Nebraska ScampCamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2008, 08:38 PM   #1

Trailer: 98 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I am posting this for Doris Lawson the host. The ScampCamp will be at Pioneer Village at Minden, NE just 12 miles south of Kearney on I-80(exit 279). To make reservations call Pioneer Village at 1-800-445-4447 tell them you are with the ScampCamp. There are some large site that can be shared.
After you make reservations please call Doris Lawson at 1-319-5719 and let her know you are coming, your site number, where you are from, and the type of camper you have.

All are welcome.
Pat G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 06:20 PM   #2

Things to see in the area Harold Warp Pioneer Village has more than 50000 historical items depict America's progress since 1830. Displays in 26 buildings include 350 antique automobiles, trucks, motorcycles, snowmobiles and 100 restored tractors, 20 airplanes, early wood-burning locomotives, paintings, china, cut glass and pottery. The historic structures include a log cabin, an original Pony Express station, a general store stocked with 19th-century merchandise, an 1872 railway depot, a government land office, Minden's first church, a country school and a sod house. Period rooms depict the lifestyle of each generation since 1830. According to AAA this is a gem. Admission is $10.50 and may be good for 2 consecutive days.

Another gem in the area is The Great Platte River Road Archway in Kearney. The pioneers' westward journey along the Great Platte River Road is re-created with a variety of interactive exhibits that allows visitors to join a wagon train and experience a prairie crossing, a buffalo stampede and a stopover at a frontier fort. Other depictions include the Mormon trail, the Pony Express, a harrowing stagecoach ride,completion of the transcontinental railroad, early tourist cabins along the Lincoln Highway and establishment of the interstate highway system. Additional features include an interactive human maze and a hike-n-bike trail. Picnicking is permitted. Admission is $10.00; $8.50 for age 62+. This is according to AAA.

I will post more information when I get.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:39 PM   #3

Other things in Kearney area are:Museum of Nebraska Art. Admission is free.

Trail and Rail Museum with exhibits & collections-historical; Exhibits & Collections-Vehicles; Historic buildings/houses; Railroads-Locomotives/cars. Admission $2.00

Fort Kearny State Park historical Park include a stockade replica and reconstructed sod blacksmith shop and powder magazine. There is a slide show at the visitor center and a self-guiding walking tour. Admission is $4.00 per private vehicle.

Elm Creek has Chevyland U.S.A. A collection of more than 110 vintage Chevrolets-all restored in original condition-dates1914-1975. Admission $6.00.

Holdrege has Nebraska Prairie Museum. The WWII German POW Interpretive Center houses artifacts, documents and photos that depict Camp Atlanta, a prison that was southwest of town. Other exhibits include farm machinery, period clothing, a church, a school and house. Admission $5.00

All this is within 25 miles of Minden NE.

Also in Kearney area is Cookbooks by Morris Press. One of the country's largest cookbook publishers invite us to visit their shop "Leafie Mae's Kitchen" to browse through thousands of overrun cookbooks. These are cookbooks from communities across the USA. This shop is in the same area as Cabela's.

Old 04-05-2008, 09:50 AM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Candi Woods
When?
Candi Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 10:18 AM   #5

Quote:
When?

Nevermind, I looked where I should have in the first place. I found out.
Old 04-06-2008, 05:58 PM   #6

Candi;

If May 29-June 1, 2008 work for you We will all be glad to see you. If the dates don't work for you keep in mind the thing to see in the area. Let me guess you are from the area. It wouldn't be the first time I put my foot in my mouth. This will be my first trip to Nebraska and I am really looking forward to the trip.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Candi;

If May 29-June 1, 2008 work for you We will all be glad to see you. If the dates don't work for you keep in mind the thing to see in the area. Let me guess you are from the area. It wouldn't be the first time I put my foot in my mouth. This will be my first trip to Nebraska and I am really looking forward to the trip.
Hi Pat!

Yes, I am from the area and the timing is just fine for me. Not sure about the kids and hubby but I'll be working on them to wear em thin. It's still a little cool here so it's hard to get them into the spring camping mood until it gets into the 90'sF. I don't understand it, our car drives through snow just fine.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Hi Pat!

Yes, I am from the area and the timing is just fine for me. Not sure about the kids and hubby but I'll be working on them to wear em thin. It's still a little cool here so it's hard to get them into the spring camping mood until it gets into the 90'sF. I don't understand it, our car drives through snow just fine.
Actually, I'm quite impressed with the list of activities you have compiled. We've lived here for a while and still haven't done all of the things you mentioned. I think it's right about time.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:15 PM   #9

Trailer: 1976 13 ft Scamp / 2006 Honda Element
Aw heck... a week sooner or later... and we would have been there. We're in Omaha.

