Northern California Get Togethers - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2009, 02:13 PM   #21

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Deluxe ('The White House')
**LA is southern CA and anything north of there is Northern CA. And I'll stick to it until my dying day.**

Joy - we are in Galt, and I agree. Southern Calif is THEIR side of the Grapevine.

Not sure where Northern Begins... Bakersfield SEEMS too far south. But B'field is not SO-Cal either.

Oh well.....

Quote:
Roger,
Well, to answer the No./So. California question, it's because we don't tend to segement the state into multi sections just No. and So.

The only people that call the central portion central is the TV folks. I'm from Monterey county and was always in Northern CA until the TV folks started calling it Central CA.

But the basic premise is:

LA is southern CA and anything north of there is Northern CA. And I'll stick to it until my dying day.

Rick,

On topic, why don't you start a rally? All you need to do is pick a place, not on holidays, hopefully not on weekends as it's hard to get into most places on weekends. If you do pick a weekend make sure we can make reservations, not a first come first served place. There is no need to make it a big deal just a simple get together.

I've held a rally at Dillon Beach north of Point Reyes for a number of years. I haven't advertised it on this site because I really didn't want it to get too big. I post it on the Yahoo Scampers site. Any way, I have PM'd numerous people from this site and to date none have come. So I continue to post on the Yahoo site and even on that site people in CA are looking for rallies but don't ever come to Dillon. We can't figure it out and I've stopped trying to.

So just pick a place. I'll come if I can and I'll let my regulars at Dillon know.
Weinel, Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:19 PM   #22

**'the 101'.***

As a Northern Californian, that drives me NUTS - "the" followed by f-way #.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:01 PM   #23

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Hi all, I'm new to the site too. My wife and I just bought a 13' Scamp last week. I grew up in the little town of Valley Ford, just 7 miles from Dillon Beach. We're still in the SF bay area and we'd love to join you for a campout at Dillon Beach or somewhere else. Just spent our first weekend in the Scamp up on the Yuba River and it was awesome!!
Congrat's Wilder! I am sure you guys are gonna enjoy your new Scamp. But you need to also post your purchase in the general chat forum, so everyone can say welcome and congrats! Plus add some pic's. ( we never get tired of pic's of fiberglass)
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 08:42 PM   #24

Trailer: 76 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Darren Miller
I'm in suburban Sacramento with a 13' "USS Egg-terprise" and a Camry tow vehicle. I'm up for a weekend rally, just give me a couple weeks' notice. I'm also on the Yahoo Scampers list and really liked the Rio Vista suggestion--there are hookups there, as opposed to Dillons Beach. But Dillons is fine, too, although I haven't been there in probably 10 years.

Quote:
Hello,

I was wondering why there are not any Nor. California rallies or get togethers. I just got a little Fiberglass trailer called a Space Master, looks like a spaceship with a popup tent on it. Pretty cool. Anyway looking for other like minded fiberglass campers out there to maybe get together on a camp anywhere in Nor Cal. Anytime is good for me.

Thanks
Rick
Lincoln, CA
Darren Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 10:17 PM   #25

Trailer: 1999 21 ft Bigfoot (2500 series)
if you were closer to Fresno you might get more So cals there. Not trying to add to the politics of what is south/north and central. I have lived in them all.

Alexandra B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 10:55 PM   #26

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Arrow

Quote:
LA [b]is southern CA
and San Diego is Baja LA
Old 08-30-2009, 01:00 AM   #27

Trailer: Spacemaster Michiganti Lite 1987
Quote:
Hello,

I was wondering why there are not any Nor. California rallies or get togethers. I just got a little Fiberglass trailer called a Space Master, looks like a spaceship with a popup tent on it. Pretty cool. Anyway looking for other like minded fiberglass campers out there to maybe get together on a camp anywhere in Nor Cal. Anytime is good for me.

Thanks
Rick
Lincoln, CA
In looking at campgrounds I find many that have no hookups. What are the preferences for each of you. Does it have to have hookups or are you all up for dry camping. Most has showers and toilets, etc. but not hookups. Would that be ok or would everyone prefer hookups?

