NOG - N. Oregon Gathering - October 8-10, 2010 - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Rallies, Get-togethers, Molded Meets (Archive)
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-12-2010, 07:45 PM   #101

Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact Jr
Well, by far no 'expert', but for those who want to tag along, it's OK with me. Thinking about the Gathering the other day as I was gathering turitella (fossil snail shells in black agate) I picked up a bunch of smaller pieces to hand out to any kids who show up. Guess, we have some 'older' kids also.

In Newcastle, Wyoming at present
Dave Bese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:08 PM   #102

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Bese View Post
I was gathering turitella (fossil snail shells in black agate) I picked up a bunch. Guess, we have some 'older' kids also.

In Newcastle, Wyoming at present
I'm an older kid, I would love to at least see a black agate with a snail shell in it. We are looking forward to our Holly hunt. We have been around here for a long time and never knew about the blues.
Linda R002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:21 AM   #103

Trailer: 1973 13 ft Compact II
I WANT one, too!!!!!

Dave,
Glad you saw our postings, because my mailbox was 100% full and couldn't send you the PM I wanted to! I can't, for the life of me, figure out how to delete and clean out my mailbox with the years old messages.
I'm a kid, too. I would love to get one of your little snail shells in black agate, if there are any left over from the 'other' kids.
See you Friday afternoon or evening sometime and we can plan the time for 'our' HOLLY HUNT.
Safe TRIP back to northern Oregon!
Barbara
bbuehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:24 AM   #104

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Post How to clear out your PM mailbox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbuehler View Post
Dave,
Glad you saw our postings, because my mailbox was 100% full and couldn't send you the PM I wanted to! I can't, for the life of me, figure out how to delete and clean out my mailbox with the years old messages.
Find "User CP" at the top left of your screen.
That stands for User Control Panel
Click on that, and there will be a list on the left side of your screen. Scroll down most of the screen to find "Manage Private Messages" and click on that. You should be able to clear your mailbox from there.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:43 AM   #105

THANK YOU for your technology SUPPORT!

Frederick,
Yeah, now I can clean out my messages from 5 years of writing folks!!!
I NEVER would've figured this one out. BUT, I want you to know that about a year or two ago, I figured out the other way...only that seems to have disappeared and a newer trickier way is the ONLY way to "just do it"!
Have I sullied the reputation of Commpact II owners and previous owners by admitting to my inept computer skills?
your new friend from Bandon,
Barbara
Old 09-14-2010, 04:13 AM   #106

Trailer: Escape 13 ft 2010 ('Ladybug') / 2003 Subaru Forester
Registry
We will be at the Waterloo NOG in a few weeks and wonder if anyone has suggestions for nice camping spots in southern Washington or northern Oregon that might be suitable for tagging on just before or after the NOG in Waterloo? A location with good fall colour would be a bonus.

My wife and I are retired and would like to take advantage of being in the area. We have previously camped in Silver Falls and Fort Stevens (both great spots!)

Brian
Old 09-14-2010, 12:42 PM   #107

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 16 ft ('The Pod')
Brian,

Champoeg State Park is one of our favorite places in the fall:
Oregon State Parks and Recreation: Rates
Vivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 01:19 PM   #108

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivian View Post
Brian,

Champoeg State Park is one of our favorite places in the fall:
Oregon State Parks and Recreation: Rates
Vivian:

Thanks. We have stayed in Champoeg, but not in the fall. Good suggestion.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP9112sm.jpg  
Old 09-14-2010, 02:46 PM   #109

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Van Snell View Post
We will be at the Waterloo NOG in a few weeks and wonder if anyone has suggestions for nice camping spots in southern Washington or northern Oregon that might be suitable for tagging on just before or after the NOG in Waterloo? A location with good fall colour would be a bonus.

My wife and I are retired and would like to take advantage of being in the area. We have previously camped in Silver Falls and Fort Stevens (both great spots!)

Brian
The Columbia River Gorge is always nice. Fall is usually really pleasant. There's several State Parks, Corps Of Engineering campgrounds. A bit north of the Gorge is string of BLM campgrounds along the Deschutes River near Maupin, Oregon. A lot depends on the weather. In the Cascades there's another sting of campground along the Metolius River near Camp Sherman. A few are open year around.

TO find out more about Oregon State Parks go to Oregon Parks and Recreation Department: State Parks Campgrounds

Campgrounds around Camp Sherman look at Campground Availability Oregon

Corp of Engineers in Oregon go here Corps Lakes Gateway: Oregon

BLM is a bit harder to find information about, but it can be done.

