Eggstravaganza! Okanagan Valley Rally 2008 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Rallies, Get-togethers, Molded Meets (Archive)
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-18-2007, 01:31 PM   #1

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft 1976
I would love to have a Okanagan Valley Rally of glass eggers. Could be a wine tasting/touring theme and there certainly is alot of great campsites on large lakes and rivers throughout the valley.

This summer I went to a music festival nearly every weekend which was fantastic and definately will do that again next year. That is another possibility but musical tastes will vary.

I have never organized such an endevour and would like some help if anyone is interested. Kamloops, Salmon Arm, Sorrento, Chase, Enderby, Vernon, Oyama, Lake Country, Fintry, Kelowna, Penticton, Summerland, Caledon, Osooyos (close to US border crossing) . Driving times between them are short and not alot of hills. Late Spring, summer (hot hot hot) or early Sept would be great! I travel with a 4 year old and a Cavalier Spaniel so family and pooch friendly sites on the water would be my preference! Can leave mutt home if I had too.
Would love to actually meet some of you in person and share your ideas and joie de vive!
Janet
Janet G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 01:34 PM   #2

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
If it were summer I would sure be interested. (before mid-August.)
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 06:43 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
IJanet:

I would like to attend somewhere in the North Okanagan/Kamloops area, as I have a 3 hour drive to Kamloops for starts. I will have my 2008 Bigfoot, but I have experience with older glass trailers as well.

Rick B
Rick B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 06:48 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I think it would be a great idea.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:22 PM   #5

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
How about over the 4th of July weekend? I need to get out of the States then to avoid fireworks. Or is it just too hot then? I've only been there once, in early July, and don't really remember much about it.

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 05:27 PM   #6

Quote:
How about over the 4th of July weekend? I need to get out of the States then to avoid fireworks. Or is it just too hot then? I've only been there once, in early July, and don't really remember much about it.

Bobbie
Yes July can be very very hot. At times when i camped over the summer you needed other places to go to escape ( unhook and take off) the heat after being in it all day. the lake is great and that is why i thought the wine touring would be a good addition
Old 09-30-2007, 08:30 PM   #7

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Janet,

I love the idea! I am a true Pentictonite - born & raised there for 18 years. I then went to college in Kamloops for two years. For the past 16 years, Edmonton has been home. I would love an exuse (as if one is needed) to head out to the Okanagan, as it will always be home for me.

I play in 3 jazz bands, so tying it to anything music related would be cool too. We just bought a Yorkie/Havonese puppy, so pet-fridendly sites would be a plus too. Tying it to the wineries is also a great idea. The possbilites seem endless.

I can't say as I can offer many camping ideas for the Okangan, as I've only recently become a Boler owner(& camper) for the past five years living in Alberta. Let me know if I can be of any help otherwise. I have heard that campgrounds are being bought up out there more & more for condo development, but I'm sure there are ones to be found still.

Good luck, & keep us posted.

Andrew
Edmonton, AB
Andrew D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 04:40 PM   #8

Trailer: Beachcomber
well this does sound interesting..I would be interested in a interior camping trip. Any time is good for me.

Sorrento is a nice area. (just a suggestion) not sure of camp sites exactly...but the travel B.C. mags. have a ton of info in them.
Edmills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 02:16 PM   #9

Trailer: Trillium
Quote:
well this does sound interesting..I would be interested in a interior camping trip. Any time is good for me.

Sorrento is a nice area. (just a suggestion) not sure of camp sites exactly...but the travel B.C. mags. have a ton of info in them.
Sorrento Centre (run by the Anglican church) is probably your only hope right in Sorrento. Not sure what they have there as far as open to the public camping.
Most of the lakefront campgrounds are being converted to million dollar condos around Shuswap Lake (Sorrento, etc) - the 3 best private ones gone this year. There is the Provincial Park at Scotch Creek or Herald Park, or privately owned Pierre's Point or Sandy Point campgrounds between Salmon Arm and Sorrento. They fill up pretty fast so not sure if they can be booked now. Provincial Parks don't take reservations til early Spring.
Naramata, just outside of Penticton is nice - lots of wineries around there. Naramata Centre is run by the United Church and it has a campground. No 'churchy' stuff involved if you want to stay there, but I think they are booked up alot with their own events in the summer. I think there are a few private ones in Naramata too? Kaleden has a nice spot right on the water, Banbury Green I think it's called, but the road down to it is a bit of a nail biter I hear?
Of course if you want to swim, it will have to be July/August, but sometimes the first week of Sept the lakes are still warm enough.
For music lovers, there's the Roots and Blues festival in Salmon Arm in August, but book accomodation really early as it's a very popular event.
I can think on it and come up with some other ideas if you like. It's getting really tough in the Shuswap Okanagan, I was in Kelowna the other day and even the family type motels are now being torn down for high end apts now!
jojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 12:57 PM   #10

