Official Matagorda Island TX gathering thread - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2007, 10:59 AM   #1

Trailer: 2005 Scamp
Well it seems like there is interest this year to have a Matagorda gathering. We will plan to meet at Matagorda Island RV Park December 7th, 8th and 9th. It is a new park with full hook-ups, lighted piers (both river and gulf), kayaking, birding, fishing and relaxing. There are no blocks of slots reserved, and there are no planned activities just come out enjoy the fellowship and have fun. We may all get together and go down the road for dinner Friday or Saturday night. Maybe one day if we continue this gathering we may turn it into a full blown rally. December seems to be a time when there isn't many gatherings so this one gives everyone a chance to get out in the winter and away from the shopping malls.

This time of year on the Texas Gulf Coast is a roll of the dice as far as weather goes. It could be in the 70's or it could be in the 30's like it was last year. Last December we had 10 units show up and we were pleasantly surprised. The LCRA Matagorda Bay RV Park is a real nice and very clean. If would like to join us, you must make reservations through Texas Parks and Wildlife (512-389-8900 follow phone menu).
http://www.matagordabayrv.com/
If you plan on attending, please reply to this post and let us and your friends know you have reservations.

See ya there if not before at the PineKnot.

Blair & Jeanette

Click image for larger version

Name:	texas.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	10570
McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 08:41 PM   #2

Trailer: 2007 Scamp 13 ft / 2005 Jeep Wrangler 6 cyl
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Scallan
Talking

Ok, really looking forward to this. As I said earlier, I have a history with Matagorda Island. I was station there for 3+ years....my job was to sit down on the live bomb drop area and score the live bomb drops for accuracy...hey what do you want, I was a one striper and did what I was told! Now the question I have....when I was there the only way to the island was a ferry.how do we get our rigs on the island? Is there a bridge, or is it still a ferry? Also, my daughter and family live in Port O'Connor, the "jumping off" point to get to the island, so it will be a reunion with them................and my ex wife, who thankfully I have very good relations with is the Justice of the Peace in Calhoun county..here come the Judge....so it will be nice to see here again(aren't I a nice guy!)

See you there!
Robert Scallan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 09:05 PM   #3

Robert, you may have the Matagorda's mixed up here. Our get together will be on Matagorda Island out of the town Matagorda in a LCRA park, and not Matagorda Island St. Park which is out of Port O'Connor. Unfortunately or fortunately you will be about 86 miles away from Port O'Connor.

Blair
Old 07-09-2007, 08:52 AM   #4

Talking

Quote:
Robert, you may have the Matagorda's mixed up here. Our get together will be on Matagorda Island out of the town Matagorda in a LCRA park, and not Matagorda Island St. Park which is out of Port O'Connor. Unfortunately or fortunately you will be about 86 miles away from Port O'Connor.

Blair
I was indeed confused....when everyone started speaking of Matagorda ISLAND , I of course thought back to my days living on the island and later in Port O'Connor.....you all are taking about Matagorda Peninsula , where by you enter through the town of Matagorda!! Close in distance, but very differant places....I know see how one gets their rigs to the campground....by land since it is indeed not an island. That's cool....I have never been to the peninsula, as so I'm looking forward to it...I can visit the island when I stop by Port O'Connor to see my daughter and her family. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:07 AM   #5

The LCRA description is "The beautiful, brand-new Matagorda Bay RV Park is located at the mouth of the Colorado River on Matagorda Island." There is a swing bridge over the inter-coastal canal that puts you on the island.

Sorry for any confusion, and I hope it still works out OK for you.

Blair
Old 07-09-2007, 09:49 AM   #6

Talking

Quote:
The LCRA description is "The beautiful, brand-new Matagorda Bay RV Park is located at the mouth of the Colorado River on Matagorda Island." There is a swing bridge over the inter-coastal canal that puts you on the island.

Sorry for any confusion, and I hope it still works out OK for you.

Blair
Ok ...got it now...no problem on the confusion part.. ..I should have read the info completely....bu now I got it...you go over a bridge! Comming in from the south side of the peninsula and take the bridge to the north side of ther island....so that's great, I will be able to take a trip down memory lane........thanks....I'm going to make my reservations.looking forward to meeting some of you folks.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:04 PM   #7

Talking

Made my reservations for this get together. Looking forward to meeting some folks.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:02 PM   #8

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Robert, you are apparently still confused.

You don't enter from the south, you enter from the north. When you reach the town of Matagorda you have come to the end of that road. You either rerurn the way you came or turn south to Matagorda Island.

The bridge has a removable, floating barge as its center section. When a barge and tug come by they tow the center section of the bridge out of the channel to make way for intercoastal traffic.

When you reach the south end of the road you are at the RV Park. There is no other exit except to return the way you came.
CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 10:15 PM   #9

Talking

Quote:
Robert, you are apparently still confused.

You don't enter from the south, you enter from the north. When you reach the town of Matagorda you have come to the end of that road. You either rerurn the way you came or turn south to Matagorda Island.

The bridge has a removable, floating barge as its center section. When a barge and tug come by they tow the center section of the bridge out of the channel to make way for intercoastal traffic.

When you reach the south end of the road you are at the RV Park. There is no other exit except to return the way you came.
Ok, as I re-read my post I can see how it did not sound like I got it....really am brighter than this post indicates....I realize you enter the area by way of the town of Matagorda, go down the peninsula and arrive at the south end, take the bridge to the island...thanks
Old 07-10-2007, 08:00 AM   #10

All this discussion has started to confuse me.

As a way of assisting everyone I prepared two pictures that my help clear the confusion.

