Map of owners/members - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2010, 03:03 PM   #1

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Map of owners/members

Some of the other forums have a map or some database where owners can see where other members are located. That way, impromptu rally's or meetings can be made. Any way we can start a member/owner database to see how close we maybe to one another and perhaps plan a gathering? What does everyone else think of this idea? If not a map at least request that everyone update their profile to show what state they are located in.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 06:00 PM   #2

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
i think it's a great idea...sometimes i see the identifiers on the posts but don't recognize the locations.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 06:04 PM   #3

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
This site used to have one. I am not sure if that is what happened but I suspect it is.: the membership gets large, the Frapper map becomes slow to load and eventually it doesn't work at all. Seems like a couple hundred entries are all it takes.

Regards,

Matt
Old 10-26-2010, 06:09 PM   #4

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I checked out the old Frappr thread, and it said that someone had bought Frappr and cancelled the service.
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 06:24 PM   #5

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 16 ft ('The Pod')
Updating profiles to show the state would be very helpful. Some people prefer to protect their privacy and do not wish to be included in something as specific as a map.
Vivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 06:27 PM   #6

Pennsylvania
Registry
By updating the state more people may be inclined to reach out and host a rally convenient to a handful vs one attended by dozens from far away, not that they are not fun, but I'd like to see more get togethers more often!!
Old 10-26-2010, 07:01 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivian View Post
Updating profiles to show the state would be very helpful.
YES! Thank you for voicing my thoughts Vivian! I don't even know what state some of the cities I'm seeing are in. It really is very helpful when replying to specific questions, etc. If someone is looking for welder/repair/parts/paint shop for instance.

Portland, Maine
or
Portand, Oregon
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:19 PM   #8

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
It might be possible using Google Maps and a moderator to start:
Collaborating and sharing - Maps Help
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:27 PM   #9

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
request that everyone update their profile to show what state they are located in.
You are in PA, I assume?
I initially thought you were one of my neighbours:
York, Ontario - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

On Edit:
Wow, I just discovered a lot of places are called York
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/York_(disambiguation)
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:44 PM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
It might be possible using Google Maps and a moderator to start:
Collaborating and sharing - Maps Help
There already is a Google Map for Rallies here on FiberglassRV: 2010 Fiberglass RV Meets - Google Maps

Click image for larger version

Name:	LinkToRallies.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	31880

It just hasn't been updated for a while.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:36 PM   #11

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
YES, I agree knowing the State is a big help and city even a bigger help. I like to know where my fellow fiberglass people are in comparison to me, that is why I posted my city. Some day I may find another person from my area. The fellow I got my camper from used to be on this board, but I never knew. He and his wife lived just a few short miles from me. It would be nice to know who my fiberglass neighbors are. I agree some may not want to let others know who and where they are, and I assume that is why they are not posting city and state. I posted the message about Mpls campers because I think we have more fiberglass campers in this area than we think we do. I am one of the curious ones :-)
Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 11:13 AM   #12

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
From a security standpoint, this forum is not members-only nor password protected. Just understand that any information you post here is fair game to any lurkers who maybe would like to visit you when you're not home, if you know what I mean. Why make it easier for someone with nefarious intentions to find where you live? Just by following our rally threads, they can gain much personal information on people here and cross reference common on-line data resources to pinpoint your home.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 01:23 PM   #13

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
From a security standpoint, this forum is not members-only nor password protected. Just understand that any information you post here is fair game to any lurkers who maybe would like to visit you when you're not home, if you know what I mean. Why make it easier for someone with nefarious intentions to find where you live? Just by following our rally threads, they can gain much personal information on people here and cross reference common on-line data resources to pinpoint your home.
they can do the same with your tag# on your car, if someone wants your info it can be had, there are paid websites that offer your address,phone,dob,last 4 digits ssn, neighbors, lawsuits, dun and bradstreet rating. face it we live in a very public world, if you drive or vote, all public info. Lexis/Nexis,Zabbasearch are two that come to mind
Just make sure you do not feed the doberman before you go camping, he can handle any problem if needed. between good neighbors, an alarm, local police and a housesitter, i'm more concerned with the wild critters camping!!!
it is hard to participate in a publc forum while hiding behind anonymity,knowing what city someone is located may help to form friendships thru a common bond- camping- that benefit may outweigh any perceived liability.
As someone mentioned earlier, just update your profile so others know who live near one another.
Old 12-18-2010, 02:52 PM   #14

