Fundamentalist? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2010, 08:44 PM   #1

Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact Jr
Have been asked this question by a friend.

Would a different style of trailer be snubbed from a FG gathering? If a teardrop. home-built woodie or converted cargo trailer shows up; how do you feel?

Are the rules so rigid that the type of trailer would over-ride friendship and enjoying fun times?

Is the group too tight to allow diversion?
Dave Bese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:13 PM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Diversion... I think you mean "deviation"? I don't know, maybe various gatherings will have differing thoughts, but I think probably we are all happy to make new acquantances and meet nice people regardless of their trailer construction. Most gatherings are in campgrounds where FGers are not the only ones camping out, and I can't imagine most of us walking past stickbuilt trailers with our noses in the air. Sure our trailers are better than theirs, but we are not better than them. The more the merrier at a party, right? If a FG get-together were for eggs only, I think the organizers would state that up front and take steps to have it at a, um, more exclusive type location... someplace not open to the camping public. That's my impression, anyway.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 01:36 AM   #3

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Deluxe ('The White House')
Agree with Michael -

I think many are fiberglass and friends. We were in Quartzsite and the Wine-ista for the event had a red and white aluminimum vintage Cardinal trailer. There were probably half a dozen NON fiberglass friends.

Besides... we all want to LOOK at the inside of a teardrop too!!!
Weinel, Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 09:23 AM   #4

Trailer: 1971 Astro (ie. Campster/Hunter I)
Send a message via MSN to Harry Young Send a message via Yahoo to Harry Young
Hi Alan

While a gathering maybe a special endeavor orchestrated by a coordinator or group so there is logic to the point that fiberglass is for fiberglass when asked for, I personally will not go to a fiberglass for ONLY fiberglass gathering...

I personally think the term gathering is the specific intent and we are showing off for the curious too...Expecting the curious to come rv-less is rude to a gathering.

Anyway I am just as curious about teardrops too, these rigs have nifty ideas I want to steal.

Camping is supposed to be hospitable, easy going and gregarious so the issue raised here is seen in that light unless its a very special purpose... When I am invited specifically or with a general invitation I read in advance all the rules. My attendance is always optional to everything.

I would attend a fiberglass show if it were the primary purpose only with no problems if I met the purpose...This is in my mind a very different event than that of a gathering of like minded campers.

A show has the exclusive intent to display a certain thing according to a certain criteria.

My opinion only.

Happy Camping, Safe Trails.

Harry
Harry Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:35 AM   #5

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
At Lake San Antonio Rallies we have had what is affectionately called S-O-Bs - Some Other Brand. Great people and lots of fun. I hope everyone feels we can enjoy Caring & Sharing.
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:43 AM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I was at two FG gatherings this winter in Quartize Arizona. I made lots of new friends and was invited to everything that was going on. I was not in a FG Trailer, and others there also were not in FG Trailers and all were welcome . I saw no problems. Great bunch of people.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:43 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I too would welcome any brand of trailer to any gathering I am helping to facilitate. Besides, some of my best friends are SOBs

One of my pet peeves is calling a gathering, where everyone is purportedly welcome by a particular brand name... such as [brand] Camp. If people truly want to feel welcome, call the gathering some other name. NOG works.... Not Organized Gathering I found out sometime ago, while these "plastic" trailers may bring us together, it truly is about the people.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 02:14 PM   #8

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Deluxe ('The White House')
ummmmm.... I think we are on the same page. I was pointing out that they are "fiberglass and friends".

Quote:
Hi Alan

While a gathering maybe a special endeavor orchestrated by a coordinator or group so there is logic to the point that fiberglass is for fiberglass when asked for, I personally will not go to a fiberglass for ONLY fiberglass gathering...

I personally think the term gathering is the specific intent and we are showing off for the curious too...Expecting the curious to come rv-less is rude to a gathering.

Anyway I am just as curious about teardrops too, these rigs have nifty ideas I want to steal.

Camping is supposed to be hospitable, easy going and gregarious so the issue raised here is seen in that light unless its a very special purpose... When I am invited specifically or with a general invitation I read in advance all the rules. My attendance is always optional to everything.

I would attend a fiberglass show if it were the primary purpose only with no problems if I met the purpose...This is in my mind a very different event than that of a gathering of like minded campers.

A show has the exclusive intent to display a certain thing according to a certain criteria.

My opinion only.

Happy Camping, Safe Trails.

