Northern California Get Togethers - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-18-2009, 11:01 AM   #57

Trailer: 2003 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Peters
Quote:
Loeb SP.....I love Loeb. I never travel 101 without stopping at Loeb. It fills on weekends and doesn't take reservations. Strictly first come first served. Also just enough further I wouldn't come for a weekend.

Oh by the by, it wouldn't be a No. Cal. gathering. Brookings is in Oregon.

If you were going to do Brookings the campground out at the mouth of the harbor would be better. They take reservations, somewhere in the neighborhood of $30/$35 if I remember correctly. I drove out there this last July.

Oops! Silly me - I always sorta felt Brookings was part of 'No. Calif.' What about a National Forest campground? They may not offer all the hookups (the smaller ones) but don't seem to be hit quite so hard by the economy. I guess I'd better get out my No. Calif. campground guide.

Old 01-05-2010, 03:34 AM   #58

Trailer: 2002 13 ft Casita
Cool

If you get a location I would be interested. I've lived in Eureka and Crescent City. Any place you get a few miles inland is going to be warmer than on the coast. I would prefer an electric hookup because the only heat I have now is electric. Maybe I could afford a generator and then hookups wouldn't matter. I would like to join you, but think and inland site in the fall probably would be preferable. I am definately interested.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:49 PM   #59

Trailer: 2015 Scamp 16 deluxe "Lil Nut"
We have been tossing this subject around for awhile now. Many suggestions of places have come forward. It seems that NOW someone needs to make a decision on when and where we can all try to get together and where. Someone step forward and volunteer - - -
Old 01-06-2010, 07:07 PM   #60

Name: Alan
Trailer: FORMERLY:Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Deluxe ('The White House')
California
THANKS EARL!!! I think [b]you JUST VOLUNTEERED!!!

"Book=em, Danno" Pick a time and place, and run it up the flag pole.

Count Michele and me in if we are free.

North Coast. Gold Country. High Sierra. Wine Country. ALL are good.
Hookups or Dry. It all works for me.

Thanks again for taking this on. Truly appreciate it!!! (I assume you know that means you will ALSO coordinate the pot luck - but if we go to Mendecino, perhaps you should clarify what the "pot" in potluck refers to.... lol)

Quote:
We have been tossing this subject around for awhile now. Many suggestions of places have come forward. It seems that NOW someone needs to make a decision on when and where we can all try to get together and where. Someone step forward and volunteer - - -
Old 01-06-2010, 07:42 PM   #61

Name: Wilder
Trailer: 1993 Scamp 13 ft
California
Registry
My wife and I will be scamping at Van Damme State Park up near Mendocino the weekend of Jan 29-31. Arriving Friday, leaving Sunday. No reservations this time of year - I called the park today and the ranger said that being how it's the off-season, there should be plenty of sites available.

http://www.tinyurl.com/VanDammeSP

You're all welcome to join us!
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0154__800x600_.JPG  
Old 01-07-2010, 05:17 PM   #62

Gee, thanks Alan Weinel for volunteering me to arrange our Second Annual Northern California Gathering. We had six trailers at our first gathering at Lake Tahoe last year. I am a firm believer in "consensus by committee". I know that Rick Hansen started us off last year. Would you like to be on our committee of three this year? Any others want to join in?

In chatting with Alan we are proposing the following: Dates: September 17-19, 2010

Proposed sites: The sites below have no hookups but reservations are accepted.

1. Hendy Woods State Park: In a redwood grove on Highway 128 near Philo, between Cloverdale and Fort Bragg. 92 sites, $35/night.

2. Woodson Bridge State Recreation Area: Located in a virgin oak grove with the Sacramento River running through it. It's between Corning on I-5 and Chico on 99. 37 sites on 470 acres, $25/night.

3. McArthur-Burney Falls Memorial State Park: Located 6 miles north of Burney on Highway 89. 128 wooded sites on 1,000 acres, $30/night.

