Name: Rob
Trailer: Casita
Kansas
Registry
Oct 11-15, 2012: Kansas Flint Hills Retreat and Discovery

2012 Flint Hills Retreat and Discovery

Dates: October 11 – October 15, 2012

All Fiberglass Trailer Owners Invited

This is an opportunity to discover the Kansas Flint Hills & Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve with area experts.

It will not be an annual event.

You are invited to come and just have a Retreat in a scenic special place or participate in events of Discovery of the region.

Scenic roads and trails await you with prairie sunrises and sunsets and coyotes serenading you at night.

Cost is $10 per night per person. $20 minimum

A Dinner at the Emma Chase Cafe is included.

Chuckwagon dinner at Flying W Ranch would be extra. There is some historical significance to this in that Dr Jim Hoy and his son (ranch owner) are related to Charles Goodnight the inventor of the Chuckwagon and one of the most famous cowboys in history.

The Tallgrass Prairie once covered 140 million acres of North America. Within a generation, the vast majority was developed and plowed under. Today less than 4% remains, mostly here in the Kansas Flint Hills.

Dr. Jim Hoy has agreed to speak with our group and share history of the region and cowboy folklore. Jim is a lifetime resident of the Flint Hills and author of numerous books relating to Cowboy Heritage throughout the Flint Hills, including Flint Hills Cowboys, Tales of the Tallgrass Prairie. Dr. Hoy is a professor of English and director of the Center for Great Plains Studies at Emporia State University.

National Park Service Rangers will be available to give guided bus tours of the 11,000 acre Tallgrass Prairie Preserve. Ranger led tours of the historic Spring Hill Ranch will be available and self guided tour brochures are also available.

A chuckwagon dinner and access to trails on the 7,000 acre working Flying W Ranch is being discussed.

Hope to have Annie Wilson and the Tallgrass Express Sting Band perform for our group. Annie and her group perform many of their own original songs written in traditional style about Kansas and the land and life of the Flint Hills.

More on Camp Wood
-Trailers will be parked in grassy area used for soccer fields
-Shower Building w/stalls
-Water available, limited electrical outlets available nearby
-Large covered outdoor pavilion with tables
-Stone Chapel Building available for increment weather
-Pets on leash and waste picked up
-No open alcohol consumption (be discrete)
-Dumpsite available in Swope Park in nearby Cottonwood Falls
-WiFi

Old 10-27-2011, 03:51 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Kansas
Registry
http://casitaadventures.smugmug.com/...192110_BrCnK5C

“As to scenery (giving my own thought and feeling), while I know the standard claim is that Yosemite, Niagara Falls, the Upper Yellowstone and the like afford the greatest natural shows, I am not so sure but the prairies and plains, while less stunning at first sight, last longer, fill the esthetic sense fuller, precede all the rest, and make North America’s characteristic landscape.”

–Walt Whitman, Specimen Days (1879)

I kinda think Walt had it right.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:14 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Kansas
Registry
In order to avoid duplicate posts on this event, please refer to the post on Casita Travel Trailer Forum. Thanks!

2012 Flint Hills Retreat and Discovery - Casita Travel Trailer Forum
Old 10-28-2011, 06:28 AM   #4

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
What a neat looking place...
Old 12-08-2011, 08:59 AM   #5

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Is this open to all fiberglass trailers, or is it only For Casita?

Not a member of Casita forum so can not access any of the links over there as a guest.

Is this the Camp Wood YMCA campground just south of Elmdale? When I put Camp Wood into a search engine that is what I find. Looking at maps I don't see the soccer fields, bit then I am used to looking for hockey rinks.

Thanks, Nancy
Old 12-16-2011, 08:28 PM   #6

Name: Tom
Kansas
Nancy,

I'm not Rob, but can answer your questions. It open to all FG campers. Yes, Camp Wood is a YMCA camp.

Tom
Old 12-16-2011, 10:32 PM   #7

Name: Roger
Trailer: U Hall VT
Michigan
Registry
It sounds like fun, we'll try to make it, the chuck wagon dinner sounds like fun also.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:56 AM   #8

Name: John
Trailer: Scamp 5th Wheel
Oklahoma
Sounds like my wife and I would like to attend.

The Tall Grass Praire is awsome on the Oklahoma divisional side of the border.

I always wanted a closer look, at the other side.

Can't wait for the chuck wagon grub!

See you in October.

John
Old 03-25-2012, 12:36 AM   #9
Commercial Member

Kansas
Registry
The 2012 Flint Hills Retreat and Discovery event is shaping up nicely.

We have a great group of participants, most of which I have met before and know that we have a shared love of the outdoors. I am admittedly excited about sharing the Flint Hills with the group. We still have room for others that may be interested.

I love the informality of some of our past events. Because this is likely a one time event, I do have some events scheduled that will expose the group to some of the very best that the Flint Hills has to offer. I have made an effort to spread the events out so as not to wear everybody out. None of the events are mandatory.

I would like to start firming up a list of those attending. This will help me a lot working with the folks at Camp Wood. No one needs to commit any monies until about 45 days before the event.

Attached is an agenda for the event. I have firmed up the dates with all the participants listed.

I would like each person planning on attending to provide me with their email address and cell phone numbers (for emergencies) so I can start making a distribution list to begin sharing other information.

Please email me at rrupp4@cox.net. Phone me with any questions you have at 316-214-3911.

Addtional Information:
2012 Flint Hills Retreat and Discovery - Casita Adventures Photography by Rob Rupp

Thanks!
Old 03-28-2012, 07:40 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Kansas
Registry
Attached is an attendee list compiled from several forums. Please advise me of any changes.

Thanks,

Event Summary Information:
2012 Flint Hills Retreat and Discovery - Casita Adventures Photography by Rob Rupp
Old 04-15-2012, 03:51 PM   #11
Commercial Member

Kansas
Registry
Attached is updated information for the Flint Hills event with an updated listing of possible attendees.

Looks like many participants are currently out traveling. Hope everyone is avoiding the inclement weather.

Good news is that tornados are rare in Kansas in October

Safe travels to all.

Old 04-15-2012, 04:32 PM   #12
Commercial Member

Kansas
Registry
!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
Is this open to all fiberglass trailers, or is it only For Casita?

Not a member of Casita forum so can not access any of the links over there as a guest.

Is this the Camp Wood YMCA campground just south of Elmdale? When I put Camp Wood into a search engine that is what I find. Looking at maps I don't see the soccer fields, bit then I am used to looking for hockey rinks.

Thanks, Nancy
Nancy, as Tom indicates, the event is open to all fiberglass trailers. I will continue to post updates on this forum. The camping area we will use is adjacent to the main lodge. Let me know if you can make it!
Old 05-25-2012, 11:59 AM   #13

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
We are Scamp owners, but we will be there. Should we have reservations?

Judy & Terry
Old 05-26-2012, 03:37 PM   #14
Commercial Member

Kansas
Registry
Judy and Terry.

Welcome to the group. The list has been updated to include you.

With your inclusion, I need to consider the event full at this time. I think we have a right sized group for the the planned events.