Marijuana use at Rallies in Canada - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2019, 10:16 AM   #21

Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
Well, I might be one of the few people in this discussion who has actual experience with camping and pot use. I host campouts for a Meetup group in the summer. It's mostly tents but there is usually a few RV's and we don't use official campgrounds. For the most part, people would keep their pot smoking to themselves. It's a lot like cigarette smoking in that it tends to irritate some of the folks around. Once, we were all around the campfire and a guy pulled out a joint, lit it, and passed it around the circle. Some people would take it and have a toke, others would awkwardly pass it to the next person. Everybody seemed to have a sense of humor about it. Another time, we ended up with two campfires--one which was drinking and smoking marijuana and another one where they didn't. A family group with teenage girls showed up and they were politely ushered to the non-indulging circle.

In short, pot use isn't going away and we will all learn to deal with it. Here in Colorado the fastest growing demographic for consumption is older people, who are probably also the biggest group of RV users. There will be issues and situations but a little diplomacy and tact will get us through.
Terry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:18 AM   #22

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
For the duration of the campfire, I don't see sitting around a smokey campfire as any different with a smoker (pot or tobacco) at the campfire. Or any healthier for that matter. From what I can tell, evidence from reputable sources seems to suggest that attending a campfire is far worse than the danger from that smoker next to you.

Not a particularly PC perspective, but **** PC.

A random sample of URLs before I got bored with the search... I make no representation of reputation.
Wood Smoke vs. Cigarette Smoke
https://www.quora.com/How-much-of-a-...igarette-smoke
https://www.epa.gov/burnwise/wood-smoke-and-your-health
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:30 AM   #23

Name: Laura
Trailer: Escape 21' 2nd Gen, picked up on Black Friday 2016
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick crawford View Post
just curious, do you prohibit alcohol at those events?

Exactly! If you're restricting pot, which is legal where you'll be, then you should also restrict alcohol and cigarette/cigar smoking, which is also legal.

www.UnderKittySupervision.com
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 12:24 PM   #24

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
I have been involved in fiberglass rallies for soon to be two decades.
I think this issue will share a lot in common with alcohol.
When we first started, drinkers kept their alcohol somewhat private and mostly only on their own sites.

Then "wine tasting" was introduced as a half hour event before the evening campfire usually one night of the fiberglass event. Then it became every night, then every night until quiet time.
It has become unintentionally devisive since no sober person is comfortable around people who are heavily intocicated.
Ultimately and inevitably Intoxication will change the nature of fiberglass events in an obvious and progressive manner.
Of course that will be seen as a good thing for those who are left in attendance.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 12:49 PM   #25

Name: P
Trailer: Casita
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I have been involved in fiberglass rallies for soon to be two decades.
I think this issue will share a lot in common with alcohol.
When we first started, drinkers kept their alcohol somewhat private and mostly only on their own sites.

Then "wine tasting" was introduced as a half hour event before the evening campfire usually one night of the fiberglass event. Then it became every night, then every night until quiet time.
It has become unintentionally devisive since no sober person is comfortable around people who are heavily intocicated.
Ultimately and inevitably Intoxication will change the nature of fiberglass events in an obvious and progressive manner.
Of course that will be seen as a good thing for those who are left in attendance.
I disagree. I often don't drink whilst others are drinking and it is pretty entertaining to watch your friends making profound observations. Three of us got a kick out of watching two brothers who were a bit inebriated. We got to kid them the next day also. Guess it depends whether you are around people who stay happy whilst imbibing. It would not be fun to be around a mean drunk. Oh, and we watch out for each other so no problem.

Just a caveat for using pot here in the US....even though it is legal in some states, it is still illegal on federal lands. That would be a big chunk of area here in the PNW and CA. Sorry, I know the thread is about Canada, but a lot of folks don't understand the law down here.
slowpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 12:57 PM   #26

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post

I agree that a sober person is uncomfortable around people who are heavily intoxicated. I know I am. Trying to engage in a conversation with a drunk is useless.

But I certainly hope the whole rally scene doesn't turn into a heavily intoxicated scene, And so far, I haven't seen it moving in that direction. An evening cocktail or two, or a couple glasses of wine seems pretty normal and harmless. Light pot smoking can easily go un-noticed. The whole idea of the campfire is to mellow out and have a nice evening with a few friends. I would be pretty embarrassed if my behavior deteriorated and I drove some folks off after having a glass of wine. But I certainly do know some folks who can get belligerent or stupid after a few drinks.