My son graduates from high school that weekend.
HustonFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 07:38 PM   #10

Hi Candi;

We got up this morning to 4 inches of new snow. It looked beautiful BUT we are tired of it. I want to clean and pack the trailer. We will be going to Nebraska ScampCamp and then North to visit family and then to Grand Marais MN for the Fiberglass gathering. We may visit more family and then to the energy fair near Custer WI.

Huston family- Last Scampcamp in Nebraska we have grandchildren graduating middle school or high school. Next year we have two graduating from high school. So I know dates don't always line up the way we would like.

Happy camping
Old 04-17-2008, 08:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Hi Candi;

We got up this morning to 4 inches of new snow. It looked beautiful BUT we are tired of it. I want to clean and pack the trailer. We will be going to Nebraska ScampCamp and then North to visit family and then to Grand Marais MN for the Fiberglass gathering. We may visit more family and then to the energy fair near Custer WI.

Huston family- Last Scampcamp in Nebraska we have grandchildren graduating middle school or high school. Next year we have two graduating from high school. So I know dates don't always line up the way we would like.

Happy camping

I'm so sorry that I didn't reply to this message sooner Last week was a busy one for me, my birthday, my twin sister's birthday and my daughter's birthday, all on the same day. This week is a sigh of relief...

Today it was sleeting, but only for a little while until it turned into rain. I'm so thankful for the rain, makes my peas very happy.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:56 AM   #12

Candi;

Belated Happy Birthday. Yesterday was one of our daughters Birthday. I took her out to lunch and we visited for about 1 1/2 hour be fore she went to work.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:43 PM   #13

TENATIVE SCHEDULE
For
SCAMPCAMP
MINDEN NE
May 29, 2008 - June1, 2008

This is a tentative schedule for Minden:

For the Pot Lucks bring your plate, flatware, napkin and drink. You may also need a chair.

Thursday: Pot Luck- Doris our host will provide Sloppy Joe’s and we will provide the side dishes.

Friday: About 5:00 PM - There will be a Dutch oven demo.
Pot Luck about 5:30 PM. We will build camp stew during the day. Lyndon Laney is the chief Cook. We will use one pot, one recipe Lyndon’s. Lyndon will bring the meat and spices. We can talk to Lyndon about what he needs, potatoes, onions, and carrots? We can stop by during the day to
Help and visit. Side dishes and desserts are also needed.
7:00PM- card bingo

Saturday: afternoon, time to be arranged, tech. session and trailer tours. 5:30 PM- those that would like to go out to diner will meet at the Pioneer Village Restaurant.

This is the tentative schedule.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:45 AM   #14

Trailer: 13 ft U-Haul and 16 ft Amerigo
Friday: About 5:00 PM - There will be a Dutch oven demo.

Pat, I will be cooking a dessert as part of the demo.

Geary Gowins

gearyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 12:38 PM   #15

Hi Geary;

Doris told me there would be a demo but not who was doing it. I hope I can watch. Doris said we can't have a campfire because we are in town. I don't know what the campground has for grills it any. How do you do a dutch oven dish in a case like this?

We will all see you next week.
have a safe trip
Old 05-20-2008, 02:52 PM   #16

Trailer: 13 ft U-Haul and 16 ft Amerigo
Quote:
Hi Geary;

Doris told me there would be a demo but not who was doing it. I hope I can watch. Doris said we can't have a campfire because we are in town. I don't know what the campground has for grills it any. How do you do a dutch oven dish in a case like this?

We will all see you next week.
have a safe trip

Stop by next week and I will show you the setup. I do not normally use a grill.

Geary
gearyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 06:21 PM   #17

I will try to be there. I am packing the trailer for our first trip this year. The trailer was put away for seven long months.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:29 AM   #18

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
We had a great meet in Minden, NE. Around 20 trailers in attendence. It was a little hairy last Thursday when the weather rolled through. Our largest nearby town was Kearny about 20 miles away and got hit hard by a tornado. Even yesterday there were portions of town that were without power. Lots of old trees down and roof damage. Fortunately no loss of life.

At Minden we could see the nasty clouds all around. Doris made sure we had a shelter in case of weather. We had been thinking about playing Card Bingo so when the weather rolled in off we went to a conference room in the basement of the motel. We had fun playing Card Bingo.

The first night Doris had provided Sloppy Joe's and we all brought the fixing. Saturday, I think, Lyndon had a stew pot that we all added veggies to. It was great. Harold Warp's Pioneer Village where we were camped was great. It's hard to imagine how he could have accumulated so much stuff.

Great job, Doris!!!
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote