is rocky and gets deep fast. The other beach (west beach) has better sand is much longer and doesn't get deep as fast. The west beach can be seen from the east beach and is only a short walk.

At the end of the west beach you can rent a few different 2 seater peddle boats for $15 an hour to tour the lake.

By the west beach is an ice Cream parlor called Holy Cow. They serve soft and hard ice cream as well as other cold treats, beverages and burgers n fries. It's a bit pricey, but the Oreo Cookie Sundae is amazing!! 6 oreo cookies, ice creame, whip cream and a few cherries. Best shared with two people!

For those of you with kids, St.Malo is the place for you. Along with the two beaches, there are a lot of bike trails and several newly updated play ground structures located at both beaches.

There are fish in the lake, but fishing is not the greatest. There are a lot of reeds along the shorelines, so shore fishing is not all that good. If you had a canoe or a little boat, then jigging a little bit out is your best bet.

There are a few groomed walking trails through the forest.

On the south west corner of the campground is the dam/spill way. It is very scenic at the bottom as the water runs down the spillway. Photo Op

There is a par 3 golf course just east outside of the park.

There are 3 shower stations in the park, one is located by the rally and the other two are located in the 1-10 bays area.

There are several water running washrooms scattered in the park, including one near the rally as well as a few out houses.

One of the only negative things about the park is the poison ivy. Where the rally is being held is the open area of the campground, so none is around, but right at the bush line, it's everywhere. If you dont go bush crashing in shorts, you'll be fine.

Hope this helps a few out.

See ya there!
Old 08-16-2011, 03:58 PM   #79

Registry
Thank you

Jayson that was some great information, thank you for the detailed report. See you on Friday!
Old 08-16-2011, 05:22 PM   #80

Registry
Questions?

Any last minute questions or concerns? Please feel free to send a Private Message to Rick or myself. Or email me at rolh@live.ca

Hope to see everyone at the Meet & Greet this Friday!

Tags
rally