Canadian Maritimes - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2002, 06:09 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Canadian Maritimes

I read that several of you have been to Nova Scotia.

I'd like to hear tales of other parts of the Canadian Maritimes ... because I'd like to go there after I get my trailer.

Thanks

Ruth

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 08:55 PM   #2

The Maritimes are only there to enjoy on your way to Newfoundland! Nicest folks I have ever met; make the regular Canadians (who are pretty nice) seem like they are from New York City. Read Proulx's "Shipping News" and Mowat's "The Boat Who Wouldn't Float" before you go.

Cape Breton Island NS is really nice (but nothing like NF!).

Pete and Rats

Old 10-01-2002, 09:58 PM   #3

Newfoundland!

Yes, by all means check out Newfoundland. Best place to be - other than right here on the west coast of Canada! :laugh :laugh :laugh

Old 10-02-2002, 09:26 AM   #4

Hi Ruth!

We spend a lot of time up in the Maritimes ... primilarily in Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island.

My father's side of the family long ago were "capers" from Cape Breton Island, NS. My mother's family first landed and farmed (spudpickers) on PIE, near Sauris.

While it's been generations since any family has lived there, it's really neat that we get to camp so close to our "roots."

The point on PIE where they farmed is still called by the family name. A neat Provincial campground (called Red Point) is a couple of miles away.

Also, we love Saint John, New Brunswick ... and always stop there going to and fro ... there's a beautiful botanical park, complete with campground, overlooking the city.

Because of our roots ... and because we always travel with dogs, we haven't taken the ferry to Newfoundland.

Noticed we have some Newfies registered ... I'm sure they'll fill us all in on NF.

Old 10-02-2002, 02:46 PM   #5

Travels in Atlantic Canada

:wave

Old 10-02-2002, 03:08 PM   #6

Travels in Atlantic Canada cont.

:wave I obviously goofed with my first posting, but I'll get the hang of it. It is marvelous to read all the lovely comments about Newfoundland, where I am. It is quite different from any other part of North America, like a rugged Ireland, less "cultivated" to be sure, but with people who think that when folks drop in on them, their visitors do them the greatest honour. The two national parks, Terra Nova (about 250 km. west of St. John's) and Gros Marne, on the Northern Peninsula (nearer to the West coast of the province are splendid, especially Gros Marne. Then in St. John's there is a very convenient, excellent facility, Pippy Park, with lots of camp sites. Newfoundland Tourism provides an excellent guide to facilities here.

I travel in the other Atlantic provinces too. Nova Scotia is much more 'civilized' then Newfoundland, with fields and rolling hills, not the stark untouched beauty of the Newfoundland landscape. Prince Edward Island is the 'post card' province, small and cozy. But the most unheralded province, with splendid scenery and very friendly people in a completely honest way must be New Brunswick. I haven't camped there, but have visited often when my son was stationed there with the Canadian Forces. He lives in Nova Scotia now, but next to Newfoundland, he thinks New Brunswick is a sportsman's paradise.

So much for my impressions. I expect to see all these provinces myself in a new way this coming summer now that a Trillium 'Jubilee' is sitting in my driveway.

(Mrs.) Floy Doull -- hard to tell gender by my name!

Old 10-02-2002, 03:20 PM   #7

Atlantic Canada

:sunny Floy Doull, thanks for broadening my horizons! Where you live sounds absolutely fabulous... Do let us know how it looks from the Trillium!

Mary Foster

Old 10-02-2002, 06:05 PM   #8

Thank you so much

Thank you all so much!

Floy, I know you think of Newfoundland as just your home, but I'm putting it high on my wish list of places to visit.

I am so excited about finding this new website and so many people willing to share information.

I also noticed some members are from British Columbia and Alaska.

For now, I can only dream of all the places I'm going to visit in my cute little fiberglass trailer (when I get one!).

I'd like to hear more!

Old 10-04-2002, 01:04 PM   #9

Floy

Floy ... I hear that Sydney ferry calling us! I think it's great to have a Newfoundland connection on this board!

Old 10-11-2002, 09:37 AM   #10

Thanks, Pete!

Per your suggestion, am reading "The Boat Who Wouldn't Float". The book is completely charming and a true invitation to visit that part of the world. Thanks for the heads up.....

Kim

Old 10-18-2002, 09:56 PM   #11

Visited Halifax, N.S. and Saint John, N.B. not too long ago.

Halifax; A city filled with a sense of history, beauty, trajedy and heroics. The seat of power for a new nation; its Titanic connection; the Halifax explosion of 1917; the beginning of a great railroad; a point of assembly for the convoys of WW I and II.

Saint John; so much history; an interesting blend of old, new and that which is somewhere in between. Found folks there who are still upset about the outcome of the American Revolution. :o
For someone who grew up in Oklahoma (statehood - 1906), that was kinda difficult to understand.

Would need years to take it all in. Sure would like to get started before long;
lets see, :chin 24 days till we get our 5th wheel Scamp . . .

Old 10-20-2002, 08:39 AM   #12

Saint John's

Bill, one of our stops on the way to Nova Scotia each time is Saint Johns, New Brunwick. Sometimes we stop both coming and going to NS!

Pam loads up on smoked salmon at the year-round farmers market ... which is one of the oldest continuous farmers markets in North America ... it opened in 1876. The building was built by shipbuilders, so the roof is constructed like an upside down ocean-going ship.

Old 10-20-2002, 07:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Orginally posted by Charles Watts

Bill, one of our stops on the way to Nova Scotia each time is Saint Johns, New Brunwick. Sometimes we stop both coming and going to NS!

Pam loads up on smoked salmon at the year-round farmers market ... which is one of the oldest continuous farmers markets in North America ... it opened in 1876. The building was built by shipbuilders, so the roof is constructed like an upside down ocean-going ship.
Yup; we strolled thru there; think thats where we got some chocolate moose poop as a souvenir for a friend.

Very interesting double decker gazebo nearby, as I recall.