PA July 15-17, 2011: Mid-Atlantic/Pocono Egg Fest - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2011, 06:15 PM   #101

Name: Ann & Mike
Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Delux
New York
Great Local Ice Cream

We have a chain of Stewarts Shops that has some amazing 'local' ice cream, I would put it up against any of the designer brands. It is especially good on Father's Day when you can get a cone for 50 cents, they were free until a few years ago. They do the same on Mother's Day and St. Paddy's day if you wear green, very easy. No one makes Rum Raisin anymore, it is still my favorite.
grammy46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:55 PM   #102

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I nominate Jen to be our social director- Just kidding....but to answer your question
HA! I commonly walk 20 miles at a time just for fun. You guys do not want me anywhere near directing anything social.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:44 PM   #103

Name: Sue
Trailer: '93 Casita FD 16'
NY
I'm with Grammy/Ann - Stewarts is the best! Crumbs Along the Mohawk is our family favorite (vanilla with chocolate and graham crackers). Alas, we don't have a freezer either, so I think the campground ice cream social is the best bet.

Maybe we can convince the group to have a future meet here in NY. We have at least three couples from NY. Central NY has much to offer including teh Fingerlakes wine country. The Watkins Glen KOA is by far the nicest campground we've ever stayed in. Here in the Capitol District we are in the foothills of the Adirondacks with Lake George and Saratoga close by. There are Stewarts shops every ten miles or less here so you could sample all of their yummy flavors!
spfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 05:18 AM   #104

Name: Ann & Mike
Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Delux
New York
We do have a small freezer in our Casita, we could bring maybe two half-gallons, we will try. Stewarts won the Times Useless Best of 2011 poll for best ice cream, and Gus's in Watervliet won the best Hot Dog, no surprise there. We just came back from Mongaup Pond in the Catskills about 80 miles from the KOA, another beautiful area. Near Roscoe NY which is known as Trout Town USA for all you fly fisherman out there.
Guppy/Mike
Attached Images

grammy46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 05:30 AM   #105

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
The pavilion is not very far from the area we are camping in. When we stayed there to scout it out it wasn't bad at all. I think we do have to scout out where we will hold our camp fire and potluck, I think sites 130, 131, and 129, are all extended sites, they are really deep and perhaps those can be our gathering area.

Jim can you check this out when you get there.

My wife and I will not arrive until about 8pm. I can't get off work, it is summer camp time and I am working with the kids until 4, then final packing, hitching and traveling.

I will pack some nametags and markers and makeup a sheet for the Tour De Egg on Saturday afternoon, Jim are those categories okay?

Whew, today I pick up new rims and tires for our casita, then this weekend I have to change all the tires, replace 4 rivets, both vent pipes, and then wax it up so "pops" is nice and shiny for the rally.

Looking forward to it!

Don and Brenda
Don W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 06:33 AM   #106

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Don,
I'm hoping to arrive by 12 on Friday so when you arrive that evening we can connect. Thanks
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:16 AM   #107

Pennsylvania
Registry
Here ia the email I just received from KOA re: ice cream.

Jim,

I know we spoke yesterday.
I just wanted to go over our discussion.
50+ prepaid participants will give your group the choice of time for the ice
cream social and a discounted price of $3.00 per person.
The ice cream social consists of 2 scoops of ice cream, chocolate syrup,
whip cream, and a choice of at least 3 toppings.
Please let me know by July 12th if you wish to have a pre-paid ice cream
social and how many you are purchasing.

Looking forward to the egg camper invasion.

Mary McGarrity
Delaware Water Gap~Pocono Mountain KOA
233 Hollow Road
East Stroudsburg, PA 18302
570-223-8000
direct 631-414-7000
fax 631-756-2163
email mary@poconokoa.com

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, July 04, 2011 8:12 PM
To: information@poconokoa.com
Subject: ice cream social

Can you give me a price for an ice cream social for a group gathering we are
having at your CG this month. Maybe 50 persons? where would it be held? cost
per person?

Let's discuss, really, we do not have to do anything and just wait til we get there, the price maybe a bit higher. Some campers have already expressed an interest in bringing a "local" favorite. So let's keep talking here and by Tuesday I'll contact them if we decide yes.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:23 PM   #108

Pennsylvania
Registry
So I managed to extricate myself from work early enough today and floated Rucio through the nonstop downpour up to the KOA tonight, for a photographic expedition weekend in the Stillwater Natural Area section of the Delaware State Forest.

The spot I've reserved for next weekend was free today, so I got to practice backing in, in the pitch dark, between the great big rock and the ditch...without any of you guys pointing and laughing.

Let me know if there's anything I can check out or ask about while I'm here (till Sunday).
Old 07-09-2011, 05:34 AM   #109

Jen,

Hope you get some great shots. I look forward to talking to you about it during the rally.

Can you check out where we might setup our group campfire. I think sites 130-131 are really long deep sites.

