Marijuana use at Rallies in Canada - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2019, 12:54 PM   #1

Name: Claire
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Registry
Marijuana use at Rallies in Canada

Okay, Let's make this clear from the start. This is NOT against smokers or pot users. This is a thread about solving problems. I do not want any rants, only helpful advice.

I co-lead a trailer group. I would like to know what other leaders are planning, here in Canada, now that Pot is legal.

We are a family friendly group and like to encourage children at our events. Children and Pot do not mix. Pot is banned from most public areas in cities etc where children will be, and the campgrounds I have talked to are using the same policy. However, an individual campsite is considered private space and they cannot ban the use of Pot in a site unless they ban it from the whole campground.

How are you planning to handle this?
Old 01-11-2019, 01:35 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Unless you own the campground, I don't think it's up to you.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:46 PM   #3

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
I'd say the same way as alcohol: responsibly.

Smoking would be a no-no, just like with cigarettes, since there's the second-hand effect. But any edibles are 100% ok so long as they're inaccessible to children, same with alcohol.

At least with pot, unlike alcohol, you don't need to worry about kids dying if they get into it.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 01:54 PM   #4

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Unless the campground rules state it is smoke and/or pot free there isn't a whole lot you can do as Glenn says. The only advice I have would be to handle it on a case by case basis. Have anyone in your group that has an issue come to you or any other leader of the group, talk civilly to the offending party and as a last resort complain to the campground owner. Other than that, there isn't a lot you can do if the rules don't preclude the activity.

Worst case, vote with your wallet. Find a different campground that is smoke and pot free for the next time.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 02:46 PM   #5

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Claire View Post

We are a family friendly group and like to encourage children at our events. Children and Pot do not mix. Pot is banned from most public areas in cities etc where children will be, and the campgrounds I have talked to are using the same policy. However, an individual campsite is considered private space and they cannot ban the use of Pot in a site unless they ban it from the whole campground.
I don't see what the problem is. Since the campsite is considered private, why is the behavior there so important to others? If you have children, won't you be able to keep them out of other's campsites? Children and tobacco, and children and alcohol don't mix either, but have been in close proximity for generations with very little eyebrow raising. Also, I'm assuming the concern is directed at use for pleasure, but what about medical use?
Old 01-11-2019, 02:55 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I understand your concerns. I too host a couple of egg gatherings a year in Oregon and Oregon has recreation use Marijuana laws. I don't tell people what they can do in their own sites, that is up to campground rules. BUT, I rule the roost when it comes to the gathering in a public space... like the potlucks, etc. I really only have two rules under that circumstance. No smoking of anything where it bothers others and no talking politics! So far, no problems... I haven't even had to mention it. I've found people who attend these gatherings to be reasonable and self-ruling for the good of others. Good luck!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 03:03 PM   #7

Montana
Are you wondering about rules regarding those in your group enjoying marijuana, or those outside your group?

In the case of those outside, I agree with the other posts. Nothing you can do. In the case of your people, I think it's reasonable to have a "no smoking" policy except in your own trailer, and a "common sense" policy when it comes to edibles and buds. If you don't have a common sense policy on alcohol, like "don't leave a bottle of whiskey sitting out unattended", then I don't see any reason to make one for pot. But laying out common sense rules, including for weed, makes perfect sense to me so it's probably a good idea.

I know you don't want a rant, but, well, you don't get to make the rules So my short rant is that pot and children only don't mix if alcohol and children don't mix. The idea that drinking around kids is totally wholesome but somehow pot isn't is a way of thinking which is going to fade over time as people get used to it being legal. Marijuana kills some brain cells and using it too often stifles motivation. Alcohol kills approximately 88,000 people per year in the US alone. Ranking third on the list of preventable deaths. Tobacco ranks #1.

My point only being, I've never seen a post here about alcohol or tobacco use at a rally, both of which are in a different league from pot.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:07 PM   #8

You could make pot your theme at your next rally. Better than dressing up as clowns.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2019-01-11 at 2.09.08 PM.jpg  
Old 01-11-2019, 04:23 PM   #9

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Surely OP is wondering about rules she would make for her own group. I agree that whatever rules govern alcohol and tobacco use would be appropriate. Anything beyond that is uncalled for. If it was my group, I'd be more inclined to regulate smoky campfires, tacky lawn art and exterior lights left on all night. Almost forgot barking dogs, pooping dogs, generators and leaf blowers (yes, there are folks who use them.)
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 04:45 PM   #10

Montana
Agreed!
Old 01-11-2019, 04:50 PM   #11

Name: Bruce & Kathryn
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RQ
North Carolina
Perhaps that’s why they are called “pot luck” dinners.....
Bruce Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 05:26 PM   #12

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I enjoy smoking a cigar while sitting around an evening campfire
I don’t worry about what others are doing because I can barely take care of myself
The idea of campground behavior police strikes me as rather odd .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 05:31 PM   #13

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Rules for pot smoke should parallel cigarette smoke as far as where it is allowed, and rules for consumption should mirror those of alcohol.

There was so much concern by a lot of folks when pot became legal that so many bad things would happen, but they all soon found that nothing really changed.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 06:16 PM   #14

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
I think it is up to the campground to set the rules... I host a Rally where even alcohol is not allowed in the public areas but on the sites it is OK as long as it's not abused.
The owners lost a son due to a drunk driver.
So if the state where I hold my rally, NH, ever legalizes "pot" I am sure the owner of the campground will take action as to update the rules.
So I believe it is up to the owners to allow or disallow it.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 07:44 PM   #15

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post
If it was my group, I'd be more inclined to regulate tacky lawn art
Come on! Pink flamingos too?
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:59 PM   #16

Name: Laura
Trailer: Escape 21' 2nd Gen, picked up on Black Friday 2016
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post
If it was my group, I'd be more inclined to regulate smoky campfires,

Especially when it's windy! Ack!

If there were lawn cats like the lawn flamingos (pink plastic kind), I'd be all over them and decorating like crazy with 'em.

www.UnderKittySupervision.com
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:39 PM   #17

Name: P
Trailer: Casita
Washington
I live in an area where pot is now legally grown and at first, there was talk about making our county a pot destination. Having pot around makes for ice breaker conversation--"Is that pot or a skunk I am smelling?"
slowpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:54 PM   #18

I think pot luck dinners should be illegal.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:44 PM   #19

Name: Mac
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' LD
Oregon
I pretty much agree with everyone else - we have social norms for smoking and drinking, and they apply perfectly to this. Let common sense be your guide. I'm not even sure it bears mention. Everyone I've met at rallies tend to be well-behaved and responsible - I mean, look, they recognize value well enough to buy fiberglass trailers!
Spongelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 09:13 AM   #20

Trailer: Casita Patriot
Registry
interesting topic. my take on this is that for a long time there's been pot at campgrounds regardless of legality. i've not heard or seen any problems caused by this. i'd expect that alcohol has and will be an issue. i seriously doubt that the weed smokers will get all in your face with their consumption. you could certainly make rally rules that prohibit consumption at organized events. just curious, do you prohibit alcohol at those events?

p@
patrick crawford is offline   Reply With Quote