As you see there's lots to choose from, urban like Waterloo, Champoeg, or remote like Deschutes River on the Columbia, or Camp Sherman.
It'll probably be a bit late in the year for Newberry National Volcanic Monument. You can call East Lake Resort at (541) 536-2230 to find out if things are open and weather conditions. This is a great place with lots to see including the High Desert Museum at the bottom. LaPine State Park is pretty close to the High Desert Museum.

Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Byron
Byron Kinnaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:13 PM   #110

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Brian, I'd also suggest L.L. Stub Stewart, an Oregon State Park. About half-way between Portland and the beach, right off Hwy 26 just a couple of miles. It's out of the major fir tree area, so SHOULD have colors in October, although it's getting colder now and perhaps the trees will turn sooner than later. Just a couple of miles from Vernonia, a cute little town.

BTW: we'll be having a NOG a L.L. Stub in April, we were there last fall, time to see it with the spring buds on!

If you want to camp a lot closer to the fall NOG, there's a number of parks in the area of Waterloo: http://www.co.linn.or.us/parks/parks.htm River Bend is really nice and quiet.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:52 PM   #111

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Brian, I'd also suggest L.L. Stub Stewart, an Oregon State Park. About half-way between Portland and the beach, right off Hwy 26 just a couple of miles. It's out of the major fir tree area, so SHOULD have colors in October, although it's getting colder now and perhaps the trees will turn sooner than later. Just a couple of miles from Vernonia, a cute little town.

BTW: we'll be having a NOG a L.L. Stub in April, we were there last fall, time to see it with the spring buds on!

If you want to camp a lot closer to the fall NOG, there's a number of parks in the area of Waterloo: Linn County Parks & Recreation, Oregon River Bend is really nice and quiet.
Donna:

Thank you for your helpful advice! There were many rave reviews posted of your NOG at L.L. Stub Stewart in October last year. Sounds like a great place.

Brian
Old 09-14-2010, 09:12 PM   #112

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:

If you want to camp a lot closer to the fall NOG, there's a number of parks in the area of Waterloo: Linn County Parks & Recreation, Oregon River Bend is really nice and quiet.
LL STUB STEWART from another view point.

Several years ago the State of Oregon got a hold of a beautiful piece of ground in the cost range foot hills. At about the same time the State Linear Park was made that through this nice piece of land.
Then the State started building LL Stub Stewart State Park. They picked a nice hill with lots of trees in 50 to 100 old category. Trees were cut, most of the trees were cut, not just was was necessary. The ground leveled and top soil sold along with logs. What was left was nude hill with a few small trees that got planted about the time they finish bulldozing. A little asphalt laid and gravel put on the ground where the RV guys were to park, eat, and sit around the fire. No shade, no trees just sitting on gravel in the looking at the other trailers around.
There is one camping area in park where the trees were left, the horse camp. Check it if you go there and you'll what could have been.

To me camping at LL Stub Stewart is about like camping at Quartzsite or Furnace Springs in Death Valley.
It that's what you like, that's great. For me I'll head for the trees any day.

Just my Humble opinion.

Pardon me for venting.

Byron
Byron Kinnaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 05:41 AM   #113

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Brian, Dairy Creek East is as Bryon describes. Sort of reminds me of Waterloo or Champoeg B Loop ... pretty open. Although if it's cold and you want sun, that's the place to be. Dairy Creek West is more forested.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 06:06 AM   #114

Registry
Quote:
Brian, Dairy Creek East is as Bryon describes. Sort of reminds me of Waterloo or Champoeg B Loop ... pretty open. Although if it's cold and you want sun, that's the place to be. Dairy Creek West is more forested.
Donna:

Thanks. I was having trouble reconciling the rave reviews with Byron's assessment.

We are really looking forward to seeing everyone again at Waterloo!

Brian
Old 09-15-2010, 08:13 AM   #115

A BETTER spot for you than Stub Stewart!

