Canceled! 0st annual pathetic lost and forlorn Turkey Day Campout - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Rallies, Get-togethers, Molded Meets (Archive)
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-05-2008, 09:35 PM   #1

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
please see This thread for complete campground description and atmosphere.

I will be sponsoring a "misplaced" single and couples camp out for thanksgiving dinner in the great outdoors this year. Anyone, single, couple or displaced family are welcome and encouraged, glass or sticky. Tents are welcome too, but not recommended as they are not allowed in the full hook up sites, with the possible exception of RV suppliments (I think.. check with park for the rules.) This is not a fair weather campground, and it is even possible there will be a dusting of snow at that time of year. The elevation does not lend itself for a big dump, but no guarantees. We will not turn our nose up at stickies.. all are welcome.

The agenda is loose, we will have traditional fixins, Turkey, dressing, taters and stuffing, pumpkin pie and all the things Grandma would have served.

Each participant is encouraged to bring and prepare something traditional within their families. An example for me is that I grew up in a classic Italian family, and no doubt I will contribute polenta and sauce, or butter and garlic for those that prefer. There are no limits! The turkey an be made traditionally in ovens, or if someone wishes to donate a large outdoor BBQ to do the bird, please bring it!

I probably will be getting a certificate for the bird through my employer, unless they cut that perk back this year, so I am pretty sure I can supply at least one.

Hopefully, the dinner will be eaten outside on picnic tables. Bugs are not an issue here, as the wind is always a slight pleasant breeze, but it can pick up and get a bit chilly. You don't need full winter survival gear, but dressing warmly will make the meal more pleasant.

Those a bit more crafty, or cooking challenged can bring table decor, Paper Turkeys, candles and center pieces, squash, table cloths and what ever you think may be fun.

With full hook ups, nukers can be used and we can get as many "real" pots and pans used without fear of difficult clean up. The boys can help with stocking a big fire in the closely placed fire rings.

There is a full sized horseshoe set up in the center of each loop, full flush bathrooms They are Old, but clean, showers and all the amenities we usually get from full hook up loops.

I will be arriving on weds the 26th. The park people say ressies are hardly necessary, the park is usually empty at Thankgiving, but you can call and reserve anyway.

I will be taking space # 6.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 09:59 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Great idea, Gina, and we know all who attend will have a blast (AND full tummies)! We'll keep our fingers crossed for decent weather. Fun for all, L 'n D
Old 11-05-2008, 10:12 PM   #3

Registry
Mojave River Forks is a little known San Bernardino County park and is fairly isolated from all civilization. Th closest "Big" city is Hesparia, where all supplies can be had in classic city style. It is located about 15 miles away when searching for groceries etc. There is a small country store in Summit valley, but it is pretty typical of a small country store.. bear, ciggies and overpriced basics. Gas is also available at a way overly priced pump.

The county will require proof of current auto and trailer reg, and insurance for both. Dogs are welcome, at 1 buck each per day. As usual, leash laws apply.

To get to the park:

If you have a hefty tow rig, you may approach from hiway 138, just off the 15. The road directly up from the 15 is very windy, and can be steep at times. I have towed this stretch with smaller trailers, but will not with my current set up. If coming from "down the hill" and your rig is not up to this, approaching from the Hesparia side is the best route.

the GPS co-ordinants to the park are: 34°19'46.44"N, 117°15'55.82"W

Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenHunter_01_Nov._05_20.05.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	16665
Attached Thumbnails
ScreenHunter_02_Nov._05_20.10.jpg  
Old 11-05-2008, 10:21 PM   #4

Registry
If you feel you can manage the direct route, exit the 15 freeway on the cajon pass on hiway 138 toward Silverwood Lake.
Turn Left on hiway 173, there will be a "regional Park" sign.
Follow the 173 for 6 or so miles, park will be on the right.

If approaching from Hesparia, follow the map posted above, Exit the 15 on Main street,go southeast and follow the map. You will go through downtown Hesparia, but this leads you directly to the park if you make no turns off the road.
When you reach a "T" after (guessing here) 15 miles, go right. The park will be on your left after about a mile. Do not go into Hesparia Lakes campground. Continue as shown on the map.

Lake Silverwood is just down the road, where fishing and motor boat rental is available, both for a fee. Hiking is all around, with the PCT skirting the north side of the lake.

If "dirt eating" is your thing, there are many Jeep Trails and OHV routes very close by.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:27 PM   #5

Registry
Stealing an idea from Liz and her friends, on Friday, we can have a "soup"potluck. Get creative with Turkey left overs, or bring and make your specialty soup for all to sample. This was a very fun and tasty activity when we did it.

Please sign up below, and give any other suggestions and volunteer shared food items and tell us what you can cook to contribute!

I suggest we cluster in the Mojave loop, the smaller round one. It is always the lonely loop due to it's lack of any trees, but it has the best sky and mountain views!

The sites are large and there is enough room to unhitch and park your car in the supplied side parking space next to your rig. Some leveling will be required, but it's not hard or overly off kilter. Awning deployment will depend on the wind, but they are hardly necessary this time of year.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:05 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Trailer: 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
There is a small country store in Summit valley, but it is pretty typical of a small country store.. bear, ciggies and overpriced basics.

Sounds like a rough neighborhood.
brian m. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 09:04 AM   #7

Registry
thars bears too!!!!
Old 11-07-2008, 09:47 AM   #8

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
I think we are going to try to come. I will get Eric to make a final decision when he gets home from Mammoth Monday. D & A are pondering it ...A wants to come but D is pouting about no fishing.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:36 PM   #9

Registry
I understand there is fishing in Deep Creek, trout, but I don't know how good the fishing is or how accessible it is.

There is always "My Lake", Lake Gregory, and lytle creek is in the area. It isn't the golden trout wilderness, but its fishing.

Where we came out from taking the dirt road from Lytle Creek is where you go UP to MRF, if you feel up to the windy road.

I am going to invite my across the street neighbor. He is single and his kids will be with mom for the holiday.. he just bought and is having fun fixing up a little teardrop.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:00 PM   #10

Trailer: 2009 Escape ('Suite Escape')
Registry
Sounds like fun! I understand there ia an annual rv gathering over Thanksgiving at Casini Ranch, which is on the Russian River, inland from Jenner in Northern California! However, it is primarily "Stickies".
Peace and Sunshine
Sandra
Sandra L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 10:14 PM   #11

Trailer: 1998 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / Red F150 X-Cab
This will be my second year going to a Thanksgiving gathering of stickies near San Luis Obispo. Last year I sold off my site on the day of arrival and shared a site with a friend and their motorhome and so halved the campsite fee for both of us. I don't know if I'll have my own site or share, depends on what they come up with for me. I can't leave until after school on Wednesday, whereas most everyone else can go on Tues or Wed morning, so I'll get whatever they were able to reserve for me (most of the campground is first-come-first-serve). If I end up sharing a site, not a biggee--it means more money in my pocket for the day after Thanksgiving sales at the SLO stores with the other ladies! Camping and shopping--what a combination!

Quote:
Sounds like fun! I understand there ia an annual rv gathering over Thanksgiving at Casini Ranch, which is on the Russian River, inland from Jenner in Northern California! However, it is primarily "Stickies".
Peace and Sunshine
Sandra
Lisa M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 01:45 PM   #12

Registry
Sorry to any folks that might have been considering this, but the rally is "Cancelled" due to a number of things.

Doesn't mean you can't go.. I just won't be there LOL!

We can do a Winter Warm Up a bit later in the year for a weekend. This place is close enough for most all of So, Cal to join in when there are not so many obligations for holidays etc.