Reality camping - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-20-2003, 10:38 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Reality camping

I like to really see and do when I travel. Really not the wax museum type. I am looking for ideas about places, festivals and situations where I can see or do unique things or where I can become a temporary part of a real community.

My senses are muddled from years of city living and I am looking for places and people who can help me see other sides of life.

I am thinking of things like powwows, folk festivals, bluegrass music, unique arts festivals, organic farms, cooperative living communities, etc. I am not interested so much in the events put on to raise tourist dollars. I am looking for "reality living." Experiences that are outside the mainstream, tourists in polyester shorts snapping photos kinda stuff. It does not have to be events either. I would love to spend a few days or weeks working on an ostrich farm or volunteering at an animal refuge.

Any ideas? Feel free to e-mail me if you don't want to post to the list.

Old 05-23-2003, 02:39 PM   #2

Festivals.com

Festivals.com, festivalfinder.com, Southfest.com.

You might also consider going to a Sports car (or motorbike) race at one of the following places (East coast): Road Atlanta, Virginia International Speedway, Watkins Glen NY, Lime Rock Park, Mid Ohio, Road America (Wisconsin), Sebring (Florida), Barber Motorsports complex (Birmingham AL.), Mosport (Canada), these race courses all have camping at the track and they'll have three day events - Practice Friday, qualifying Saturday (with a support race) and the main event and more support races on Sunday. This year I've camped at Daytona for the 24hr race, Sebring for the 12 hr race, and Road Atlanta for a Historic Sports car race. Camping is usually $25 to $50 for the weekend and race tickets run anywhere from $50 to $80 for the "superticket". Lots of friendly folks having a good time (beer) and enjoying the races and the outdoors. If you find that you really enjoy that sort of thing you can then join the Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) and become involved with flagging and other aspects of putting on a race (timing and scoring, marshalling etc.) or find a race team to help.

Old 05-23-2003, 03:08 PM   #3

Good sites

Thanks, these look like good sites. I'm not much the car racing type, but I have a friend who loves that sort of thing. I'll pass it along.
Old 05-23-2003, 03:23 PM   #4

JR: I read on another thread you are traveling to Utah, if you post your rough route, maybe people along the way can help out.

Bon Terra mine in south west Ill. was great. Same with Mamouth Mounds cave in Kentucky. Bowling Green Kentucky is home of the other fiberglass wonders-the Corvette (like Mecca, everybody must go once). Chatoonoga TN. has the best aquarium I have been to (almost 10 so far) as well as one of the prettiest states.

As Bill said, Road America is cool. Just the high octaine fumes in the air makes your beard grow, like testosterone in the air. Wicsonsin has a festival every weekend somewhere including a beer tent and music (hey, its Wisconsin). If you like good quality beer, the Great Taste of the Midwest is in August in Madison, one of the biggest beer tasting festivals in the state. Never more than a hour or two drive in any direction will get you to something. If your from the city, you will have no problem finding the "other sides of life" in Wisconsin. Cant help you with avoiding polyester, its the state materal including black socks and sandels and Old Style hawiian shirts.

HTH
Rich
Old 05-23-2003, 03:29 PM   #5

Bluegrass

Try some of the more remote Bluegrass Fests . We do 4 or 5 a year . The most remote was one in West Verginia , way back in the hills . the road in started as a two lane paved and turned into a one lane , then gravel then two tracks up the mountain and finaly up a creek bed. No big Winnies up there. These are mostly older people and no Booze. And then there was the mountain top in Alabama.We love them.
Old 05-23-2003, 03:42 PM   #6

Route in question

I have no idea which route I'll take right now. It will likely be HOT since I am traveling in August (I think) so I am leaning towards north. However, I drove 80/90/94 two years ago in July and it was plenty HOT there too.

I actually have no desire to grow a beard, tends to get stares when I am wearing a dress. JR is my initials, I go by Julie most of the time!

I'm leaning towards 70 across but folks tell me it is easier to pull a trailer through the Rockies going up from Arizona rather than through Denver or Evanston (done both northern routes with a small car and that Corolla was puffing up the inclines!). 40 is an option but it will be hot. 80 works, but there are a mess of toll roads and such until I get past Indiana.

