WI Midwest Egg Rally - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2010, 09:11 AM   #1

Trailer: 2010 17 ft Escape B ('Cafe Egg')
Registry
Midwest Egg Rally

Cindy, we definitely should start a Midwest Egg Rally. I already suggested this to the two other guys from Wisconsin who got their Escape trailers delivered this month. Such a rally would give a perfect excuse to do a camp cook out. I could be responsible for the German Smores, and you all could whip up the main course or some sides! I would love that! We could start with a simple NOG style rally in 2011! We certainly have many beautiful State Parks nearby...
Gerda, H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 03:54 PM   #2

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Gerda.

We have looked into this. We thought Galena with all it has to do but the campground we checked was dirty with rude employees. We checked Volo,I'LL but did not like the campground. We like places with things to do and a clean campground. We liked Stoughton, WI but did not get around to checking out the campground. Greg and Bill found a really nice campground, the Rustic Barn in Keeler. That is near Dubuque and Galena. We talked to the lady who owns it but have not carried through yet. Thoughts?

Cindy
Old 05-29-2010, 08:12 AM   #3

Registry
We didn't consider Lanesboro, because there was one there already. Since they moved to Lacrosse this year (and create a problem for us for scheduling since school has started), that is a good idea. I don't know if the change is permanent though.

CindyL
Old 07-20-2010, 06:40 PM   #4

Registry
CindyL, I finally get the chance to chime in with my thoughts. I think we should opt for one of the nice state parks. The Backbone state park in Iowa is gorgeous. Maybe we could also go to one of those parks located at Lake Michigan in either Wisconsin or Michigan. I will test two of them located in Wisconsin this summer, during weekends.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:47 PM   #5

Trailer: 1975 Boler 1300
Quote:
CindyL, I finally get the chance to chime in with my thoughts. I think we should opt for one of the nice state parks. The Backbone state park in Iowa is gorgeous. Maybe we could also go to one of those parks located at Lake Michigan in either Wisconsin or Michigan. I will test two of them located in Wisconsin this summer, during weekends.

Hi - keep posting when you find a location; I'd love to come down.
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:03 AM   #6

Registry
I am not sure when this can happen, probably not until 2012. However, I think I will look into a location in NE Iowa near the town where we lived for many years, Elkader, which is not far from Backbone. Backbone is where where I used to take the kids swimming when they were little, but the camping areas in Backbone do not have water. I prefer water and electric.

Most people think of Iowa as flat. NE Iowa is filled with bluffs, trees that turn even more beautiful in fall, trout streams, canoeing rivers, etc. There is a lot to do too, antiquing, biking, canoeing, exploring parks like Pikes Peak, Effigy Mounds, gambling in the riverboat, watching theatrical shows in a beautiful restored opera house in Elkader, etc.

CindyL

Old 07-21-2010, 09:23 PM   #7

Registry
Elkader sounds like a nice idea! I am totally open for that as well. The Deer Run Resort in Elkader looks like a nice campground, and I am sure there is more. I agree on Iowa, it has beautiful areas and is by no any means just flat! Iowa is also a very well kept state, as in clean and neat. I just always love it visiting my friend in Lamont, and going camping.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:58 PM   #8

Trailer: 1991 Scamp 16 ft
I'd always be up for a trip to my home state of Iowa! Go Panthers!

1991 Scamp 16'
Bryan L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:28 AM   #9

Registry
Aha, a fellow UNI grad. Both the hubby and I are grads too. However, I also graduated from Iowa. Go Hawks!

Gerda, the Deer Run Resort looks nice, except it looks as if the spaces are tight with few trees. I know the area - my husband was the Elkader baseball coach for many years, and the ball field is right there. I wish the city park did reservations. They have mature trees and I don't think are not as squeezed in. That being said, I don't want to make a decision without looking at Deer Run first. It has been a while since I was there. The floods in the 90s wiped that area out. You could catch fish at Deer Run and on the baseball field.

I was looking at Spook Cave Campground. It is off the beaten path (up a gravel road) but accessible to McGregor with its antique stores (McGregor has a vintage clothing store that has provided movie costumes. Kevin needs to complete his Edwardian costume.), Marquette's gambling boat (for those who go for that) and Effigy Mounds, Elkader's antique stores, golf course, dining places, and Opera House (Yes, I know Elkader better, because we lived there many years.), and even Backbone.

