NC OCT 13-16,2011:Fall Rally in Cherokee NC - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2011, 07:21 AM   #41

Name: Kip
Trailer: 2003 Casita 17' SD Deluxe, Towed by '09 Honda Ridgeline.
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post

Good Grief.

Ask at the local gas station, or here's a map:

And here are the actual DIRECTIONS as posted on the website!

From the South (Atlanta, GA):
Follow I-85 North to I-985
Take I-985 to Hwy 23. Hwy 23 will join with Hwy 441 North
Follow 23/441 North until it joins Hwy 74
Follow Hwy 74 West/441 North to Exit 74
Take Exit 74 which is Hwy 441 North to Cherokee and the Great Smoky Mountains
Go 4 miles to second traffic light
Turn right onto Hwy 441 North Business
Go 1 mile to stoplight and turn right onto Hwy 19 North
Go 3 miles to Happy Holiday which is on the left

Hope this helps

Francesca

It does. But take a look at the directions from the Atlanta.

There are no mention of miles to the next turn until the last 8 miles.
The campgrounds are approximately 150+ miles from our house.
And yeah, I could make it with those directions, if they accurate.

Taking wrong turns or missing turns or looking for a turn or a place to get directions while pulling a camper, is just not as much "FUN" as it use to be. For this 70 year old dude!

Wouldn't it be better to have a correct address or correct cordinates ?

Even the lady at the camp ground told me YOU CAN"T find us with our posted address. So put in this other one. (Which doesn't work for us)
For instance using the address she said to use, the GPS said to turn left off of 441 onto Hy 19. Yet in the printed instructions above we should turn right and go 3 miles. Actually Right is correct to the best of my recollection and mapquest. .

Mapquest agrees with the Whittier address I used earlier.

But both of these show the Campground being 1.7 miles east of 441/19.
In reality it is more like 3 miles.

Thanks,
Kip
Kip in Ga. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 08:23 AM   #42

Georgia
[QUOTE=Radar1;266988]Google maps shows it at these coordinates;
35.471173,-83.246777
Or, coverted to DMS
35° 28' 16.2228" -83° 14' 48.3966"[/QUOTE]

YES!

Even the last turn and distance is correct as far as I can tell.

How did you find those cordinates on Mapquest?

I asked Mapquest for directions and got them, but got no cordinates.

Thanks,
Kip
Old 08-28-2011, 03:14 PM   #43

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 (was 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up)
Registry
Kip,
I use Google maps, maps.google.com
If you can get close, and find the campsite in satellite view, just zoom in until you see the entrance and "right click" on that spot. You'll then get a drop-down menu and you can click on "directions to here". When you do that, the coordinates will pop up in the destination window on the left, in Decimal Degrees. If you need degrees, minutes, seconds instead, then you can convert those at the FCC website or use a calculator.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 03:26 PM   #44

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
I'm an old fashioned map-and-compass kinda guy who doesn't mind actually stopping locally to ask for directions. I assume the directions from Asheville will get me pretty close, won't they? I once drove from VA to Indiana and had a hard time finding a rifle range that most people in the town nearby didn't know about... I guess folks in the Cherokee area know about this camp ground, don't they?

Froggie

PS Has anybody made reservations in the last day or two? Are spaces still available?
Green Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:18 AM   #45

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
I'm an old fashioned map-and-compass kinda guy who doesn't mind actually stopping locally to ask for directions. I assume the directions from Asheville will get me pretty close, won't they? I once drove from VA to Indiana and had a hard time finding a rifle range that most people in the town nearby didn't know about... I guess folks in the Cherokee area know about this camp ground, don't they?

Froggie

PS Has anybody made reservations in the last day or two? Are spaces still available?

Froggie,

The sites thay have reserved for us are sites 94 or 95-108. They are considered "Premium" sites, and beside the stream. Real pictureque. When I set up my reservations on 08/21 they had a few of those still available. Directly across the road are more "Premium" sites beside the pond.
http://www.happyholidayrv.com/pdf/Happy-Holiday-RV-Village-Site-Map.pdf When we were there last year all the "water side" sites were full and some were camped on adjacent campsites. Still convenient to the group!

The directions from Ashville look to be comprehensive enough with approximate distances to turns. Directions from the south are not so good!

FWIW there are quite a few campgrounds in that "resort" area.

At 70 years old I've certainly used my share of maps, dead reconing, and asking directions.Much of it with a van full of kids and a 30' camper in tow. But as I've grown older I've lost the enthusiasm for such, when there are much better ways.

