Leech Lake Mn Camp - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-17-2007, 06:19 PM   #15

Name: Jim
Trailer: 1987 19 ft Scamp 5th Wheel
Michigan
We have site 72 so I guess we'll have someone's back yard. Looking forward to the get together and summer. Hope to make it up the Gunflint Trail before or after the rally.

Old 02-17-2007, 08:44 PM   #16

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Jim and Autumn,

I would try for the Gunflint at the end of the trip, saving the best for last?

The Leech Lake Camp starts on Monday and ends on a Friday?, so you want to take that into account as far as finding a camping spot on the North Shore on the weekend.

If this drought we are having doesn't break you also might want to check how things are on the Gunflint before driving up there. Wouldn't think June would be a problem, but we sure are dry and last year they had some fires up there. The dry weather should not bother the Leech Lake camp. The only good thing about the drought is that we don't have so many mosquitoes.

Nancy

Old 02-18-2007, 04:13 PM   #17

Michigan
Quote:
Jim and Autumn,

I would try for the Gunflint at the end of the trip, saving the best for last?

The Leech Lake Camp starts on Monday and ends on a Friday?, so you want to take that into account as far as finding a camping spot on the North Shore on the weekend.

If this drought we are having doesn't break you also might want to check how things are on the Gunflint before driving up there. Wouldn't think June would be a problem, but we sure are dry and last year they had some fires up there. The dry weather should not bother the Leech Lake camp. The only good thing about the drought is that we don't have so many mosquitoes.

Nancy
Thanks for the heads up. We will definitely check the weather and reservation availability before embarking. Do you know of any must stay at spots along the Gunflint?
Old 02-18-2007, 11:49 PM   #18

Regarding the Gunflint Trail. It has been years since we were up the trail. What one wants to see and do depends on what one likes. I thought you had probably been there before, if not my memory is that Bearskin Lake is pretty and a million years ago Four Lake was a nice place to camp. Gunflint Lake near Grand Marais is also very nice. I believe the fire may have been towards the end of the trail, but I'm not sure on that. If you haven't been on the North Shore before there are many, many things to see on the way. You may want a few nights on the way to Gunflint. Hope this link will work for you.

http://www.gunflint-trail.com/planner/camping.html

Nancy
Old 02-19-2007, 08:36 AM   #19

Michigan
Thanks alot. We drove around Lake Superior a few year back, but didn't include a trip up the trail. We stopped for lunch in Grand Marais and loved the ambience. We also heard about the trail. Now that we have more time, we're heading back.
Old 02-19-2007, 10:41 AM   #20

Off topic again. Jim and Autumn, Gooseberry Falls is far too popular on a weekend. We avoid weekends. If you are able to walk stop at the parking lot at Tettegouche State Park (parking lot is off highway and is free) take the hike to Shovel Point. It is lovely. If you are able to camp at Tettegouche you can do more hikes to the waterfalls, there is the tall one and then there is the two step falls (many stairs). Both of the trails can be reached from the Campground. This campground will be booked for weekends so if you are interested you must make reservations. One must pay park fees to get to the Campground and the Superior Hiking Trail link up near the campground. Because some hiking is required at Tettegouche there is not such a mob as at the more popular Gooseberry. Gooseberry parking lot is also free in case there isn't a mob there. You could drive through to see if the large lot is packed.

If you are unable to hike just sit back and enjoy the scenery from the car. If you are able to hike let me know because there are so many short hikes worth while along the shore.

Nancy
Old 05-12-2007, 08:58 PM   #21

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 13 ft and 2003 Bigfoot 17 ft (15B17CB)
Wisconsin
Fiberglass friends,
I spoke to Jerry two days ago and thougth I would bring this FG camp to the top of the list.27 trailers signed up so far with about 34 campers. Jerry says there are still 3-4 sites available and be sure to welcome any FG owner.There are also 30 first come,first served sites. Call: 877-444-6777
The Scamp factory tour is still on, unknown which day. Looks like good biking available nearby. Will clarify,with Jerry,the night for potluck.
Call Jerry at 763-576-8319 when you reserve a site so he can plan accordingly.
See you there !
Tony and Darlene (mt_horebites)
P.S. The Mount Horeb Mustard Festival is the first Saturday in August,the 4th this year.In case you don't know,the worlds largest collection of mustard is located in Mount Horeb!
Old 05-16-2007, 05:45 PM   #22

Trailer: 1992 13 ft Scamp
We made reservations today for the 20th to the 23rd. We have site 62. I talked to the park office and they indicated that there should not be a big problem getting a site during the week. we made a reservation any way. See y'all there on the 20th.

Dave and Diane
Old 06-09-2007, 04:34 AM   #23

Name: Lyndon
Trailer: 1996 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel ('TOGETHERNEST' SLEEPS 8
Minnesota
Looks as if this will be big as Jerry has 36 signed up
I Scamp Camp June 18 19 20 and 21 Leave Friday 22

Host Gerald Bentler

Schedule Of Events
Mon 18 Arrive and set up
5:00 Sloppy Joes Host will provide Buns, chips and pickles. Fellow campers are asked to bring Salads, Beans, drinks, deserts, or whatever, plates utensils, and napkins, followed by Campfire with Pop corn.
Tue 19 10:00 Tech session followed by trailer tour, for those who wish.
Bingo { time not decided}
Wed 20 10:00 Line up for caravan to Backus for
Tour of Scamp factory is 11:00 Sharp, After tour
meet at Glenda Gallagher’s for snacks, on Leech Lake
Thurs 21 Possible tour to headwaters of Mississippi. { Itasca State Park} Evening White elephant drawing.
Fri 22 8;00 Meet for goodbyes and Solongs
[Note] Bring bug repellant belive all reserved sites are taken but quite a few non reservable ones left
COME ON OVER