I guess we need a trip home to look at campgrounds. I don't know about dates. The issue is that I have tenure papers to pull together next summer.

CindyL
Old 08-30-2010, 04:09 PM   #10

Trailer: 1989 Scamp 13 ft
Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerda, H View Post
Cindy, we definitely should start a Midwest Egg Rally. I already suggested this to the two other guys from Wisconsin who got their Escape trailers delivered this month. Such a rally would give a perfect excuse to do a camp cook out. I could be responsible for the German Smores, and you all could whip up the main course or some sides! I would love that! We could start with a simple NOG style rally in 2011! We certainly have many beautiful State Parks nearby...
Would this be the closest group for anyone interested in Michigan?
Marty Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:34 AM   #11

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Governor Dodge State Park

In my tent camping days in Wisconsin, I seem to remember

Governor Dodge State Park as being nice.

http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/parks/spe...ovdcampmap.pdf

Also Wyalusing.

http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/parks/spe...singcamp05.pdf

Just a thought.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 05:52 AM   #12

Trailer: 2010 Trillium 13 ft (California-made)
Registry
A couple of years ago we had a lovely stay at Palisades-Kepler State Park near Cedar Rapids, Iowa. IA DNR: State Parks,Palisades-Kepler State Park

Maggie in Vermont
Old 09-02-2010, 10:23 AM   #13

Trailer: 2006 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / 1993 Surburban
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie R. View Post
A couple of years ago we had a lovely stay at Palisades-Kepler State Park near Cedar Rapids, Iowa. IA DNR: State Parks,Palisades-Kepler State Park

Maggie in Vermont
The Lanesboro event was moved to Lacrosse to spark more interest, Next fall it will be the Scamp owners turn to Host the event. ( note we use to have two fall events in the area and decided the turn out would be better if we alternated events )

So if you would like to put the fall event on in 2012, I would not be upset. Some new blood never hurts.

Jim H
Jim Hovind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 02:57 PM   #14

Registry
No, Jim, if I do it, the date will be different. The September date actually squeezes me, because school has started. I would probably put one that I would be involved with in May or June. I see no reason why there can't be more.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 02:31 AM   #15

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
We would be there if someone wants to have an event in Iowa!! Bill and Greg
William Schumacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 07:50 AM   #16

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
Hi Cindy,

A (late) May/June date would be great for me! I teach pre-school from Sept - 3rd week of May. I'd love to go to some of these meet-ups coming up in Sept/Oct, but can't ask for time off when it's just starting up
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:01 AM   #17

Registry
Well, we just spent a lovely day in McGregor, IA, antiquing, searching elements for a Victorian costume for Kevin, and watching a shootout reenactment. We checked out Pike's Peak campground -/only about 15 reservable/electric spots. We did not stop at Spook Cave; I wish we had. It looked promising and close to McGregor. You can bike next to the Mississippi, go to Effigy Mounds, antique, etc.

Anyone able to check out Spook Cave or Paradise Valley?

CindyL
Old 09-23-2010, 10:28 PM   #18

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
Gerda.

We have looked into this. We thought Galena with all it has to do but the campground we checked was dirty with rude employees. We checked Volo,I'LL but did not like the campground. We like places with things to do and a clean campground. We liked Stoughton, WI but did not get around to checking out the campground. Greg and Bill found a really nice campground, the Rustic Barn in Keeler. That is near Dubuque and Galena. We talked to the lady who owns it but have not carried through yet. Thoughts?

Cindy
There's a nice campground at Dubuque IA just across from Gelena. There is also the MOST WONDERFUL mississippi river museum there, and dinner cruise on the river at a good rate.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 04:42 AM   #19

Registry
Name? Dubuque is my old stomping grounds; I used to work there and have an aunt who still lives there.

CindyL
Old 09-24-2010, 06:10 AM   #20

Name: mona
Trailer: Casita, 16 foot
Wisconsin
Mid-West Rally

Please give Cedarburg WI some thought. Lots to do locally and, in addition, Milwaukee is just 23 miles south on I-43.

We have a Fair Ground on the north side of town where rallys have been held in the past. (Airstream and so forth)

Harrigton Beach is a state park 25 miles to the North with camping facilities. TerriAndrae is another state park south of Sheboygan and it is very large...but popular.

Just a thought.....Mona Simpson
mona simpson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eggcamper