Hatteras Island, NC October 13-15, 2006 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 02:30 PM   #1

Trailer: 1972 MKP Grandesse T (made in Denmark)
OK, here I go. Never done this before, but thought I'd give it a try:
I wondered if anyone out there might be interested in a eggscursion to Hatteras Island, NC on October 13 to 15.
This campsite is very reasonably priced and has openings available if you book now.
It is on the (Palmico) Sound side and the ocean is a five minute walk. Here is the link to their site:
Rodanthe Watersports and Campground
I've never been there, but the price seems right (since most other campsites in the area are either 2x or 3x as much and are mostly booked anyway).
Lots to do in Outer Banks area:
lighthouses, fishing, watersports, and my favorite: beachcombing
check out this link for info on what to do in the area:
Outer Banks Attractions
Old 07-15-2006, 08:24 PM   #2

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
We're interested. It's a possibility. The drive is a very long one from here in Charlotte. Depends on how much vacation time I'll have left by then.
Old 07-19-2006, 07:54 AM   #3

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Denise,

We've never stayed here and I'm always hesitant to endorse or knock any campground because we all have different criteria for determining the ideal campsite. From the road however, this place looks like an open lot with tents pitched in a somewhat haphazard fashion. It appears to be geared more towards the younger crowd coming down to surf, kite, sail and party - EXACTLY the type of place that I'd have chosen forty years ago!

Although we wouldn't stay here, we also avoid Camp Hatteras and the KOA which are the two 'resort' campgrounds (and priced accordingly) on the OBX. Most folks seem to think Ocean Waves is the best value for the money in that area but we don't stay there either. Our choice would be one of the NPS campgounds - Frisco, Ocracoke, Oregon Inlet and Cape Point in that order. These, especially Frisco, are less crowded and offer larger and more private sites than the commercial campgrounds. There are no hookups however and the showers are cold water only so these certainly aren't for everyone either.

We'll be at Frisco October 6-8 which is the last weekend they're open so we probably couldn't make it again for the dates you're planning. If you can come a week earlier and can live with a 'rustic' setting, Frisco is $20/night. In any event, I hope you and all others
who might attend have a great time where ever you stay. Since this is sort of in our backyard, I'll be glad to try to answer any questions. Fall is a great time to visit the OBX.

Al
Old 07-19-2006, 07:41 PM   #4

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
My wife and I actually prefer the more rustic campgrounds. The Casita has a shower, so we don't need to use the shower facilities. Also, we have a generator.

I didn't even know the NPS had campgrounds there. Those sound exactly like what we'd search for in the way of camping facilities.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:54 AM   #5

Thank you for your honest responses.
I should have done more research on this!
Anyway, please forgive the attempt, if I try this again, I will certainly do my homework!
I'll keep an eye out for a fiberglass gathering in this area so I can meet some of you wonderful folks in person. The few listed have been held on dates I've had to work, but someday I'm sure it will happen!
Well, it's not fiberglass, but I'm going to join the RVW at their October 19-22 gathering in Luray, VA.
Thanks again for the feedback, everyone!
Old 07-21-2006, 01:42 PM   #6

This gathering will not be happening.

Maybe we'll try this again next year. Thanks anyway!!
Closed Thread