Trailer: Boler 1984
Sometimes it pays to have lived in the same house for 40 years. When we go away for a few days or longer we let at least two of our neighbours know and they do the same. We all know everyones now grown children and recognize their vehicles. We check each others mail boxes and put their garbage out on the correct day and make sure the lawns are kept up in summer and the drive is cleared in winter. If someone is gone for an extended trip, someone will park a car in their driveway so that it looks like the house is occupied. This is just being good neighbours.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 03:25 PM   #15

Trailer: 1978 Boler 13 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by james kent View Post
Sometimes it pays to have lived in the same house for 40 years. When we go away for a few days or longer we let at least two of our neighbours know and they do the same. We all know everyones now grown children and recognize their vehicles. We check each others mail boxes and put their garbage out on the correct day and make sure the lawns are kept up in summer and the drive is cleared in winter. If someone is gone for an extended trip, someone will park a car in their driveway so that it looks like the house is occupied. This is just being good neighbours.
Could be that's just Canadian too
cause we do the same thing!!!
Ann B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 03:34 PM   #16

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann B View Post
Could be that's just Canadian too
cause we do the same thing!!!
Not just Canadians, I have sets of keys to at least 3 neighbors homes and their alarm codes in case of emergencies, it is a matter of trust. Sometimes I'll have to go in to the feed fish or put in a delivered package. They do the same for me. I'm sure we all have heard the horror story about the alarm going off for a malfunction and the people were away in Europe for 3 weeks!! Not in our neighborhood, we go in and turn it off so we can get some sleep!!!
Old 12-19-2010, 09:13 AM   #17

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
I have lived in my home for over 35 years as well. I too, have neighbors who have lived here even longer than me. I have their house keys, they have mine, and we also watch and care for each others homes, pets, etc. I also know that if someone wants to find out something about anyone else, the info is readily available. I know, because I used to be a fire marshal, and that often involves a lot of "detective work." I only attempted to inform folks that, while your info is certainly out there already, some things shouldn't necessarily be "broadcast" to the public-at-large. It's not that you can't be found, but why invite trouble? It is not the members here that I'm concerned about, it is the fact that this forum is not secure and anyone can "listen in" so to speak about what we are doing, and when we will be doing it. To find where you live is easy, to tell people when you are going on a trip (other than your trusted neighbors) is somewhat irresponsible and needlessly reckless with your personal security. But, if the thought of coming home to an empty house appeals to you, then by all means tell the world your name, address, and when you won't be home. It is after all, a personal choice, but I prefer to keep some modicum of personal privacy. The same reason I don't subscribe to any social networking sites such as facebook, twitter, and all the rest.
Your mileage may vary.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 09:20 AM   #18
Commercial Member

Name: Alan
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
South Carolina
Smile Map

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Some of the other forums have a map or some database where owners can see where other members are located. That way, impromptu rally's or meetings can be made. Any way we can start a member/owner database to see how close we maybe to one another and perhaps plan a gathering? What does everyone else think of this idea? If not a map at least request that everyone update their profile to show what state they are located in.
I think that would bew a heck of an idea. If you ever break down thre might be some one near that could offer assiantanc or advice where to get fixed at a reasonable cost. Great Thought
Old Man Snoozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 12:06 PM   #19

Name: Kathie
Trailer: U-HAUL VT16
upstate ny
How about State posting with mid,up, down, western, eastern, central. That gives location but not enough to zero in on someone unless mutual.
kbeale NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 03:09 PM   #20

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
I'm not particularly worried about being found out because it's so easy to do now. Via internet a few years ago I located a cousin with whom I'd had no contact since 1956. Had no idea where he lived or even if he was alive.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote