Northern Oregon Gathering, Fall Event - Page 7 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2007, 07:30 PM   #121

Trailer: Casita 16 ft 1984 and U-Haul CT13 1985
Registry
Quote:
Well, we're contemplating going to Cape Disappointment in SW WA for a couple of days before we head into Champeog this coming week. Anybody been to CD? Disappointing?

Cheers,
Sharen
We camped at Cape Disappointment last August and found it stunningly beautiful. The only thing disappointing was that they charge admission to the Lewis & Clark Interpretive Center. We loved our stay there!

Click image for larger version

Name:	CapeDisappointment1.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	10428

best wishes,
Jeanne
Attached Thumbnails
CapeDisappointment2.jpg  
Jeanne and Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 07:58 PM   #122

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
What do you mean, "We dance around in our birthday suits..." ???
< Highlight text. Right mouse click. Delete. > . . . On second thought . . . I think I won't post that . . .
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 01:07 AM   #123

Trailer: 1994 Lil Bigfoot and 1967 Traveleze Royal Traveler
Quote:
Well, we're contemplating going to Cape Disappointment in SW WA for a couple of days before we head into Champeog this coming week. Anybody been to CD? Disappointing?

Cheers,
Sharen
It's nice enough. I doubt you'd regret staying there. But I think Ft. Stevens just across the bridge in Oregon is nicer. http://www.oregonstateparks.org/park_179.php

Pretty much a win either way, I'd say.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:00 AM   #124

Trailer: 2006 Casita Liberty Deluxe 17 ft
Quote:

Cheers,
Sharen
Cape disappointment is really neat. Some of the sites are almost "on" the beach. We camp there every year for the Annual Long Beach Bluegrass Festival. The small towns aren't too far away if you want to go for some clams or oysters, or a cold beer. In the off season its usually not crowded.

Cheers,
Rich
Rich S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 10:11 AM   #125

Quote:
< Highlight text. Right mouse click. Delete. > . . . On second thought . . . I think I won't post that . . .
Hello Peterh;

What part of Portland are you in? I saw a scamp parked in a driveway not too are from Deb's house in NE. She's in the Beaumont area close to Alameda.

Rich
Old 10-07-2007, 10:47 AM   #126

Trailer: 1997 16 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe (aka 'The Cramper')
Rich, Dave K, Jeanne...

Many thanks for your encouragement and happy snaps. We're packing up today and leaving after rush hour in the morning. About 5 hours from where we are to Cape Disappointment, with perhaps a stop across the bridge to check out Ft Stevens in the ensuing days. I've checked them all out on the Internet and looks good for available camp sites.

I take it that the highway back to the I-5 from Ft Stevens - Oregon's Rte 30 - is pretty decent? What about the scenic road Rte 4 on the WA side along the Columbia River? On Thursday we head on down to Champoeg to meet and greet all of you.

Again, thanks. Enthusiasm makes up a bit for these bleepin gray and gloomy skies.

On the road again soon
Sharen
HeathGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 11:23 AM   #127

Quote:
I take it that the highway back to the I-5 from Ft Stevens - Oregon's Rte 30 - is pretty decent? What about the scenic road Rte 4 on the WA side along the Columbia River?
4 is twisty but ok. 30 is an easier drive. The scenery on either isn't remarkable. Generally not the expansive views of the Columbia you might hope for. I usually take 30 even if I'm going to/from the Washington side (because I'm lazy .) If you needed to stop and replenish at stores, definitely 30. And in Oregon they'll pump your gas for you -- in fact it's mandatory and usually a couple cents cheaper.

((Ignore this paragraph if the high winds come true on your travel day. There are some pretty exposed stretches along 101.))
Other reasonable options if you like forest scenery, with good roads. Hwy 26 from Seaside. Hwy 6 from Tillamook. Hwys 18 ->22 towards Salem (this one will let you backroad into Champoeg thru farm country if you're adventurous.). All of these let you drive down 101 first, which does have some pretty good scenery. I'm partial to Hwy 6, but that might be because of the ice cream at the Tillamook Cheese factory.
If you were to go as far as 18, don't go into Lincoln City if you don't actually need to. Sometimes it can take an entire hour to get through. I've seen the traffic stack up all the way to the Hwy 18 interchange, for no apparent reason and at no particular time or day or time of year. Other times, you breeze right thru.

Safe travels. See you there.
Old 10-07-2007, 01:44 PM   #128

Thanks Dave. We've compared your comments to our maps and the tips on 6 or 26 sound good... We've road-tripped Hwy 101 from the Bay Area thru WA in an old Westfalia in years past, so we know about Lincoln... got caught there a couple of times. Arghhhh

Friends told us to dine at The Ark near Willapa Bay.
Any other recommendations?

Thanks again for your comments.
See you soon,
Sharen
Old 10-07-2007, 06:03 PM   #129

Name: Dave & Kathie
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
Oregon
Registry
Don't miss Sherry Walkers 42nd Street Cafe in Seaview - she was the chef at the Shoalwater restaurant ( 5 star) at the Shelburne Inn right up the street and opened up her own place a few years ago - you won't regret it! There's also a great little cafe in Ocean Park, but I can't remember the name - it's on the dead end street going toward the beach when you are in Ocean park. While you are up that way Osterville has a self guided tour through the historic little town - pick up brochure in the church. While in Osterville don't forget to get some fresh oysters. And Ledbetter park is a great spot for hiking and birdwatching on the north end of the penninsula.

Happy Trails - see you at Champoeg.

Kathie (& Dave)

Dave and Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 06:31 PM   #130

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Trillium
Is Wilsonville close to Shampoo Campground?
This forecast isn't horrifying...

10-DAY WEATHER for Wilsonville

Wed Oct 10 Few Showers 58°/47° 30 % chance

Thu Oct 11 Few Showers 57°/49° 30 % chance

Fri Oct 12 Few Showers 62°/49° 30 % chance

Sat Oct 13 Partly Cloudy 64°/47° 20 % chance

Sun Oct 14 Few Showers 65°/47° 30 % chance

Mon Oct 15 Showers 57°/47° 60 % chance
Sharon Herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 07:02 PM   #131

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Is Wilsonville close to Shampoo Campground?
This forecast isn't horrifying...
Willsonville is pretty close to Champoeg Campground.

Hmm Wonder where shampoo campground is. Boy does that bring up all kind of images.
I've checked three weather sites and none look really good or really bad. Typical PNW weather, cool and a possible shower or two.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:10 PM   #132

Quote:
Don't miss Sherry Walkers 42nd Street Cafe
Dave & Kathie are absolutely right! Anyone asks about food in that area, I tell them to go here first. http://www.42ndstreetcafe.com/
But according to their email newsletter, they've been revising their hours back and forth. I'd call first and double check when they're actually open, since it's about a 20-25 minute drive from the Campground. From home, if nothing else. They recommend dinner reservations, but I've always gotten seated. Breakfast is way good, too. Haute Cuisine on the coast.

In Astoria, The Ship Inn is good. Nothing special, just a good meal at a reasonable price They've got a decent bowl of chowder. http://www.oldoregon.com/dining/ship_inn_the

If you make it clear to Tillamook, ice cream at the Tillamook Cheese Factory. Can you sense a recurring theme here? At the north end of town, can't miss it. For a sandwich, you're MUCH better off going about a mile south to http://www.blueheronoregon.com/. Wonderful deli, frequent local award winner.

