Georgia Spring Rally - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-27-2007, 05:25 PM   #15

Trailer: 2007 Scamp 13 ft / 2005 Jeep Wrangler 6 cyl
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Scallan
Talking

If you all do this thing in April, please let me know...I'll be pulling my new Scamp 13 down form the factory and I'd like to join what will be my first outing. Just e-mail me if possible since I can't always get to a computer other than to check my e mail. Thanks...Bob

LIFE IS GOOD !

Old 02-27-2007, 08:55 PM   #16

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Just e-mail me if possible since I can't always get to a computer other than to check my e mail. Thanks...Bob
Not to mess up this topic, but Bob no one can e-mail you...you've set it to private. If you want to receive e-mails, you'll need to change that in My Controls.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 07:43 PM   #17

Trailer: Cadet 1985 / 2006 Element
Ok, this Saturday (Mar 3) I am going to visit two campgrounds to actually see which is is the best deal. There's a third on my list if the the first 2 don't pan out. Details by Sunday....I promise!
Old 03-01-2007, 07:57 AM   #18

Trailer: 1978 Scamp 13 ft / 2003 Honda Element EX 2wd
Hi all!

I'm new to this forum. I'm going to be back and forth between Ga and FL and will be keeping an interest in a Ga rally for April.

I've been through the Dillard area of the Smokies the past couple weeks and know it's an interesting area to. visit. It's more breathtaking as one gets closer to the N.C. Border. With a lot of mom and pop stores (and a WalMart for the urban campers!) Along old and new US 441.

Another thought. Anyone have any info on Lake Altoona Campgrounds? It's a Army Corps of Engineer facility and is about 20 miles north of Atlanta!

Gary Mic
1978 Scamp 13'
2003 Honda Element EX
Broward County, FL
Old 03-01-2007, 08:42 AM   #19

Quote:
Another thought. Anyone have any info on Lake Altoona Campgrounds? It's a Army Corps of Engineer facility and is about 20 miles north of Atlanta!
Hi, Gary! Good to hear from another Element owner!

Alatoona is one of the places I will look at on Saturday. The others are east and west of Atlanta.

I'm hoping for a dry weekend...we have lots of rain today.
Old 03-01-2007, 04:12 PM   #20

Trailer: Trillium
Don

Glad to hear you are working on the gathering. We are taking our Trillium on her first outing to Dahlonaga Ga this weekend at the Eufalla River Campground, its about an hour and a half north of Atlanta. I will let you know if its a good canidate for the Ga gathering.

Don

Quote:
Hi, Gary! Good to hear from another Element owner!

Alatoona is one of the places I will look at on Saturday. The others are east and west of Atlanta.

I'm hoping for a dry weekend...we have lots of rain today.
Old 03-02-2007, 06:09 PM   #21

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
As a Georga native, I've been at least once to most of the state parks there. Some of them are truly excellent. Amicalola is a nice one. As is Blackrock Mountain State Park.

One state park that many people overlook because it is so isolated (this one is totally out in the middle of a HUGE wilderness) is Stephen C. Foster State Park inside the Okefenokee Swamp. Don't get it confused with the Okefenokee Swamp State Park in Augusta. This one is stunningly beautiful and out in the middle of the swamp. you have to enter from the south and drive for miles and miles through pine barrens and cypress swamps to get to it. Once you're there, though, you'll find one of the most amazing state parks you'll ever see. They have hookups at their campground, as I recall.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:22 PM   #22

Trailer: Casita 17 ft 2004
Oh Bob, I really like the Stephen C. Foster State Park inside the Okefenokee Swamp. I am not one that loves, or even likes the mountains, so it looks like a neat place to me. April would be a great time of the year to camp there.
Old 03-03-2007, 07:28 AM   #23

Quote:
As a Georga native, I've been at least once to most of the state parks there. Some of them are truly excellent. Amicalola is a nice one. As is Blackrock Mountain State Park.

One state park that many people overlook because it is so isolated (this one is totally out in the middle of a HUGE wilderness) is Stephen C. Foster State Park inside the Okefenokee Swamp. Don't get it confused with the Okefenokee Swamp State Park in Augusta. This one is stunningly beautiful and out in the middle of the swamp. you have to enter from the south and drive for miles and miles through pine barrens and cypress swamps to get to it. Once you're there, though, you'll find one of the most amazing state parks you'll ever see. They have hookups at their campground, as I recall.
Sounds like a great place how are the black knats in that area in April? We were camping near there at Skagway Island in April and were constantly bothered by the black knats.

