NO MORE FIRE!...NotaRallyReally - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2006, 08:36 PM   #1

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
RALLY IS NOT CANCELED, HIWAY REOPENED!! COME ON UP!

OK.. time for my yearly not official short notice So. Cal NotaRally.

This year, Labor Day weekend (Hey thats weekend after next!) Fred Simson in his Fiberstream, and my wee little self in my Burro will be near the top of the San Gorgornio wilderness at Heart Bar campground.

It's just off of hiway 38, about 30 miles up from the Inland Valley. Quite the scenic drive in itself, the only civilization you run into once out of Redlands is the small berg of Angelus Oaks. Don't blink, it's about a block long. Other than that, it's all nature, following the canyons of the Santa Ana river. The elevation is 6900 ft.

Heart Bar is a large (94 sites) semi developed campground that overlooks both Meadows and Ridges. It is in a heavily treed area of Pines, Cedars and Aspens. This campground is set up for those that like a flat spot to park thier trailer on, and has very large and clean sites, but not much of anything else. It is a Forest Service campground, intended for "camping", with no ammenities of the modern world. There is water available and there are pit toilets, but no electric or dump station. The closest store is in Big Bear, 20 miles away, so it's bring everything or do long commutes to get your supplies.

Even on the busiest Holiday weekends, I have never seen this place full. To repeat a recommendation, there is no such thing as a bad site here, some are just better than others. Most are NOT reservable, and only a few in the less desireable loop are. There are two handicapped sites, not reserved as of last night. Check Reserve USA if you so desire.

I plan to be there Friday Morning. I will try to set up in the area I think will have the most openings to gather eggs, but this is a casual gathering, we don't have to be all huddled together. No guarantees on sites, but I doubt that anyone will get turned away for lack of space.

Since there is no direct attraction like a Lake, or a shopping mall, most of the folks that come here are behaved and outdoorsey types. No loud radios and drunks, and the one time I heard loud music, the hosts squelched it about 2 minutes.

Generaters are allowed during normal hours tho.

Whats to do there?

Mostly Outdoor "stuff": Easy hiking in the Santa Ana headwater area, and on logging roads to see old homesteads, some still occupied. Bears can often be seen, along with all the other critters one would expect. Fishing is available in the lower forks of the Santa Ana (And it looks NOTHING like the part of the river you see in the city, folks) and at Big Bear Lake, about a 20 mile drive on up the mountain.

Jenks Lake is a day use lake just down the road, and up in the trees. I believe it is a fishing lake.

There are many logging roads to explore if you are set up for rough roads. Most can be negotiated slowly with a standard sedan, but do so at your own risk.

On the other side of the ridge, above Big Bear, is an old mining ruin thats very interesting to visit. It's called Holcomb Valley and is a real treat to go through. Only one building is left, but the scenery is spectacular and the old sites and history are well noted on the property and the path is easy to follow.

There are many others in the area, as well as geocaches.

Other Stuff Big Bear is the main modern area. Lots of shopping, eating, antiques and exploring. Picnicing areas on the Lake, The Big Bear Discovery center also has lots of history and ideas on where to go and what to see in the outer areas. See the ski areas without the snow LOL!

In typical NotaRally fashion, no organized "things" are planned. I am happy to host the nitely campfire in my site, bring wood, but everything is "whatever, whenever, whoever". If you like to taste wine, bring yer bottle and taste to your hearts content.. bring and prepare your food and eat it when you choose! This is a weekend to relax and vegitate, not plan and organize.

Trailer tours will be... as you want, when you want, I am sure no one will turn a look down

It is usually warm during the day, and chilly at night due to the elevation, bring sweaters, jackets, togas or sheep skins. The bears may get upset at bearskins. Bug are minimal.

Pets are welcome on lead. My rotten critters will be there.

Getting there: From I-10, take the Alabama exit in Redlands to CA 38. Head 30 miles northeast to Forest Road IN02 and go right, .25 miles to campground. The sign comes up quick, and is not your typical campground sign. It's smaller. It is almost EXACTLY 2 miles beyond South Fork Campground.

There is a Heart Bar conservation camp on the right, about a mile and 1/2 above South Fork. Do not go there. Unless you like deliquent boys.

Let me know if you think you might come. I can warn the hosts who may be able to help with sites.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 09:38 AM   #2

Registry
Here is some info on

Holcomb Valley

I have not done the whole exploration, but would like to.

A few episodes of Bonanza were shot here as well. "Little Joe! Come Here!"

This is NOT a typical "ghost" town set up. You will not find parking lots, brochures and a snack stand. It is a real old town, area, that has been left and abondoned, and getting to it requires some determination. It's off the beaten path up Fire and logging roads. I have been there a couple times and have been the only person there in this vast expanse of meadow and mines. Kind of eerie, actually.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:14 PM   #3

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp
Hi Gina,

Got your reply at the other Heart Bar thread.
Yes Sharon is very nice and my girlfriend Kim complimented her beautiful green eyes.

