Lake San Antonio Spring Rally - Page 8 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-30-2008, 09:08 PM   #99

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft
Quote:
I am back to definitely coming- we set our recital to the following weekend. Yay! I may have to bring my cello along and practice my Bach on all of you, though. Do they have an ordnance about nuisance noise?

What's the climate like there in May?

Bobbie
The weather should be mild and warm - 70.

Old 03-30-2008, 09:10 PM   #100

Quote:
We'll be driving south on I-5, but when we get to the Coalinga area it's decision time. We can go Hwy 198 to Hwy 101... or we can go Hwy 41 to Hwy 46... Both route are almost identical on mileage. Anybody have any suggestions on which route is easier (for me that means less hills, less windy curves)? Thanks, Steve & Terri
We always take 41 & 46.

Old 03-30-2008, 10:23 PM   #101

Trailer: 1998 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / Red F150 X-Cab
Quote:
We'll be driving south on I-5, but when we get to the Coalinga area it's decision time. We can go Hwy 198 to Hwy 101... or we can go Hwy 41 to Hwy 46... Both route are almost identical on mileage. Anybody have any suggestions on which route is easier (for me that means less hills, less windy curves)? Thanks, Steve & Terri
I didn't realize the distance was the same! I usually go 41 and 46, they're pretty boring. Along the way there's a cafe in the middle of nowhere called Jack Ranch Cafe (I think that's the right name). Good food. Highway 198 is a prettier route I think; took some beautiful pictures in the fall going that direction a couple years ago. Way quieter road than 41 and 46. Maybe you could go one way and return the other. Does anyone know if the construction on 41 is done yet? That was a nightmare the last couple times to the coast! You've set me to thinking--I'll have to Mapquest it for mileage--if 198 is the same distance from where I live I'll take it for sure--41 and 46 are crowded on weekends. Last year I took 41/46 to San Antonio just to visit--and this time I get to pull a trailer!
Old 03-30-2008, 11:02 PM   #102

Quote:
I didn't realize the distance was the same! I usually go 41 and 46, they're pretty boring. Along the way there's a cafe in the middle of nowhere called Jack Ranch Cafe (I think that's the right name). Good food. Highway 198 is a prettier route I think; took some beautiful pictures in the fall going that direction a couple years ago. Way quieter road than 41 and 46. Maybe you could go one way and return the other. Does anyone know if the construction on 41 is done yet? That was a nightmare the last couple times to the coast! You've set me to thinking--I'll have to Mapquest it for mileage--if 198 is the same distance from where I live I'll take it for sure--41 and 46 are crowded on weekends. Last year I took 41/46 to San Antonio just to visit--and this time I get to pull a trailer!
Mapquest'd it--it'll take me an extra hour to go 198. Guess I'll stick with 41/46. Bummer! Maybe on the way back if I have plenty of time.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:31 PM   #103

I got a different mileage and time on Googles maps. I tested from Hanford, CA to San Antonio Lake. 16 minutes difference.

First one: Hwy 41/46 - 114 mi about 2 hours 32 mins

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture_10.png
Views:	21
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	12389

Second test: Hwy 198 - 123 mi about 2 hours 48 mins

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture_11.png
Views:	23
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	12390
Old 03-30-2008, 11:35 PM   #104

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
It would be fun to go one way on the way and the other on the way back. A little change in scenery.

Bobbie
Old 03-31-2008, 05:52 PM   #105

Name: Bill
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Washington
We went through 46/41 four weeks ago, the construction is definitely still underway (looks like a very multi-year project to me). On the day we went north there was a section of single lane with flagmen. On our return a couple of days later it was at night, so, both lanes were open. However, in the major construction zone (north side of the southern pass on 41) the lanes are sub-standard width and shift from side to side in a couple of places with lots of friendly concrete barriers right on the edge of the lane. Definitely pucker time when a semi passes in the other direction.

You can check
http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/
just before traveling.

As of today it says:
SR 41
[IN THE CENTRAL CALIFORNIA AREA]
1-WAY CONTROLLED TRAFFIC AT VARIOUS LOCATIONS FROM 5.1 MI NORTH OF THE
JCT OF SR 46 (SAN LUIS OBISPO CO) TO 4.3 MI NORTH OF THE KERN/KINGS CO LINE
FROM 0500 HRS TO 1800 HRS TUESDAY THRU SATURDAY THRU 4/5/08 - DUE TO
CONSTRUCTION - MOTORISTS ARE SUBJECT TO 10 MINUTE DELAYS

I expect that each week the same notice will come up with new dates until they are done. This same notice was in effect four weeks ago when we went through.

