Map of owners/members - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-18-2010, 03:25 PM   #15

Trailer: 1978 Boler 13 ft
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by james kent View Post
Sometimes it pays to have lived in the same house for 40 years. When we go away for a few days or longer we let at least two of our neighbours know and they do the same. We all know everyones now grown children and recognize their vehicles. We check each others mail boxes and put their garbage out on the correct day and make sure the lawns are kept up in summer and the drive is cleared in winter. If someone is gone for an extended trip, someone will park a car in their driveway so that it looks like the house is occupied. This is just being good neighbours.
Could be that's just Canadian too
cause we do the same thing!!!

Old 12-18-2010, 03:34 PM   #16

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann B View Post
Could be that's just Canadian too
cause we do the same thing!!!
Not just Canadians, I have sets of keys to at least 3 neighbors homes and their alarm codes in case of emergencies, it is a matter of trust. Sometimes I'll have to go in to the feed fish or put in a delivered package. They do the same for me. I'm sure we all have heard the horror story about the alarm going off for a malfunction and the people were away in Europe for 3 weeks!! Not in our neighborhood, we go in and turn it off so we can get some sleep!!!

Old 12-19-2010, 09:13 AM   #17

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 SD
Washington
Registry
I have lived in my home for over 35 years as well. I too, have neighbors who have lived here even longer than me. I have their house keys, they have mine, and we also watch and care for each others homes, pets, etc. I also know that if someone wants to find out something about anyone else, the info is readily available. I know, because I used to be a fire marshal, and that often involves a lot of "detective work." I only attempted to inform folks that, while your info is certainly out there already, some things shouldn't necessarily be "broadcast" to the public-at-large. It's not that you can't be found, but why invite trouble? It is not the members here that I'm concerned about, it is the fact that this forum is not secure and anyone can "listen in" so to speak about what we are doing, and when we will be doing it. To find where you live is easy, to tell people when you are going on a trip (other than your trusted neighbors) is somewhat irresponsible and needlessly reckless with your personal security. But, if the thought of coming home to an empty house appeals to you, then by all means tell the world your name, address, and when you won't be home. It is after all, a personal choice, but I prefer to keep some modicum of personal privacy. The same reason I don't subscribe to any social networking sites such as facebook, twitter, and all the rest.
Your mileage may vary.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:20 AM   #18
Commercial Member

Name: Alan
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
South Carolina
Smile Map

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Some of the other forums have a map or some database where owners can see where other members are located. That way, impromptu rally's or meetings can be made. Any way we can start a member/owner database to see how close we maybe to one another and perhaps plan a gathering? What does everyone else think of this idea? If not a map at least request that everyone update their profile to show what state they are located in.
I think that would bew a heck of an idea. If you ever break down thre might be some one near that could offer assiantanc or advice where to get fixed at a reasonable cost. Great Thought
Old 12-19-2010, 12:06 PM   #19

Name: Kathie
Trailer: U-HAUL VT16
upstate ny
How about State posting with mid,up, down, western, eastern, central. That gives location but not enough to zero in on someone unless mutual.
Old 08-27-2011, 04:09 PM   #20

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 2012 Chevy Silverado
Michigan
I'm not particularly worried about being found out because it's so easy to do now. Via internet a few years ago I located a cousin with whom I'd had no contact since 1956. Had no idea where he lived or even if he was alive.
Old 08-27-2011, 07:10 PM   #21

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
<-<-<-
<-<-<-<_<Look there! On the left. At least the state/province wouldn't change anything.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:49 PM   #22

Name: Sue
Trailer: '93 Casita FD 16'
NY
Unless we have personally met and exchanged information, nobody on this forum has anyone else's real name. I'm not convinced that City/State info is all that risky. If you live in a small town you could use a nearby big city.

I agree with CPAHarley that a map would be useful. People can opt in or out depending on comfort level. Personally, I would love to find more local Fiberglass RV'ers.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:11 PM   #23

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by spfar View Post
Unless we have personally met and exchanged information, nobody on this forum has anyone else's real name.

Personally, I would love to find more local Fiberglass RV'ers.
So, your name isn't Sue?

When this website was first created, it was a requirement to sign on with your actual real name. Old-timers like me put it out there from the beginning.
<<<<<<<<That's my real name in my profile.<<<<<<<<
I've been participating openly here for 7 years with no repercussions.
My military service is public record.
My mailing address is public record.
My property deed and mortgage is public record.
My telephone number is listed and public record.
My vehicle registrations are public record.

I find it ironic that in this era of DADT repeal and the litigation over California's Proposition 8 constitutionality, historically anonymous persons (Like myself) are clamoring to be openly identifiable. We know that hiding behind anonymity doesn't work and causes more harm than it provides protection from.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:24 PM   #24

Name: Rosemary
Trailer: Cardinal (Restoring)
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
So, your name isn't Sue?

When this website was first created, it was a requirement to sign on with your actual real name. Old-timers like me put it out there from the beginning.
<<<<<<<<That's my real name in my profile.<<<<<<<<
I've been participating openly here for 7 years with no repercussions.
My military service is public record.
My mailing address is public record.
My property deed and mortgage is public record.
My telephone number is listed and public record.
My vehicle registrations are public record.

I find it ironic that in this era of DADT repeal and the litigation over California's Proposition 8 constitutionality, historically anonymous persons (Like myself) are clamoring to be openly identifiable. We know that hiding behind anonymity doesn't work and causes more harm than it provides protection from.
Very well said. Not much can be hidden today.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:15 PM   #25

Name: Sue
Trailer: '93 Casita FD 16'
NY
Yes - my first name is Sue. That and a dollar will get you a cup of coffee (maybe). I post on some forums as Sue. But I don't think you could come knocking at my door based on what I have posted on here or other forums.

I suspect I could get more information about Frederick L. Simson from San Diego if I wanted to, but I really have no interest in doing so. You are on the other coast and we won't likely ever meet.

People should be as private as they want to be. Thanks to CPHarley and his awesome rally, husband and I met some egg campers in our area that we would like to get together with in the future. We exchanged contact information during the rally. They could show up on our doorstep and vice versa, but I'm not worried. It would be nice to find some other local eggers. I think a general map would be great.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:13 PM   #26

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
Smile More Portlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
YES! Thank you for voicing my thoughts Vivian! I don't even know what state some of the cities I'm seeing are in. It really is very helpful when replying to specific questions, etc. If someone is looking for welder/repair/parts/paint shop for instance.

Portland, Maine
or
Portand, Oregon
Not to mention, Portland, Texas; Portland, Tennessee; or Portland, Indiana!!

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 02:19 PM   #27

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I guess we could put up a google map and if one wished put a star where they are with their screen name. similar to a rally map but permanent. anyone know how to do this and i'll be first to put my location, (it is under my name)if everyone is shy. it may be fun to see on a larger map where everyone is!!!
Old 09-02-2011, 02:14 PM   #28

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
Not to mention, Portland, Texas; Portland, Tennessee; or Portland, Indiana!!
or Vancouver Washington or Vancouver BC