Northern California Get Togethers - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2010, 07:42 PM   #61

Trailer: 1993 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
My wife and I will be scamping at Van Damme State Park up near Mendocino the weekend of Jan 29-31. Arriving Friday, leaving Sunday. No reservations this time of year - I called the park today and the ranger said that being how it's the off-season, there should be plenty of sites available.

http://www.tinyurl.com/VanDammeSP

You're all welcome to join us!
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0154__800x600_.JPG  
Wilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:17 PM   #62

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Scamp Deluxe 5th Wheel ('The Peanut')
Gee, thanks Alan Weinel for volunteering me to arrange our Second Annual Northern California Gathering. We had six trailers at our first gathering at Lake Tahoe last year. I am a firm believer in "consensus by committee". I know that Rick Hansen started us off last year. Would you like to be on our committee of three this year? Any others want to join in?

In chatting with Alan we are proposing the following: Dates: September 17-19, 2010

Proposed sites: The sites below have no hookups but reservations are accepted.

1. Hendy Woods State Park: In a redwood grove on Highway 128 near Philo, between Cloverdale and Fort Bragg. 92 sites, $35/night.

2. Woodson Bridge State Recreation Area: Located in a virgin oak grove with the Sacramento River running through it. It's between Corning on I-5 and Chico on 99. 37 sites on 470 acres, $25/night.

3. McArthur-Burney Falls Memorial State Park: Located 6 miles north of Burney on Highway 89. 128 wooded sites on 1,000 acres, $30/night.

And so - - - - Let the discussions begin!
Old 01-07-2010, 07:42 PM   #63

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
We would like to vote for number two. It would be a lot easier for those of us from Oregon to pop down to an area near Corning then going all the way south to an area near Fort Braggs. I know that there is a scamp camp there once or twice a year already. Not that I would mind visiting the Fort Braggs brewery.
Linda R002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 12:06 AM   #64

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Deluxe ('The White House')
L&D -

From North of the Border, Burney Falls would be even closer. Come down I-5 to Shasta, take Cal Hiway 89 South exit (around Exit # 736-738, then is is 65 miles +/- down 89 to McArthur / Burney Falls State Park. And, the falls ARE nice.

Woodson is just off I-5 around exit 631.

So Woodson is 35 miles +/- longer, but all freeway so possible same TIME.

Quote:
We would like to vote for number two. It would be a lot easier for those of us from Oregon to pop down to an area near Corning then going all the way south to an area near Fort Braggs. I know that there is a scamp camp there once or twice a year already. Not that I would mind visiting the Fort Braggs brewery.
Weinel, Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:00 AM   #65

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp
I don't see anything wrong with the redwoods in Humboldt County. There are several very nice CA campgrounds. Don't know about electricity, but they do have water, septic dumps and some showers. Marg in NW California
Marg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:07 AM   #66

Trailer: 17 ft 2001 Casita Freedom Deluxe (one eyed CatSita)
woodson is of interest to us because Scott Peterson and his wife used to own the mouth of Deer Creek, before the state took it for the park.
Scott was a "second father" to me (Lou). Lora and i spent the first night of our honeymoon there July 15,1961. that was before that part of it was in the park, i think.
might add. it can get hot there in September.
Lou & Lora E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 12:21 PM   #67

Of course, not THE Scott Peterson. Whew.

Quote:
woodson is of interest to us because Scott Peterson and his wife used to own the mouth of Deer Creek, before the state took it for the park.
Scott was a "second father" to me (Lou). Lora and i spent the first night of our honeymoon there July 15,1961. that was before that part of it was in the park, i think.
might add. it can get hot there in September.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:28 PM   #68

Suggest one or more.

Earl only tossed those out because nobody had done anything so far at all. NOTHING is cast in stone.
Last year (Sept 2009) the attendees were mostly "Sacramento" area folks.. including up highway 50 and down 99. But mostly within, I would say, 35 miles of downtown Sac.

SO...... that was most likely the REASON for picking what was picked...

If you know of a good place, throw it out there.

Humboldt redwoods sounds GREAT to me. At bit remote from those here in the central part of the state, but hey... if you PLAN for it, it really isn't THAT far. I mean, we ARE going to Bandon in July, and will pass thru that area on the way.

Quote:
I don't see anything wrong with the redwoods in Humboldt County. There are several very nice CA campgrounds. Don't know about electricity, but they do have water, septic dumps and some showers. Marg in NW California
Old 01-09-2010, 10:18 AM   #69

Quote:
Of course, not THE Scott Peterson. Whew.
have to display my ignorance. don't know who ''THE Scott Peterson" is.

mine was not prominent, but not ordinary either. he and Norma, his wife, owned several pieces of property that the state of california, in it's infinite wisdom, decided that it needed more.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:45 PM   #70

To date it appears we have two votes for Woodson Bridge State Recreation Area. Thanks Linda&Dale, Lou & Lore E. for responding. There is also an unnamed park in the Humboldt Redwoods. I know there is one couple from last year who is a working pair so travel too far might be a problem.