The cordinates on their web page will take you around the back side of the park. There may be an entrance there. I was thinking the entrance to be on Hy19.

John's cordinates will put you at the entrance, or at least where the entrance was last year.

The park is nice, and the rally promises to be a lot of fun.

Premium sites are $44 nightly. Rates for our group are $32
That is a pretty nice discount!

Kip
Old 09-05-2011, 08:06 AM   #46

Georgia
Gosh it sure is quiet.
Anybody got a head count?

Kip
Old 09-05-2011, 11:51 AM   #47

Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Ford Ranger
Can't see that finding the campground will be a problem. we travelled almost 5,000 miles to get there last year and had no trouble finding it. Hope the meet is as good as a year ago, and that troubador steve shows up again.
hi to all
Ian-Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 02:33 PM   #48

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian-Vicki View Post
Can't see that finding the campground will be a problem. we travelled almost 5,000 miles to get there last year and had no trouble finding it. Hope the meet is as good as a year ago, and that troubador steve shows up again.
hi to all
That's a heap of miles! Where did y'all come from?

Kip
Old 09-06-2011, 05:55 AM   #49

Name: Josie&Craig
Trailer: Escape 21
South Carolina
Registry
We're signed up for site 100. We'll be in on Friday evening.

We previewed the park on Saturday (Sept.3) as we were camping not too far away at Mile High Campground where it was shady and oh-so nice and cool.

They were jammed full, but a gent was nice enough to take us for a look-see in one of their golf carts. Site are small but right on the river and mostly shaded.

Something Mr. 2yax and I appreciate is that it is not dead downtown Cherokee, but a few miles outside town on Highway 19 on the left headed toward Soco Gap. Nice big sign, big store in front....easy to see from the road.

On another note, if you want to do something more rustic than downtown Cherokee, New Found Gap Road (441) runs to Gatlinburg and is a beautiful ride following the Oconaluftee River with numerous pullouts for some great picture shooting. Mingus Mill (a still working Grist Mill that we didn't have time to see) is on that road as well as the Gap itself where Roosevelt dedicated the Park. Clingman's Dome with it's half mile uphill hike to the observation tower is worth it if you have the grit to make it to the top....the view is jaw dropping on a clear day. It's a paved trail, but very steep with lots of resting spots for those of us in not as good shape as we used to be. (that would be me). I could go on and on, but you can look online for the rest or stop at the Sugarlands Visitors Center for all the info you care to know about the area.

See y'all inna few weeks.

(Note: I do not work for the Park Service....just love the area)

"Not all those who wander are lost." (J.R.R. Tolkein from Lord of the Rings..."Strider's Poem")
2yax2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 07:21 PM   #50

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Yea! 16 registered so far so good. Hope to see yall in Oct in Cherokee NC
CindyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 12:37 PM   #51

Virginia
Registry
Cindy, et al,

I just registered for Friday and Saturday nights with the possibility that I may call back and try to get Thursday too if I can get away soon enough. I got one of the last two sites that had been blocked in for us, #831, which is one of the "across the road" sites. From what the ladies I talked to said, it sounds like we are at about 20 units now. Is this a lot? I've never seen that many eggs in one basket before!

As I said before, I'll plan on bringing my Burro-in-progress along and will pack my Mountain Dulcimer for accompaniment. It is carried in a black nylon assault rifle case. When people see it the first time, they are afraid it's a gun. After they hear me play, they wish it had been.

I haven't been to that part of the world in early October for a while, and this will be my first sojourn there with the Burro, so planning bedding and clothing will be a bit of a challenge. Do folks plan to gather around for anything in particular to do while there, or will this just be kinda free form? I'm planning on making a big pot of Summer-style Gumbo (with the okra) if the weather cooperates, maybe I can find a few folks to help me eat it, so I won't have to do it all alone!

Now that I actually have reservations it's starting to seem more real to me. I'm looking forward to seeing and meeting a bunch of you in person after all our time together on the forum.

Regards,
Froggie

PS Any other Burro-istas coming?
Old 09-22-2011, 04:57 PM   #52

Name: Nicholas
Trailer: LiL Snoozy
South Carolina
Howdy all!!,
We just reserved a few spots for the ralley!! Looking at the park map, we will be across the lane from the the original spots reserved (by the lake). Boy o' Boy did those spots fill up! Judging by this thread and the people at the campground we should have a great turn out.

Anyone needing a LP propane heater, I have 6 12,000BTU Atwood Mobile LP heaters. They are from before we went all electric and I am selling them at my cost just to get rid of them. I will make a new thread in the "For Sale" forum. So check it out and let me know if you are going to be at the ralley and I will bring it to save on shipping.

Looking forward to seeing all of ya'll!

Nicholas
LiL Snoozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:11 PM   #53

Virginia
Registry
What's the latest on this event? I haven't seen or heard much of anything since I registered for my place. Is there any kind of schedule of event, etc? Looking forward to this, my very first Egg Rally.

Froggie
Old 09-26-2011, 05:29 AM   #54

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiL Snoozy View Post
Howdy all!!,
We just reserved a few spots for the ralley!! Looking at the park map, we will be across the lane from the the original spots reserved (by the lake). Boy o' Boy did those spots fill up! Judging by this thread and the people at the campground we should have a great turn out.

Anyone needing a LP propane heater, I have 6 12,000BTU Atwood Mobile LP heaters. They are from before we went all electric and I am selling them at my cost just to get rid of them. I will make a new thread in the "For Sale" forum. So check it out and let me know if you are going to be at the ralley and I will bring it to save on shipping.

Looking forward to seeing all of ya'll!

Nicholas
Nicholas,

Looking forward to seeing your creations.

What site #s have you reserved ?

Kip
Old 09-26-2011, 07:48 AM   #55

Georgia
Smile

Quote:
What's the latest on this event? I haven't seen or heard much of anything since I registered for my place. Is there any kind of schedule of event, etc? Looking forward to this, my very first Egg Rally.

Froggie
Last year, for the short time we "Visited", It appeared pretty low keyed, with folks visiting one another, and some were just sitting under their awnings enjoying the beautiful weather.
Some were full time campers. There were couples as well as singles. Just a wide variety of folks with the common interest of Camping in a variety of different types of "Eggs".

Of course the location allows you to "Explore" the mountains and various attractions by car.

Don't know if any "Official" activities are planned, other than the "Pot Luck" and music on Saturday night.

If ya like camping, like people, like beautiful scenery, like the smells of coffee and bacon in the early morning, and like doing what you want to do without pressure, you will throughly enjoy the Rally!

BTW, Gumbo with real OKRA sounds like a winner.

Kip
Old 09-26-2011, 04:40 PM   #56

Talking

Quote:

Froggie
Hey Froggie We will have a schedule that you can go by I will post it in a couple of weeks. we have a pot luck on Sat nite so bring a dish and usually the food is great. Will post more later.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:45 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip in Ga. View Post
Last year, for the short time we "Visited", It appeared pretty low keyed, with folks visiting one another, and some were just sitting under their awnings enjoying the beautiful weather.
Some were full time campers. There were couples as well as singles. Just a wide variety of folks with the common interest of Camping in a variety of different types of "Eggs".

Of course the location allows you to "Explore" the mountains and various attractions by car.

Don't know if any "Official" activities are planned, other than the "Pot Luck" and music on Saturday night.

If ya like camping, like people, like beautiful scenery, like the smells of coffee and bacon in the early morning, and like doing what you want to do without pressure, you will throughly enjoy the Rally!

BTW, Gumbo with real OKRA sounds like a winner.

Kip
Gumbo with okra sounds good we will have other things to do but most of it is your free time to explore the area. The new welcome center has a picture of a Casita camping in the mountains and its very interesting to go there I will have info packs about the area so you cane visit places close by. more info to come.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:20 PM   #58

Name: Troy
Trailer: Burro 13'
Kentucky
Looks like I'll be there also, I just reserved site 924a. Hope I like this site it's on the end.
Troy Hawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 05:10 AM   #59

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Hawkins View Post
Looks like I'll be there also, I just reserved site 924a. Hope I like this site it's on the end.
Hi Troy,

I tried to talk the wife into that one.

I like the idea of looking out the front and seeing "most" of the other "Eggs", instead of the back of someones camper. Even though 924A is very visible it is still secluded and will likely be a bit quieter for the mid day naps. If that makes any sense at all.

We discussed it for a while and decided to compromise! We are on 101.

Kip
Old 10-01-2011, 11:02 AM   #60

Name: Troy
Trailer: Burro 13'
Kentucky
Hi Kip
The lady at the camp ground told me I could move if I did not like the site but I do not see that happening. This will be my 1st egg Rally if I do not goto the one on Oct 6-9, at Land Between the Lakes that will depend on work.
Troy
Troy Hawkins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fall, rally