NM New Mexico Rally! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-14-2015, 07:24 PM   #15
Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp 19 5'er
We're in southern Colorado and would be interested. Places we like include: Wild Rivers (Questa), Bandelier, Chama, Taos, Eagles Nest. We will be checking out Sugarite Canyon SP in a few weeks, hopefully. Never been there, but like Raton.

In southern CO......Pagosa Springs, Ouray, (Durango is good, but has become so touristy), Mesa Verde, Lathrop State Park, other locations in that area.....La Veta, Trinidad Lake SP (although the lake isn't much these days), Westcliff.

Lots of others, too.....we are truly blessed with so much scenic beauty!!

piperjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 08:10 PM   #16
Name: Jack L
Trailer: Bigfoot B-17 CB

I experienced the road to Chaco Canyon 23 years ago so this post does not represent any first hand knowledge of the current road conditions now. We were visiting our friends Donna and Ray in Albuquerque and planned a day trip to Chaco Canyon in our friends one week old Ford Explorer. In addition to Donna and Ray and Kathi, my wife, we also had our friends infant daughter Brittany in the group.

It was summer and we thought we would be on a 3 hour tour. Sort of like Gilligan when he went to the island. The trip into the park was enjoyable. The dirt part of the road was rough and bumpy but the new Explorer performed flawlessly.

We arrived at the park and were thrilled with everything. The ruins were readily accessible and incredible. Ray and I decided to take a hike but the wives and baby stayed closer to the car and park headquarters. The beginning of the hike was nice until we got to some wonderful petroglyphs that had been vandalized. Some moron named Jayson decided to scratch an image of a 57 Chevy over some ancient artwork . He even signed his work ! Things like this just make me sick. Note to Jayson, If I ever have the good fortune to meet you I absolutely guarantee you that my size 13 foot will have a firm and direct impact on your posterior !! We continued our hike and enjoyed the beautiful scenery. Our hike was cut short because it started to rain and it looked like it was going to get worse from the look of the sky. By the time we got back to the Explorer it was raining pretty hard. The wives were waiting in the car and the weather was looking to get worse and we had a very bad thunderstorm. The lightening was incredible and beautiful. We decided to head back to Albuquerque.

We left the park and when we got to the dirt road it was a sea of mud. I mean sticky, slippery mud about 4 inches deep. The 4WD Explorer handled it beautifully. We were only concerned with getting the vehicle dirty but the situation got worse quickly. We were moving along slowly and carefully but when we got over a small rise we had several vehicles ahead that were stuck and could not get going. We stopped to help which involved leaving the comfort of the Explorer and pushing the first stuck vehicle, then moving to the second and finally third vehicle before we could get back to our vehicle. After pushing all 3 vehicles we had so much mud on our feet and legs it was impossible to get clean before we got back into the Explorer. A few minutes later the first vehicle got stuck again which caused the other 2 to get stuck again. We finally made it back to paved road and in the process met some nice people but we sure got muddy. There was a time when we wondered if we would have to spend the night in the Explorer but we did manage to get out and back to Albuquerque. Cleaning the outside and inside of the truck was a major project.

I would love to return to Chaco Canyon and spend several days. I would definitely take my trailer but I would sure drive slowly and I would absolutely stay off the unpaved road if there was much rainfall.

Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 10:16 PM   #17
Name: Deb
Trailer: 13 ft. Scamp
Count me in on rallies in the four corners area! It will be my first summer using my camper. Chaco is a must see, but it has been a long time since I drove the road and never with a trailer. Campground is beautiful as well as the ruins. You don't want to go with any possibility of rain. The road is a slick mess when wet.
Durangodeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 01:46 PM   #18
Name: Gail
Trailer: 1975 Trillium
North Carolina
NM Rally

Yes, would like to know if something's taking place. Might be in CO anyway this summer visiting family. Haven't seen a whole lot of NM and would love to come again.
Gail H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 10:17 PM   #19
Name: Guy
Trailer: Casita LD & Coleman 1805
Sounds great. Put me on the notification list when you have a date(s).
Guy Larimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 09:04 PM   #20
Name: Randi
Trailer: Burro
New Jersey
I will be on NM the beginning of May, and would love to meet up with some of you.
Randi in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 09:31 PM   #21
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
John, just pick a date and pick a place then ADVERTISE. Rally's can start small. Hey, two trailer show up at the same time that's a rally! Just remember, you can't please all the people all the time. If this is your GIG, make it easy for you... others will follow if they can.
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 08:45 AM   #22
Name: Frank
Trailer: Hunter 1 1974
F and V Atencio

Yes, we are interested in rallies in Southern Colorado and Northern New Mexico. After dates and locations are posted, we'll make plans to attend. Thank you!
sandunes123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 10:08 PM   #23
Name: Ron
Trailer: Casita

I will be in southern CO, northern NM 2nd and 3rd weeks of August. I"m interested and will watch for dates if all comes together for that timing.

Ron H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 11:48 AM   #24
Name: Patti
Trailer: 1984 UHaul CT13
John, post dates when you have them. I'm on the western slope and would be interested.
keekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 02:09 PM   #25
Name: Jim & Kathy
Trailer: Escape
Northern Colorado
We are interested too !
...2009 Escape 5.0
...2013 Nissan Frontier
jrbowers07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 07:26 PM   #26
Name: Becky
Trailer: Scamp 19 Foot 5th Wheel
We are definitely interested.
beckyruns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 11:15 AM   #27
Name: Cathy
Trailer: Trails West
I am interested and following! Hoping to get to Colorado in late July and spend several weeks in CO & NM
Cathy in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 10:54 PM   #28
Name: Andy
Trailer: U Haul
New Mexico
count me in

I'd love it as I live in Corrales (NM) and I only get a few days off at a time so I'm limited by distance.
Chaco, is pretty awesome but it can be impassible if the road gets to wet.

renaissance1415 is offline   Reply With Quote