Harry
Weinel, Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 03:21 PM   #9

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Never drug my trailer over to the campfire. Without having it right there it's really hard to know if I'm an FG, stickie, teardrop, Airstream, motorhome, tent, or cabin type. Dragging a teardrop, like a T[at]B, to an event might be a good way to attract attention to yourself, dragging an Airstream might earn you extra privacy, as fewer people are likely to ask for a "trailer tour."
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 09:25 PM   #10

Trailer: 2006 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft
It is my observation that when a group of people get together.. It can get very "clickish" and people can get quite "Catty". . . Like they are the official "Do-gooder" of the group. I have seen that happen everywhere.
Likedale3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 02:26 AM   #11

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Trillium Outback
Registry
Not likely to happen in the fiberglass clan and I think it would quickly be squelched if it started to rear it's head. We are drawn together because of the uniqueness of our trailers and our love of camping. It's ok to have a little pride in you particular brand or your restoration work and I think that is as far most of us go.
1998 K2500 Chevy Silverado 6.5 Turbo Diesel, 4X4, ext cab, short bed
Curtis F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 10:20 AM   #12

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
1. Would a different style of trailer be snubbed [b]from a FG gathering?

2. If a teardrop. home-built woodie or converted cargo trailer shows up; how do you feel?

3. Are the rules so rigid that the type of trailer would over-ride friendship and enjoying fun times?

4. Is the group too tight to allow diversion?
1. snubbed [b]from a FG gathering? no.
My experience is that FiberglassRV member sponsored gatherings are the most inclusive events I have attended.
However, as Likedale3 expresses, I have been told at a gathering that some individuals have snubbed other individuals who were in attendance, due to the snubee's trailer.
I did not witness the infraction.
But I think if you look hard enough you can find that behavior in any situation.

2. I'll show you mine if you show me yours!

3. & 4. Rules? Tight? no.
Friendship here is paramount. However, considering the focus of this website, I can understand the trepidation of the questioner. Our identity is the molded monocoque frameless wall design and construction of our niche vehicles. It is only our beginning, not our be-all or end-all.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:46 AM   #13

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Talking

Actually, I find myself having a feeling of kinship to ANY small trailer. Although we do belong to our local Good Sam club which has members with motor homes, there still is that common expeiance feeling about small rv's in general:

http://www.scottytrailers.com/pdf/serro-scotty-2010.pdf

And of course, TaBs, r-pods, etc.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:51 PM   #14

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I currently drive and live in a motorhome. I no longer have an egg, but still lust after a Bigfoot 17. I have had, and will again have, and currently have "The Spirit".

Tho it is difficult to bring the motorhome to a gathering due to my living in it, I will continue to attend any gatherings I can in nylon sided accommodations. And I won't feel weird about it. No one has ever made me feel unwelcome because of the tent.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 02:12 PM   #15

Trailer: 1970 (Circa) Compact Jr and 1993 Casita
I tried to get our daughter and son-in-law to come to the Kansas Perry Lake Rally. They have a 1940`s canned ham that they have totally redone from the frame up.. It is beautiful. But, they had already made other plans.
I think you can meet many new friends, no matter what they choose to camp in. We visited with people at Lake Perry that had a huge motorhome. Very nice people and they did say they like how quick we got our area set up and how easy it was.
After owning several campers-fiberglass is the only way to go for us.
Mrs. C
Ricky 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 02:35 PM   #16

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
Holy Toledo---I'm ready to learn from ANY body, and I like to look at all types of campers. My favorite tree is the locust tree (just the right amount of shade, but doesn't prohibit grass growth underneath/leaves are easily dealt with), but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy maples, oaks, pine, etc.

I learned alot from Mrs. C (Especially how to pack a cooler efficiently and with less headache and mess.) And that would have been great knowledge even from a canned ham owner! (I love the Shastas with the fins!!)
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 03:05 PM   #17

Trailer: 1970 (Circa) Compact Jr and 1993 Casita
Vickie-have you started repairing your camper and do you have any other rallies scheduled this summer?
Ricky 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:36 PM   #18

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Would a different style of trailer be snubbed from a FG gathering? If a teardrop. home-built woodie or converted cargo trailer shows up; [b]how do you feel?
Cliff was surely welcome at Lake Casitas.
Attached Thumbnails
B45_B43.jpg   B45_Rear.jpg  

B55_B56.jpg