Marijuana use at Rallies in Canada - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-17-2019, 02:00 PM   #57

Name: Bruce
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft RQ
Missouri
Ah yes, chemical recreation.

This discussion reminds me of my days as a draftee in the U.S. Army in the early '70s. Prior to my first day in the army marijuana (or any other drugs) did not exist in my world. In the barracks that first night there was much discussion among the recruits about where to get some dope.

Fast forward a few months and I was stationed in West Germany and housed in a barracks with about 160 other men at a Nike Hercules missile site. The officers were housed off site. Being a draftee I had no rank and no authority. Marijuana was not available in Germany. The only available chemical for smoking was hashish which is concentrated from the marijuana plant. It looks like and has the consistency of liquorish candy. A few of the men had a source in Copenhagen and would take the train up there and purchase it by the kilo. It would be brick sized and shaped, and wrapped in aluminum foil. I gathered that the cost was $550.00. This would be brought back to the unit, divided and sold to the users.

The drug itself has an odor and when smoked it has a VERY strong distinctive odor. It doesn't take much. A razor blade is used to shave off a small sliver about like a piece of potato chip 1/2 inch square (the recreationist would pay $10 for that). It was usually smoked in a conventional tobacco pipe. A little tobacco from a cigarette would be mixed with it to make it burn and a small wad of window screen wire was placed in the bottom of the pipe to keep the mixture from being sucked into the stem. The window screens had all been torn out of the barracks.

The Army pay for enlisted men was $220 to $250 per month. Checks were an option but most took it in cash. Most of the smokers ran out of money before the end of the month. This necessitated borrowing money in order to get dope to make it to the end of the month. The interest rate was $10 now for $20 on pay day. Those who were so irresponsible as to not repay their loan on pay day were refused any more hash for the entire month. Plus they got beat up.

Chemical recreationists are always in a quest for a better experience. The other chemical I saw was LSD. It came saturated in the little silver ball candy that you sometimes see sprinkled on cupcakes. Each little silver ball, smaller than a B-B, was called a tab. It sold for $1. Some opted for this chemical adventure.

Nike Hercules missiles are no longer in use. A portion of the missiles at the location at that time were armed with nuclear warheads. To keep them ready for immediate use required a lot of service and maintenance, some of it daily. As well, by virtue of the fact that they were nuclear weapons, the facility required extensive 24 hour armed security. In the event there was ever a need to launch any of them, the missile crewmen had a lot of things to do and get right in a very short period of time.

There were 160 men assigned to do all of this. The months went by. A lot of games of cards and chess were played. A lot of dope got smoked. Everyone knew everyone. One evening a discussion got started about how many were smokers? Someone got out some paper and a pen and the names of all of the men were written down. It was unknown how many of the officers were smokers. But going down the list, the enlisted men who were known smokers were counted. 84% were and 16% were not. I was not.

I had absolutely no choice about being housed with those idiots. I am glad the world didn't blow up. That was 47 years ago. Don't smoke any dope around me.

Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 02:52 PM   #58

Name: Zach
Trailer: 91 Bigfoot 17
Montana
Registry
Funny how different people's life experiences can be, all of them valid.

I've seen a lot of different stuff. Lazy couch potato stoners who blew all their money on weed, cable, pizza and beer. Super-motivated people who smoked all the time, but especially before studying and taking exams because it just dropped their mind activity level down enough that they could actually focus, and had straight A's all through college and great careers now.

A lot depends on what type of person you are to begin with.

As we've seen, even people who avoid any kind of drug, including alcohol, can be more dangerous than any stoner out there.

ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:45 PM   #59

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
  • People often have difficulty separating that which is rational from that which is merely rationalization.

Truth is immutable, consensus is fickle, and another five pages of this would violate the very principle of moderation so many here have espoused!.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 07:03 AM   #60

Name: Jim
Trailer: Bigfoot
Texas
Registry
In consideration of the title of the post, I believe only the opinions Canadians have any merit in this discussion.
That does not include me, so please ignore this post.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:53 AM   #61

Name: K C
Trailer: 1971 Trailswest Campster
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by widgetwizard View Post
In consideration of the title of the post, I believe only the opinions Canadians have any merit in this discussion.
That does not include me, so please ignore this post.