Of course, this is all different than the idea of pot smoking in your own campsite, by yourself. I'm not comfortable with a joint being passed around the circle. It can put people in an awkward position of participating or not, and it's not appropriate to hand a kid a joint.
Old 01-12-2019, 02:24 PM   #27

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
Many folks here in Canada were concerned that once pot was legalized it would become an epidemic but so far not much has changed. Those that used it likely still do. Those that don't likely haven't started just because it's legal. It's regulated much the same as alcohol.

Some campers smoke pot, some smoke tobacco and some drink alcohol. I don't think it has much of an impact on other campers if done in the privacy of one's own campsite.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 02:28 PM   #28

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Handle it the easy way, just say no smoking at group events.

If someone violates that say please take that out of the area or extinguish it if you wish to stay here.

The normal no smoking rule will be sufficient.

You will have to trust in people to act responsibly. If they are obviously out of control then get a couple of of calm negotiator types to move the person out of the area. This is no different than a party at your home where a guest is drunk. You just deal with it kindly and if you can't then have the other people go to their trailers for their own safety and call the Mounties.

The goal is to not escalate situations into real altercations. It is always wiser to say party over than to let it get that far.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 02:41 PM   #29

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
Handle it the easy way, just say no smoking at group events.

If someone violates that say please take that out of the area or extinguish it if you wish to stay here.

The normal no smoking rule will be sufficient.
How do you justify that attitude when the campfire smoke is worse for you than the cigar/cigarette smoke? Especially as it would be second-hand cigarette smoke.

Are you proposing banning campfires as well?
Old 01-12-2019, 03:21 PM   #30

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L. View Post
Are you proposing banning campfires as well?

Good idea.
I have COPD and like to breathe.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:37 PM   #31

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
You mean people are still "smoking" pot? Why would you put that tar in your lungs today? Old hippies? Everyone I know eats gummies.

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 05:14 PM   #32

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
The campfire vs smoking is an interesting debate. Smoking is being banned by governments everywhere; campfires are not. Clearly it's not unusual to make a distinction between the two.

I'm not saying that distinction necessarily makes sense, but it's made all the time, so it's a little odd to call someone out for it here.

Whether it makes rational sense or not, I think everyone can agree that choosing to sit around a campfire or being at a campground where neighbors have fires is one thing. Sitting next to someone who is smoking is another.

The difference? I don't know.

I guess at a campfire everyone has decided they want the campfire. But even in the presence of wood smoke, if the person next to you lights up a cigarette, you might still get annoyed.

Of course wood stoves are being banned in a lot places...

I very occasionally will roll a cigarette. But I don't impose that smoke on anyone else.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 05:24 PM   #33

Used to be that there was free firewood at BC Provincial Parks. Mostly wet from the constant rain; some green.

You couldn't see from one end of the campground to the other for all the smouldering campfires.

We now have forest fires instead.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:34 PM   #34

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
...I'm not saying that distinction necessarily makes sense, but it's made all the time, so it's a little odd to call someone out for it here...
I'm a relatively recent nonsmoker (about a 1-1/2 years) but very definitely not on an anti-smoking crusade. However, hypocrisy is on my hit list and feel-good science and fuzzy logic are some of my hot button issues. I’m not particularly swayed by “it’s done all the time” arguments. Probably because my mother would often tell me, and I’m paraphrasing here, “If everyone else is being a butt-orifice do you have to be one too?”

Anyhooo, everybody gets to do pretty much what they want and that includes my pointing out what I what I think are inconsistencies. No one has to agree with me. Marching to my own drummer and all that...
Old 01-12-2019, 06:37 PM   #35

Smith Valley, Nevada
It's a little silly to compare cigarettes to campfires. Yes smoking is very annoying and I consider it rude, if I have to get up and move away. But I don't go to campfires to get a nicotine fix. I go to campfires to feel the warmth of the fire, watch it develop in the evening and spend some time just being happy I'm where I am and spending time with some friends. Sure, the smoke is not healthy, but I'm not deliberately sucking it in to satisfy an addiction, forcing it on anyone else, or doing it day in and day out, year after year. Just sometimes when on trips. The peace around a warm crackling fire, way out in some remote spot, makes a very nice evening.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:41 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
The peace around a warm crackling fire, way out in some remote spot, makes a very nice evening.

Nice for you, but I can't breathe.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:53 PM   #37

Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Nice for you, but I can't breathe.
Fortunately, there are a lot of other activities available while out camping. Fires are either in individual private campsites, or in a larger group area somewhere. Either one is easily avoided if needed.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:13 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
easily avoided if needed.

That's not been my experience. Which ever way the wind blows.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:25 PM   #39

Registry
I think we've wandered from the OP's question so I think that'll do it for me.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:33 PM   #40

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Hard to argue with well-reasoned views, whether or not I agree with them.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote