Looking for a rally eastern Maritimes 2012 - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2012, 12:36 PM   #21

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
St Martins, NB

Alison,

If we were on the east coast we'd definitely be at the St. Martin's Fiberglass Rally. This year we're making a loop of the USA and will be attending the Oregon Fiberglass Rally in July. Possibly next year on our way back from Newfoundland.

Have a great time....

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:52 AM   #22

Name: Harvey
Trailer: 1972 Trillium
Nova Scotia
Registry
We're also booked, looking forward to it.

Harvey & Tina
Harvey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:36 AM   #23

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
Are there still spots open for this rally? I've never been to one, nor this part of Canada. Any info on the rally and/or what I would need to have as an American would be great!
CeliaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:53 AM   #24

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Celia,
Check post # 18 above, and check out the 2012 rally map for other meets here:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post268197
You need a passport or equivalent e.g. enhanced drivers licence or nexus pass.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:24 PM   #25

Thanks! I read somewhere that I needed a "visitor card" (plus a passport) and that I couldn't bring any food in - can't remember where I found that now, though.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:32 PM   #26

The food is tricky crossing both ways, what is banned is always in flux. Best to travel with minimal and buy local for anything fresh. Packaged stuff like bread and sealed chicken weiners is usually safe. Typically more restrictions entering into the US. Both govt's have websites describing the restrictions that are updated.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:56 PM   #27

Name: Alison
Trailer: 1974 Aer-flo 14R
Nova Scotia
Registry
Cool

Hope to see you there Celia L we are going to have a great time. Check Parris's Post above for further details and the website for the campground.
Alison Cape Breton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:08 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeliaL View Post
Any info on what I would need to have as an American would be great!
USA to Canada:
Entering Canada | Embassy of the United States Ottawa, Canada

Non-Canadians

Canada to USA:
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...r-personal-use

Prohibited and Restricted Items - CBP.gov
Old 06-29-2012, 03:49 PM   #29

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Thanks! I read somewhere that I needed a "visitor card" (plus a passport) and that I couldn't bring any food in - can't remember where I found that now, though.
If you have a current passport that is all you will need.

If you have a pet you should have a certificate with you showing the pets are current on their rabies vaccination - despite what you may read on the web that is really all you need for the pets and its needed going both ways - although they don't often actually ask for it going either side.

In regards to food - going both ways you should not take across the border any live plants, fruits or vegetables or some fresh meats (what is and isnt ok changes so best to forget it all). Staples such as Milk, butter, bread, coffee, sugar, spices, cereals, processed cheeses, crackers, snacks and other drinks are not an issue going either way, neither are can goods. To be safe I always buy the fruits and vegetables and meats once I cross the border. There is a limit on the amount of booze you can take going either way also. Be warned the price of booze in Canada is high so if you want a few cold ones you should bring your max allowed across..... although when it comes to beer you may not be sorry you didn't bring any American bands over and the Canadian stuff is well worth what you will pay for it

The other big no no's to bring into Canada are guns and fire wood of any kind. The US doesnt want any Canadian wood either.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:26 PM   #30

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500 (plus 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks)
Registry
The only other thing with respect to pets -- the US will not allow an open package of dog food. Bags must be original and new never opened. Same meat restrictions apply as to human consumption foods. Right now (or at least 2 weeks ago) it was no lamb or goat.
In previous years we've experienced bans on chicken (bird flu/SARS), beef (mad cow)
Luckily both our dogs will eat fish based foods so that's what we always cross with. We've only once been asked for proof of rabies vaccine but nearly always have to show the guards the food.
BTW- proof of rabies vaccination is by a vet signed certificate. Tags alone is not enough.
Carol Ann in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:04 PM   #31

Registry
Funny enough I have never been asked about pet food even though I have crossed many times with a dog. Only once did the topic even come up and only by accident - a week after 9/11 I was in a motor home and I had a dog with serious food allergies - only thing he could eat at the time was homemade meals containing ground up chicken. I know I was taking a chance when I packaged up a bunch in meal size raw packages for him and put them in the freezer of the motor home - due to 9/11 they were searching everything - 4 FBI members came into the motor home searching through everything. One of them opened the freezer and all the little packages of chicken fell out - one fellow asked what it was as it wasn't marked and I explained it was organic chicken and it was for the dog..... he then called all his buddy's in who where searching around outside to come into the motor home. I held my breath thinking he was going to make a big show of taking it away from me as I seem to recall there was some chicken issue happening around that time. Instead he held it up and said you will not believe what this dog eats! He eats better food than we do, its organic chicken! One of them was patted the dog and said he is a darn good looking lab and if he was his he would feed him well to. They put the chicken back in the freezer and left. LOL After that I started using special ordered freeze dried chicken when traveling. Didn't think I would be so lucky the second time. Suspect I only got away with it as they were FBI and not the regular Border Patrol.

Currently pet food containing lamb, sheep or goat meat is still prohibited in both directions.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:17 PM   #32

I haven't been on the forums for quite a while. I forgot how nice you all are! Thanks for the information! My passport is being renewed right now, should be back in time. How big are the bugs? And do I need my longjohns?
Old 06-29-2012, 06:31 PM   #33

Registry
Quote:
How big are the bugs? And do I need my longjohns?
Well you know we grow everything BIG in Canada but the bugs should not be any bigger than your average lumber jack...... as far as longjohns...... well you know our igloos do tend to get a little chilly in the evenings

Seriously though you will find bugs are not an issue in the Maritimes due the sea breeze. As far as long johns go - unless it is a real rare cold snap you should not need them in July and August you should get by just fine in shorts and flip flops. Bring a jacket for the evenings though.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:31 PM   #34

Darn you Carol, I wanted to tell not to forget her snowshoe and toque, EH!

Coming from BC, thought you would know about this:
index

Hard to tell from dehydrated human food if it is in a plastic container similar to the breakfast cereal beside it in the cupboard.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:38 PM   #35

Registry
LOL I had forgotten about those two dudes!! I was going to warn her .
Old 06-30-2012, 01:32 PM   #36

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Van Camper
New Brunswick
now a raincoat is another story
Briantb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:35 PM   #37

Don't forget that tomorrow is Canada Day, Canada's birthday.

IIRC the McKenzie brother skit was to keep CBC or the CRTC happy by providing a certain amount of "Canadian Programming".
Old 06-30-2012, 04:27 PM   #38

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
actually, her long john question is surprisingly relevant! st. martins sits on the bay of fundy which, at best, is frigid. the winds off of it can also be so, despite how warm it might be away from the coast. this area can also be quite foggy. so, in fact, a pair of long johns on a chilly night beside the fire would really help to keep the dampness/chill away.
have fun at this rally, everyone. wish i wasn't having to go to work.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 04:40 PM   #39

Registry
Darn Theresa you did have to bring as back to the real world didn't you! ;-) Yup you can need a rain coat, warm clothing and a hat on pretty well both coasts when the the fog and winds blow in - which can happen any time of year - even on the mid coast...
Old 06-30-2012, 04:59 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
when the the fog and winds blow in at - which can happen any time of year
I've watched the fog and winds blow in at anytime during the day.

Spent 2-3 days at Halifax harbour trying to get out on the Bluenose II back in the 80's. If you could see a certain point in the harbour at the scheduled departure time, the tour would leave. The darn fog rolled in and out to thwart departure every scheduled trip while we were there.

While we were waiting on the last day we had a few wobbly pops at the harbourside bar with the president of National Sea Products (aka High Liner) and his wife. He offered to take us out on his own sailboat when the last available tour (for our schedule) didn't depart. We didn't know his position till then, just a nice couple.

Tags
rally