See you at Champoeg!
Old 10-07-2007, 07:13 PM   #133

Quote:
I've checked three weather sites and none look really good or really bad. Typical PNW weather, cool and a possible shower or two.
Inland sounds relatively ok. There's been talk of a storm at sea that either will or won't bring high winds to the coast midweek. I only mentioned it because Sharen will be on the road at that time, on the coast at least at the beginning of the drive/
Old 10-07-2007, 08:28 PM   #134

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
We were just in "shampoo" park this weekend doing a cooking event with full 1850 costumes for their apple celebration, and rain had been promised but the weather was not too bad. It tried to drizzle off and on but no steady downpours and wasn't really cold. Guess our luck at NOGs couldn't hold out forever. The last fall was perfect as was the spring weather.
Linda R002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 10:45 PM   #135

Trailer: 1988 19 ft Scamp
Yeah! I got a spot at Champoeg for Friday night. I've tried to take my kids camping there several times over the last two years and have never been able to get a spot. I am amazed that even one night came available.

Unfortunately, we're in the "other" loop (B-loop) in site B22. The good thing is that cleanup when I get home will be easy 'cause I won't have anything dropping on the trailer since there are no large trees in B-loop (yes, the trailer gets a washing after every trip...my wife would be so lucky if I bathed that often )

Can't wait to see everyone again and get another camping trip in this year.

-Isaac
Isaac M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 08:07 AM   #136

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Too cool Isaac, be sure to bring bicycles. Champoeg has some wonderful bike trails.

On the what-to-bring list, if you have an E-Z-Up type canopy, please bring it. We'll need to cover the picnic tables, etc. What the heck, this is why we own trailers, so a little dampness doesn't spoil our good times. I'm bringing the burning barrel and have four bundles of wood and PLENTY of kindling and paper. More wood would be nice (say that twice fast!)

20%-30% chance of rain, means there's a 70%-80% chance it won't!

Don't forget your nametags!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 09:38 AM   #137

Quote:
See you at Champoeg!

ETD here this morning in about 30 minutes. We travel with laptop, so we shall be in touch. Thanks again for the dining tips, esp the heads-up on 42nd St. We've also learned about the Confluence Project installation - Maya Lin - at Ilwaca and Cape Disappointment, so that will be a compelling site to see. We admire her work.

And to whoever mentioned bike trails at Champoeg (Shampoo? I think I get the yoke...) thanks. I'm going to tell Simon to toss his two-wheeler in the cramper. He'll enjoy that. Mine's had a flat for 7 yrs. Hardy har.

OK, I LIKE what I'm reading about the sunbreaks and low rain percentages, um, like they're reliable... NICE TRY!!! Anybody hear about the COLLASSAL STORM BLOWING IN TOMORROW, TUESDAY, RIGHT ABOUT AT THE AREA WE'LL BE CRAMPING IN. Do Casitas float? Should we fill the rig with heavy rocks? Rocks in our pockets too?

Well, it will be what it will be, as as someone said, that's why we have Casitas and not tents.

Remember the optomistic mantra of all PNWers...
Taint rainin'

See you soon,
Sharen
Old 10-08-2007, 09:51 AM   #138

Quote:
[b]Don't forget your nametags!
Donna -

[b]Nametags?? Are there special ones or do we just make some up?
Old 10-08-2007, 09:58 AM   #139

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Donna -
[b]Nametags?? Are there special ones or do we just make some up?
Make 'em. Be creative, or not. We had some GREAT nametags at the spring event. I'm giving away a prize.

It's just that name tags make is soo much easier for all us (ahemm) older folks
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 04:15 AM   #140

Trailer: 1987 20 ft Bigfoot 5th Wheel
I am very sorry to say that we will not be able to attend the NOG after all. Chris has done an amazing amount of work, but our fixer-upper isn't quite fixed up enough to be ready for camping yet. The biggest problem all summer was that other home improvement projects needed to be done before tackling the RV project. If the weather would have cooperated lately, we might have made it. But rain and doing fiberglass repair to the entire roof just don't mix. So, Space A-36 is now available. We hope to see you all at the Spring NOG.

Maureen
Maureen M. is offline   Reply With Quote