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
I sure hope Janet hasn't left us hangin out to dry with this event. I'd love to come and could even persuade some of my fellow 'car buddys that tow' to attend as well....
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 12:59 PM   #11

Registry
and further to this.....why not come to our event down here in the lower mainland in May, this might get some more of us to come there in June or July even August, LOL!!!!!
Old 11-11-2007, 12:35 PM   #12

Quote:
I sure hope Janet hasn't left us hangin out to dry with this event. I'd love to come and could even persuade some of my fellow 'car buddys that tow' to attend as well....
My intention of the question was to see if the "idea" of such a Rally would be of interest and it seems that there is. Wonderful!!

One of nicest lakefront private (and historic) campsites I went to this summer was Banbury Green in Caledon, BC ( 4KM's south of Penticton). Yes nailbiter turnoff!! Safest (with trailer) approach is coming from Penticton. Always a fruitstand or two for turning around if it is missed! The South campground in my opinion is best as the wind seems to blows down Skaha Lake from north to south so this site is more protected. Old railway beds for biking, rental canoes, Pets kids okay. Wineries close by everywhere! Okay so now that I have you all excited I will enquire and get back to the group. They are usually heavily booked but perhaps in June or Sept we could be in luck.

http://www.banburygreen.com/gallery.html

Old 11-11-2007, 02:33 PM   #13

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
Janet G: I live in the area, and became an owner of a fiberglass trailer last week. I have never been to a rally but it intrigues me. I have no idea what goes on, what is involved. With a rally in my backyard I would be interested.
I work Sunday mornings so I could commute for this experience.

I wonder if others have or could create a manual" how to host a rally".
Kent I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 04:16 PM   #14

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
I wonder if others have or could create a manual" how to host a rally".
[b]"Create it and they will come."
Pick a date, pick a place, tell everyone who owns a molded lightweight fiberglass trailer about it, post the information on the four fiberglass forums. Remember, you don't have to "do" anything. Meets are more about the people and enjoying one anothers company than it is about anything else. Put on a pot luck... or, not. Make name tags.. or, not... or have the participants make and bring their own. Etc., etc., etc.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 04:58 PM   #15

Registry
AS USUAL, ..........Donna is right!!
Pick a...
Pick a...
Pick a...
I think Donna REALLY needs to come up to at least one of our meets to get some good 'ol Canadian Air in her lungs.
I'll bet IF you picked a date that would coinside with the Blossom Run or other Hot-Rod Run in that area, she MIGHT be more interested in attending

Find a good campsight that would be 'willing' to host say 10/15 SMALL (be sure to stress the size to the park manager) fiberglass trailers for a weekend or better yet a long weekend (not necessarily a holiday weekend) so as to make it more appealing to people (like myself) who have to travel a bit to get there. Full service sites are always nice, but at least ones with Water and Alec Tricity. I don't think too many of us have A/C to worry about higher power rated sites. Here is a lonk thingy to where we hold our meets in the Lower Mainland: http://www.fortcamping.com This is a link to the site, I hope!!!
Old 11-11-2007, 05:03 PM   #16

Registry
........ Donna, where'd I go wrong here ???

I keep getting an error message when I click on to the link
Old 11-13-2007, 07:02 PM   #17

Registry
http://www.fortcamping.com

..........whszzup? works O.K now
Old 12-02-2007, 02:36 PM   #18

have a look at the links and let me know

http://www.peachcitybeachcruise.com/
June 20,21,22 2008

http://www.peachfest.com/

August 6-10th

will make picking the campground dates at Banbury Green easier.

Janet
Old 12-02-2007, 10:38 PM   #19

Registry
I'd hate to come all the way there for a Glass Egg meet at the same time as a rod run!!! Might be wise to pick another weekend, LOL!!!
Old 01-01-2008, 07:13 PM   #20
Commercial Member

Trailer: Escape Manufacturer
Hi Janet

Tammy and I are always looking for an excuse to get out of town! We quite often get away to the interior for a weekend getaway and meeting up for a rally would be great.

Keep us up to date....

Reace
Reace is offline   Reply With Quote