We would love to attend this Rally as it would offer us an opportunity to meet you and Fred.
Unfortunately, Kim and I are leaving for New York City this coming Saturday, returning Friday night. Ordinarily we could take off for the Rally Saturday morning, but can't as we need to drive Saturday morning to Northern Cal to visit Kim's family and attend a wedding in Napa. Won't return until the following Wednesday.

I so wish we could make it.

Mike Grisley lives down the road from Heart Bar and owns a Scamp 13. I will look him up and send him the invite. He is the man that showed me his Scamp before I purchased mine.

I am sorry I can't attend this this year. Thanks for the invitation.

Santiago in Anaheim
Old 08-22-2006, 04:51 PM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Jack has agreed to take care of the Kitties while I'm away. I have scheduled Friday, the 1st as a vacation day, but we are loosing our Service Manager at work... The Office Manager is pulling double duty until the boss fills that position. I might have to cover personnel shortages during that day if we are swamped. If I have to revert to plan "B", would I have problems arriving late, say 10ish? (that's PM)

The joys of small business...
Old 08-22-2006, 09:18 PM   #5

Registry
I doubt that late arrival will be a problem.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:24 PM   #6

Registry
We have another joiner. Kurt and Ann K. will be there with their Casita!

Santiago, sorry you can't make it, but your trip sounds more fun!
Old 08-28-2006, 05:14 PM   #7

Registry
*Bump*

Chris? Clete? We are sorely lacking in Tri Tip developement for this.

Lizbeth?

Loren?

Mary Lou?
Old 08-28-2006, 06:25 PM   #8

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Wha'sa matter with everyone?
Relatively close by, room to invite friends to join you.
Different scenery, Campers you know, or maybe not, then new friends to make and a chance to Gina's lighting mods. There is Big Bear to visit if you like, or simply kick back and relax.
Just because it's called Labor Day doesn't mean you are supposed to labor. Come and enjoy a change of pace and discover why some of us live in the San Bernardino's!
Check out the reward we enjoy at the end of the day.

See you there,
Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 06:16 PM   #9

Registry
The hiway to Heartbar has been closed as of this afternoon (8-29) due to a 400 acre, and growing, wildfire in the lower regions of the area.

The Heartbar area is NOT on fire, it's just that there is only one hiway in and out, and it's blocked at both ends right now. The fire is 30 or so miles away from Heartbar.

It will most likely be open again by the weekend, but please check with the Forest Service, Cal Trans, or Rim Of The World.net, local info, more detailed than most before you leave.

I will post as I see changes.

Most likely, as mentioned, this will not effect the rally, our firefighters are the best there are (Hey, they get LOTS of experience) and they will get it handled quickly, no doubt. But as of right now, you can not get UP or DOWN hiway 38 unless you are a local. This blocks the entry to Heartbar from both sides.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:09 PM   #10

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
It is the lead story on the 6 o’clock news. 2000 acres have burned and homes are burning.

The photos like it is really rugged mountain sides and will be tough to contain.

Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 07:54 PM   #11

Trailer: 2002 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe
Hi Gina

We know how fires are... we just had a very large fire here in Placerita Canyon... about one mile from our home.. The fire departments, helicopters, P2V Neptune and the P3 aircraft, the Sky Crane... and over 600 firefighters --- they were fabulous. All the helicopters and planes were right over our house and Jim has tons of photos ...

I just came home and the entire road going out of our canyon was filled with all the fire trucks, bulldozers leaving our canyon right now... They had closed Sand Canyon down to anyone that didn't live in our area... So as of now, the fire is totally contained.

I would hate to see you not have a good time this weekend and your fire is raging ... scary. Jim and I had a thought.. if you can't get into your area, maybe you could change your campground to Mojave Narrows.. not to far from where you were planning. I'm not sure if reservations are needed or if they even have space availalbe.. it's just a thought. http://www.sbcounty.gov/parks/mojave.htm

Have fun and be safe whatever you do this labor day weekend.
CarolnJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 08:32 PM   #12

Registry
Once again, my concern is not for the camping trip, but for Kurt. THIS one really does have his home in direct danger.

I am sure he was smart enough to have bugged out by now. Hope he checks in.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:28 PM   #13

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Gina,
We've been watching it with binoculars. The fire is still below Mountain Home Village. At 7:30 PM, the fire line looked about a 1/2 mile long but by 8:30 there were only 2 hotspots that we could see from our vantage point on the Torrey Pines Bridge. Even though the air support left about 7:30, the crews were really giving it their all. Also about that time the normal wind shift occurred which pushed the fire back against itself giving the crews assistance.

About 3:30 we smelled the smoke, saw the ashes and the sky turned orange so we knew a fire was in the vicinity. When the signs were that clear I stopped painting the deck and hooked up "Nuestra Casita" and prepared for a possible evacuation. So far the notice has not been given. As of now, we'd have to take the long way round if we could even leave, because Hwy 38 is closed between Lake Williams Road on the far side of Onyx Summit and Bryant St. in Yucaipa.
We'll wait and see what the night and tomorrow brings.
Thanks for your concern and we'll probably see you this week-end.