All three proposed sites offer a "camping" atmosphere rather than a stacked "cordwood" RV park setting.

If the proposed dates are accepted and the final destination is a California State Park (wherever it may be) reservations can be made seven months in advance. If the dates are July 17-19, reservations can be made starting March 1. A final destination needs to be made by then so those interested in attending can start making reservations.

Regarding proposed sites in central valley:
Yes, I agree with Lou & Lora E. that in September it could be hot at Woodson Bridge. On the other hand it could be very pleasant. (If only we had a crystal ball!) At McArthur-Burney Falls it could be cooler because it is at 3,000 foot elevation. Lots of hiking and interesting things to see.

Keep the discussions coming - - - -
Old 01-09-2010, 01:01 PM   #71

My BAD... he (Scott) was the jerk who murdered his wife, Laci Peterson, down in Modesto a number of years ago. He did it Christmas or Christmas eve. She was close to term with their first child. Jerk. He was schtupping some chick and decided that murder was better than divorce. Jerk. A true psychopath. Oh, and a Jerk.

Quote:
have to display my ignorance. don't know who ''THE Scott Peterson" is.

mine was not prominent, but not ordinary either. he and Norma, his wife, owned several pieces of property that the state of california, in it's infinite wisdom, decided that it needed more.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:03 PM   #72

I think Earl meant if the dates are SEPTEMBER 17-19...
Old 01-09-2010, 02:16 PM   #73

Quote:
My BAD... he (Scott) was the jerk who murdered his wife, Laci Peterson, down in Modesto a number of years ago. He did it Christmas or Christmas eve. She was close to term with their first child. Jerk. He was schtupping some chick and decided that murder was better than divorce. Jerk. A true psychopath. Oh, and a Jerk.
YES. thanks Alan. Carol Upton saw that and remined me also. yea, remember him now, but , like i told Carol, he really does,nt need remembering.
i remember that there was a guy on a jobsite i was on and he overheard a report on the radio about him. he made a comment. something like "they" should have hung the guy by now.
Old 01-09-2010, 02:20 PM   #74

Quote:
YES. thanks Alan. Carol Upton saw that and remined me also. yea, remember him now, but , like i told Carol, he really does,nt need remembering.
i remember that there was a guy on a jobsite i was on and he overheard a report on the radio about him. he made a comment. something like "they" should have hung the guy by now.

also. Lora sez, she would like the Burney area and that's where we finished the first part of our honeymoon.
Old 01-09-2010, 04:33 PM   #75

Quote:
I think Earl meant if the dates are SEPTEMBER 17-19...
You are right, Alan! The proposed dates are September 17-19. Reservations can then be made on March 1.

I like Burney Falls also. The campground is bigger and might be easier to get reservations. I haven't made reservations in the State Park System. Does anyone know if we can make specific site reservations or is it potluck according to where they have room?

More discussions are welcome - - - Earl
Old 01-09-2010, 05:57 PM   #76

AND for our Northern Calif Scampers, I ran a Mapqest from Arcata to Burney - 4 hours (3:56) / 195 miles.

And from Galt, 4 hours, 238 miles

So, in THAT respect it is actually the same. Go Figger.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:41 PM   #77

Trailer: Escape 19 ft
Hi all-

My wife and I'd like to weigh in with a vote for Burney Falls. I'm familiar with the area as I have relatives in the Redding area. There's wonderful fishing, hiking, boating, swimming and sightseeing all around. The campground is open and well laid-out. It's no more than 1 1/2 hours from Redding on good highway, and it's gorgeous.

Bruce Wray
Bruce Wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 11:21 PM   #78

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
I was planning a trip to the Dakotas but the hostess for that event hasn't spoke up.

I just put Burney Falls on my calendar for Sept 16-19. I haven't been there for years. It's an area that I've been meaning to explore once again, as well as the rest of Northeastern CA. I plan to go up Highway 88 to the junction of Highway 89 at Hope Valley then around Lake Tahoe and continue north on 89 and so forth. I plan to go as far Tule Lake to visit the Lava Tubes.

2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 02:06 PM   #79

I LOVE your route. From Galt I would have just done good old boring I-5, BUT - I love the idead of taking a really back roads approach.

Michele and I visited the lava tubes some years ago. Really COOL... fascinating AND actually "cool" inside.

Quote:
I was planning a trip to the Dakotas but the hostess for that event hasn't spoke up.

I just put Burney Falls on my calendar for Sept 16-19. I haven't been there for years. It's an area that I've been meaning to explore once again, as well as the rest of Northeastern CA. I plan to go up Highway 88 to the junction of Highway 89 at Hope Valley then around Lake Tahoe and continue north on 89 and so forth. I plan to go as far Tule Lake to visit the Lava Tubes.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:31 PM   #80

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Alan,

I'm not a freeway kind of gal.
I do most anything to avoid them as well as other major highways.

Now that you are "retired" you need to get out of the freeway mindset. There is no longer any reason to hot foot it to anywhere. Stop and smell the roses, often

Don't try to do everything this year. Spread it out and go slow.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote