Grand Marais, MN Gathering - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-01-2008, 03:44 PM   #71
Trailer: Casita
This will be the first rally we are attending. I have read where sometimes they do a pot luck supper.Are there any special things that I should know about? What do you do on the tour of campers? Is there any thing we need to do ? I can hardly wait for the fun to start. Thanks, Bette

bette hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 05:13 PM   #72
Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Hi Bette

There will be a pot luck and an open house tour of trailers for anyone who wants to participate. Looking forward to seeing your new rig.

Lyndon will be bringing a large cooker for a huge stew, so anyone who wants can talk to him about what they can contribute. With so many people gathering I think we could probably use more than the stew.

When Joy and I started this it was going to be casual with about 10 to 15 trailers. It has sort of grown. We have not a prepared schedule but will work it out and post the times for pot luck, campfire, morning coffee, open house, card game times for anyone willing, etc in the activity building.

Hopefully the weather will be grand as the community building available is not going to hold us all at once.

For those who haven't been to Grand is a small village but has nice grocery stores (can't remember if there is one or two). There are many places to eat and so very much to see. We want to keep our gathering casual and hopefully people will gather for coffee in the morning and campfires at night.

Anyone who wants to plan activities other than the trailer open house please feel free to do so with new or old friends.

Anything you should be aware of? Well, bring warm clothes, rain gear and a smile. Keep the smile and hope the rain gear isn't needed.

Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 05:22 PM   #73
Deer alert.

The news on Duluth station last night was warning about fatalities to both humans and deer as the deer are moving around looking for food.

Be aware that evening and early morning are dangerous times, but be vigilant all the time. There are lots of deer on the way to Grand Marais.

I-35 coming into Duluth.

For anyone not familiar with I-35 coming into Duluth you will be coming down a hill. You may want to gear down. Truck speed is 45 on that stretch. I wondered what people pulling trailers do, maybe the truck speed limit? I doubt it as I haven't seen too many people pulling trailers slow down that much.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:11 AM   #74
Trailer: 1992 13 ft Scamp
Greetings to all Grand Marais travelers.

I expect there will be 50 rigs there ....... just cause GM is a good place to start the summer after a long Winter and slow Spring.

For those of you who have not been folowing this thread I suggest you go back to Nancy's post of May 26th in which she has highlighted stops and things to do from Duluth to GM. I dont think she missed anything that is trailer friendly.

For those of you who will be comming up I35 and are first timers to Duluth and the North Shore, I strongly recomend a stop at the Thompson Hill highway rest stop and visitors center (which Nancy also recomended)....especially if the weather is nice. The view of Lake Superior and harbor is spectacular. The staffed visitors center has much informational and promotional material relating to the Duluth and the North Shore for you to gather for later review.

I think nearly all of Highway 61 has been completely rebuilt and is in excellent condition. This means that it is easy to drive too fast as you will see many people doing. And yes there can be deer problems. There are several deer winter yarding areas along the route and some of the deer just hang around all year for the free hand outs that some folks provide in their yards. Be aware and take care.....and if you do get one bring it along for the pot luck

See you all soon

Dave and Diane P
DianeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 05:56 AM   #75
Name: Lyndon
Trailer: 1996 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel ('TOGETHERNEST' SLEEPS 8
GM stew day
Just got home from the Minden Meet where we used the Stew thing and all went well as far as I heard anyway
I bring the main ingrediants pot and fuel
Beef Veggi juice, rutibeggi honey and spices Each that want to contribute s hould bring a small can of any vegtable that they want to or if possible fresh is better.[ Peas, corn,carrots, cellery, onions, brussel sprouts spinich, tomatoes, Sweet peppers, beans, or whatever turnes you on.]
Beef will be started browning at around 6 in the AM around 7 water and juice will be added this will simmer until earlyafternoon and we will start adding the veggies that take longer to cook Beggies, carrots cellery, ect all canned stuff and the spuds will go in abort 1 hour before serving. We wont use Russett spuds as they tend to mush up.
Bring Any slaws salids breads crackers deserts,
Stew bowles I have. Furnish your silverware and plates and beverage
Lyndon Laney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 07:19 AM   #76
Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
And Lyndon, the stew was wonderful.

I'm going to bring a couple of loafs of bread and a tub of butter, that's the generic term. I'll let you folks add the veggies and bring the side dishes. With near 50 trailers we'll have plenty in the pot.

We are in Minnesota. Lily and I are headed over to Pipestone Nat'l Mon. today before heading north. I plan to visit the Scamp factory either Thurs. or Fri. then northward bound for Int'l Falls.
Joy A. & Lily
and "Puff", too
No. Ca. Sierra Foothills
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 05:17 PM   #77
Trailer: Casita
I will bring two 9x13 pans of my yummy bars for the potluck. I hope everyone likes carmel, nuts and chocolate. I cant wait-- its a week from today!!! Bette
bette hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 02:18 PM   #78
Trailer: 1999 Scamp 13 ft and 2003 Bigfoot 17 ft (15B17CB)
Regretfully we will not be able to make this gathering and have canceled our reservation.The site is 83W and looks like a pull through, if anyone is looking for one. Hope you all have a great time and look foreward to seeing you all down the road.
Tony and Darlene (mt_horebites)
Tony Nowak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 04:11 PM   #79
Tony and Darlene,

Sorry you can't come. If you have never been to Grand Marais I hope you can make it up there another time. It is a lovely place. August is my favorite (and everyones) month. Grand Marais is one of those places to see at least once.

Old 06-07-2008, 10:26 PM   #80
Name: Karalyn
Trailer: Eggless for now but looking. currently own Amerilite 21 ft
I heard that there has been a LOT of rain in grand marias and some flooding this past week. Is that for real?
Nancy, have you heard anything about that or is my information incorrect?
Money will buy a fine dog, but only kindness will make him wag his tail.

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 09:08 AM   #81
Hi Karalyn,

Just talked to Samatha at Grand Marais. She said there will be no problem. A few of us might have to relocate but there is plenty of room (they will not fill up this weekend).

Yes, they did have flooding, but I think all is OK now. Hwy 61 was one lane for a few miles northeast of Grand Marais, but maybe it is already fixed.

I've been watching the weather forecast and I am optimistic that we will have a nice Saturday.

Old 06-08-2008, 09:20 AM   #82
Called the Sheriff's office for a road update. Hwy 61 is open 2 lanes. There is no problem for us towing trailers. The Gunflint trail is also open for anyone who wants to do a day trip.

Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Old 06-10-2008, 05:04 PM   #83
Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Iowa folks:

I am sitting here in Des Moines wondering if I am going to make it home to Oak Park on Thursday due to the flooding.

Here is a map that you can check out for road conditions:

Some folks left my conference early and could not make it home. They are from Cedar Falls.

1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud, "The Egg Carton"
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 06:50 PM   #84
Trailer: 2008 16 ft Scamp
Below is the link to a website for the local Grand Marais internet service provider and the Grand Marais RV Park where you will all be camping. You can find a lot of information for the area from this websites including the weather and area links.

Doris is offline   Reply With Quote