In the first, the city of Matagorda (and the bridge) is in the top center and the Matagorda Bay RV Park is in the bottom center.

Name:	Matagorda_RV_Park_1__Medium_.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	8807

The second is a close up of the RV park sgowing its entrance at Sun Rd.

Name:	Matagorda_RV_Park_2__Medium_.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	8808

Both pictures are from MSN Virtual Earth.

When we travel to an new rv park I always look to see precisely where there are on virtual earth because MS Streets and trip has so many rv park icons misplaced.
Old 08-11-2007, 04:29 PM   #11

Trailer: Casita
I plan on being there. It will be my first group camp out with my Casita.
Debbie Ferrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 05:42 PM   #12

Great, welcome!

Quote:
I plan on being there. It will be my first group camp out with my Casita.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:21 PM   #13

Thumbs down

I just wanted to post a response on this thread so it goes to the top of the list. We have 9 or 10 weeks before the gathering.

Blair
Old 10-07-2007, 06:09 PM   #14

Name: Phil
Trailer: 17ft 98 Casita FD
Texas
Just got home from Pine Knott, we are gonna see if we can make this one as well..
Phil Underwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 08:43 AM   #15

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to bill&sandra
We have reservations, and will see youall there.
Bill & Sandy
bill&sandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 09:22 PM   #16

My father registered today and he was told by the TPWD/LCRA folks that all sites at the park have 50 and 30 amp service.

Blair
Old 10-25-2007, 07:32 PM   #17

Registry
Quote:
Great, welcome!
for folks coming on their first gathering, these folks are very welcoming, tolerant, and helpful.
We all can't wait to meet and greet!
our first time was PineKnot last year and just immediately felt at home---wayyyy better than your best family reunion! ha!
Old 10-31-2007, 08:31 PM   #18

We are approximately 5 weeks away and it looks like we are going to have a great turn out with possibly 3 times the attendance of last year. That is awesome!!

We have heard from many that are attending. Some like the no structure rally and others have wished for more structure. We have decided to keep the rally with no structure but with everyone gathering Saturday night for dinner. There are numerous rallies throughout the year with plenty of activities, but if this one does continue to grow structure may be warranted. We will meet Saturday night at River Bend Restaurant and Tavern at 6:30, towards town and on the same road as the park.

While at dinner we may kick around what this gathering may be officially named. Some have called it Matagorda madness assuming because of the unusually cold weather we had last year. We will start with one suggestion “Third Coast FGRV Rally”. This time of year is a great time of year to go to the Gulf because of no crowds, snakes and mosquitos and a great chance to get away from the cement jungle between Thanksgiving and Christmas. We would like to keep this rally somewhere around the Gulf but as time goes by it may not always be in Matagorda. We would like to keep it somewhere between the Bolivar Peninsula and South Padre Island Texas. So think of what you would like to submit as the official gathering name and we can vote at dinner Saturday.

Below are two structured excursions provided by LCRA that you may want to register for besides the obvious hiking, bicycling, birding, fishing and beachcombing at the park on your own.

Living on the Beach December 8th
1 ˝ hour long info session $8 per person, minimum registrants is 8
Survival between earth and sea brings forth some of the Texas' most amazing animals. Join park staff to discover the creatures that call the Colorado River and Matagorda Beach their home. Program includes birding, beach exploration, and beachcombing. Pre-registration is required. Call Matagorda Bay Nature Park at 1-800-776-5272, Ext. 4740 or email matagordabay@lcra.org.

Day on the Bay Wetland Kayak Trip December 8th
9 am – 1 pm, ages 8 and up, $50 – our boat & equipment, $25 – your boat & equipment. Minimum registrants is 6
Escape from the everyday world while paddling through a unique natural wetlands habitat. Home to a broad array of coastal waterfowl; discover why Matagorda County is number one in the nation for bird species diversification. Bring water shoes, sunscreen, bug spray, water and snacks for this two and a half-mile excursion. Pre-registration is required. Call Matagorda Bay Nature Park at 1-800-776-5272, Ext.
4740 or email matagordabay@lcra.org.

Both of these excursions will not happen unless there are enough pre-registered attendees. If you think you want to participate, please register ASAP.

See ya there,
Steve Nussenblatt
Blair McClure
Old 11-01-2007, 09:39 AM   #19

For those who register for either of the the two excursions, let me know when you are registered and I will add that data to the attendees list. My email address is mycasita@tx.rr.com.

Also, anyone that has registered at the campground and has not received an attendees list from me can also send me an email and I will send them a ciopy of the list.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:23 PM   #20

Registry
[quote]
We are approximately 5 weeks away and it looks like we are going to have a great turn out with possibly 3 times the attendance of last year. That is awesome!!

We have heard from many that are attending. Some like the no structure rally and others have wished for more structure. We have decided to keep the rally with no structure but with everyone gathering Saturday night for dinner. There are numerous rallies throughout the year with plenty of activities, but if this one does continue to grow structure may be warranted. We will meet Saturday night at River Bend Restaurant and Tavern at 6:30, towards town and on the same road as the park.

I have an indoor activity if anybody interested; would need at least 4 or 5 to sign up: basically reply to this
bead a memory bracelet that circles your wrist three times. no expenditure. but you will need to purchase;
65 glass beads with 15 beads being the size of your thumbnail. others misc sizes and colors to your liking.
--make it for yourself or as a gift.
-- I will bring memory wire and tools, you bring the beads!!!
--would be good activity if it is particulary cold or rainy!
--men: you can even make one for the lovely lady in your life!

If enough interest then cool! You'll want to make more once you learn how to do this.