By-the-way, has anyone figured out why the banana quits dancing but the okra never stops?
Kurt & Ann K.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:33 PM   #14

Registry
Talking

Quote:
By-the-way, has anyone figured out why the banana quits dancing but the okra never stops?
Kurt & Ann K.
I have a theory...
Old 08-30-2006, 07:26 AM   #15

Registry
Quote:
has anyone figured out why the banana quits dancing but the okra never stops?
OK, I give up.. why?

Glad you are prepared. ROTW.net seems to be in disarray this morning and there have been no new posts since the wee hours. Have no updates for you, but if you go direct, you can still get on the alerts page. No one has updated it in awhile tho.

Go on up to Heartbar.. I bet you get the choicest spot
Old 08-30-2006, 11:56 AM   #16

Gina,
I don't know why the banana stops either, that's why I was asking. Apparently someone knows because when I've mentioned it in the past, it began dancing again.

ROTW.net got back on somewhere around 9:15 AM. I've been on the phone so much w/ concerned friends and week-ender neighbors that I lost track of time.

The cool nite breezes have stopped and the warm valley winds have begun. It will now be more difficult for the fire crews. Hopefully the wind won't be too strong for the air tankers. We aren't "out of the woods,yet" as the saying goes. We can hear the planes but not actually them from our home due to the steep-sided narrow canyon. According to "Rim of the World .net" (ROTW), there are 7 airtankers, 2 heli-tankers, 4 type 2 helicopters, 1 type 3 helicopter, 25 crews, 26 engines, 5 dozers, and 3 water tenders involved in stopping this fire.

The smoke makes for difficult breathing and has really affected parts of Yucaipa in addition to us in Forest Falls. Thankfully we were able to get a good night's rest with the cool air last night.

We'll try to continue updating here, unless we get moved to another topic. We have sort of wandered away from the original idea.

Thank you for the concerns and prayers,
Kurt & Ann K.
P.S.
We are still planning on being at HeartBar(but maybe without the steaks from Stater's). Since we might not have the chance to go down the mountain first.
Old 08-30-2006, 04:38 PM   #17

Registry
Talking

Quote:
We are still planning on being at HeartBar([b]but maybe without the steaks from Stater's). Since we might not have the chance to go down the mountain first.
Anything specific in mind? I will gladly bring steaks, or anything else, with me as I am leaving San Diego Friday morning. I am still committed to comming up.

If for some unforseen reason, say the 38 hasn't reopened, or some other such thing... and I am not allowed up the mountain when I get there, then I have a contingency plan of driving to Las Vegas as a last resort... (pun intended)
Old 08-30-2006, 07:15 PM   #18

Frederick,
My daughter, who lives on the way to my Dr. appt., Friday A.M. has volunteered to pick up 6 tri-tip steaks for us. We'll try to duplicate Chris & Clete's method by tenderizing and marinating ahead of time.
It was just announced on RIM of the WORLD.com that the campgrounds in the Barton Flats/Seven Oaks area have been closed. I finally managed to contact Heart Bar and they also are closed due to the Hwy closure. Their last guests left yesterday primarily because the smoke and ashes became a bit much with which to contend The hosts now get to relax & twiddle their collective thumbs.
I'll check Thursday P.M. and see if the Hwy. has been re-opened.
HeartBar phone # is (909) 389-4517
If it hasn't been opened Thurs, possibly Gina can check Friday morning before you leave home.
We'll be on the road about 6:30 A.M. for my Dr. appt., before heading for the campground.
Awkward situation but we'll play it by ear. The holiday week-end doesn't leave very many alternatives.
Do I hear mental wheels turning? WalMart usually doesn't allow bar-b-queing in their parking lots and none I've seen have any appreciable shade so we'll have to do better than that. Mojave Narrows, will probably be full. The Yucaipa Regional Park office was already closed so I was unable to find out if they might have any room.

The good news is that the fire situation, from our perspective, appears to be improving.

Looking forward to seeing you for the Labor Day week-end,
Kurt & Ann K.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:30 PM   #19

Registry
Well, this may be ONE of the times I am glad to have been sent to Mexico for a few days. Smoke and I do not get along well.

I am down here on the ocean for now.

All we can do is keep an eye on it. There really isn't any place that can be gotten into quickly of Heart Bar is closed. Maybe a site or two at Kellers peak.. which I might do, it's right off the 18 at Running Springs.

Thanks for keeping us posted.. I will do my best to keep up with it!
Old 08-31-2006, 04:30 PM   #20

Gina, Frederick, et al,
NotaRallyreally is still gonna happen so bring your friends, marshmallows, hot dogs (edible or uncomfortable), etc. and join us diehards. Our canyon has been spared so we have reason to celebrate

HWY 38 and HeartBar have both re-opened .

Well...the crazy spastic banana was dancing but quit before I was able to add this reply.

Looking forward to your company for the week-end.
Kurt& Ann K.