Don
Old 03-03-2007, 08:41 AM   #24

Quote:
We are taking our Trillium on her first outing to Dahlonaga Ga this weekend at the Eufalla River Campground, its about an hour and a half north of Atlanta.
Don
Don,
I think you are going to Etowah River Campground. The other one is in Alabama! I'm heading out the door.
Old 03-03-2007, 07:43 PM   #25

Quote:
Don,
I think you are going to Etowah River Campground. The other one is in Alabama! I'm heading out the door.
I stand corrected it was to be the Ettawa River Campground. But the weather did not cooperate, so we camped at the Holiday Inn instead. We did drive down to the Ettawa river campground and was not impressed. It was a big field and was not very nice.

We also did about 6 miles on the AT approach trail. We went in at Amicclola Falls Welcome Center. We checked out the campground it was nice but I agree with the previous post that it may be a bit small.

I hope your trip to the ATL area was successful. Looking forward to your report.

Don M
Old 03-03-2007, 08:45 PM   #26

Quote:
I stand corrected it was to be the Ettawa River Campground. But the weather did not cooperate, so we camped at the Holiday Inn instead. We did drive down to the Ettawa river campground and was not impressed. It was a big field and was not very nice.

Don M
Don and fellow campers: I am back from my around-Georgia journey (say that 5 times), and have a less than satisfactory report. Feeling adventurous, I, too, went to the campground on the Etowah River. I was there about 1:00pm, had a nice chat with the owner (he's English and his wife is Scottish). But, the facilities, as Don reports, are inadequate for our needs. The shower room was clean, though. The wind was whipping through there and it was pretty chilly. It is next to Amnicola Falls State Park, and that is the only positive.

Second place I tried to find was north of Atlanta off of US-19, Two Lakes Campgroud, or Twin Lakes, I forget. But there was so much road construction and surburbanization I could not find the signs for the campground. The road was being widened from two lanes and the traffic was backed up both directions. No go on this one.

Then, I went to Pine Mountain Campground in Pine Mountain, Ga. This is a good one and they can accommodate us in April, but the big boys will be there as well with their mammoth RVs and the activity room where we would want to hold the potluck is already booked on weekends of April 14, 21, and 28. There is a covered picnic table area with concrete slab, but if the weather is cool and windy we would be very uncomfortable. However, April 7 weekend, being Easter, the place is pretty open and the room is available. Rates, based on 8 or more trailers, would be $22 a night with 20/30/50amp power. Some have full hookups with sewer, but I think that is less of an issue for us than the mammoths. Pool won't open till it gets warmer. The town of Pine Mountain is about a mile down the road, looked like a couple of good restaurants, an IGA market; Callaway Gardens and lots of tourist sites around.

Tomorrow I will go down to Allatoona Lake where their are several campgrounds, especially Corps of Engineers places, and see what I can find. Of course, there are KOAs.

Give me some feedback. Unless I get something into the Cadet we may be in a tent; so much work, so little time. Another report Sunday night.

Don, aka DoninChatt
Old 03-03-2007, 09:41 PM   #27

Trailer: 1987 Casita 16 ft / Dodge Dakota Sport V6
Hi Don,
Thanks for taking the helm on the get together, I have heard good things about the Mckenny campground (corps of engineers ) there is a websight www.discoverourtown.com/GA/local-56371.html that tells all about it
we hope to make the event if the timing is right. good luck on the quest.
gerald
Old 03-07-2007, 06:07 PM   #28

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Don, are you OK?

http://gastateparks.org/info/cloudland/

I saved a post a few years ago about Cloudland Canyon State Park because it read so interestingly. Here is part of what the post said,

"Yes, we love the 'Canyon' campground. The West rim has much better camping sites. Had to camp on the east rim last weekend. Place was full. Been there 4 times this summer. We camp to get away from the phone ..... If you ever get back to Cloudland Canyon try Geneva's Restaurant to the left of the St. Pk. entrance. Excellent down home southern style cooking. Fried Okra especially delicious. Other excellent restaurants in Trenton are Lolita's Mexican, Brock's "American" and Rudalpho's Italian. For such a small town these are excellent restaurants. .....BTW Geneva's is a place you would drive by and never consider stopping. However it is an excellent place to eat good southern cooking.....We have been down to Brock's for one of their Awesome Western Omlets...."

Food is always a winner with me, and the area looks interesting too. Waiting to hear if you found a place you like. Someday I will go to the above park in the extreme NW corner of your state.

Nancy from northern MN (where we finally got lots of snow)