I know what you mean about practicing backing in with no-one around....we won't arrive until 8pm, and this will only be our 4th campout and I am still learning...well practice makes perfect.

Have a great stay and if you happen upon any amazing hiking trails let me know, I can't wait to hike on Saturday of the gathering, and then later in August I am taking my students to the Pocono environmental ed center.

Happy camping

Don and Brenda
Old 07-09-2011, 05:35 AM   #110

Jim,

My wife and I would love to do the ice cream social and price of 3-5 per person is fine. Thanks for organizing it.

Don and Brenda
Old 07-09-2011, 07:47 AM   #111

Pennsylvania
Registry
Jen,
Are you in site#123? Check out distance to pavilion by the office for the ice cream social. Also what about the paved road area in front of #123-132- we have the entire road and can block it if we want to after everyone arrives, maybe we can set up in the middle, it would be dry and level. We will have to scout out the area for a level spot for table set ups. See you next weekend-
Old 07-09-2011, 02:24 PM   #112

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Jim
Just letting you know I canceled my reservation yesterday. I pulled something in my back earlier this week, it is improving but don't think I will be up to climbing into the bunk in my 5th wheel by next weekend. My wife and I really wanted to come and meet everyone but maybe next time.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 02:28 PM   #113

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
Jim
Just letting you know I canceled my reservation yesterday. I pulled something in my back earlier this week, it is improving but don't think I will be up to climbing into the bunk in my 5th wheel by next weekend. My wife and I really wanted to come and meet everyone but maybe next time.
Eddie
Sorry, I'm sure there will be others- what site were you in in case someone else wants to move. Get well
Old 07-09-2011, 03:48 PM   #114

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I was in 202 which was a big site.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 06:36 AM   #115

Name: Marjie
Trailer: Trillium 4500
New York
Hi,
We don't mind of KOA gets the ice cream together. I think the price is good, and it just might be the best and easiest way to go.
Does anyone have a list of foods coming to the pot-luck? I would like to contribute, but am not sure what to bring.
Thanks, Marjie, et al.
Rarebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 10:05 AM   #116

Pennsylvania
Registry
Marjie,

I'm new at this rally stuff and have several irons in the fire.There is no list at present, could you help by volunteering to make one up and post it so as everyone can make arrangements? Thanks.
It appears we will go with KOA providing the ice cream so that may free up some room in the refers. I was planning on bringing salad mixes/dressing and a small pork roast to slow cook on the Cobb Grill.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:57 AM   #117

Pennsylvania
Registry
So inre distance from our section of the campground to the pavilion/office, I timed it this morning and at my best approximation of a 2ish mph sauntering pace, it took me 3:05:08 minutes. Give or take a few seconds.

The nice campground management has let me leave my camper there in site 123, so even if I don't manage to roll in till 8 or so, my Burro will be the first to arrive!

I think for potluck etc setup, the sites 130-131 as mentioned are indeed sizeable, but I think it would also work pretty well to close off that section of road. The area is reasonably shady by 5 - 5:30 pm.
Old 07-10-2011, 03:44 PM   #118

Name: Sue
Trailer: '93 Casita FD 16'
NY
We'll be bringing tortellini salad, and spinach and strawberry salad for the pot luck. And NYS wine and some local beer for the tasting. The ice cream social at the pavilion sounds great.
spfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 03:50 PM   #119

Name: Marjie
Trailer: Trillium 4500
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Marjie,

I'm new at this rally stuff and have several irons in the fire.There is no list at present, could you help by volunteering to make one up and post it so as everyone can make arrangements? Thanks.
It appears we will go with KOA providing the ice cream so that may free up some room in the refers. I was planning on bringing salad mixes/dressing and a small pork roast to slow cook on the Cobb Grill.
Alrighty then......I am happy to TRY and organize what everyone is bringing to potluck!
Here we go: Please post or PM me (posting for all to see is better, then everyone knows what is going on) in the next three days. I will make a list and post it on Wed. night. That way we will know what we have, and what we may need. Sound OK??
As of now, don't worry what others are bringing, just decide what YOU like to make/bring and it will all be wonderful.
Happy Trails,
Marjie
Rarebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 03:56 PM   #120

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen b View Post
So I managed to extricate myself from work early enough today and floated Rucio through the nonstop downpour up to the KOA tonight, for a photographic expedition weekend in the Stillwater Natural Area section of the Delaware State Forest.

The spot I've reserved for next weekend was free today, so I got to practice backing in, in the pitch dark, between the great big rock and the ditch...without any of you guys pointing and laughing.

Let me know if there's anything I can check out or ask about while I'm here (till Sunday).
Ah, it would have been so much more fun with someone shouting "more this way no more that way now strait now more that way". Never forget the axiom of groundguide competence: Ability to judge clearance AND give audible and comprehensible directions is inversely proportional to distance from driver. The best ones can stand in front of your mirrors and tell you exactly what to do. The worst are always somewhere behind, or--perish the thought which occurs--possibly under the trailer. Yikes!
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eggcamper