Capers and Spudpickers - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-15-2002, 09:08 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Capers and Spudpickers

I really enjoy camping my Roots.

No, I'm not really into geneology ... but fortunately, I can trace (thanks to family records) back to where my ancestors first landed on the North American continent.

Now, I'm not into communicating with the spirit world (well, at least not to a degree I'm admitting) ... but I really feel called back to that region ... and that's the Canadian Maritimes.

My mother's side of the family can be traced back to Prince Edward Island. The family farm was on a point of land on the northeast tip of PEI that still bears the family name on Prince Edward Island maps (Beaton Point ... my middle name is Beaton, as is my son's.). And mailing addresses for homes along Rt. 138 are on Beaton Rd.

Lucky for me, there's a quiet little provincial campground nearby, called Red Point, where Pam and I go each time we visit. As we walk the beach that bordered the old farm, I can't help but be flooded with thoughts about how hard it must of been back then.

(If you go to Prince Edward ... don't make the common mistake of running straight to Anne of Green Gables land ... PEI is shaped like a butterfly ... the real beauty is out on each tip of each wing).

My father's side of the family were Capers ... from Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia. They first lived on Watts Road, just south of Mabou ... Watts Road still exists and we go past ... and occasionally down ... as we wind our way along the west side of Cape Breton.

Interestingly enough, Mabou is one of those places where the residents fiercely protect their Gaelic roots ... and much of the music on the radio is Gaelic (even in the non-tourist season).

It doesn't take much imagination how tough life must have been back then.

The area is so isolated, and so rugged and the people so independent , that even today, school district borders are by language in addition to geography.

There's even a Gaelic College ... where courses are taught in gaelic.

It really means a lot to me to be able to go back and touch the land where my ancesters first came to North America.

Unfortunately, Pam's family didn't keep records ... and we can't trace back more than a couple of generations. And, as I say, I'm not really into geneology.

But if you are of a mind ... and can trace your family tree back to the shoreline it first arrived ... go camping there.

I guarantee you will feel something tangible.

Old 11-15-2002, 10:06 AM   #2

Roots camping

Well, I am into my family genealogy, and my ancestors spent a good deal of the 18th century as pioneers in western and southwestern Virginia. I was lucky enough to travel to that (incredibly beautiful) area a few years ago (but not lucky enough to have our Casita in tow), and it was as you describe - for some strange reason, very interesting to try and imagine what it was like for my gggg-grandparents to rear their family there.

I would love to go back again (and I plan to!) and camp along the Blue Ridge of Virginia. Someday!
:sunny

Old 11-15-2002, 10:59 AM   #3

roots

Been there, NYC/Virgina/DC
too crowded.
It was Ok in the winter when everyone stayed in doors, but summer came. The people were swarming everywhere. I got to have room to breathe.
Old 11-15-2002, 11:11 AM   #4

Ah but

Ah but, Jana ... there is still a mystical connection to one's roots ... and I'm sure Mary would enjoy camping there, no matter what.

And it doesn't surprize me that Mary, a kindred spirit of mine, felt the "tug" of the connection too

So where are every body else's roots?

And have you camped there?
Old 11-15-2002, 11:18 AM   #5

Ah, Jana - the parts of Virginia I'm thinking of weren't crowded at all (okay, we never did make it up to the Blue Ridge - one reason I want to go back!) I was near Wytheville, Blacksburg, and the Natural Bridge (lots of people there that day, so we didn't stay long). Lunched at a wonderful little cafe in Lexington, Va.

Anyway, one thing that amazed me about southwestern Virginia was how uncrowded it was. They didn't even have parking meters in downtown Wytheville! It really wasn't hard to imagine old Andrew Boyd and William Foster, farming some of those hills! (A. Boyd's house still stands, and he died in 1820!)

Yes, I'll be going there again....
Old 11-15-2002, 02:08 PM   #6

Virgina

Yeah, that's where my girl is right now. Lexington VA. she loves it, but my roots are more manhattan. long Island. the crowed areas. I did think about what once was though. :splat The saying around here is "Wonder it those Long Islanders know their lease is about up. Surely they don't think we sold it to them for those trinkets." (Indian Joke)
Old 11-15-2002, 02:19 PM   #7

Jana

Jana ... since the lease on Long Island is up, y'all could go camping there, right? Not a whole lots of grass and trees left ... but there's bound to be a spot for a couple of trailers.