I am hoping to have something set up for the 3rd weekend in Sept. Still looking around for a spot. Any help would be great. I know the Dillon beach site is already been mentioned (nice scenary)and Rio Vista (more like a nice parking lot but has hookups etc) I am looking posibbly at Fallen Leaf at Tahoe. Never been there, but lots of space no hookups.
Rick Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 02:35 PM   #28

Trailer: 76 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Darren Miller
Generally, I prefer hookups. If we're dry camping, though, then any number of places are nice. Here's one I tried several years ago, not far from Auburn....
http://morningstar.icyspicy.com/
Fishing, pedal boats, swimming, etc.

Quote:
In looking at campgrounds I find many that have no hookups. What are the preferences for each of you. Does it have to have hookups or are you all up for dry camping. Most has showers and toilets, etc. but not hookups. Would that be ok or would everyone prefer hookups?

I am hoping to have something set up for the 3rd weekend in Sept. Still looking around for a spot. Any help would be great. I know the Dillon beach site is already been mentioned (nice scenary)and Rio Vista (more like a nice parking lot but has hookups etc) I am looking posibbly at Fallen Leaf at Tahoe. Never been there, but lots of space no hookups.
Darren Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 06:11 PM   #29

Quote:
Hello,

Thanks
Rick
Lincoln, CA
OK here's a place that I found that looks and sounds good. It is a KOA with hookups. you don't have to be a koa member to use it. They have hook ups and should have space for us. I was shooting for Sept 18 and 19. You could go earlier if you like, but my wife can't get off work on Friday.

I called today and they said they should have space, but need to have a head count. If we have enough people, she may give us a discount, but I need to talk to someone else there. Here is the link. Weather hopefully will still be good maybe a bit cooler then now. Hopefully these dates will work for at least a half dozen of us. Nothing official I guess, just a place for some of us to get together.

http://www.laketahoekoa.com/index.php

I have not been here before, but hopefully it will be a good spot. Let me know if this sounds good and we can start calling and making reservations so they can keep the group together.

Thanks
Old 08-30-2009, 09:18 PM   #30

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
I was shooting for Sept 18 and 19. You could go earlier if you like, but my wife can't get off work on Friday.
Have a family wedding that weekend. Will look for the next gathering.

Have fun.

There is no such thing as an all black cat.
Tom U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 11:30 PM   #31

Quote:
Bobbie, Rick's post where he tells about his purchase here-ricks post a few post down from OP what we know as a Mity Lite
Plus if you look in the Sold archives you will see the sale ad with pics.

Isn't mid-state like around the Paso Robles area? I agree, that Sac/bay area seems a little south to be called Northern, but I know that it's referred to as Northern Calif. I remember thinking as a kid that the true north end of CA was forgotten, cause there is so much beyond what is deemed Northern that is within State lines.

Joy, I just posted the Fall Gathering (not really an official gathering but sounds good) for Sept. 18 and 19 at http://www.laketahoekoa.com I hope you can make it and let your other friends know as well. everyone can make their own reservations, they are expecting the calls. I look forward to meeting you.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:29 PM   #32

Trailer: Burro 13 ft 1982
Rick-

I have been off line for about 6 weeks and just got my computer back today.

My husband and I have kicked around the idea of getting a Northern Ca gathering together for the past year or so but have not got around to nailing anything down. We live on the coast of Ca about an hour from the Oregon line. We have had thoughts about a gathering somewhere in the Redwoods maybe sometime next spring. How close are you to the Oregon line?

Ellen B.
BuzzardsBurro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 03:31 PM   #33

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Please Ellen, we hope you and Berry really do plan an event. We would love to camp in the redwoods.
Linda R002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:57 AM   #34

HELP US SETTLE THE DEBATE.........So we can get on with planning a gathering.

In the past when Berry and I have discussed planning a gathering among the Redwoods we have always come back to a few issues we have not been able to settle. We need everyone's input on these issues. The big question is this.......should we find a spot that has hookups or is everyone willing to dry camp.

Many of our beautiful parks and campgrounds among the Redwoods have no hooksups. Some of these places have flush bathrooms others just have pit and most of these don't have showers. Many of these parks are located right in the Redwoods. There are other private campgrounds among the redwoods that offer hookups, showers, small stores on site, etc... Of course the private campgrounds (most more like RV parks) cost more a night to stay at than our state parks but they offer more. We have talked to some of the private campground owners and some would be willing to give us a little discount if we can fill say 10 or more sites and they would be willing to block a group of sites together for a short period of time so our group could make reservations and camp close together. Two really nice private campgrounds that we looked at that have hookups are located in a big grassy field right on the Klamath river. One has no spot for campfires but does have a nice BBQ gathering area the other one would provide us with one big campfire ring kind of in the middle of the camping area but no campfires would be allowed in our sites.