So, lacking a perfect plan, I am thinking I'll just meander in the direction of whatever sounds good.

A bluegrass fest sounds good (though towing into a one lane WV road strikes terror in my heart!).
Old 05-23-2003, 09:39 PM   #7

Well if you wear a beard and a dress you will get looks... unless you are in Madison, its a pretty diverse croud there. I never cought the Julie part so I would guess no beard is a good thing, hope I didnt offend.

There is a blues fest in Superior WI in August, usually the same weekend as the Great Taste though so I havent made it but my brother has. It can be hot that time of the year. Wisconsin is known for brutally hot and humid summers and bitter cold winters.

AZ is a nice state too but I would rather miss it in summer. They tell me its a dry heat but I aint biting.

Rich

Might try browsing at a Barns & Nobal for state books. I got a pretty good one on Hawaii a few years ago. It was worth its weight in gold for finding the out of the way places. Locals would take down road signs and post no trespassing signs (on public land) just to keep out tourists.
Old 05-24-2003, 07:23 AM   #8

Dry heat

Rich said, "AZ is a nice state too but I would rather miss it in summer. They tell me its a dry heat but I aint biting."

When someone say that to me I say, "so is my oven."

Former Arizonan (Zonie)
Old 05-24-2003, 08:18 AM   #9

southwest

AZ is a nice state and we NEVER miss it in the summer. We're going in August this year. We roam around in the northern parts of the state...Monument Valley and the Four Corners. It's warm but nothing like Phoenix.
The canyons of Southern Utah are hiker's paradise. Many of the National Parks in the area offer 'out there' camping. We were at Natural Bridges last summer and stayed several days at the quiet little campground there.
I could go on forever and tend to get real excited just talking about that part of the country.
Old 05-24-2003, 02:09 PM   #10

AZ: I should have clearified, I have friends in Phoenix area. I was there in later Oct. last year and it was OK, pretty warm but not untollarable. Flagstaff was almost a cookie cutter town as Wisconsin as far as climate at that time of year. Even got snow on the way to the grand canyan. Kinda funny seeing people pulled over on the road taking pictures of each other... we realized later what they were doing, taking pictures of each other in front of a snow coverd bank ha ha. This year I want to drive out and stay in the desert a few days (hopefully in Jan. though).

Morgan: Nice annology, now that you mention it, my oven is a dry heat too. When a UW Badger basketball player was given a scolership a few years ago, his brother said he was nutz and shouldnt come. When asked why, his brother said, "you know how cold it gets in Wisconsin? Go stick your head in the freezer, thats how cold it gets...". He was from Atlanta or somewhere near so I guess its a matter of perspective.

Rich
Old 05-27-2003, 11:33 AM   #11

No offense taken!

I use my initials when I am trying to be anonymous, such as in a public bulletin board. However, it started getting way too confusing since I realized everyone thought I was a guy. Natural assumption given my initials and the fact that few women go off camping alone for long periods of time.

Thansk for all the ideas, I'll keep researching!
Old 05-29-2003, 10:36 AM   #12

I realized everyone thought I was a guy

I didn't....I like to try new things outside my normal interests, sometimes even things that I have doubts that I'd even enjoy. You just never know till you try it. One late summer festival out West that I'm sure will be different from any of your previous experiences is Burning Man. A dress and a beard wouldn't even get you one second glance at this festival!
Old 05-29-2003, 11:41 PM   #13

Burning Man (BM) 2000 was a year of truely bad weather. After camping in a mountaineering tent that year, and surviving 70 MPH dust storms, Donna told me "John, you are an engineer and engineers understand equations, solve this one: BM=RV"

Taking it one step further RV=Burro. I purchased our Burro When I realized that it would cost almost as much to rent an RV for the week of Burning Man as it would to purchase a small trailer. One of the best decisions and purchases I have made in the last few years. The Burro is right at home with us at Burning Man. And Floyd, (our plastic pink flamingo with propeller wings) just loves the desert wind.