And so - - - - Let the discussions begin!
Old 01-07-2010, 07:42 PM   #63

Name: Linda and Dale and Dallas the cat
Trailer: 1984 Fiber Stream
California
We would like to vote for number two. It would be a lot easier for those of us from Oregon to pop down to an area near Corning then going all the way south to an area near Fort Braggs. I know that there is a scamp camp there once or twice a year already. Not that I would mind visiting the Fort Braggs brewery.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:06 AM   #64

California
L&D -

From North of the Border, Burney Falls would be even closer. Come down I-5 to Shasta, take Cal Hiway 89 South exit (around Exit # 736-738, then is is 65 miles +/- down 89 to McArthur / Burney Falls State Park. And, the falls ARE nice.

Woodson is just off I-5 around exit 631.

So Woodson is 35 miles +/- longer, but all freeway so possible same TIME.

Quote:
We would like to vote for number two. It would be a lot easier for those of us from Oregon to pop down to an area near Corning then going all the way south to an area near Fort Braggs. I know that there is a scamp camp there once or twice a year already. Not that I would mind visiting the Fort Braggs brewery.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:00 AM   #65

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp
I don't see anything wrong with the redwoods in Humboldt County. There are several very nice CA campgrounds. Don't know about electricity, but they do have water, septic dumps and some showers. Marg in NW California
Old 01-08-2010, 09:07 AM   #66

Trailer: 17 ft 2001 Casita Freedom Deluxe (one eyed CatSita)
woodson is of interest to us because Scott Peterson and his wife used to own the mouth of Deer Creek, before the state took it for the park.
Scott was a "second father" to me (Lou). Lora and i spent the first night of our honeymoon there July 15,1961. that was before that part of it was in the park, i think.
might add. it can get hot there in September.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:21 PM   #67

California
Of course, not THE Scott Peterson. Whew.

Quote:
woodson is of interest to us because Scott Peterson and his wife used to own the mouth of Deer Creek, before the state took it for the park.
Scott was a "second father" to me (Lou). Lora and i spent the first night of our honeymoon there July 15,1961. that was before that part of it was in the park, i think.
might add. it can get hot there in September.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:28 PM   #68

California
Suggest one or more.

Earl only tossed those out because nobody had done anything so far at all. NOTHING is cast in stone.
Last year (Sept 2009) the attendees were mostly "Sacramento" area folks.. including up highway 50 and down 99. But mostly within, I would say, 35 miles of downtown Sac.

SO...... that was most likely the REASON for picking what was picked...

If you know of a good place, throw it out there.

Humboldt redwoods sounds GREAT to me. At bit remote from those here in the central part of the state, but hey... if you PLAN for it, it really isn't THAT far. I mean, we ARE going to Bandon in July, and will pass thru that area on the way.

Quote:
I don't see anything wrong with the redwoods in Humboldt County. There are several very nice CA campgrounds. Don't know about electricity, but they do have water, septic dumps and some showers. Marg in NW California
Old 01-09-2010, 10:18 AM   #69

Trailer: 17 ft 2001 Casita Freedom Deluxe (one eyed CatSita)
Quote:
Of course, not THE Scott Peterson. Whew.
have to display my ignorance. don't know who ''THE Scott Peterson" is.

mine was not prominent, but not ordinary either. he and Norma, his wife, owned several pieces of property that the state of california, in it's infinite wisdom, decided that it needed more.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:45 PM   #70

To date it appears we have two votes for Woodson Bridge State Recreation Area. Thanks Linda&Dale, Lou & Lore E. for responding. There is also an unnamed park in the Humboldt Redwoods. I know there is one couple from last year who is a working pair so travel too far might be a problem.

All three proposed sites offer a "camping" atmosphere rather than a stacked "cordwood" RV park setting.

If the proposed dates are accepted and the final destination is a California State Park (wherever it may be) reservations can be made seven months in advance. If the dates are July 17-19, reservations can be made starting March 1. A final destination needs to be made by then so those interested in attending can start making reservations.

Regarding proposed sites in central valley:
Yes, I agree with Lou & Lora E. that in September it could be hot at Woodson Bridge. On the other hand it could be very pleasant. (If only we had a crystal ball!) At McArthur-Burney Falls it could be cooler because it is at 3,000 foot elevation. Lots of hiking and interesting things to see.

Keep the discussions coming - - - -