You are right of course, but they don't have to worry about our opinions because no upstanding patriotic USA citizen would go ever go there for an FGRV rally now that the county is over run with pot. Obviously we are going to need a wall up north to match the one down south.

Fortunately at the moment I am not upstanding as I am lying down.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 10:20 AM   #62

Name: Steve
Trailer: Casita 17 ft DLX SD & 21 ft SOB
NW Wisconsin
We were considering attending a couple of Canadian FG rallies this summer but if they are going to be nothing more than a repeat of a bad Cheech & Chong movie then we will just stay home . We avoid visiting parts of the US for reasons I won’t mention and I hate the idea of having to add Canada to that list .
We live in Wisconsin and have witnessed the damage caused by the belief that you can’t have fun unless you drink mass quantities of alcohol .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 12:11 PM   #63

Name: Bill
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Pot Smoking

Being a Canadian I can tell you first hand it is a BIG problem. People are smoking that stuff in public all the time. Outside of restaurants, at the hockey games, walking down the street and at the camp grounds. It not like cigar smoke or other annoying smells, that smoke contains THC which is a drug and certainly not for children to be inhaling. The latest research indicate children exposed to THC have brain development problems. I don't want to be inhaling their second hand smoke either and why people do not mind smelling like a skunk is beyond my reasoning. Solutions: ask nicely, build a big smokey camp fire and their smoke is less evident, go inside and close the windows until it passes. Eventually the laws will change and pot smokers will have more restrictions, but for now we depend on the kindness of neighbors to be responsible. Police do not want to waste their time on this problem as the courts do not precedents established and they do not want to jam up the system with they believe to a bad notion of the government. Mostly Canadians are nice and when there is a good reason (children in area) they will likely take their smoking away from your camp site and go for a walk elsewhere.
Bill Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 12:20 PM   #64

Trailer: Casita 16 ft
Texas
Pot for Seniors

The reason for making pot illegal is that it turns you brain into mush in ten years.

For us Seniors over 70, that's probably going to happen anyway whether or not you smoke/drink anything.

A friend in NY with Arthritis got good pain relief after the state legalized it.

Most pot smokers I know get calm and mellowed out when under the influence as opposed to alcoholics that get troublesome when drunk.

About all we do is a couple glasses of wine with a bowl of popcorn while sitting in the lawn chairs before calling it a night. We have some Community coffee cups for use in a tee-totaler campground.
Friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 03:09 PM   #65

Name: P
Trailer: Casita
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
We were considering attending a couple of Canadian FG rallies this summer but if they are going to be nothing more than a repeat of a bad Cheech & Chong movie then we will just stay home . We avoid visiting parts of the US for reasons I won’t mention and I hate the idea of having to add Canada to that list .
We live in Wisconsin and have witnessed the damage caused by the belief that you can’t have fun unless you drink mass quantities of alcohol .
Please pass this on. Yes, we Warshington folks are all pot heads so please avoid here. It makes it less crowded that way.

I use a cream with pot and good stuff in it. It makes aches go away. It does not make one stoned or high. It does make one feel better because you are not achy. I hate the thought of not being able to travel with it. Ibuprofen is so much healthier....
slowpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 04:21 PM   #66

Name: Zach
Trailer: 91 Bigfoot 17
Montana
Registry
By the way Bruce, cool stories! Sounds like an interesting time in your life.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 08:13 PM   #67

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Nothing has changed in Canada since legalization other than the use of pot no longer makes you a criminal. Those that used it before still do, and those that didn't still don't.

Basically it has been a non-event.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 11:27 PM   #68

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
I would have to agree with Moderator Jim.
Nothing has changed.
No "Reefer Madness".
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 07:10 AM   #69

Name: Mike
Trailer: ITM
Florida
Absolutely!!! I would like to find the idiot that invented those annoying disgustingly noisy leaf blowers and change his mind.
zorrou812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 10:11 AM   #70

Name: A&B
Trailer: 2011 Casita SD
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L View Post
No "Reefer Madness".
THIS^^^^^^^^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Nothing has changed in Canada since legalization