If you go just one SHORT HOUR further down Hwy 26, past the turn-off for Stub Stewart park, you'll make it down to the Oregon coast and Nehalem Bay State Park. You will have the wonderful town of Manzanita, on the ocean side and the tiny town of Nehalem on the bay side. When Hwy 26 splits off into going to Seaside or going to Cannon Beach, take Hwy 101 South for about 15 miles. You will LOVE the campgrounds (sites with lots of SUN and with me and my little retro trailer) just about 2 minutes away! I live in Manzanita.
Lots of photo ops in the park, alone. Deer, elk, coyotes and all the sea birds along the bay, etc. We'd love to meet you and your wife!
Barbara (I'm a hiker, too!)
Old 09-16-2010, 06:29 PM   #116

Trailer: 1997 16 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe (aka 'The Cramper')
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbuehler View Post
Manzanita.
Lots of photo ops in the park, alone. Deer, elk, ... Barbara (I'm a hiker, too!)
What she said!!! Simon and I and the fuzzybutts can vouch for the elk... saw one of those big critters right there near Steve's place just south of Manzanita. Plus, and this is a BIG YABBA DABBA DOO PLUS, she didn't tell you about WANDA'S!!! Wanda's is in the next wee town south, and Wanda makes the BEST DANG BREAKFASTS you ever hope to enjoy. What a great baker! Another PLUS! Manzanita has a great lil Mexican Restaurant... very picturesque lil coastal town.

Let's go!!!
Cheers all, see ya in Waterloo!
Sharen
HeathGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:26 PM   #117

Registry
Thank you Donna, Barbara, Sharen, Byron and Vivian! We have now booked some time in L.L. Stub Stewart (Dairy West) and Nehalem before Waterloo and Champoeg after Waterloo. We'll be able to give you a report when we see you.

What a great bunch of people! We can hardly wait to get on the road again!

Brian
Old 09-16-2010, 09:05 PM   #118

Sharen, I knew you would soon SURFACE on this thread!

Sharen & Simon,
I hope you've been reading this last thread about the NOG camping excursions...we've got Dave Bese leading us on a Blue Agate hunt (we can make jewelry out of them (if we find any!). My Stephen can lead the jewelry making workshop...if he can go back 40 years in his head!
We are also going on a nice hike or two with Brian & Maria and some of our regulars. Get ready, get set, GO! Wish it were October already...and some October sunshine. I'm holding out for an Indian Summer!!
Although, it's pretty rainy today in Manzanita.
See you Very soon.
BB
Old 09-16-2010, 09:32 PM   #119

Trailer: 1997 16 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe (aka 'The Cramper')
Yeah, Girlfriend... I caught some of that. Soooo not organized, hahahaha!!! I'm lookin forward to all of it. AS for jewelry, I do that too... I've got a whole basket of "inventory." REmember, I volunteer at a Thrift Shop... which, obtw, my latest "can't live without" is a leather chair and ottoman for Simon that fits nicely in our tv room. I bought it for $20, then sold the one I didn't like for the same, so I'm flush!

Anyway, yeah, this rain is the pits, but it is mild and I haven't turned the heat on yet. The thick cloud cover is keeping it warm enough... I just miss the bleepin sun. What a pitiful summer. And like you I am HOPING LIKE HECK for a delightful Indian Summer weekend for the NOG. I DEMAND IT!!! harharhar

And I didn't know there are BLUE agates! I thought they were always white or pink. Live and learn... I want to see some of those.

Yes, indeedy, see ya soon.
Hugs,
Sharen
HeathGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 12:32 PM   #120

Trailer: Bigfoot 17 ft Gaucho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
The Columbia River Gorge is always nice. Fall is usually really pleasant. There's several State Parks, Corps Of Engineering campgrounds. A bit north of the Gorge is string of BLM campgrounds along the Deschutes River near Maupin, Oregon. A lot depends on the weather. In the Cascades there's another sting of campground along the Metolius River near Camp Sherman. A few are open year around.

TO find out more about Oregon State Parks go to Oregon Parks and Recreation Department: State Parks Campgrounds

Campgrounds around Camp Sherman look at Campground Availability Oregon

Corp of Engineers in Oregon go here Corps Lakes Gateway: Oregon

BLM is a bit harder to find information about, but it can be done.

As you see there's lots to choose from, urban like Waterloo, Champoeg, or remote like Deschutes River on the Columbia, or Camp Sherman.
It'll probably be a bit late in the year for Newberry National Volcanic Monument. You can call East Lake Resort at (541) 536-2230 to find out if things are open and weather conditions. This is a great place with lots to see including the High Desert Museum at the bottom. LaPine State Park is pretty close to the High Desert Museum.

Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Byron

We just came from a week camping at La Pine State Park (about 20 miles south of Bend) and Hosmer Lake (BLM) on the Cascade Lakes Hwy. Both were terrific. Amenties and hookups at La Pine. Hosmer is remote and probably closed by then. We went up to Newberry Crater, which was wonderful. The image is of Paulina Lake taken from Paulina Peak at 8000 feet last week.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_1474.jpg  
Ericpa3 is offline   Reply With Quote