The next issue Berry and I have mulled over and over is what time of the year to have this. Spring weather is all over the map for this area. We can get a beautiful day and the next 3 days it could rain and freeze over night or it could be visa-versa. It's very up and down. Summer for us on the coast usually means some fog in the mornings and night or it could mean fog all day if it is really hot inland which happens for weeks at a time sometimes. About now through October sometimes even into November and December can bring us some beautiful days but starts getting cooler at night and we often get mist in the morning and night. When I say beautiful days I mean more like Bandon. 80 degrees is hot for us and 45-50 degrees is not uncommon at night. Many campgrounds we talked with also pointed out to us that in Sept many of our campgrounds are close to or are full due to Salmon fisherman. Now this year we only had a 10 day season so we could have still worked around that but some years Salmon season is much longer.

The other thing that came up is how big of a place would we need, which would depend on how many people would be interested in coming to a gathering in the Redwoods. We found a beautiful campground but it can only hold about 20-25 campers all with hookups. There is another spot we found that could allow up to 166 trailers some with hookups some without. We also have a Ranger of a State Park as one of our members here that could maybe fix us up real nice in one of our most beautiful and popular State Parks in the heart of the Redwoods, but it is a park with no hookups.

So everyone think about the following and chime in on what you think.
Hookups vs drycamping?????
How many would be interested in a Redwoods gathering????
What time of the year should we do this??????? Berry and I have leaning towards Sept/Oct but don't want to plan it to close to the fall NOG.

Your input is needed so we can stop just talking about this and start doing something to get this together for next year.

Ellen B.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:07 AM   #35

Trailer: 1993 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Dry camping is fine with me! Which "Redwoods" are you thinking about?

October can still be very nice, and if there's a little rain who cares we're not in a tent anymore
Wilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:19 AM   #36

Redwoods of Northern California on the coast near the Oregon line is where we are trying to get a gathering together.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:26 AM   #37

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
We dry camp a lot so we are fine. The week before the NOG would work for us. It would also allow those heading north to just keep going up to the NOG. After the NOG we have to get back to working on weekends until mid Nov. But Spring can be beautiful too, its just too far away to know our schedual yet. Who needs poer when you have dutch ovens to cook in?
Linda R002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:51 AM   #38

We would be in next year as well.

**Right now** I am still tethered due to a CPAP, but we are working on a way to untether... a deep cycle battery + a Honda 2000i for recharging and we will be good to go!

We have friends who moved to Arcadia, CA for a few years and did visit them once up there. LOVED the trip up 101 thru the redwoods and absolutely will return for camping.

We plan to hit Bandon next year as well.

So... consider us IN when sizing a campground.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:09 PM   #39

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Ellen,

You can run into the NOG whether Spring or Fall. I wouldn't worry it just pick a time and hope those from CA that don't ever attend the NOG would come.

Are you talkiing the Redwoods between Eureka and CC or the Redwoods below Eureka??

I'll do dry camping or hookups. I just don't like $30 to $50 a night Also some might hesitate because it's a long way up there and gas is costly so try to keep the campsite cost down.

Lily and I'll come if it doesn't conflict with my annual golf tournament the first week of October. Any thing else I should be able to rearrange, postpone or cancel.

Hey, put it out there and see how many you get.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 01:00 PM   #40

Joy-

So far we have only checked on places to camp between Eureka and Crescent City and thought we might try that first. When Berry & I started talking about this last year we thought we might try 1 year North of Eureka and the following year try South of Eureka and try to switch off every other year and maybe move around like Donna does with the NOG. Right now we are just in the thinking/planning stages and want as much input as possible.

I also agree with you about keeping the cost down. Most private campgrounds we found start around $35.00 a night with a 10-15% discount for large groups. We have also been watching to see what State Parks old Arnold is going to take from us. I did see on the news fees for the CA State Parks that will remain open will be going up soon so by the time they get done we could be looking at $30.00 or more a night for State Parks with no hookups. We are just watching, waiting and taking in feedback as of right now.

Thanks and keep the feedback coming.

Ellen B.