I'll go with you!
Old 11-15-2002, 02:31 PM   #8

islands

At one time we thought we could get part of Governers Island. You know, It had/has a base on it they were closing. Tribes get dibs if it was their original home land. had a golf course and everything. we could have camped there. but it either fell thorough or they are moving really slow.
Old 11-23-2002, 04:44 PM   #9

Ancestors

:wave Hi! Just read this thread. I've done a bit of geneology (sp?)research and traced the French branch back to 1626 when they arrived in Maryland. The Danish branch arrived 1892 to Portland, ME. Haven't yet found the American arrival of the English branch. Got him to 1858 when he married here (MD). This is all on the maternal side. The Irish and Swiss branches (paternal side) arrived in the 1800s and settled in NY. So, I've camped in VA, MD and PA (mother was born there). But no camping yet in NY (father, me and siblings born in Syracuse). However, retirement is in about 5 months and everywhere is on the list! :party
Old 11-24-2002, 07:53 AM   #10

Hi Ginny

Hi Ginny!

Have faith! That five months will fly by :drillsrgt And I know you're anxious to hit the road! Where are you headed first?
Old 11-24-2002, 08:18 AM   #11

Planned trips

:wave Hi Charles,

I haven't decided my first trip yet. It's a toss up between attending the Aliner rally in Cherokee, NC or the Spring Samboree in Williamsburg. I'm sort of leaning toward the Aliner group as they are my first rv friends (had an Aliner before my Casita). My second planned trip is the Great North American RV Rally in Louisville, KY. I'm going down with my Good Sam chapter. Later that same week, I'm heading over to Lexington to join the other fiberglass rvers. Then it's back to DC for the Independence day holiday (and to complete outprocessing actions with the Air Force). Then I'm off to Northern MS to visit friends and get the van's bodywork done (I can't seem to get the hang of how wide this van is). I've got to be in Tampa in August for a nephew's wedding, then I'm off to CA to visit family and friends. Back to MS for Thanksgiving and then to Ft Wilderness Campground at WDW. Christmas at my brother's in the FL panhandle and then maybe the RV Service Academy in Jan 04 for 10 weeks to learn to service rv systems.

As you can see I've been busy planning. However, there are lots of time where I'll just go where the wind blows (or the other direction). The first year or two will be the busiest. :banana
Old 11-25-2002, 07:31 AM   #12

Ginny's Planned Trips

Boy, am I tired, just reading of Ginny's planned trips, after retirement, make me want to go back to bed. Ginny must be a llllllllot younger than Darline. You go girl, sounds like fun.
Darline:wave :wave
Old 11-30-2002, 10:55 AM   #13

Primarily Root Digging

Genealogy is the main reason I travel.

My familes are from the Southeast, including Virginia, North and South Carolina, Florida, and Mississippi. None of the Florida families are from the area where I live and there are few research facilities nearby. Therefore, if I want to do research, I have to travel. Good thing I enjoy going.

Last year included a 17 day trip for research in the Carolinas and a couple of weekend research trips to the Tampa/St Pete area. This year has all been weekend trips to reunions and genealogy conferences. Attending a family reunion or conference can overload my people skills. At that time it's really nice to retreat to Doodle for a period of peace and quiet. Before long, I'm ready to go again.

I've stayed on family farms and in state and county parks in the areas my families settled. Cane Creek Park, south of Waxhaw, NC, http://www.co.union.nc.us/gov_offices/parks/parks.htm was extremely peaceful and a good location for research in Charlotte and Union County. For research at the South Carolina archives, Sesquicentennial State Park http://www.columbiasouthcarolina.com/parks-state.html outside Columbia was perfect.

Four years and counting to retirement! Then the trips will be six weeks or more at a time. My favorite fellow has no interest in genealogy or travel. Good thing he doesn't mind my wanderlust.
Old 11-30-2002, 11:04 AM   #14

Hi Debi!

Hi Debi! Welcome to fiberglass rv!

Hey, my sister lives in North Carolina. I'll remember your tips!

Also, any chance of digging into your fellow's roots? Of course, I'd be lying if I didn't tell you how many times I sat and contemplated life while my wife, Pam, went off in pursuit of something.

>>six week trips

Those are our favorite length trips at this point. It takes a couple of weeks to unwind and get in the groove so you can enjoy the next 4 weeks camping.