Bill
Old 03-31-2008, 09:11 PM   #106

Thanks, Bill for the update, and Mike for the add'l info. Based on your info, I'm taking 198!

Quote:
We went through 46/41 four weeks ago, the construction is definitely still underway (looks like a very multi-year project to me). On the day we went north there was a section of single lane with flagmen. On our return a couple of days later it was at night, so, both lanes were open. However, in the major construction zone (north side of the southern pass on 41) the lanes are sub-standard width and shift from side to side in a couple of places with lots of friendly concrete barriers right on the edge of the lane. Definitely pucker time when a semi passes in the other direction.

You can check
http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/
just before traveling.

As of today it says:
SR 41
[IN THE CENTRAL CALIFORNIA AREA]
1-WAY CONTROLLED TRAFFIC AT VARIOUS LOCATIONS FROM 5.1 MI NORTH OF THE
JCT OF SR 46 (SAN LUIS OBISPO CO) TO 4.3 MI NORTH OF THE KERN/KINGS CO LINE
FROM 0500 HRS TO 1800 HRS TUESDAY THRU SATURDAY THRU 4/5/08 - DUE TO
CONSTRUCTION - MOTORISTS ARE SUBJECT TO 10 MINUTE DELAYS

I expect that each week the same notice will come up with new dates until they are done. This same notice was in effect four weeks ago when we went through.

Bill
Old 04-01-2008, 10:54 PM   #107

We now have 31 trailers signed up for Lake San Antonio Spring Rally. Wow, it's going to be a great rally.

Attendees to the Rally are a very diverse group of FiberglassRV folks:

19 have attended this Rally in the past, 12 are coming for the first time

1 is coming from Florida, 1 from Nevada, 2 from Oregon, the rest are from all over California

At least 1 is picking up their new Casita this month in Texas.

Our trailers are all ages: 1970s Fiberstreams, TrailWests, Compact II, Bolers, Burros all the way to brand new 2008 Casita's and Oliver's

We are 13 foot Scamps, Casitas, Bolers, Compact II to a 19 foot Scamp 5th wheel to a 25 foot Bigfoot (which may look awfully big now, but it won't when we are living in it full time, ha ha). At least 15 are Casitas.

We have a "stickie" coming, which we won't hold against them; we'll just try to convert them, don't cha' know

Most of our rigs are basic white, but we also have a silver Boler and a custom green Casita

Looking forward to seeing you all,

Lori
Old 04-01-2008, 11:37 PM   #108

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
We have a "stickie" coming, which we won't hold against them; we'll just try to convert them, don't cha' know
Dang! I forgot the Magic Incantation Spell for the transmutation of Aluminum into Fiberglass!

<sub>I'll go to my room, now.</sub>
Old 04-02-2008, 04:26 PM   #109

Name: Liz
Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler, 1987 & 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
California
Registry
Fred, I've been chanting over that sticky...so far no luck.

It's our "before the Boler sticky", a 1972 Cardinal Lowliner. It's our friend's, Steve and Rosemary's, first "RV" and they are learning a lot fixing it up. I'm sure somewhere down the road they will come to the fiberglass side. In the mean time we love them anyway.

Lori, it looks like a great rally! Both Rosemary and I are interested in the DO workshop.

Here is the Cardinal when we brought her home several years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
cardinal1.jpg  
Old 04-03-2008, 01:42 AM   #110

Name: Linda and Dale and Dallas the cat
Trailer: 1984 Fiber Stream
California
We have friends that call their old sticky a "canned ham" so it really should fit right in with all the eggs. Don't ham and eggs go together?
Old 04-03-2008, 09:16 AM   #111

Trailer: 17 ft Oliver Legacy Elite
Send a message via Yahoo to Chuck-H
Talking

Hi All!
Anyone coming the 41/46 route.....Be sure to stop at Jack Ranch Cafe , close to intersection of 41/46, it's the scene of James Deans infamous car crash n death. The cafe itself serves homemade burritos(huge) and pies(awesome) along with just plain ole good food!
When I traveled CA, it was one of favorite stops. Harris Ranch resturant off the I-5 near Coalinga, is way over rated now.
Looking forward to seeing ya'll soon!
Chuck
Old 04-03-2008, 11:14 AM   #112

Quote:
We have friends that call their old sticky a "canned ham" so it really should fit right in with all the eggs. Don't ham and eggs go together?